My question is in regards to an adjacent tee marker affecting the path of the intended swing. NOT the set of tees I am playing. I understand that "my tee markers" are fixed, and only become moveable obstructions after my first stroke has been played. But, let's say I'm playing the White tees. And the Blue tees are on the same teeing area, only 7-8 feet behind the Whites. If I were to play from the extreme back corner of my White tee box, then the Blue marker is impeding my intended path. My question is, can I move said Blue marker??? I really need to buy as much space as possible on one particular tee at my club, and the marker there is an issue for me. I'm happy enough to continue to work around it, as I have. If that's the ruling. But it'd be great to remove it, and be able to utilize the entire box to my advantage. Thank you in advance to anyone who can provide some clarification.

Yes, you can move them. Rule 6(4), in your case you would not be moving tee-marker defining THE teeing area. I hope you did not hold up the course while waiting.

> (4) Restriction on Moving Tee-Markers When Playing from Teeing Area.

>

> The location of the tee-markers is set by the Committee to define each teeing area and should remain in that same location for all players who will play from that teeing area.

> If the player improves the conditions affecting the stroke by moving any such tee-marker before playing from the teeing area, he or she gets the general penalty for breach of Rule 8.1a(1).

> In all other situations, the tee-markers are treated as regular movable obstructions that may be removed as allowed in Rule 15.2.

All this with caveat that "by moving any such tee-marker" the words "any such" relates to markers defining THE teeing area.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

> @larrybud said:

> You're saying the two tee markers themselves are 8' apart? Who set up this crazy course?

X                        X (white tee markers)

(8 foot gap)

X                        X (blue tee markers)

Not at all uncommon to have a hole with two sets of tee markers that close together, particularly on a short par 3.

> @Adam11 said:

> If I were to play from the extreme back corner of my White tee box, then the Blue marker is impeding my intended path. My question is, can I move said Blue marker??? I really need to buy as much space as possible on one particular tee at my club, and the marker there is an issue for me.

Do you really think that the extra 3 or 4 feet makes a difference? Take a look at a satellite photo of the hole, and see how much difference those few feet make to the angle of your shot, its pretty much negligible. Its still negligible for a big sweeping hook or slice.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> > @larrybud said:

> > You're saying the two tee markers themselves are 8' apart? Who set up this crazy course?

>

> X                        X (white tee markers)

> (8 foot gap)

> X                        X (blue tee markers)

>

> Not at all uncommon to have a hole with two sets of tee markers that close together, particularly on a short par 3.

Can't say I've ever seen them that close. 120 vs 123?? Why bother?

It doesn't matter if the effect is negligible, or if you would not tee of back there. The teeing area is defined, and a player is completely within his right to tee off anywhere within the area. If a moveable obstruction (other tee marker, trash can, hole sponsorship sign, etc.) is in the way, he can move it out of the way. If the picture in the players head says it makes a difference, it makes a difference, even if physics disagrees.

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

> @larrybud said:

> > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > @larrybud said:

> > > You're saying the two tee markers themselves are 8' apart? Who set up this crazy course?

> >

> > X                        X (white tee markers)

> > (8 foot gap)

> > X                        X (blue tee markers)

> >

> > Not at all uncommon to have a hole with two sets of tee markers that close together, particularly on a short par 3.

>

> Can't say I've ever seen them that close. 120 vs 123?? Why bother?

Happens all the time when you've got a limited/small tee box area for a particular hole, but you still have to have a slot for every tee. Some places will just put the markers directly next to each other. Definitely more common on shorter courses that don't have a ton of real estate to work with, at least around here. It's not like this happens on *every* tee box, usually 1 out of the 18.

It particularly happens on my home course with the "Senior" tees. We've got our standard blue (tips), white (middle), and red (ladies) tees. The gold (senior) tees are sometimes on the men's tee box, sometimes the ladies. Some of the ladies tee boxes are very small, and the choices are put the gold/red markers together or have them relatively close to each other. There's one in particular that you probably couldn't have more than 8 feet between them if you wanted to.

> @SecondandGoal said:

> > @larrybud said:

> > > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > > @larrybud said:

> > > > You're saying the two tee markers themselves are 8' apart? Who set up this crazy course?

> > >

> > > X                        X (white tee markers)

> > > (8 foot gap)

> > > X                        X (blue tee markers)

> > >

> > > Not at all uncommon to have a hole with two sets of tee markers that close together, particularly on a short par 3.

> >

> > Can't say I've ever seen them that close. 120 vs 123?? Why bother?

>

> Happens all the time when you've got a limited/small tee box area for a particular hole, but you still have to have a slot for every tee. Some places will just put the markers directly next to each other. Definitely more common on shorter courses that don't have a ton of real estate to work with, at least around here. It's not like this happens on *every* tee box, usually 1 out of the 18.

>

> It particularly happens on my home course with the "Senior" tees. We've got our standard blue (tips), white (middle), and red (ladies) tees. The gold (senior) tees are sometimes on the men's tee box, sometimes the ladies. Some of the ladies tee boxes are very small, and the choices are put the gold/red markers together or have them relatively close to each other. There's one in particular that you probably couldn't have more than 8 feet between them if you wanted to.

That close together...just set both tee markers at the same place. Our course doesnt have a lot of choices on the tee boxes for women/senior tees and some of the tees for the men's so they place them together so they dont interfere.

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

> @larrybud said:

> > @SecondandGoal said:

> > > @larrybud said:

> > > You're saying the two tee markers themselves are 8' apart? Who set up this crazy course?

> >

> > X                        X (white tee markers)

> > (8 foot gap)

> > X                        X (blue tee markers)

> >

> > Not at all uncommon to have a hole with two sets of tee markers that close together, particularly on a short par 3.

>

> Can't say I've ever seen them that close. 120 vs 123?? Why bother?

Let the grass heal on another box?

Maybe you mean as apposed to setting them equal to each other.

Ok. To clarify the situation... I measured it today. My driver is 45.5". 2 of those makes 91", or 7'7". When measured, the back tee marker was only 2 to 3 inches beyond my box. That's interfering with my takeaway. Well, not anymore. I moved it and hit a very nice drive, with much more comfort. And I agree with the comments, that simply putting them together is the right move. There is another teebox back 25 or so yards from the one I play. Not sure why they're not using it at the moment. But, anyway... It's all good. Remove the marker, hit the ball, replace the marker. I've got no issue with that.

@davep043 To further clarify... The hole is a par 5, that plays slightly down hill. There's OB 20 yards left of the fairway, running all the way down the hole. And thick trees and brush 30ish yards right of the fairway, trees ranging down to about 320 off the tee. And a very large tree that guards the right half of the fairway from the tee. It's tight, and you really want to hit it far. It's eagleable with a solid driver. I draw the ball almost exclusively with the driver and 3 wood. So this is a VERY claustrophobic tee for me. It's begging for a fade. But I just don't feel comfortable aiming at leftside OB, and trusting it to come back. So, I play a high draw over that tall tree on the right. It's only about 70 yards from the tee, and maybe 40 feet tall. That's a high launch for a driver. For me, anyway. So, yes. The extra 7 feet I gain in distance from that tree, it does matter. At least, to me, I'm making my desired shot as easy to execute as I possibly can. Could be the difference between 280 in the fairway, or 180 god knows where, if I clip the top of the tree.

> @"Colin L" said:

> No. You are not allowed to move the tee marker. Pushing it downards is a movement.

- The **location** of the tee-markers is set by the Committee to define each teeing area and should remain in that **same location** for all players who will play from that teeing area

- If the player improves the conditions affecting the stroke by moving any such tee-marker before playing from the teeing area , he or she gets the general penalty for breach of Rule 8.1a(1).

Is pushing it downward changing the location? I would hope not but you never know which is why I ask.

> @HatsForBats said:

> Is pushing it downward changing the location? I would hope not but you never know which is why I ask.

It may or may not be changing its location but it is certainly moving it and the rule is clear.

**Actions That Are Not Allowed**

Except in the limited ways allowed in Rules 8.1b, c and d, a player must not take any of these actions **if they improve the conditions affecting the stroke:**

(1) Move, ....

Tee-marker for the teeing area when playing a ball from that teeing area.

But post #27 didn't say whether it did or not _improve the conditions affecting the stroke_