Private courses turned semi-private...

RhodyGolfRhodyGolf Members Posts: 198 ✭✭✭

I recently saw that Agawam Hunt in Rumford, RI and Metacomet in East Providence, RI are offering public tee times. Has anyone played either of these courses? Which one is worth a shot first?

Are there any other privates turned semi-private in the RI/CT/MA area that don't really advertise that you can play them without being a member?

Comments

• SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭

Don't really want to advertise it, but my club went semi-private this year. CC of Halifax, Halifax MA. Worst thing that's happened to the club. Used to be able to get in a 3-hour round on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, not any more.

• chippa13chippa13 Members Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Any course you can play in 3 hours on the weekend without being the first group out probably doesn't have enough members to survive.

• jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@RhodyGolf said:
    I recently saw that Agawam Hunt in Rumford, RI and Metacomet in East Providence, RI are offering public tee times. Has anyone played either of these courses? Which one is worth a shot first?

Just booked some times for 8/24 at Metacomet, will let you know how it goes. :)

Are there any other privates turned semi-private in the RI/CT/MA area that don't really advertise that you can play them without being a member?

Marlboro CC allows public play on Mondays I believe. The International goes back and forth on allowing the public. It looks like now you'd need to stay at their lodge to be able to play.

• DrudershDrudersh ClubWRX Posts: 2,966 ClubWRX

@chippa13 said:
    Any course you can play in 3 hours on the weekend without being the first group out probably doesn't have enough members to survive.

Or is a course you'll never get the invite to join.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
    Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
    Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
    Odyssey Versa 2-Ball
  • RIFairwaysRIFairways Members Posts: 1

Played both Agawum and Metacomet. Both are great tracks but I do prefer Metacomet. Metacomet were some of the best greens I've ever played when i played a couple years ago. I saw tee times for Pawtucket Country Club and Segregansett in Taunton on GolfNow. Louisquisset in North Providence and Glocester Country Club are two 9 hole private courses in Northern RI that allows some public play.

• umassgolferumassgolfer Members Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I played Agawam Hunt Club a few times 4-5 years back. Good course, but it was the laid-back vibe of the place and the "walk-up, walk-out" nature of it that was the coolest aspect to me, Mr. Public Course guy. Some really fun holes. Bummer to see the club is struggling. $65 to play that course (based on a quick search) seems like a steal for a nice Ross design, even more so if they're keeping it in good shape.

• ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2019 12:00pm #8

One of the biggest laments I hear about old courses and joining there, "do they have a range?" Fall River? Nope. Agawam Hunt (only early in the morning as they use the 18th hole as the range). Pawtucket? Wannamoisett? Metacomet? Nope. Most of the old courses don't have ranges to warm up with other than a net if you're lucky.

However, I wouldn't fall into the trap of calling a course that allows limited public play as "semi-private". To me, a semi-private means they allow almost as much public play, leagues, etc... as members, and usually with blocked off tee times on weekend mornings for members only. Specifically, a semi-private is where the members still have to make a tee time during the busy periods if they want to guarantee a tee time (vs just showing up, where private clubs are nicer, you just show up).

I have always liked Agawam Hunt and Metacomet layouts better (more open, less tree-lined, more elevation changes) than Pawtucket and Wannamoisett, (mostly tree-lined straight out and back). Then we add Ledgemont into the mix (and Crestwood in Rehoboth)... and there are a LOT of choices for membership money, and Ledgemont and Crestwood courses are both really fun and varied tracks (vs straight out and back and old greens mostly sloped back to front).

The only thing I can think of why Agawam is suffering a hard time, is because within 3 miles, you have 5 courses on that side of the Providence river, which are all private (A.H., Metacomet, Pawtucket, Wannamoisett, Ledgemont) . Something's gotta give, one or two (even three maybe) will lose when memberships start dropping. Then another 1-2 miles away, you also have Crestwood, in Rehoboth.

Which private club would you rather play at (speaking from experience here...)? Do you want to hear cars, highway, sirens (fire/police) quite a bit (not all the time) when you're playing? Or do you want it quieter, more secluded, where you don't have constant ambient sounds other than mostly nature? Former: AH, Metacomet, Pawtucket, Wannamoisett. Latter: Ledgemont (Mostly) and then Crestwood (really quiet). My money is on Crestwood. It's 15 minutes away from all those other courses and I know quite a few that went there from the other clubs. Another reason I'd put Crestwood against the others, even though it's newer? The outdoor bar they put in a few years ago. :)

--kC

Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*
  • VOXVOX Members Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

@chippa13 said:

I don't know about that. I have played Augusta National and Pine Valley in under three hours and they seem solvent.

• 1s1k1s1k A-Town, MAMembers Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VOX said:

@chippa13 said:

I don't know about that. I have played Augusta National and Pine Valley in under three hours and they seem solvent.

Nice humble brag

TM M5 9* Tensei Pro Orange 70 TX
    TM P790 UDI 2-Iron HZRDUS Black 85g 6.5
    TM P.7TW 3-PW Project X 6.5

Titleist SM7 WedgeWorks Raw
    46*/10F Project X 6.5 
    50*/08F, 54*/10S, & 60*/12D TI DG S400

TM Spider X 34" Navy
    TM TP5X
    Mizuno MP32's 2-PW 
    Callaway Legacy Black 3-PW 
  • kpm0915kpm0915 Members Posts: 26 ✭✭

Planning on playing Metacomet next Monday. Can anyone speak of current conditions?

• chippa13chippa13 Members Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@VOX said:

@chippa13 said:

Gee, sorry I didn't hedge my comment with the ultra-exclusive but of course someone has to toss out the exceptions.

• jdljdl Masshole MassMembers Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kpm0915 said:
    Planning on playing Metacomet next Monday. Can anyone speak of current conditions?

How was it?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file