I played my first two rounds of golf and I really enjoyed it!

Lookout!Lookout! Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

While I started to learn golf last October, I had not been out on the course yet this year (bad first instructor, busy at work, busy at home, and partly being scared of the course, etc). On Thursday night, I finally signed up for a tee time at a local Par 3. I would be playing from the most forward tees (2032 yards over 9 holes). I had fun, I wasn't too frustrated with myself because I knew I am still learning.

I had some reasonably good shots and some really bad shots but I figured that everyone does. My driver off the first tee sliced so hard it ended up on the #9 fairway. The next one went straighter but I never found it. However it got better. A 3 wood drive from the tee block landed on the green on the next hole, which was very empowering to see (I 3 putted in the end but oh well). Some of my wedge shots/putts were screwy because either I hit them way too hard or not hard enough. Just comes with experience I guess. Full disclosure for the putts, I used a 3 foot gimme circle around the hole just to keep moving (even though there was no one behind me). There was a group of 3 older gentlemen in front of me that I caught up to at about hole #7 ish but I didn't mind too much since there was no one behind me and it was only nine holes. My total time of play was about an hour and 30 (maybe a little less).

I ended up with somewhere in between a 49 and 54 (not sure if I included the extra stroke for each lost ball I had, do not completely remember to be honest). I was probably closer to 55. When I lost a ball, I would add an extra stroke to the hole (please let me know if official scoring should be different). I only lost 5 balls which I think is pretty good for a beginner.

On Friday morning, encouraged by Thursday night's game, I decided to go to a local Par 4 course which is 10 minutes from my house. The yardage was a bit longer (2641 yards over 9 holes - forward tees again). The first hole was a disaster, shot a 9 (par 5) including 2 lost balls. But it got better and I think I made par on a hole later on.

Same thing as the first game, some good shots and some bad shots. I had my first bunker shot experience which didn't go well (hit it too hard again) but now I know for next time. This course was more featureless (mostly flat grass/open areas). I think it's a Clublink course but that doesn't really mean anything to me. One thing I discovered is that I was hitting the ball farther than I was used to (thanks for my new instructor). For example on the last hole (#9), it was 126 yards. So I pulled out the 8 iron and blew it on the other side of the hole (again I know that 126 yards isn't that far but consider my 15 year old Golden Bear clubs as well as my beginner's swing). My total time of play was about an hour and 15 (I don't hang around much).

I ended up with somewhere between a 51 and 56 (I think I included the lost balls in the 51 (one stroke penalty each) but I could be wrong) with only 5 lost balls again.

I am happy that I am learning to play golf and I find it rewarding to play (give it time for the anger/rage to come but right now I choose to enjoy it). Sure there were bad shots that frustrated me but I tried my best to forget about them and go to the next shot. I was anticipating to be around 60 over 9 holes so I was pleasantly surprised to get the scores that I did (not fully authenticated of course but I like to think that I am trust worthy) . I will say that my biggest weakness in course management is my pace of play. Simply put I think/play too fast and I feel like I have to rush (even though there was no one behind me all game). That was the case with some of my driver shots because I was in a hurry/wanted to kill the ball. Going forward, I still need range time because I still don't really know what the ball will do/go once I hit it other than hoping it goes straight. But it was nice to be outside on a beautiful night/day and play a round. I actually liked playing by myself at least at the start because I will be stressed once I play with others.

Proof of scores (again, note from most forward tees and only counted a stroke for a lost ball (not sure if a lost ball is one stroke or two)):

My clubs for reference (Jack Nicklaus Golden Bears about 15 years old).
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1710534/lookout-s-witb-the-bag-of-a-beginner-on-a-journey

Comments

• platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,597 ClubWRX
    edited Jul 28, 2019 11:55pm #2

Your playing real well for starting out. Keep it up. I played a par 3 course, 3 times a week till I got better. I used a 3 wood off the tee box till I got better with the driver.

GBB Fusion HT 13.5 might change
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 6-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • sprcoopsprcoop Tucson, AZMembers Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭

The important thing is to respect the course (carts, divots, ball mark repair) other players (noise, honors, pace of play) and have fun. Sounds like you're doing that so keep up the good work. Definitely learn enough about the rules in order to keep score correctly (all lost balls are not created equal, OB/lost different than lost in a hazard) and also they can be used to your advantage (taking relief etc.). Don't get too stressed when playing with others, it's a big part of the game. As long as you respect the course and other players not too many folks really care how well you play. We all had to start somewhere.

Driver: TaylorMade R7 425CC 8.5* Grafalloy blue S
    3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R
    3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R
    2I: TourModel III True Temper S
    3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S
    SW: TourModel III True Temper S
    Putter: Cobra Anvil 005
    Ball: Ksig 3 piece

• NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the addiction. :)

• SavageCySavageCy Parts UnknownMembers Posts: 158 ✭✭✭

It only gets better. Welcome to the club.

TS3 9.5* w Tensei PO 60TX
    TS3 15* w Tensei PB 70TX
    913H 19* w AD DI 105X
    716 AP2 4-9 w C Taper Lite X
    SM6 47* SM5 51* 55* 59* w C Taper Lite X
    Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0
  • dan360dan360 Paisano Members Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome and congratulations. You have the right attitude, improvements will come quick at the beginning and then slower as you get better. Keeping positive is best. Play for fun for now, and enjoy it!!

WITB 29JUL2019
    • Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
    • shopping for this gap...
    • CB3 4-G 
    • PM Grind '19 54/60/64
    • Anser 2 Jim Wells Tour Proto 36"
  • Lookout!Lookout! Members Posts: 18 ✭✭

@Naptime said:

I want new clubs and to be fitted, does that help?

• Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • Neverfadeaway86Neverfadeaway86 Members Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭

@Lookout! said:

@Naptime said:

I want new clubs and to be fitted, does that help?

Being Fitted for clubs is definitely a good idea, now that doesn't mean that you need to go buy a brand new set of Irons and all the top of the line stuff right away.

I would look into getting a fitting done and looking into some Game Improvement Irons and see if you can find some used for a decent price and then getting some lessons is always a good idea early on so you don't learn bad habits, they are harder to break later on

Driver: Ping G30 9 degree
    3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy 15 degree
    5 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy 18 degree
    3 Hybrid Ping I20 20 degree
    5-Gap Wedge: Ping G30 
    Sand Wedge: Ping Glide 56 degree 
    ]Lob Wedge: Ping Glide 60 degree
    Putter: Lynx Black Cat BC3 center shaft 
  • admorkadmork Orlando, FlMembers Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

That's awesome!
    Keep it up. Golf is fun :)

• Lookout!Lookout! Members Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited Aug 6, 2019 2:47am #11

I played on Friday and I shot a 52, it was a bit more frustrating than the last time. I had about a 10 on one hole (lost 3 balls, water was involved) but on #8, I had a really PW onto which rolled to about 8 feet from the hole (which I two putted for bogey but I was really happy with the shot. Then I capped it off on #9 with my first birdie (within the gimme circle), it was a 9 iron 126 yard hole from the forwards but it felt good.

I need to still work on the basics though. My mid to low irons (3-6) suck hard.

Edit: Lost 5 more balls in the round.

Post edited by Lookout! on
  • NoTalentLeftyNoTalentLefty Members Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Naked ladies tees are a must.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
    3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
    3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
    6-GW Titleist AP1s
    53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
    58 degree SW Vokey SM6
    Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file