If you could go back in time would you tell yourself not to take up golf?

2bGood ·  
2bGood2bGood  5330WRX Points: 532Handicap: 3-8Members Posts: 5,330 Titanium Tees

I love golf, I play ALLOT of it. I spend ALLOT of money on it.

Over 20 years I figure I have spent around 10,000 hours golfing, practicing, and travelling for golf (with most of that in the last 10). That is about the same as 5 years of 40 hours a week. I won't even go into the $$$

Despite all I put into the game of golf, golf does not love me back. I chase it, it ignores and rebuffs me.

If I used my golf time differently, I could have made an extra $1M, I could have become a physician - for fun, I could have worked out and have the body of a greek god and live 10 years longer, I could have had a second secret wife in another city and died 10 years sooner, I could have finished my Novel and a few sequels, I could have seen more of the world, I could have built my dream car, etc etc etc.

Funny thing, is I can't imagine a life without golf. My friends are pretty much all golfers, I enjoy nothing more then getting out to play and it is my main activity to keep me healthy (I always walk). But I do know if it was not golf it may likely have been something else I did that, frankly, rewarded effort better than golf does.

So if you could go back in time, would you warn your younger self, not to get the golf bug?

Posted:

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ Winnipeg 9941WRX Points: 915Handicap: 4ishClubWRX Posts: 9,941 ClubWRX

Nope. I wouldn't. Golf saved me from getting a real job for almost 40 years. Soon I'll retire (my wife says, "retire from what?") and play even more golf.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

• BicknellCCBicknellCC  1453WRX Points: 1,093Members Posts: 1,453 Platinum Tees

Nope, I would tell myself to quit the track team, and focus on golf. I think I might be a better player now if I had started learning in my teens, instead of my forties.

Posted:
  • mesquite2mesquite2  772WRX Points: 99Members Posts: 772 Golden Tee

YES

Posted:
  • mantanmantan  2655WRX Points: 231Handicap: 13.5Members Posts: 2,655 Titanium Tees

My only regret is that I didn't start earlier (started in early 90s right after college). I think this game is easier to learn/develop as a kid than as an adult.

Posted:
    WITB (as of 2/1/20)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G410 22* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-PW
    Cleveland CBX 2 50*
    Cleveland CBX 2 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    Cleveland Frontline Elevado
    Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS

Advertisement
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing  5286WRX Points: 2,540Members Posts: 5,286 Titanium Tees

No way, because then I wouldn't be responding to this thread...
    Actually I started in playing the summer of 1965, and I just retired this spring at 68. That's a lifetime of fun, good shots, bad shots and a whole lot of things that keep me coming back.

The main thing for me is that golf has come full circle in that in that first year I played, I simply enjoyed it without any other reason to be out there pretty much. Just liked the outdoors, the freedom, the friendship, the fun, the enjoyment. Now that I'm retired I like the outdoors, the freedom, the friendship, the fun, the enjoyment.

Only thing I would have told myself back then would be to "be careful for the many years ahead of not losing focus on the early days of golf when it was so easy and fun". and "Don't get so entangled in the stress of numbers and competition and winning and mechanics and equipment that you don't just plain enjoy golf like you used to, or you will again some day far off".

So I think for me, taking up golf was definitely not something I would go back and talk myself out of, maybe I would go back to where golf was taking me up, and talk myself out of that...

Posted:
  • suprfli6suprfli6  470WRX Points: 55Handicap: 8-10Members Posts: 470 Greens

I’d go back and start younger. I only played a couple times as a kid and took it up seriously at age 25-26 and really wish I had gotten into it sooner.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • andrueandrue  1465WRX Points: 244Handicap: 21Members Posts: 1,465 Platinum Tees

No, I'd suggest I take it up earlier. Probably in my 30s instead of my 40s. It's such great fun and good exercise. Unfortunately I was having problems with my feet back then so probably wouldn't even have thought it possible.

Posted:
    Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • GolfWithdrawalsGolfWithdrawals Woodstock, Georgia 385WRX Points: 84Handicap: +1Members Posts: 385 Greens

Nope, I would go back and tell myself to focus only on golf, instead of tennis, basketball, football, baseball, etc. I would have played college golf instead of tennis, and who knows where i'd be now. Might be on tour, might be dead. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, Ferguson is correct, can't go back.

Posted:
    Driver: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 deg. Aldila Rogue Black 70x
    3-Wood: Titleist 917 F2 13.5 deg. Diamana Ltd. D+ White 80x
    2-Hybrid: Cobra Baffler
    4-iron: Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi Shaft: XP 115 Stiff
    PW thru 5-iron: Mizuno MP18 MB Shaft: XP 115 Stiff
    50, 54, 58 Wedges: Vokey Sm6
    Putter: MannKrafted Handmade Rattler 360g
  • RoodyRoody A little gust, Romes Rochester, NY 1191WRX Points: 275Handicap: 7.1Members Posts: 1,191 Platinum Tees

No way! I'd actually tell my younger self to join the golf team in high school, and forget about football. My one regret is that I didn't start playing golf sooner.

Posted:
    Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)
  • North ButteNorth Butte  11741WRX Points: 1,541Members Posts: 11,741 Titanium Tees

If I went back and told my 30-year-old self to never take up golf, by now I'd weigh 300+ pounds and probably be on my second or third heart cath (or worse). I suspect golf will end up literally being a life-saver for me in the long run, assuming I don't die of skin cancer.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • TIM929TIM929 Los Angeles 1309WRX Points: 763Handicap: 11.1Members Posts: 1,309 Platinum Tees

If I went back in time to talk about golf, the “old me” would slap the “new me” with all my “old me” strength for talking about golf.

And the “new me” would understand lol.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 10.5* Driver                  HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0       Tour Velvet std 
    Adams Tightlies 2 16*3 Wood        whatevers stock              Tour Velvet std  
    Titleist TS3 19*    Hybrid                 HZRDUS SMOKE 6.0       Tour Velvet std 
    Titleist 716 TMB  4-P                      DG S300                          Tour Velvet Align 2 wraps  
    Titleist SM7 52.12F (bent to 49.09)DG S400                           Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 56.10S                         DG S400                          Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SM7 60.12D                        DG S400                           Tour Velvet plus4 1 wraps
    Titleist SC Terryllium Fastback 1.5  34" loft 6.5                       Pistolini Plus  
    Titleist PROV1                                 ball
    Kirkland sig                                     glove 
    FJ rain glove                                    glove (rain)  

WITB:
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1729394-timbo929-witb/

Advertisement
  • ObeeObee  4071WRX Points: 872Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 4,071 ClubWRX

The exact opposite of telling myself NOT to play, I would have told myself to play more and younger. Would definitely have a career of some sort in golf now if that had been the case.

Posted:
    PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99  4667WRX Points: 563Members Posts: 4,667 Titanium Tees

On -, @BrianMcG said:

I would tell him to hit more range balls, and DO NOT date that Beth girl. Yikes.

I dated her, too. Don't regret that. She was too wild for wife material but um.... My real downfall was that Kelly girl. I stopped playing for the 10 years we were together.

Posted:
  • HonestPlayerHonestPlayer  264WRX Points: 92Members Posts: 264 Greens

Probably not. You have to find a main hobby or life is boring. It's a frustrating hobby however. But I enjoy it. The great thing about golf is you can play it alone , on the course or the range. The problem with team sports is you have to rely on others or you can't do it (although can often practice/train for it alone - however even that you can't always depending which team sport or activity you choose)

Posted:

Most birdies in a round in 2019 - 3
    Holes in ones career - 1
    Split Grip Birdie COUNTER - 1

• braincramp52braincramp52 Freeport, Illinois 6169WRX Points: 1,454Handicap: 10Members Posts: 6,169 Titanium Tees

No way! I would have started way earlier than at age 35. I thought golf was the dumbest sport on the face of the earth until then.

Posted:
    Ping G400 driver
    Ping Anser 17,20,23,27 Hybrids 
    Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW
    Ping Glide 3.0 50*
    Ping, Glide 54,58ES Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Snell MTB X

Just because your offended doesn't mean you're right
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Charlotte, NC 587WRX Points: 354Handicap: 8.7Members Posts: 587 Golden Tee

Heck no. I'd tell myself to start younger.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5° w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661
    Callaway GBB Epic sz 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75g
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL HMB 3-4 iron w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL 5-PW w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno S18 52°/9°
    Mizuno S18 57°/11°
    Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter
    Titleist Pro V1 golf balls

Advertisement
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day.  6497WRX Points: 587Handicap: XX.7Members Posts: 6,497 Titanium Tees

No way. I would though have gotten some fundamentals down straight away, starting with the grip first.

Posted:
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • caniac6caniac6  3282WRX Points: 921Handicap: 4Members Posts: 3,282 Titanium Tees

I would like to have skipped my first wife, but I never regret taking up golf. I'll be 65 in a couple weeks, and this gives me a sport I can still play.

Posted:
  • Soloman1Soloman1  2741WRX Points: 527Members Posts: 2,741 Titanium Tees

I would have used sunblock. We’re were so stupid in the 60’s and 70’s. We thought that deep tan from a wasted youth on the practice tee was a badge of honor. Golf is probably the only constant in my life.

Posted:
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • Mike_CMike_C  1583WRX Points: 201Members Posts: 1,583 Platinum Tees

I would have told my younger self to hit more practice balls, find a good instructor and keep at it. I had a few lessons when I was young from different teachers and this probably screwed me up more than anything (If I could have stuck with the first guy, it may have been different, he was in his 70s, and after one season with him and several lessons, he got cancer and passed away), I was sort of self taught anyway. I would have also told myself not to play backyard football either, which would have avoided a bad knee injury in my youth..... I enjoyed tennis as kid, but it seemed to get boring after awhile. Golf is always changing, new clubs, new courses, new people, that part I really like....

Posted:
    WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Epic Flash SubZero 15* Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon 945 PW Recoil proto 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 54/10 S Modus 3 115 W
    Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
    White Hot 2 ball blade, Never Compromise Dinero Baron,  or Cleveland BRZ 2
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • North ButteNorth Butte  11741WRX Points: 1,541Members Posts: 11,741 Titanium Tees

If I could go back in time and convince myself never to set foot on a course I can't play for under $100/month I'd be a wealthier man today and would never even know what I was missing. It's hard to keep them down on the farm once they've seen the big city.

Occasionally I'll play at the local muni course for one reason or another (usually due to tournaments at my club) and I'll get paired up with guys who've never played anywhere else. Honestly, they are having as much fun as those of us playing every week at one of the really nice private clubs in town. The difference is, they buy a yearly pass for $600 and play all the golf they want while I'm spending darned near that much some months.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 

Advertisement
  • farmerfarmer  8472WRX Points: 935Members Posts: 8,472 Titanium Tees

I would like to have started earlier, even though it would have been on sand greens.

Posted:
  • SoMoneyMuchWinSoMoneyMuchWin  31WRX Points: 25Members Posts: 31 Bunkers

I would like to have started earlier, but who knows if it would have been something I stuck with. I've been playing for 4 years now.

Posted:
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3  1183WRX Points: 356Members Posts: 1,183 Platinum Tees

I would tell me not to play football and lacrosse, I would have golfed

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

Advertisement
  • McgeenoMcgeeno  2165WRX Points: 292Handicap: 1.9Members Posts: 2,165 Platinum Tees

Heck no!

I've met so many amazing people, been to so many amazing places and had so many of my best experiences with friends and family on the course.

I would tell my younger self to never try to get rid of the fade he had growing up and to never chase the big powerful draw you see on TV!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.