If you could go back in time would you tell yourself not to take up golf?

2bGood2bGood Members Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love golf, I play ALLOT of it. I spend ALLOT of money on it.

Over 20 years I figure I have spent around 10,000 hours golfing, practicing, and travelling for golf (with most of that in the last 10). That is about the same as 5 years of 40 hours a week. I won't even go into the $$$

Despite all I put into the game of golf, golf does not love me back. I chase it, it ignores and rebuffs me.

If I used my golf time differently, I could have made an extra $1M, I could have become a physician - for fun, I could have worked out and have the body of a greek god and live 10 years longer, I could have had a second secret wife in another city and died 10 years sooner, I could have finished my Novel and a few sequels, I could have seen more of the world, I could have built my dream car, etc etc etc.

Funny thing, is I can't imagine a life without golf. My friends are pretty much all golfers, I enjoy nothing more then getting out to play and it is my main activity to keep me healthy (I always walk). But I do know if it was not golf it may likely have been something else I did that, frankly, rewarded effort better than golf does.

So if you could go back in time, would you warn your younger self, not to get the golf bug?

Comments

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,714 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@2bGood said:
    So if you could go back in time, would you warn your younger self, not to get the golf bug?

Of course not. I would do one thing different though: get lessons from the very beginning. I was able to get to single digit within a few years but my swing is not optimal and puts my back under more stress than a necessary. At this point it's too late though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,461 ClubWRX

Nope. I wouldn't. Golf saved me from getting a real job for almost 40 years. Soon I'll retire (my wife says, "retire from what?") and play even more golf.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

• BicknellCCBicknellCC Members Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, I would tell myself to quit the track team, and focus on golf. I think I might be a better player now if I had started learning in my teens, instead of my forties.

• tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I could go back in time, I don't think I'd be worried about golf.

Who am I kidding? I'd take my bag and a lifetime supply if Pro V1s to the 1800s and try to crush the entire Tom Morris family tree.

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1, 19*
    Long Iron: Ping iE1, 26*
    Mid Iron: Ping iE1, 32*
    Short Iron: Ping iE1, 41*
    Wedge: Ping iE1, 45*
    Gap: Ping Glide SS, 52*
    Lob: Ping Glide ES, 60*
    Putter: Yes Callie Mid, 41"
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
    Bag: Ping Mascot
  • mesquite2mesquite2 Members Posts: 765 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My only regret is that I didn't start earlier (started in early 90s right after college). I think this game is easier to learn/develop as a kid than as an adult.

WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No way, because then I wouldn't be responding to this thread...
    Actually I started in playing the summer of 1965, and I just retired this spring at 68. That's a lifetime of fun, good shots, bad shots and a whole lot of things that keep me coming back.

The main thing for me is that golf has come full circle in that in that first year I played, I simply enjoyed it without any other reason to be out there pretty much. Just liked the outdoors, the freedom, the friendship, the fun, the enjoyment. Now that I'm retired I like the outdoors, the freedom, the friendship, the fun, the enjoyment.

Only thing I would have told myself back then would be to "be careful for the many years ahead of not losing focus on the early days of golf when it was so easy and fun". and "Don't get so entangled in the stress of numbers and competition and winning and mechanics and equipment that you don't just plain enjoy golf like you used to, or you will again some day far off".

So I think for me, taking up golf was definitely not something I would go back and talk myself out of, maybe I would go back to where golf was taking me up, and talk myself out of that...

• BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would tell him to hit more range balls, and DO NOT date that Beth girl. Yikes.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • suprfli6suprfli6 Members Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I’d go back and start younger. I only played a couple times as a kid and took it up seriously at age 25-26 and really wish I had gotten into it sooner.

• andrueandrue Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No, I'd suggest I take it up earlier. Probably in my 30s instead of my 40s. It's such great fun and good exercise. Unfortunately I was having problems with my feet back then so probably wouldn't even have thought it possible.

Callaway Rogue Driver.
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
    Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
    Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
    Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
    Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
    Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).
  • GolfWithdrawalsGolfWithdrawals Woodstock, GeorgiaMembers Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭

Nope, I would go back and tell myself to focus only on golf, instead of tennis, basketball, football, baseball, etc. I would have played college golf instead of tennis, and who knows where i'd be now. Might be on tour, might be dead. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, Ferguson is correct, can't go back.

Driver: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 deg. Aldila Rogue Black 70x
    3-Wood: Titleist 917 F2 13.5 deg. Diamana Ltd. D+ White 80x
    2-Hybrid: Cobra Baffler
    4-iron: Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi Shaft: XP 115 Stiff
    PW thru 5-iron: Mizuno MP18 MB Shaft: XP 115 Stiff
    50, 54, 58 Wedges: Vokey Sm6
    Putter: MannKrafted Handmade Rattler 360g
  • RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Members Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No way! I'd actually tell my younger self to join the golf team in high school, and forget about football. My one regret is that I didn't start playing golf sooner.

Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I went back and told my 30-year-old self to never take up golf, by now I'd weigh 300+ pounds and probably be on my second or third heart cath (or worse). I suspect golf will end up literally being a life-saver for me in the long run, assuming I don't die of skin cancer.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 29, 2019 2:47pm #17

If I went back in time to talk about golf, the “old me” would slap the “new me” with all my “old me” strength for talking about golf.

And the “new me” would understand lol.

• ObeeObee ClubWRX Posts: 3,793 ClubWRX

The exact opposite of telling myself NOT to play, I would have told myself to play more and younger. Would definitely have a career of some sort in golf now if that had been the case.

PING G400 Max - Tour 65 S
    Callaway Rogue 15* 3W
    Titleist H1 19* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Titleist H1 23* Diamana S+ Blue 70hy
    Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY
    Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
    Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
    Don Wood Custom Grind 47* PW
    Don Wood Custom Grind 51* GW
    Titleist "Vokey Design" 56* K Grind
    Mizuno S18 60/7 LW
    Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 78.5*)
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@BrianMcG said:
    I would tell him to hit more range balls, and DO NOT date that Beth girl. Yikes.

I dated her, too. Don't regret that. She was too wild for wife material but um.... My real downfall was that Kelly girl. I stopped playing for the 10 years we were together.

• HonestPlayerHonestPlayer Members Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited Jul 29, 2019 3:56pm #20

Probably not. You have to find a main hobby or life is boring. It's a frustrating hobby however. But I enjoy it. The great thing about golf is you can play it alone , on the course or the range. The problem with team sports is you have to rely on others or you can't do it (although can often practice/train for it alone - however even that you can't always depending which team sport or activity you choose)

Most birdies in a round in 2019 - 3
    Holes in ones career - 1

• lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No way! I would have started way earlier than at age 35. I thought golf was the dumbest sport on the face of the earth until then.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Charlotte, NCMembers Posts: 343 ✭✭✭✭

Heck no. I'd tell myself to start younger.

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9.0° w/ HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 60g
    Callaway XR16 3w 15° w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    KZG 2i w/ DG S300
    Mizuno MP-32 3-PW w/ DG S300
    Mizuno MP Series 52°/7° w/ DG S300
    Mizuno S18 58°/8° w/ DG S400 
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter
    Titleist AVX golf balls
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No way. I would though have gotten some fundamentals down straight away, starting with the grip first.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to have skipped my first wife, but I never regret taking up golf. I'll be 65 in a couple weeks, and this gives me a sport I can still play.

• Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 30, 2019 2:35pm #25

I would have used sunblock. We’re were so stupid in the 60’s and 70’s. We thought that deep tan from a wasted youth on the practice tee was a badge of honor. Golf is probably the only constant in my life.

I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 30, 2019 2:37pm #26

I would have told my younger self to hit more practice balls, find a good instructor and keep at it. I had a few lessons when I was young from different teachers and this probably screwed me up more than anything (If I could have stuck with the first guy, it may have been different, he was in his 70s, and after one season with him and several lessons, he got cancer and passed away), I was sort of self taught anyway. I would have also told myself not to play backyard football either, which would have avoided a bad knee injury in my youth..... I enjoyed tennis as kid, but it seemed to get boring after awhile. Golf is always changing, new clubs, new courses, new people, that part I really like....

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Epic Flash SubZero 15* Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Cleveland RTX4 50 Mid Recoil 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 56/10 S Recoil 125 F5
    Ping Glide 2.0 60 SS 
    Odyssey O'Works 2 ball, or Cleveland BRZ 2 or Never Compromise Dinero  Baron 
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If I could go back in time and convince myself never to set foot on a course I can't play for under $100/month I'd be a wealthier man today and would never even know what I was missing. It's hard to keep them down on the farm once they've seen the big city.

Occasionally I'll play at the local muni course for one reason or another (usually due to tournaments at my club) and I'll get paired up with guys who've never played anywhere else. Honestly, they are having as much fun as those of us playing every week at one of the really nice private clubs in town. The difference is, they buy a yearly pass for $600 and play all the golf they want while I'm spending darned near that much some months.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to have started earlier, even though it would have been on sand greens.

• SoMoneyMuchWinSoMoneyMuchWin Members Posts: 31 ✭✭

I would like to have started earlier, but who knows if it would have been something I stuck with. I've been playing for 4 years now.

• Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would tell me not to play football and lacrosse, I would have golfed

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Heck no!

I've met so many amazing people, been to so many amazing places and had so many of my best experiences with friends and family on the course.

I would tell my younger self to never try to get rid of the fade he had growing up and to never chase the big powerful draw you see on TV!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file