If you could go back in time would you tell yourself not to take up golf?

13»

Comments

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX

@jdl said:

@BicknellCC said:
    Nope, I would tell myself to quit the track team, and focus on golf. I think I might be a better player now if I had started learning in my teens, instead of my forties.

Same here, except it was tennis, not track.

I planned on giving up track for golf when I started my freshman year......then they dropped the golf program.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now)Members Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I actually would have played more.....
    I was always surfing weekend mornings when my dad was playing golf at Montecito CC.
    I told him I'd play more if you guys played later in the day, surf's glassy until 11am.

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS or Xhot 15* OG Blueboard 73s
    G 410 19* Tour 85 R
    Apex  23 & 26 Kuro Kage S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    RTX4 54/10 and 58/8 2 dots
    Bettinardi BB1/ Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)
    Some kind of 3 or 4 piece urethane covered soft feeling ball
  • MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I could go back in time, there are a few things I’d tell myself not to do. Golf is not one of them.

• oikos1oikos1 Members Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's a ball and a stick. Who the **** doesn't want to hit a ball with a stick?

• memphishornmemphishorn memphishorn ClubWRX Posts: 822 ClubWRX

I would have gotten more committed earlier. Played the first time at 10-11 with ladies clubs. Started for real at 14, got to the 80’s at 16 and was a 5 hdcp at 18. Didn’t take many lessons early and just developed a swing without good fundamentals. Got older, married, kids, work and game sort of regressed to a mid 80’s shooter.

Found more of a solid game in my 50’s (today’s equipment helps) and am now a 65 y/o 7 hdcp that is not afraid to play competitively. Used be terrified and nervous to play tournaments or match play. Now I am my clubs current match play champion.

My dad got me started but always looked at it as pure recreation and thought I took it to seriously as a teenager. Wished he would have pushed me a little bit back then. Who knows?

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue Stiff
     Titleist 915F 15*Diamana Blue 70 Regular
     Titleist 904F 19* YS6 Stiff
    Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* and (816) 25* Bassara Regular
    Titleist AP1 718 6-GW1 Tensei Graphite Stiff
    Vokey 52.08 SM6, 56.14 SM6
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select 35”
    Titleist Hybrid 14 Bag

Classic Bag
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1967 WM2T 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Persimmon w/ Aluminum Insert
    MacGregor MT Tourney 1971 Split Sole irons 3-10
    MacGregor VIP 1967 Sand Iron
    Ping Anser 1969 85020
    Burton White Leather Bag
  • MyShortGameSucksMyShortGameSucks His doesn't.... Members Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like I will be one of the few to say yes...I would tell my 12 year old self to run away and don’t look back. While golf has brought me some positives and on occasion I still enjoy it now - on balance, over the years, it’s been a major time and $ suck and a borderline addiction I can’t seem to shake...

Titleist TS3 9.5 deg, Evenflow White S
    Titleist TS3 15 deg, Diamana S+ 80x
    Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H
    Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW, Nippon Modus 105x
    Mizuno S18, 50, 54, 60 deg Nippon Modus 120s
    SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback
    Titleist Pro V1x
  • dayvei214dayvei214 Members Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

as Tiger once said in an interview
    "NO"

• StrömsborgStrömsborg StockholmMembers Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nessism said:

@2bGood said:
    So if you could go back in time, would you warn your younger self, not to get the golf bug?

Of course not. I would do one thing different though: get lessons from the very beginning. I was able to get to single digit within a few years but my swing is not optimal and puts my back under more stress than a necessary. At this point it's too late though.

First reply nailed it.
    If I could do it all over I wouldn't get fooled by the quick improvements any beginner gets with his lousy swing.
    In the best case scenario I would take lessons and practice properly from the outset as a 14 year old but since that wasn't really practical I would go to a good teacher first thing when I start over at age 27 after a seven year hiatus, instead of waiting to 32.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?

Titleist 910 8.5°
    TM SLDR S 17°
    Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° and 24°
    Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
    Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
    EvnRoll ER2

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,162 ClubWRX

I would have taken it up sooner... and really tried to improve quickly early on.

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Titleist TS2 15* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 70g
    Titleist 915h 21*  Rogue black 85s
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT  SS1x
    Titleist SM6 52/58
    Odyssey PT2 

• mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would take it more serious and take lessons earlier. Before any of my bad habits could take hold. .

• MychMych Members Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 16, 2019 12:34pm #72

Golf has improved my home/work/life balance. I was playing tournament softball in my 20s and early 30s and that was tough on the wife/kids. I do wish I could go tell younger me to lay off the beer and sweets that are giving me knee problems now.
    But to play devil's advocate, I'd be retiring a few years earlier if I had spent my golf time on building a side business or just saving/investing the golf money.
    Overall I guess I can't complain about golf, it has given me a reason to set personal goals, compete, make good friends, and get some exercise and fresh air. My wife is a therapist and says I get grumpy when I don't play, so I guess it has been good for my mental health.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5~ F6 Baffler 16 ~ Baffler 2h ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A few of us kids from the neighborhood starting messing around with golf at ages 12-15, I enjoyed it, but typical teenage things started to happen and golf was passed over. Didn't play again til I was 31-32, I really wish I would have been playing all those years I didn't.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file