Tom Watson to join Jack and Gary on Masters 1st tee ?

Big Cat 3Big Cat 3 Members Posts: 697 ✭✭

That would be cool ... hope it happens

Comments

• idriveidrive gone golfin Members Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Is this something you read or wishful thinking?

My preference would be to see one of the winners from years past hit the 1st shot. Oldest 1st. Have to be at least 20 years from winning.

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Seems inevitable

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@idrive said:
    Is this something you read or wishful thinking?

My preference would be to see one of the winners from years past hit the 1st shot. Oldest 1st. Have to be at least 20 years from winning.

Watson is a two-time Masters champion ('77 & '81).

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • SBH9458SBH9458 Go Army! Beat Navy! Members Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d say yes.

• gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SBH9458 said:
    I’d say yes.

But not so fast. It will be a few more years, I think. He's still going to tee it up in select Senior Tour events; a few, he said yesterday.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • scruffynickscruffynick manchester, UKMembers Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Would be nice and I think it will happen but not yet. I think when Jack can't do it anymore or even player (but player has looked after himself brilliantly) Watson will step in.....about 3-5 years time is image. Wonder who would be along side him in say 8 years time? Faldo perhaps? Would have loved to seen seve start off the masters

I> @gvogel said:

@SBH9458 said:
    I’d say yes.

But not so fast. It will be a few more years, I think. He's still going to tee it up in select Senior Tour events; a few, he said yesterday.

I don't think that is part of the criteria, Nicklaus and Player still tee it up in an event or two a year. Watson doesn't play the Masters any longer, so that seems to be the main hurdle.

Ping G400
    Ping G 4-U
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

@scruffynick said:
    Would be nice and I think it will happen but not yet. I think when Jack can't do it anymore or even player (but player has looked after himself brilliantly) Watson will step in.....about 3-5 years time is image. Wonder who would be along side him in say 8 years time? Faldo perhaps? Would have loved to seen seve start off the masters

Faldo would be an obvious choice eventually, Tiger may be sooner than we think the way his body seemed to behave the 2nd 1/2 of the year. Ray Floyd? Freddie? Lots of great past champions.

Ping G400
    Ping G 4-U
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dlygrisse said:

@scruffynick said:

Faldo would be an obvious choice eventually, Tiger may be sooner than we think the way his body seemed to behave the 2nd 1/2 of the year. Ray Floyd? Freddie? Lots of great past champions.

Faldo is 3 time winner, so once Jack has had enough, he and Gary can do it for a while.

15-20 years from now, it will be Gary, Tiger and Phil.

• Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 29, 2019 7:01pm #12

@cdnglf said:

@dlygrisse said:

@scruffynick said:

15-20 years from now, it will be Gary, Tiger and Phil.

One day Gary may realize living as long as Moses ain’t so great. Might be a good time to start smoking.

• LICCLICC Members Posts: 906 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dlygrisse said:

@scruffynick said:

If it is not someone at the level of Gary Player, they should forego the ceremonial first drive until Tiger and Phil are ready to take it on.

• Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t really like the one timer winner starters. I would say 3 a minimum, but that would exclude Watson who prob does deserve it at some point. So then I would have to throw in Crenshaw. Yes my Texas bias leads me to favor him over Watson. But this is assuming we are only considering Masters records.

Tom Watson, Ben Crenshaw and Jose Maria can handle the duties after Jack and Gary, and until Faldo is ready. Much later, Phil and Tiger if they are able.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

@gvogel said:
    Tom Watson, Ben Crenshaw and Jose Maria can handle the duties after Jack and Gary, and until Faldo is ready. Much later, Phil and Tiger if they are able.

Why bother? They would go from legends of the game to pretty good players (Watson is a great but not at the Nicklaus, Palmer, Nelson, Snead, Player level).

Old news. I think they got over that and are friends again.

@LICC said:

@gvogel said:

Why bother? They would go from legends of the game to pretty good players (Watson is a great but not at the Nicklaus, Palmer, Nelson, Snead, Player level).

Some might debate that with Watson at 8 majors, and Player of the Year more than a few times.

edited Jul 29, 2019 7:56pm #20

@gvogel said:

@LICC said:

@gvogel said:

Some might debate that with Watson at 8 majors, and Player of the Year more than a few times.

I could see Watson at most. The others you mentioned, not really. The Masters hasn't always had ceremonial starters. It has skipped for years at a time when there weren't players that fit the role ready to do it. Since 1980 there has been Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player. I don't see Crenshaw or Olazabal or Faldo as being right for it. Maybe Watson, maybe not.

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gvogel said:

Old news. I think they got over that and are friends again.

Ok, that's good. You sure?

Here looks like GP tellin Condi, "Tom has BO" ; )

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Inevitable that it will eventually happen.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019

@LICC said:

@gvogel said:

Huh??? Sorry but watson is without doubt one of the all time greats.... Period! Put him in the top 10 of all time golfers, so he definitely deserves to be a starter at the masters if asked

@LICC said:

@gvogel said:

@LICC said:

@gvogel said:

I could see Watson at most. The others you mentioned, not really. The Masters hasn't always had ceremonial starters. It has skipped for years at a time when there weren't players that fit the role ready to do it. Since 1980 there has been Gene Sarazen, Byron Nelson, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player. I don't see Crenshaw or Olazabal or Faldo as being right for it. Maybe Watson, maybe not.

Curious why not faldo..... Won it 3 times and was the man to beat for best on a decade. Couldn't think of a better choice in the future

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@LICC said:

@gvogel said:

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
    edited Jul 29, 2019 9:49pm #26

@scruffynick said:

@LICC said:

@gvogel said:

@LICC said:

@gvogel said:

Curious why not faldo..... Won it 3 times and was the man to beat for best on a decade. Couldn't think of a better choice in the future

Oh please. To go from Nelson, Snead, Arnie, Jack, and Player to Faldo?

• Big Cat 3Big Cat 3 Members Posts: 697 ✭✭

Watson Faldo Crenshaw next wave ... Langer Jose Marie and Fred

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@LICC said:

@scruffynick said:

@LICC said:

@gvogel said:

@LICC said:

@gvogel said:

Oh please. To go from Nelson, Snead, Arnie, Jack, and Player to Faldo?

Once you discount their PGA Championship wins, it becomes more doable. ;)

Titleist 915D3 9.5
    Titleist 917Fd @ 14.25
    Mizuno Clk 19, 22
    Titleist 716mb 4-Pw
    Vokey SM7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 8
    Titleist ProV1

@Big Cat 3 said:
    Watson Faldo Crenshaw next wave ... Langer Jose Marie and Fred

Will never happen. Not a chance. Only Watson, maybe.

• CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiMembers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jordan, Bubba and Scotty

Or

Sergio, Reed and Willet

Either way would be pretty epic.

Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1
  • KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

Reed, Bubba, and Sergio will be honorary starters in the year 2050.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file