Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Favorite Public Course in the Greater Houston Region

CougarRed ·  
CougarRedCougarRed Southeast Texas 175Members Posts: 175

Vote for your favorite. I can only list 10. If your favorite is not listed (Wildcat Lakes, La Toretta, Gus Wortham, Meadowbrook Farms, August Pines, etc), post it below.

Posted:

Favorite Public Course in the Greater Houston Region

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• RickKimbrellRickKimbrell Weston Lakes, TX 1514Members Posts: 1,514
    Wilderness

Not many people voting. I voted Wilderness.
    But, since I am bored.......
    Woodforest is a great track but running tournaments and dealing with their management is not worth the effort.
    Cypresswood Tradition - just don't like it. Cypress course...yes. Tradition...nope.
    HMR...is a favorite but not above Wilderness.
    Blackhorse, both North and South, nice tracks...again not above Wilderness.
    GCOH...played it not near time for the Houston Open and honestly was not impressed with the shape it was in.
    Memorial Park...who knows...not open yet. Spent too many 6-1/2 hour rounds on it when the city was running it to want to play it much. Will be interesting to see what it turns out to be.
    Moody Gardens....not worth the drive for me. One of the most disappoint tracks I have played in Greater Houston Area.
    Panther Trail...always enjoyed it.
    Eagle Pointe...15 great holes of golf, 1 hole so so, 2 absolutely stupid. Last time there...disappointing shape.
    Others mentioned but not on voting list...
    Gus Wortham...nice redo of course, great shape but the routing leaves something to be desired.
    Augusta Pines...not enough experience there to say. La Toretta...last time there...not so good shape.
    Meadowbrook Farms...playing tournament there on Thursday. Hope it is in better shape than the painted greens I played on there last time.
    Wildcat Lakes...fun but just so so.
    Not mentioned...
    Wildcat Highlands...you never know if they have let the native grass grow up and it is really in play or if they have scalped it to the ground and hitting from it is not much worse than hitting from the rough...you just never know how the course will play before you get there. Leave it as a true hazard or mow it down and leave it wide open...just be consistent.
    Westfork in Conroe...fun layout, never in super shape but has character. Always worth a replay.
    Sharpstown...boring and a City of Houston boondoggle buying it for more than it was worth after they passed on a great deal with much more property and a full 18 holes.
    Red Wolf Run....grass would be nice. Only thing green in the fairway is weeds. Greens like putting on 70s shag carpet
    Gleannloch Pines...nice folks, 18 good holes. other 9...so so at best. Memorable...nope
    Cypress Lakes...pretty much always in good shape. Fun to play.
    Sienna Plantation...not a bad layout but it seems there is always something wrong there. Could be bunkers today, greens tomorrow, who knows.
    Southwyck...fun course. Will they ever in my lifetime have bunkers that are playable.
    Tour 18...because of what it is, no continuity to the layout. Fix the **** bunkers...they are horrible
    Quail Valley...Eldorado...target golf, fun to play, another bad bunker course. Be careful of the mesh sticking up out of the sand. City of Missouri City will not spend the money to fix it. And then there is La Quinta...the red headed step child of Quail Valley. Good layout. Probably has the best 9 of the 36 holes at QV.
    Longwood...27 holes. Must be hard to maintain all 27 holes. They seem to always be mediocre...plow up 9 and just
    keep the other 18 in good shape. Yes, I know the flooding has been an issue.
    Timber Creek...used to be great expect for the gravel bunkers. Few weeks back...course looked like it was suffering from no water. Greens had huge bare spots, dry as a bone...had to pay full price....no more
    Cinco Ranch...decent track, generally in good shape...slow slow play
    Oakhurst of Kingwood...huge huge greens. Hit or miss condition. When in good shape...joy to play. But, you never know.
    Stonebridge Newport...wow...used to hold an LPGA event there. Definitely lost its luster. Last time there...terrible shape...but that was several years ago. Not going to drive that far for mostly weeds.
    What did I miss...? Who did I not make happy?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast Texas 175Members Posts: 175
    Cypresswood Tradition

Thanks Rick! I came back to golf in 2018 after playing no more than once a year for 15 years. Hope to play all the courses listed above over the next year or so.

I am playing Tradition on Saturday for the first time in many years. I really liked it back in the day, and voted for it in the poll. May come to regret that...

Played Gus Wortham last weekend and loved it except for the amenities. What a fun test of golf! I actually enjoyed it more than Blackhorse South which I played in May, and BH South is a very solid course.

Played Wildcat Highlands a couple of times recently. For a links style, I like it better than Southwyck. But it's nothing special. In particular, the bunkers suck.

Played Meadowbrook Farms last year. Not impressed.

Plan to play GCOH in September before the Houston Open. Will be going to Moody Gardens in November. Looking forward to Memorial Park opening in November as well. Need to get to Wilderness obviously...

Rick, which is the 9 to avoid at Gleannloch Pines?

Posted:
  • cjblake09cjblake09  1924Members Posts: 1,924
    Woodforest

Never had to deal with the staff for a tournament but i have always loved Woodforest. Greens are the best in Houston for sure.

As for Gleannloch i like the Loch to Pines 18 the best. Never like starting out on a par 3 in Glean.

Augusta Pines would be higher on my list but they have had so many issues with the grass on the fairways and rough is has moved down a good way. They do however make really good drinks at the bar inside.

Posted:
  • tideridertiderider  2367Members Posts: 2,367
    Wilderness

wilderness is outstanding ... very reasonably priced and always in great condition when i played ... interesting holes with no suburban housing to deal with ... my crew loved going out there ... wish i had played it more often ... worth the drive on the weekends, for sure ...

Posted:
    Cypresswood Tradition

Played Cypresswood Tradition this morning. The course was in great shape. The greens were true and the bunkers had sufficient sand. Great layout - just like I remembered it aside from one tee box change due to Harvey. I like it better than Blackhorse South for sure. Better than pre-renovation Memorial Park.

At $90 with range balls and a 35 minute drive vs $55 at Gus Wortham and a 15 minute drive, I would be happy at either!

===================
    I've found two golf leagues that play many of the courses described in this thread in a tournament setting, generally on Sundays. Both appear to have long histories:

Little John Golf League

Houston Amateur Golf Association

===================

PS. Found this article...Mike Bailey at Golf Advisor ranks his Top 10 in the Houston area:

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/my-top-10-public-golf-courses-in-the-houston-area

Posted:
    Post edited by CougarRed on
    Cypresswood Tradition

I posted a similar poll on the Greater Houston Golfers facebook page, which has ~1,100 members. The results so far, with about 8% of the members voting:

Wilderness - 22 votes
    Woodforest - 16
    Eagle Pointe - 15
    High Meadow Ranch - 8
    Cypresswood Tradition - 8
    Gus Wortham - 4
    Moody Gardens - 3
    Memorial Park - 3
    GCOH Tournament - 3
    Timber Creek - 3
    Blackhorse South - 2
    Red Wolf - 2
    Longwood - 1
    The Falls (closed) - 1

Posted:
    Post edited by CougarRed on

Advertisement
  • DonatelloNobodieDonatelloNobodie  169Members Posts: 169

Is Windrose still operating? I used to enjoy that, when I lived in TX many years ago.

Posted:
    Cypresswood Tradition

@DonatelloNobodie said:
    Is Windrose still operating? I used to enjoy that, when I lived in TX many years ago.

Sure is.

http://www.windrosegolfclub.com/request_tt/

Posted:
  • RickKRickK  78Members Posts: 78

@CougarRed said:

Rick, which is the 9 to avoid at Gleannloch Pines?

Not necessarily avoid but I don't really care for the Loch 9. It does not seem to fit with the other 2 9s.

Posted:
  • SC-TX 88SC-TX 88  1063Members Posts: 1,063
    Woodforest

I don’t mind Houston National. The greens are usually in decent shape and I’ve found that course always drains the best out of any in Houston after a decent amount of rain.

Posted:
    M5 9.0 w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX tipped 1”
    M6 TI 3 (actual 14.8) w/Tensei Pro White 80 TX tipped 1.5”
    Miura MB 001 3-PW w/ PX LZ 7.0
    Vokey Indigo 452F (51 actual), Vokey SM7 Blue 54.08M (55 actual), Vokey WedgeWorks Blue 60T (52 PX LZ 6.5, 54/60 DGTI S400)
    Scotty Studio Select NP2/Taylormade Spider X
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

Course dependent: P790 UDI w/ PX LZ 7.0; M5 5 wood w/Fuji Speeder 9.2 TS X

• scott_Donaldscott_Donald Aberdeen, Scotland & Houston 2561Members Posts: 2,561
    Cypresswood Tradition

Interesting read after seeing this after a post from @CougarRed

My favourites so far -

Cypresswood Tradition
    Cypress Lakes
    Blackhorse South
    Blackhorse North
    Wildcat Lakes

Still to discover more with Woodforest and Wilderness still number one on the list to try.

Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
    • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
    • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 46*F, 50*F C taper X
    • Vokey SM7 RAW 54*M, 60*M S400
    • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Advertisement
    Cypresswood Tradition

Played nine holes at Timber Creek today (the Creekside 9). Never played Timber Creek before, and they offer a cart-fee birthday round the week before or after your b-day. So I thought I would check it out.

I liked the layout a lot. Plenty of undulation. Lots of trees and no houses to be seen. Large greens & wide fairways but lots of trouble if you hit it sideways.

The conditions, however, are substandard compared to Gus Wortham or Cypresswood Tradition. Lots of weeds growing on the greens. Washed out bunkers with a hard gravel layer. Hard greens (hardly made a divot).

On a personal note, shot my first under par nine since coming back to the game in 2018. Hit two flagsticks and made three birdies.

Posted:
  • RickKRickK  78Members Posts: 78

@CougarRed said:
    Played nine holes at Timber Creek today (the Creekside 9). Never played Timber Creek before, and they offer a cart-fee birthday round the week before or after your b-day. So I thought I would check it out.

I liked the layout a lot. Plenty of undulation. Lots of trees and no houses to be seen. Large greens & wide fairways but lots of trouble if you hit it sideways.

The conditions, however, are substandard compared to Gus Wortham or Cypresswood Tradition. Lots of weeds growing on the greens. Washed out bunkers with a hard gravel layer. Hard greens (hardly made a divot).

On a personal note, shot my first under par nine since coming back to the game in 2018. Hit two flagsticks and made three birdies.

Congrats on the under par nine. I played Timber Creek in the Houston Senior Travelers league last week. I don't understand what has happened to the course. At one time it was always in great shape. The last 2 times I have played there, the greens looked as if they hadn't seen water in a week. Also lots of weeds and it seems as if they have just given up on the bunkers. They have always had the heavy gravel like sand in them but now they are just compacted and terrible to play from. And, they still charge you as if they were in great condition.

Posted:
    Cypresswood Tradition

Rick, do you prefer the Littlejohn league or the Houston Senior Travelers?

Have you ever played in the HAGA league? Any other leagues you can shed light on?

Many thanks!

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file