Cleveland CBX 2 wedges

BAlberstadt ·  
BAlberstadtBAlberstadt GolfWRX Staff WriterUnited StatesMarshals, Media Staffer  159WRX Points: 50Posts: 159 Marshals

Posted:

Comments

• internalWalrusinternalWalrus Members  3WRX Points: 2Posts: 3 Starters

Hopefully this means more people willing to sell their CBX 1s (to upgrade)... for a leftie they're kind of hard to find I've realised.
    So tempted to try the CBX clubs.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers  1696WRX Points: 395Posts: 1,696 Platinum Tees

I think they look good for what they are.

Posted:

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

• TS2
    • 716 MB 5-PW
    • MG 52 SB-09 | 56 LB-09 | 60 LB-09
    • Select Newport 2
    • ProV1x
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members  1342WRX Points: 202Handicap: 12Posts: 1,342 Platinum Tees

I wonder why they didn't take the grooves all the way out to the toe like the Sure Out?

Posted:
  • lspky_muskielspky_muskie Members  927WRX Points: 73Handicap: 14Posts: 927 Golden Tee

Cannot say enough good things about the originals. Will probably ride out the year with them, and demo these in the spring.

Never felt the need to open up the face on these, and I feel like that defeats the point of the originals.

Posted:
  • spring7spring7 Members  733WRX Points: 134Posts: 733 Golden Tee

i buy a lot of wedges, and I bought a 52 original when they came out and really never used it-after some recent charting my biggest weakness has been swings inside of 120, I have been using that 52 (bent 51) for a few weeks and I am hitting more greens and closer to the flag then i have in 15 years - I ordered up a 56 today to compliment it and may add the new 60 next year. I have been coming to a realization of my skill set and age that i need club forgiveness.

Posted:
    M2 9.5*
    EF 15*
    816H1 20*
    HM 4/5 Iron
    HMP 6-P
    RTX-4 G/S/L
    TM Mullen 2
    Z-Star/AVX

• Big BenBig Ben Members  9341WRX Points: 511Handicap: 5Posts: 9,341 Titanium Tees

I’m all over the 54 degree. I to have been inconsistant from 100-115yr. Heck with it, this will do the trick!

Posted:
    Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1

Advertisement
  • DE-ILLINIDE-ILLINI Members  377WRX Points: 82Handicap: 14Posts: 377 Greens

I love my original 58 CBX. It has been a great club for me. I like the looks of the new ones, but it would be hard to take it out of my bag.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade M3
    3W: Ping G400
    3H & 4H: Cobra Baffler
    5 - SW: Ping G25
    58*: Cleveland CBX
    Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser
  • MyShortGameSucksMyShortGameSucks His doesn't.... Members  1390WRX Points: 134Handicap: 3Posts: 1,390 Platinum Tees

I really like the looks of these new ones. The original versions with the undercut cavity were kind of fugly although I did play them for a bit and they definitely delivered on their goal of more forgiveness vs a standard blade wedge. Ultimately I dropped them as I did not like the 60 deg out of bunkers and around the greens. Hoping this new sole grind is an improvement...

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 9.5 deg, Evenflow White S
    Titleist TS3 15 deg, Diamana S+ 80x
    Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H
    Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW, Nippon Modus 105x
    Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, Nippon Modus 105x
    Mizuno S18, 54 deg  Nippon Modus 120s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 60 deg K, Nippon Modus 120s
    SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback
    Titleist AVX
  • JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 522Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees

I’m considering a 52* wedge bent to 51* which will be used almost 100% for full shots. Could be one of these (as I had a 52* in the original), or a Mack Daddy 5 W-Grind when released or an RTX4 Mid. I have an RTX4 in 54* supposedly arriving today so I’m going to give that a good trial on full shots before I decide. To be honest it’s going to be used when the ground isn’t rock hard over summer when I need my 64* in my bag, once that goes into hibernation I’ll be the new club for better gapping.

I’m sure the CBX2 plays really well, but I do find the line a bit **** ugly and big.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairways: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff and TaylorMade M6 3 Wood
    Utility: Wilson Staff Model Utility #3 Regular KBS
    Hybrid: Titleist TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G410 5-PW (#5 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 50, 54 and 58
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).
  • MMB1500MMB1500 Members  6613WRX Points: 558Handicap: GolfPosts: 6,613 Titanium Tees

Chunky but I actually quite like them. I'd be happy to try these.

Posted:
  • mantanmantan Members  2669WRX Points: 249Handicap: 13.5Posts: 2,669 Titanium Tees

The term Hollow Cavity seems strange for a wedge. But it was good to see that the cavity is actually filled with a dampening gel. I get the point is forgiveness - but a hollow cavity wedge sounds like it would be dead on feel.

Posted:
    WITB (as of 2/18/20)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    Cleveland Launcher Turbo 22* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-PW
    Cleveland CBX 2 50*
    Cleveland CBX 2 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    Cleveland Frontline Elevado
    Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS

Advertisement
  • JohnKHawkJohnKHawk Members  828WRX Points: 146Handicap: 10Posts: 828 Golden Tee

Would love to see comparison picks between the CBX1 & CBX2. I liked the idea behind these wedges but when I saw the original CBX in person I thought they were just too big at address to suit my eye. I wonder if the CBX2 are any smaller.

Posted:
  • NorbooNorboo Members  2340WRX Points: 157Handicap: 12Posts: 2,340 Platinum Tees

When is the release date?

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
    Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
    Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
    Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
    Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
    Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
    Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
    Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993
  • HedgehogHedgehog EUMembers  534WRX Points: 213Handicap: 5Posts: 534 Golden Tee

These will go into my mothers bag for sure, looks very fitting to a high handicapper that want's a wedge.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 9° Ventus 6x / Taylormade M6 15° Hzrdus Yellow75 6.0 / Ping G410 Hybrid 19° AD-DI85x / Ping G410 Crossover 21°Hzrdus Smoke90 6.0 / Ping iBlade 5-PW Modus3 105S / Cleveland RTX4 52/56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide Forged 60° DG TI S400 / Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 33,5"Stability Shaft / Titleist ProV1
  • WoodersonWooderson Members  2073WRX Points: 214Handicap: 13Posts: 2,073 Platinum Tees

Had the first CBX in 50 and 56. I really liked them. I am definitely their target market. A 14 cap that really struggles from 110 and in. Dropped the CBX for 50/54 stealth glides. And feel like I'm losing a shot a round due to the change. I know 100% it's caused by skill and technique but at 40 with kids I don't have the time to practice. Put me at 110 yards with my 50 and I have no idea where it is going. These look like a noticeable improvement and I will definitely give the 50 a shot. Should match up with my 410's better also. Good job Cleveland.

Posted:
    Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
    Ping G410 LST 10.5° Evenflow t1100 White 65s 44.5"
    Ping G410 LST 14.5° Evenflow t1100 White 75s
    Ping G410 20.5°
    Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrids
    TaylorMade p790 6-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth GW/SW/LW
    Piretti Potenza/Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E
  • NorbooNorboo Members  2340WRX Points: 157Handicap: 12Posts: 2,340 Platinum Tees

any word on bounce options?

Posted:

Advertisement
  • CelerasCeleras Members  297WRX Points: 103Posts: 297 Greens

Originals are great for me, so I am glad the line is here to stay. Keep cranking them out baby!

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9.5* Ping Tour 65 Stiff
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15* PX EvenFlow Blue 75 6.0
    Ping G410 Hybrid 15.5* Alta CB 70 Stiff
    Ping G400 Hybrid 19* Alta CB 70 Stiff
    Ping G400 5-UW AWT 2.0 Stiff, Green Dot
    Cleveland CBX Wedge Set 54/58*
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #7
    Callaway Fusion 14
  • bbfifasbbfifas Members  519WRX Points: 130Posts: 519 Golden Tee

Low cap here and testing the CBX 50 for a few sessions now. With a 45* PW I find the need for a 50 gap wedge and this CBX provides me with better distance control offcenter hits. Blade style wedges really do suck out on the toe or high in the face, and I have to face reality my biggest errors with wedges are slightly fat and toe side and CBX shines in this department so far. Yes it is big... but after a few sessions it's not as noticeable to me, I like the shape. The up side also is pitching with this club, again little mishits feel better and slightly fat hits are much better due to sole. I chipped a bunch of times today with the CBX 50 and a Vokey 50 and the reality is over a large sample size the CBX has less mis hits and closer proximity .

I mean we all love hitting vokeys great but I'm at a point where missing a green from 100 yards or not getting close just is killing my game, if this wedge can help 1 shot a round then it's worth it or give me a slightly better look at a few putts then its worth it. I'm going to keep my 58M grind Vokey as that is great out of rough and I just like that wedge around the green when I need to elevate but I will be getting the new CBX2 54* with S Grind sole. That looks like a great bunker club. Also I like the lighter shaft vs S400 shafts that just don't get along with me.

Posted:
    Mizuno St190, 8.5*, Tensei White 70X shaft
    Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
    Taylormade V-Steel 5 wood, stock stiff
    Cobra F7 Hybrid 20* stiff Fuji Pro 75
    Cobra Forged Tec 5-PW, KBS C-taper lite stiff
    Cleveland CBX 50*, 115g DG
    Cleveland CBX 56*, 115g DG
    Cleveland RTX3 60* Midgrind 9* bounce
    Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34"
    Bridegstone Tour BX

• JoelsimJoelsim Members  1419WRX Points: 522Handicap: 12Posts: 1,419 Platinum Tees

On -, @Norboo said:

No bounce options. There are three soles, but only one per loft, in other words the 46-52 have a V sole, 54-56 an S Sole and the higher ones a C sole.

On -, @Norboo said:

30th August US.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 10.5 Reg Ping Alta 44.5”
    Fairways: Cobra King Ltd Black 5 Wood Aldila Rogue Stiff and TaylorMade M6 3 Wood
    Utility: Wilson Staff Model Utility #3 Regular KBS
    Hybrid: Titleist TS2 21* Hybrid Regular Tensei Blue
    Irons: Ping G410 5-PW (#5 at power spec loft)
    Wedges: Callaway MD5 Jaws 60W Low and Mack Daddy 4 64S, Cleveland CBX 2 50, 54 and 58
    Putters: Bettinardi Studio Stock #3 (Jumbo Lamkin), Bettinardi Studio Stock #28 Slotback (Winn Dri-Tac), Bettinardi Queen Bee #9 (Winn Dri-Tac), Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Palm Beach (Winn Dri-Tac), Piretti Matera Elite (Piretti Fat Grip), Piretti Cottonwood II (Piretti Fat Grip).

any word on bounce options? >

On -, @Joelsim said:

On -, @Norboo said:

No bounce options. There are three soles, but only one per loft, in other words the 46-52 have a V sole, 54-56 an S Sole and the higher ones a C sole.

On -, @Norboo said:

30th August US.

Oh well, I was so looking forward to 56* with 10* bounce.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Weezer2Weezer2 Members  171WRX Points: 59Posts: 171 Fairways

Went to local Dick’s today. They had them on display already. The looked pretty nice. Very similar to the original CBX at address. Went to purchase a 50* but they said they could not sell it to me until the 12th I think. Oh well. I’ll wait another week.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Alta CB
    Callaway X2 Hot 4 Wood 17* Aldila Tour Blue 
    TaylorMade Rescue Dual 19* Aldila NV 
    Mizuno EZ Forged 4-GW XP 95 
    Cleveland CBX 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 58*
    Odyssey #7 White Ice - 34 inches
    Srixon Q Star Tour
  • pakpak Members  194WRX Points: 111Posts: 194 Fairways

On -, @JohnKHawk said:

Would love to see comparison picks between the CBX1 & CBX2. I liked the idea behind these wedges but when I saw the original CBX in person I thought they were just too big at address to suit my eye. I wonder if the CBX2 are any smaller.

I currently have the original CBX in 56. I’m thinking of adding a 50 or 52. Has anyone compared the original and the 2? Thoughts?

Posted:
  • jcorna01jcorna01 Members  681WRX Points: 102Posts: 681 Golden Tee

Tried the 58 today and hit a bunch of high 25-30 pitches on a pretty wet fairway lie. No problem opening it up a bit and getting airborn.

Posted:
  • sneaky_petesneaky_pete insufficiently adult Members  247WRX Points: 38Handicap: 4Posts: 247 Fairways

will look at the CBX 2 early next year. still gaming the originals in 46, 52 and 58 degrees - best thing I ever did for my game was buying these wedges. forgiveness and consistency!!

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Ping Tour 65 Stiff
    Fairway: Cobra King F9, 3-4, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7, Stiff Flex
    Driving Iron: Mizuno Fli-Hi II 18* Driving Iron Mizuno Exsar Shaft Stiff Flex
    Irons: Maltby DBM Forged Irons 3 - 9 True Temper Dynalite Gold XP S300 Shafts
    Wedges: Cleveland CBX 46*, 52* & 58* Wedges True Temper Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
    Putter: Cleveland TFI 2135 RHO fitted with Iomic Midsize Grip (Blue)
    Grips: Lamkin UTX Midsize (Black)
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star Yellow
    GPS: Sonocaddie V300
    Range Finder: Leupold GX-3i2
    Cart: Clicgear 3.0
  • rufus manglerrufus mangler Members  1748WRX Points: 179Posts: 1,748 Platinum Tees

On -, @Big Ben said:

I’m suprised everyone immediately assumes the target market is simply high caps. One size does not fit all. I mean, who doesn’t want to hit the ball closer to the hole on shots that statistcially should help you score. It’s rained in the Midwest for basically two seasons now and sole width and bounce is definitely our friend. My ego starts and stops with the numbers on the scorecard.

Well said Ben.
    Higher bounce, wide V shaped sole, some beef on the top, looks like a "gettin up and down" machine. I like.

Posted:

Taylormade 2016 M2 9.5 / 2017 M1 17. / Taylormade FCT 21, 23.5 / Srixon 745 5-PW / Vokey SM6 52f, 56f, 60m / SC PP DelMar 3.5 or Cleveland HB 11.

Advertisement
  • jcorna01jcorna01 Members  681WRX Points: 102Posts: 681 Golden Tee

On -, @Big Ben said:

I’m suprised everyone immediately assumes the target market is simply high caps. One size does not fit all. I mean, who doesn’t want to hit the ball closer to the hole on shots that statistcially should help you score. It’s rained in the Midwest for basically two seasons now and sole width and bounce is definitely our friend. My ego starts and stops with the numbers on the scorecard.

It's true. I started keeping my strokes gained stats this year as I fluctuated between a 6 and 8 handicap. I am losing 6 strokes to a scratch golfer, and 1.5 strokes (25%) of that are shots between 20-60 yards. It's not because my touch sucks (although it's not great), it's because I routinely fat or thin these. I ordered an original CBX 54* last week because I like the V sole in my Srixon irons I bought earlier this year and am really interested to see how the CBX can help.

Posted:
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers  1132WRX Points: 396Handicap: +2.8Posts: 1,132 Platinum Tees

On -, @rufus mangler said:

On -, @Big Ben said:

Well said Ben.
    Higher bounce, wide V shaped sole, some beef on the top, looks like a "gettin up and down" machine. I like.

Agreed. These types of wedges or irons could help a lot more people if they gave them a try. However, golf is full of a lot of myth, stigma, and ego.

I've hit these and thought they felt excellent and were every bit as versatile and easy to play as other wedges. Wider soles are friendly but the bounce remains mid/low and playable. Distance consistency was impressive compared to conventional wedges too. I'm probably going to pick up a 50/55/60 set and give them a go.

As a side note, Cleveland really needs to get back into selling irons. If they built an entire iron set based off of the design/engineering of these wedges, I think they'd have a really winner that could compete with the latest offerings in the GI/SGI category.

Posted:
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • Weezer2Weezer2 Members  171WRX Points: 59Posts: 171 Fairways

CBX are beauties. They have made my chipping duffs go away. Agree if you put the technology of the CBX in an iron set they will be awesome GI irons.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 9* Alta CB
    Callaway X2 Hot 4 Wood 17* Aldila Tour Blue 
    TaylorMade Rescue Dual 19* Aldila NV 
    Mizuno EZ Forged 4-GW XP 95 
    Cleveland CBX 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 58*
    Odyssey #7 White Ice - 34 inches
    Srixon Q Star Tour

Advertisement
  • hwturner17hwturner17 Members  465WRX Points: 174Posts: 465 Greens

On -, @Weezer2 said:

CBX are beauties. They have made my chipping duffs go away. Agree if you put the technology of the CBX in an iron set they will be awesome GI irons.

Ping i210's my dude! I actually tried the CBX because I felt like it matched the i210's

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.