Golf Glove

jdvela55jdvela55 Sin City, NVMembers Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never worn gloves while playing or practicing until this weekend. I used a brand new Callaway and my Golf Pride MCC grips shredded it with in a few holes (I should've take pics). Is there any type of glove out there that will hold up? Thanks

FORMERLY KNOWN AS AZTEC575

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
Callaway Xhot 3 deep Oban Revenge
Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
Callaway Apex 5 - PW w/ KBS V Steel
Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
Callaway MD 2 50*, 54*, and 58* wedges

Comments

• Mr. GrumpyMr. Grumpy The Quintana Changeup, sit em dwn Members Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have tried them all,, well, many of them and my favorite on all accounts is the FJ StaSof.
    All others wore through on the right side of my palm. Some split at the finger or in other areas,, or stretched out to fit much looser than expected.

• BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭

Are your grips full of dirt or sand?

Maybe you're gripping the club too much on the palm and not enough with the fingers?

I use MMCs with the cheapest Wilson Staff gloves ever and I've got at least 15 rounds in on the current glove with no wear marks.

• jdvela55jdvela55 Sin City, NVMembers Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grips are clean. Like I said I never use gloves. I do also use a strong grip so maybe that's it.

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WAMembers Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Srixon cabretta leather for me. A touch on the thicker side. But hold up very well.

Titleist 910d2 9.5
    Titleist 917f2 15
    Titleist 816h2 19
    Adam's pro mini 23
    Bridgestone J36 pc 5-pw
    Cleveland Rtx3 50,54,58
    Bridgestone Td-01 
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • MacklessdaddyMacklessdaddy Members Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like Apple says you’re gripping it wrong

Ping G 10.5 Kuro Kage
    Ping G 3W
    Ping G 4 Hybrid Tour 90
    Ping G410 PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland CBX 54 58
    Odyssey White Ice DART
  • Oz MaxOz Max Members Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Strong grip relates to the position of the hands, not how hard you hold the grip

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds unusual that you would have shredded it within one round.

I have used cord grip for the last 20 years and always year a golf glove and it is usually after about 5-6 rounds before I start to see any issues (beyond so discolouration on the palm side) and well into the double figures before I start to see any holes appearing.

If the damage is as bad as you say it though, I wonder if there is any sense in you using a glove as it sounds like you have done OK without them in the past. The other option might be to look at an all weather or rain glove. They are synthetic material and should in theory be longer lasting.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • th6252th6252 Members Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jdvela55 said:
    I have never worn gloves while playing or practicing until this weekend. I used a brand new Callaway and my Golf Pride MCC grips shredded it with in a few holes (I should've take pics). Is there any type of glove out there that will hold up? Thanks

if you've never worn a glove before, why the change? if i could play without a glove and and not feel like i have to put a stranglehold on the grip to hold on, i'd go gloveless without hesitation.

@th6252 said:

@jdvela55 said:

if you've never worn a glove before, why the change? if i could play without a glove and and not feel like i have to put a stranglehold on the grip to hold on, i'd go gloveless without hesitation.

It's been pretty humid out here in Vegas last couple of rounds and my hands are sweating more.

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
  • ME27ME27 Members Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

buy the kirkland gloves from costco. you get a three pack for $15 and they are cabretta leather gloves and have been pretty durable for me. Even if you have to change them out every so often they are five bucks a glove for a nice cabretta glove. cant beat the value.

Driver - Titleist TS3 8.5* - Diamana W Series 
    3 wood - Titleist TS3 15* - Diamana W Series 
    Hybrid - Srizon Z H85 - Hzrdous Black
    Irons - Srixon Z585 4-A - KBS Tour C Taper Lite X
    Wedges - Cleveland RTX4 Black 54* / Taylormade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Black Mist
    Ball - Titleist Pro V1

@ME27 said:
    buy the kirkland gloves from costco. you get a three pack for $15 and they are cabretta leather gloves and have been pretty durable for me. Even if you have to change them out every so often they are five bucks a glove for a nice cabretta glove. cant beat the value.

Good call! I didnt even think of that.

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
  • ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 30, 2019 4:23pm #13

The Nike Durafeel gloves are my favorite because they feel good and lasts. I finally just put a hole through one I've been using for almost a year. You can find them online for as low as $8 each. I bought mine off eBay for $50 for 6 of them. That was a couple of years ago and I still have 3 brand new ones.

The one brand to stay away from is Zero Friction gloves. I tired it on at the shop and it felt great, so I picked one up. Didn't last me 9 holes before the seam ripped. I took it back to the shop and they let me exchange it. Took the new one out and by the end of the round, there was a hole starting to form on my thumb.

Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood 18
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1
  • chinaskichinaski Dios mio, man. Members Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭

You are letting the grip creep into your palm, not your fingers. I use corded grips and had a fresh glove blow out on me for the same reason. It's a good reminder to check your fundamentals frequently.

Ping Hoofer:

M2 9.5˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 
    Rogue 15˚ Even Flow Blue 75
    Rogue 18˚ Even Flow Blue 75/X2Hot 3H - Tour Blue 85/Z U45 20˚ 
    Z U45 23˚ Nippon NS Pro 1150/Z745 4i/X2Hot 4H - Tour Blue 85
    Z745 5-PW DG S300
    Z765 51/MD4 56S/60C

2014 Newport Select/Ping Tyne 4

Z-Star XV
  • Jakob 91Jakob 91 Members Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited Jul 30, 2019 8:41pm #15

Had the same exact issue when I started playing, gloves had a hole at the palm after 2-3 rounds. A very reliable indicator of holding the club too strongly (gripping too hard) and too much in the palm. Worked on it and can release the club much better now. Gloves live longer, too. 15-20 rounds until they get too loose and worn, but no holes usually.
    Can also recommend the Srixon Cabretta (very soft and fit great) and Mizuno Elite (leather on the inside, synthetic top side, makes them very durable). Latest discovery: Titleist Perma-Soft. Are a little longer at the wrist so I can wear a smaller size (I like a tight fit).

WITB 2019
    Woods
    Mizuno JPX 900 driver (8.5°)
    Mizuno JPX 900 3-wood (14°)
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 2i (17°)
    Nike Vapor Fly 3 Hybrid (20°)
    Irons
    Mizuno MP-15 (4-5)
    Mizuno MP-33 (6-PW)
    Mizuno S5 Wedges (56°/60°)
    Mizuno T-105 putter
    Ball
    Bridgestone B330 RX/Snell MTB-X
    GPS/Scorekeeping
    Precision Pro NX7 Pro Slope
    The Grint/18 Birdies

Thanks for all the advice! Im sure once it isnt so hot I wont wear gloves. Besides the wife kinda likes my man hands! lol

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
  • efdufferefduffer Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

I use antiperspirant on my hands if I know I'm going to be sweating a lot out there. Spray, stick, either way just rub it in about 15 min before you go out and it keeps a lot of wet hands/gloves problems away.

Titleist 909D Comp 9.5
    Titleist AP3
    Vokey SM5 52/56/60
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06h
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AugsterAugster Members Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Rain gloves when it’s humid or hot.

Kirkland gloves when it isn’t.

• playmuchplaymuch Members Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grip Boost golf gloves seem to last a while

• 3fiddyz3fiddyz Members Posts: 314 ✭✭✭✭

If you can still get any FootJoy Spidr2 gloves, they held up pretty well for me.

If your finding your glove is getting shredded in the palm section, am pretty sure thats a sign of not holding the club more in your fingers :)

• Brandons68Brandons68 Members Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

I just use a Titleist Players glove. I use MCC Plus 4 grips so they are fairly textured. I have been using the same glove since the beginning of June (I play a bunch) and I am just now starting to see wear out of it.

• eball33eball33 Mount VernonMembers Posts: 53 ✭✭

I normally use the titleist players glove but in the beginning of the season (April) i purchased 3 of the taylormade tour preferred gloves and Im very impressed with how they've held up. Not showing much wear at all. I also wear a XXl so i have to order my gloves online

• DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 1, 2019 9:02pm #24

@jdvela55 said:

If your glove is shredding in less than a round you should reach out to Callaway with pictures and let them know. Additionally, you may be holding the club too tightly or too close to the end of the shaft. Peep this video... Is this where / how your glove is wearing out?

Ninja Edit: I usually run through about 3-4 gloves a season, but many people get away with only one.

• TerrapinGolferTerrapinGolfer Members Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

try under armour coolswitch. I dont usually wear gloves either unless it is hot and sweaty out

@DiscoDiner said:

@jdvela55 said:

If your glove is shredding in less than a round you should reach out to Callaway with pictures and let them know. Additionally, you may be holding the club too tightly or too close to the end of the shaft. Peep this video... Is this where / how your glove is wearing out?

Ninja Edit: I usually run through about 3-4 gloves a season, but many people get away with only one.

That's pretty close to the spot.

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

@Shakester said:
    The Nike Durafeel gloves are my favorite because they feel good and lasts. I finally just put a hole through one I've been using for almost a year. You can find them online for as low as $8 each. I bought mine off eBay for $50 for 6 of them. That was a couple of years ago and I still have 3 brand new ones.

Another vote for the Durafeels. For one, they're the only ones that fit my weird hands properly but like Shakester said - super durable. I JUST replaced the one I'd been wearing for the last year-ish (5-6 rounds a month, 2 hour+ range sessions a week) and only because the seam for the thumb started to separate because I just have a dumb habit of tugging on it.

Titleist TS3 Driver 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 15°, 18°, 21°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 60°
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Titleist ProV1x

Rolling with the Kirkland glove! Hard to beat a 4 pack for $20.

TM R1 w/ Oban Devotion
    Ping G25 5w Oban Kiyoshi
    Odyssey Stroke Lab #2
  • eball33eball33 Mount VernonMembers Posts: 53 ✭✭

@jdvela55 said:
    Rolling with the Kirkland glove! Hard to beat a 4 pack for $20.

Let me know how you like them. I went to Costco to pick some up and they had about 200 pairs of size small and nothing else.

• Cottonseed.Cottonseed. Members Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 6, 2019 2:39am #30

Watch this video and do what the guy says. Your gloves will last longer and you’ll get better at golf.

• courcy75courcy75 Members Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

I would stay away from the Speith glove. Blew thru one in 4 rounds. They actually replaced it for me and the next one did the same. I found the all white Titleist/Footjoy gloves work best for me. I am also a stickler for an all white glove so I may be biased lol.

Driver: TM 17' M1 9.5 Kuro Kage S
    TM 07' Burner TP 3 wood
    TM 07’ Burner TP 5 wood
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Mizuno T7 52 Satin
    Mizuno T7 56 blue 
    Nike Engage 60 Dual Sole
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights