Visual evidence of hit impulse?

So I’ve been hard at work of my swing for much of this year. Been trying a lot of different things to get into these good cookie cutter positions in the backswing thinking if I did that the downswing and everything else would take care of itself. Well today I really focused on some short swings stopping at P3 and bam... there is is. Clear as day you can see me go from a good position to steep and over the top. For no apparent reason. I’ve read a lot about hit impulse and people like to argue that its not a real thing and there is a fault to blame. Maybe so... I just want to know how to fix whatever is going on.

> @jut111 said:

> can't comment on hit impulse, but I can tell you the way you use your wrists in transition needs to be pretty much the opposite of what your'e doing.

Yeah I can see that as well. But I can’t figure out why I go from a solid p3 to having my wrists work the opposite of just staying where they are.

> @FormerBigDaddy said:

> > @jut111 said:

> > can't comment on hit impulse, but I can tell you the way you use your wrists in transition needs to be pretty much the opposite of what your'e doing.

>

> Yeah I can see that as well. But I can’t figure out why I go from a solid p3 to having my wrists work the opposite of just staying where they are.

>

>

It looks like you are sending your arms straight back down after transition. I think this is part of it based on my own issues and instruction I've had.

I think everyone has a hit impulse..your body has to decelerate coming into impact to release the club so you can’t just accelerate all the way to the finish.

imo you don’t know how to deliver the club no matter how good your p3 is it doesn’t mean a thing unless you can shallow the club.

Buy or make a gravity fit band and work on gain width and unhinging the club behind you in transition. The gravity fit band makes this a serious game changer and very easy to feel this pattern.

> @jut111 said:

> can't comment on hit impulse, but I can tell you the way you use your wrists in transition needs to be pretty much the opposite of what your'e doing.

This.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

> @FormerBigDaddy said:

> > @jut111 said:

> > can't comment on hit impulse, but I can tell you the way you use your wrists in transition needs to be pretty much the opposite of what your'e doing.

>

> Yeah I can see that as well. But I can’t figure out why I go from a solid p3 to having my wrists work the opposite of just staying where they are.

>

>

> @FormerBigDaddy said:

> > @jut111 said:

>

>

>

You are pulling the handle straight down (which steepens the shaft and gets the wrist cupped like that). I would say that in general is pretty good visual evidence of hit impulse

> @otto6457 said:

> Stop your swing at impact and note the position of your hips. Lack of rotation through impact and early extension almost requires you to throw your right hand at the ball when your hips stall. The steepening of your downswing at transition also forces a throw away of your power and flipping through impact.

Or his lack of rotation and early extension is what LETS him throw his right hand and square the club face.... fix the club face you don’t need the compensating body moves.

> @otto6457 said:

> Stop your swing at impact and note the position of your hips. Lack of rotation through impact and early extension almost requires you to throw your right hand at the ball when your hips stall. The steepening of your downswing at transition also forces a throw away of your power and flipping through impact.

I believe the EE I suffer from is a result of pulling the handle down. I agree I don’t rotate my hips well at all. For what ever reason despite the hours of effort and video I can’t seem to start with the lower body. That being said I don’t know if I agree that the lack of rotation from the lower body is the reason why I go from a solid position to steep.

> @FormerBigDaddy said:

> > @otto6457 said:

> > Stop your swing at impact and note the position of your hips. Lack of rotation through impact and early extension almost requires you to throw your right hand at the ball when your hips stall. The steepening of your downswing at transition also forces a throw away of your power and flipping through impact.

>

> I believe the EE I suffer from is a result of pulling the handle down. I agree I don’t rotate my hips well at all. For what ever reason despite the hours of effort and video I can’t seem to start with the lower body. That being said I don’t know if I agree that the lack of rotation from the lower body is the reason why I go from a solid position to steep.

>

>

You are certainly free to disagree. But as long as your hips and shoulders remain stalled at impact you will remain steep. You do not rotate correctly through the impact area. Your hips move towards the ball prior to impact. (early extension) Your head and torso rise several inches prior to impact which further steepens your club path. Your right arm is higher than your left arm prior to impact and you throw away your angles too soon. These are not matters of opinion. They are clearly problematic and contribute to your steepness. If you only want swing advice you agree with then I will gladly bow out and you are free to ignore any future postings of mine.

• Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

> @otto6457 said:

> > @FormerBigDaddy said:

> > > @otto6457 said:

> > > Stop your swing at impact and note the position of your hips. Lack of rotation through impact and early extension almost requires you to throw your right hand at the ball when your hips stall. The steepening of your downswing at transition also forces a throw away of your power and flipping through impact.

> >

> > I believe the EE I suffer from is a result of pulling the handle down. I agree I don’t rotate my hips well at all. For what ever reason despite the hours of effort and video I can’t seem to start with the lower body. That being said I don’t know if I agree that the lack of rotation from the lower body is the reason why I go from a solid position to steep.

> >

> >

>

> You are certainly free to disagree. But as long as your hips and shoulders remain stalled at impact you will remain steep. You do not rotate correctly through the impact area. Your hips move towards the ball prior to impact. (early extension) Your head and torso rise several inches prior to impact which further steepens your club path. Your right arm is higher than your left arm prior to impact and you throw away your angles too soon. These are not matters of opinion. They are clearly problematic and contribute to your steepness. If you only want swing advice you agree with then I will gladly bow out and you are free to ignore any future postings of mine.

>

>

I agree with Otto 100%.

Your hands could probably work in more in the backswing. I am a believer in vertical hinge, but yours might be a little to demonstrative and that’s getting your wrists in a poor position.

YOU NEED MORE FLEX IN THE LEFT WRIST....at some point in the swing.

All of your poor body actions on the downswing and impact are a direct reaction to where the club is. The club head is very in front of you in the backswing and open, so your wrists need to close the club and get it behind you so your body can react.

If your body worked “correctly” with current worst movements, you’d hit it WAY worse.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

> @iteachgolf said:

> What makes you think your p3 is good? Takeaway is setting up club steepening as you near end of backswing and you simply keep it heading that direction as you start down.

>

> Backswing is the issue

Ok... could you enlighten me on what I could do different in takeaway?

> @FormerBigDaddy said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > What makes you think your p3 is good? Takeaway is setting up club steepening as you near end of backswing and you simply keep it heading that direction as you start down.

> >

> > Backswing is the issue

>

> Ok... could you enlighten me on what I could do different in takeaway?

>

>

Your hands work towards target line and you overrotate the club to get the clubhead working in. You have less depth at the top of the swing than you had at address with the COM underplane going back. It has only one direction it can go. Arms will work down and shaft will steepen, especially with how disconnected the arms get. It’s not a hit impulse, it’s because they have no choice.

Hands need to work away from the target line in backswing, not towards and then you can apply the correct forces on the club to shallow it.

> @iteachgolf said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > What makes you think your p3 is good? Takeaway is setting up club steepening as you near end of backswing and you simply keep it heading that direction as you start down.

> > >

> > > Backswing is the issue

> >

> > Ok... could you enlighten me on what I could do different in takeaway?

> >

> >

>

> Your hands work towards target line and you overrotate the club to get the clubhead working in. You have less depth at the top of the swing than you had at address with the COM underplane going back. It has only one direction it can go. Arms will work down and shaft will steepen, especially with how disconnected the arms get. It’s not a hit impulse, it’s because they have no choice.

>

> Hands need to work away from the target line in backswing, not towards and then you can apply the correct forces on the club to shallow it.

Thank you for the in depth analysis... I’m usually pretty good with golf instruction terminology but I’m having a hard time digesting a lot of what you said.... I want to understand!

> @FormerBigDaddy said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @FormerBigDaddy said:

> > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > What makes you think your p3 is good? Takeaway is setting up club steepening as you near end of backswing and you simply keep it heading that direction as you start down.

> > > >

> > > > Backswing is the issue

> > >

> > > Ok... could you enlighten me on what I could do different in takeaway?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Your hands work towards target line and you overrotate the club to get the clubhead working in. You have less depth at the top of the swing than you had at address with the COM underplane going back. It has only one direction it can go. Arms will work down and shaft will steepen, especially with how disconnected the arms get. It’s not a hit impulse, it’s because they have no choice.

> >

> > Hands need to work away from the target line in backswing, not towards and then you can apply the correct forces on the club to shallow it.

>

> Thank you for the in depth analysis... I’m usually pretty good with golf instruction terminology but I’m having a hard time digesting a lot of what you said.... I want to understand!

>

Hands need to work in more at the start of the backswing. You have no depth at the top so your arms have to come straight down, which steepens the club.

> @FormerBigDaddy said:

> > @iteachgolf said:

> > > @FormerBigDaddy said:

> > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > What makes you think your p3 is good? Takeaway is setting up club steepening as you near end of backswing and you simply keep it heading that direction as you start down.

> > > >

> > > > Backswing is the issue

> > >

> > > Ok... could you enlighten me on what I could do different in takeaway?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Your hands work towards target line and you overrotate the club to get the clubhead working in. You have less depth at the top of the swing than you had at address with the COM underplane going back. It has only one direction it can go. Arms will work down and shaft will steepen, especially with how disconnected the arms get. It’s not a hit impulse, it’s because they have no choice.

> >

> > Hands need to work away from the target line in backswing, not towards and then you can apply the correct forces on the club to shallow it.

>

> Thank you for the in depth analysis... I’m usually pretty good with golf instruction terminology but I’m having a hard time digesting a lot of what you said.... I want to understand!

>

Your hands are closer to the target line at the end of the backswing than they were at setup from a depth perspective. They nowhere to go but down and closer to you. Need hands to work in and away from target line going back so they can work out towards target line coming down

> @iteachgolf said:

> > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > @FormerBigDaddy said:

> > > > > @iteachgolf said:

> > > > > What makes you think your p3 is good? Takeaway is setting up club steepening as you near end of backswing and you simply keep it heading that direction as you start down.

> > > > >

> > > > > Backswing is the issue

> > > >

> > > > Ok... could you enlighten me on what I could do different in takeaway?

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Your hands work towards target line and you overrotate the club to get the clubhead working in. You have less depth at the top of the swing than you had at address with the COM underplane going back. It has only one direction it can go. Arms will work down and shaft will steepen, especially with how disconnected the arms get. It’s not a hit impulse, it’s because they have no choice.

> > >

> > > Hands need to work away from the target line in backswing, not towards and then you can apply the correct forces on the club to shallow it.

> >

> > Thank you for the in depth analysis... I’m usually pretty good with golf instruction terminology but I’m having a hard time digesting a lot of what you said.... I want to understand!

> >

>

> Your hands are closer to the target line at the end of the backswing than they were at setup from a depth perspective. They nowhere to go but down and closer to you. Need hands to work in and away from target line going back so they can work out towards target line coming down

I gotcha. I struggle keeping the club in a good position at p2 and p3 when I’m going for depth. I definitely hit the ball better when I have depth at the top but I just fail to understand how good players seem to be able to get the club working through the hands (from behind view), get the shaft pointing at the ball at p3, and still somehow get a ton of depth at the top. I swear I’ve tried everything and watched every video.

Your hands/arms don't work in enough on the takeaway - at shaft parallel your hands are outside your toes but should be over your foot. Your are rotating your arms to the right instead of using your pivot to have them get the club back - arms will rotate in backswing but not until after P2 - > @FormerBigDaddy said:

> Here is a swing of mine when I’m just swinging in a way that feels much more natural and free.

>

>

Same thing hands too far out. The alignment stick drill is the go to for working on getting the hands more in then up without early rotating the arms.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> Your hands could probably work in more in the backswing. I am a believer in vertical hinge, but yours might be a little to demonstrative and that’s getting your wrists in a poor position.

>

> YOU NEED MORE FLEX IN THE LEFT WRIST....at some point in the swing.

>

> All of your poor body actions on the downswing and impact are a direct reaction to where the club is. The club head is very in front of you in the backswing and open, so your wrists need to close the club and get it behind you so your body can react.

>

> If your body worked “correctly” with current worst movements, you’d hit it WAY worse.

>

>

>

>

Thanks... I tend to take things to extremes and watched a ton of your videos. I posted a more natural feeling swing of mine above