2nd sport for junior

frgolffrgolf Validating - Unconfirmed, Members Posts: 3

hi,
my soon is 13, he is hcp 4.
he is the shorter player in his age with the driver.... close to 210 yard.
do you think that practice an other sport could help him to improve in speed.
if yes, which one ?

thank

sorry for my english, i m french ...nobody is perfect :smiley:

Comments

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,077 ClubWRX

I can't see another sport helping him gain the distance he needs. Is your son small for his age?

• j.b.newtonj.b.newton Members Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's 13 - he should be playing A LOT of other sports.

• SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro Members Posts: 729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 30, 2019 7:28pm #4

Football (soccer), basketball, hockey and/or baseball come to mind. There are gym programs and things like over speed (super speed) training that could also help. The US Ski Team discusses different developmental phases depending on the "age" of the athlete with different windows where speed, strength, etc. should be focused on. Makes a difference if your son is pre or post puberty as not all 13 year olds are at the same stage physically. Not sure if there is any similar documentation for golf.

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@frgolf said:
    hi,
    my soon is 13, he is hcp 4.
    he is the shorter player in his age with the driver.... close to 210 yard.
    do you think that practice an other sport could help him to improve in speed.
    if yes, which one ?

thank

sorry for my english, i m french ...nobody is perfect :smiley:

Baseball, tennis, ski, or basketball come to mind. Has your junior been active in multiple sports? Otherwise, you could also look at getting a trainer and golf specific speed training tools as mentioned above.

-- Forum bugs provide interesting information --

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@SkiSchoolPro said:
    Football (soccer), basketball, hockey and/or baseball come to mind. There are gym programs and things like over speed (super speed) training that could also help. The US Ski Team discusses different developmental phases depending on the "age" of the athlete with different windows where speed, strength, etc. should be focused on. Makes a difference if your son is pre or post puberty as not all 13 year olds are at the same stage physically. Not sure if there is any similar documentation for golf.

The Canadian hockey association has almost the exact same long term development program.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

My middle son is 16 and a late boomer. My oldest is 19 and still growing. He played everything under the sun until he found golf around 13 or 14. Freshman year he had to hit 3 wood into par 4s. Those same holes now 2 years later he's hitting a 54 degree wedge. He grew 4 inches within the last year. If your son hasn't hit that growth spur just wait.
    You will have to move him back 2 sets of tees to have a chance in beating him.

Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • frgolffrgolf Validating - Unconfirmed, Members Posts: 3

you right, it's true that he doesn't reach the puberty but i saw plenty of players with the same height more longger.
    so i don't known if it s a problem of height, weight or technique ?

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,077 ClubWRX

@frgolf said:
    you right, it's true that he doesn't reach the puberty but i saw plenty of players with the same height more longger.

It could be a combination of all 3. Around my parts, the better 13 yr olds are hitting driver 250+

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭

@frgolf said:

So if you see other juniors of the same height & weight (and assigning those to somewhat equivalent strength) hitting it longer, that only leaves technique. You could also throw in equipment as another variable. If you are truly concerned, I would suggest finding some lessons from a local pro and get an evaluation from them.

-- Forum bugs provide interesting information --

• tocinotocino Members Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 31, 2019 7:16pm #11

basketball and track. Anything to raise the level of fitness.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@frgolf said:

Could be strength.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file