Taylormade Project a

NJgolfer11NJgolfer11 Members Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

I have played a round or 2 with this ball before and stumbled upon another recently.

Overall, as far as feel, it felt as good as any ball I have played, especially off the putter. Shot 75 on a par 71, 132 slope yesterday. I'm a 6.1 index.

I am going to test it more, especially since a dozen is $10 cheaper than the TP5/TP5X.

One thing I am keeping an eye out is distance. I am wondering if the ball does not carry as well as other premium golf balls and struggles in the wind.

If you play or have played this ball, can you please provide me feedback and your experiences with it?

Thank you!

Comments

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It launched high for me and stopped in the wind. I liked it, but 'cheaper than tp5, etc' is subjective because I wait for 20% off deals and/or open-box golf ball deals and I regularly get tp5/x and bridgestone tour balls for $27 a box

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's a great golf ball for the mass. However, the higher ball speed might cause it to lose a little distance, especially with driver. If you won;t mind losing a few yards off the diver, it is a very good all around golf ball.
    I grew up with the first generation of the two piece "rock" so I prefer a firmer feel, thus the tp5X is my preference over the Project a. Project a is a better golf ball in the colder temperature since it's a lowe compression golf ball then the tp5X.

• propmanpropman Members Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Dicks has a flash sale on the tp5 for $29.xx

15 hcp
  • Brandons68Brandons68 Members Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

I recently started working at a golf shop and we are about to flash sale the Project A at our annual tent sale. I have played with it as well. Urethane covered golf ball at half the price of a normal tour ball. Cant really beat it for the price.

• Hammer22Hammer22 Members Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 31, 2019 6:05pm #6

Many threads on this ball -----> https://lmgtfy.com/?q=taylormade+project+a+golfwrx

It's a sleeper. Long, feels great, and stops on a dime. Plenty of deals out there as well. Unloaded all my Nike RZN TP's since I got hooked on the (a) and haven't regretted it a bit.

nflam-button.png
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 31, 2019 10:20pm #7

I used to game the older version with the seam. I hit massive drives with that older ball. In a short stretch I hit a few on the fairway out in the 320s. Not normal for me. Around the greens it, and the newer version, are great. I think the Q Star Tour is comparable as I've played it along with this newer Project a. I do not have the newer Project a as long off the tee for me...higher, though.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star

Knee Deep Breaking Bud IPA

• heatedwireheatedwire Members Posts: 73 ✭✭

Highly underrated ball, along with the z-star. Used to play it, but here is Aus I can get better deals on the Srixon. Can't believe people pay for anything else.

• MitchellGolfingMitchellGolfing Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love the project a. They feel great and spin great. I’m a used ball guy, and they can be found for pennies secondhand.

Callaway Xr 9* set to 11*, Project X 6.0
    Adams Tightlies 16*,Stock stiff
    Wilson Reflex 4-G Uniflex stock steel
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 54/58* Wedge flex
    Ping Anser 33” Superstroke 3.0

@MitchellGolfing said:
    I love the project a. They feel great and spin great. I’m a used ball guy, and they can be found for pennies secondhand.

Curious, where do you purchase the secondhand project a?

15 hcp
  • monks66monks66 Members Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭

i am sure its a good ball, but i just hear its a spinny ball off tee

edited Aug 4, 2019 11:15am #12

@propman said:

@MitchellGolfing said:

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=used+golf+balls

@monks66 said:
    i am sure its a good ball, but i just hear its a spinny ball off tee

Not really. With my ST190 driver, carry was 289 on this one as an example, which has been typical with it:

Post edited by Hammer22 on
    nflam-button.png
  • MitchellGolfingMitchellGolfing Members Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@propman said:

@MitchellGolfing said:

Pretty much any used golf ball website really.

Callaway Xr 9* set to 11*, Project X 6.0
    Adams Tightlies 16*,Stock stiff
    Wilson Reflex 4-G Uniflex stock steel
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 54/58* Wedge flex
    Ping Anser 33” Superstroke 3.0

I thought you may have a preferred seller.

15 hcp
  • DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

So from what I’m reading here I need to go buy some new golf balls... lol. Honestly though I found one in a scramble and played it for the rest of the tournament and liked it. I’ve been meaning to pick up some more and give them a shot.

Currently use the 2019 v1 and v1x depending on how I’m playing that day.

• JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

IMO the project A is every bit as good as the TP5. the tp5x is definitely different with higher launch and lower spin.... but project a vs tp5 I feel they're identical, even for higher swing speeds. I'm 110 - 112 with the driver and saw no loss in distance at all. great spin with irons and wedges

Hogan GS53 10.5* UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal 6f5
    TM M6 3w UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal 7f5
    TM M6 5w GD AD IZ 7tx
    New Level 4995 Utility 18* LA Golf Altus Black Tie 105x
    Sub 70 CB 4i - 6i PX 6.5
    Sub 70 MB 7i - Pw PX 6.5
    Cleveland RTX4 raw 52*, 58* PX black 7.0
    Swag Suave One Raw Proto...... Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab

• NJgolfer11NJgolfer11 Members Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

It is a good ball. I played a round recently with the Project a and TP5. Feel is pretty identical. They both perform very well, but I feel the Project a launched a little higher than the TP5.

I’ve posted this more than once when these same threads come up about the ball - worth watching.

nflam-button.png
  • dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hammer22 said:
    I’ve posted this more than once when these same threads come up about the ball - worth watching.

That's first generation I believe.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

TS2
    716 MB 5-PW
    MG 52 SB-09 | 56 LB-09 | 60 LB-09
    Select Newport 2
    ProV1x

@dciccoritti said:

That's first generation I believe.

Actually second. The third is even better and the video does a good job of hitting the highlights of the ball in any case.

nflam-button.png
  • JoeFrigoJoeFrigo Members Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Very good ball and fits wide variety of golfers... Im about 110avg with the driver and found this ball to perform just as good as the TP5 and TP5x. IMO this is extremely similar to the TP5 with more spin on wedges. TP5x does spin less and has a higher flight.

Hogan GS53 10.5* UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal 6f5
    TM M6 3w UST Mamiya Lin-Q gunmetal 7f5
    TM M6 5w GD AD IZ 7tx
    New Level 4995 Utility 18* LA Golf Altus Black Tie 105x
    Sub 70 CB 4i - 6i PX 6.5
    Sub 70 MB 7i - Pw PX 6.5
    Cleveland RTX4 raw 52*, 58* PX black 7.0
    Swag Suave One Raw Proto...... Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@NJgolfer11 said:
    I have played a round or 2 with this ball before and stumbled upon another recently.

Overall, as far as feel, it felt as good as any ball I have played, especially off the putter. Shot 75 on a par 71, 132 slope yesterday. I'm a 6.1 index.

I am going to test it more, especially since a dozen is $10 cheaper than the TP5/TP5X.

One thing I am keeping an eye out is distance. I am wondering if the ball does not carry as well as other premium golf balls and struggles in the wind.

If you play or have played this ball, can you please provide me feedback and your experiences with it?

Thank you!

Played it most of last year. Really good ball but IMO not for high speed guys. Lost a bit of distance... thing spins like an absolute top for me and with it being a little softer, compressed a bit too much perhaps.

I pretty much just stick to the firmer balls like TP5X, ProV1X.

WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero | HZRDUS Smoke 60X
    LTD | Aldila Tour Blue 75X (2016 M1 Tour Issue | Diamana B 70X incoming)
    GAPR Lo | Recoil Proto 110F5 (818H2 Aldila Tour Blue 85X back up)
    P790 4i | Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW | Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS | AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS | AMT Wedge
    Hi-Toe 58 | Modus 125 Wedge ( Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS for spring & fall)
    Ardmore 2 or Bettinardi MC 360 Tour
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• txgolfer45txgolfer45 Members Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

Locally, the Project (a) is only $10 a dozen less than the TP5. So, not a significant savings.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft
    Fairway woods: Taylormade RBZ 3HL, Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood
    Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i
    Irons: Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 6-AW, DG XP R shaft
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 56 and 60 degree
    Putter: Vons SS398

@txgolfer45 said:
    Locally, the Project (a) is only $10 a dozen less than the TP5. So, not a significant savings.

Buy four dozen, send in the codes under the lids and TM will send you another dozen free. Even at the retail price, that comes out to about $140 for five dozen of them compared to $225 for the same quantity of TP5’s. I’d call that a significant savings.

nflam-button.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file