Kiawah Question

tacrispy

Fellow golfers,

Tossing around ideas for a mid-October golf trip with the wives ad giving Kiawah a look. My question is about the Ocean Course. I know it is difficult but i see really extreme views on the course itself from magical and bucket list to way overrated and overpriced. Just curious to hear the opinion of the WRX'ers.

Also, looking at Hilton head. We have been there before and really enjoyed Harbor Town but have not had opportunity to play Atlantic Dunes or Herron Point so definitely not opposed to going back there.

Pinehurst was/is amazing but seems like the non-golfing wives would get bored there pretty quick

Thanks

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you play the Ocean Course from appropriate tees AND if the wind isn't blowing 20mph-plus then it's a tough but quite playable course for even a high-teens handicapper like myself. The greens can be fairly tricky for any level of golfer and there are a couple holes (like the famous 17th) which are just flat-out hard.

But on most of the holes, as you move farther back in terms of tee boxes you not only add distance but you tend to see more demanding angles with more of the hazards in play. I usually play the set of tees that's a bit over 6,000 yards (about the length I play back home) and have gotten around in pretty much equal my handicap a couple times. Also had a couple blowup rounds but I can do those anywhere.

I've played with guys who are just one set farther back at maybe 6,400-6,500 yards. Standing on those tee boxes, it looks far scarier than my home course would look from a similar set of tees. It turns out most holes have fairways that look narrower than they play but still, don't bite off more than you can chew distance wise.

Now if you show up and the breeze is 15-gusting-30 (as can happen any time of year down there) good luck to you. In that kind of wind you are just going to lose golf balls and make some big numbers unless you're extremely good at controlling your ball.

As for "non golfing wives", I can only speak for own wife. She would be bored out of mind at Pinehurst, probably OK at Hilton Head but she purely loves Kiawah. It is a lovely, laid-back, quiet place even in high summer. And in off-season it is heaven.

Ocean course is a fabulous course ... it's over priced to the same extent any other top 100 course is, but no more ... it's always in great condition ... i've played it three times, and each time i like it a little more (and i am not a pete dye fan) ... there are a few holes where you can play a bit of a ground game instead of trying to hit a perfect aerial shot onto/into the green ... just have to be honest with your tee selection and hit it well, whatever tees you choose ...

Just did a trip there, thought the Ocean course was great (though you don't see a whole lot of the ocean on the course). I usually play at about 6300-6500 yards, we played from the tees that put us somewhere around 6000-6100 and I thought the course was a proper challenge. I played all of the other resort courses at Kiawah (not the two privates) and while I thought they were all in fantastic condition, and would be good weekly courses, I did not think they were worth the money or worth traveling for.

If your travel plans are somewhat flexible, the past few years from Nov-Mar Kiawah has been doing golf & dine type package, great deal...get 2 rounds of golf or 1 round and one dinner voucher plus 1 night at Sanctuary (hotel) or a villa.

Either way, Kiawah is a great trip with wives (especially if stay at Sanctuary). Ocean course is better experienced walking and recommend drink at Ryder Cup bar afterwards.

Osprey and honestly I really liked cougar. Turtle is ok. Didn't try oak point. Osprey is my no. 2 behind OC.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

The fall package they usually have is okay. We go to Kiawah every summer and sometimes in the fall or spring. All of the courses are good, but IMO, the Ocean Course is way overpriced. I usually play one resort course and a few others in the Charleston area, which there are a lot and you can always find good deals.

We are actually down here this week and I played Stono Ferry, Turtle Point (on the island) and Crowfield. My least favorite is Cougar, my favorite is Turtle, then Osprey, then Oak. I leave out the Ocean Course because of the cost. The spa at the Sanctuary is great, my wife usually goes for a spa day during the week and she says it has earned its reputation as top notch.

I’m headed to Pinehurst at the end of the month for my first time there and hopefully the resort lives up to the hype.

It's funny how opinions can vary so widely....I. would not call Ocean course over priced, it's what you expect to pay for an elite course these days (much better value than Erin Hills).

Cougar was my second favorite course (next to ocean course) and I thought Turtle Point was the worst, it was simply an excuse to build condos around (in all fairness, it was very windy that day)

> @Kevlar10 said:

> The fall package they usually have is okay. We go to Kiawah every summer and sometimes in the fall or spring. All of the courses are good, but IMO, the Ocean Course is way overpriced. I usually play one resort course and a few others in the Charleston area, which there are a lot and you can always find good deals.

> We are actually down here this week and I played Stono Ferry, Turtle Point (on the island) and Crowfield. My least favorite is Cougar, my favorite is Turtle, then Osprey, then Oak. I leave out the Ocean Course because of the cost. The spa at the Sanctuary is great, my wife usually goes for a spa day during the week and she says it has earned its reputation as top notch.

> I’m headed to Pinehurst at the end of the month for my first time there and hopefully the resort lives up to the hype.

> @tacrispy said:

> Thank you for replies. What two other courses on the island would you suggest to play with the ocean course?

>

> If we go I’m guessing we will stay in a villa and probably try to do a day and night in Charleston

Do you belong to a private club? If so you could try and get on River or Cassique. If not I would go with Cougar and Osprey.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I go to Kiawah every winter. I absolutely love the Ocean Course. The back 9 everyone raves about, rightfully so, but I think the front 9 in the marsh/open land is beautiful and a great layout. It isn't overpriced when you consider other courses for close to the same price or more. The price point is right where it belongs with its competitors. I've somehow only had great weather every time I have gone there, so the course hasn't played very tough. Enjoy a drink at the Ryder Cup bar after your round, one of the best sunsets in golf.

I also take part in the winter deal, I believe it starts after the 2nd weekend of November each year. Best deal in golf.

Thank you for replies. What two other courses on the island would you suggest to play with the ocean course?

If we go I’m guessing we will stay in a villa and probably try to do a day and night in Charleston > @krtgolfing said:

> > @tacrispy said:

> > Thank you for replies. What two other courses on the island would you suggest to play with the ocean course?

> >

> > If we go I’m guessing we will stay in a villa and probably try to do a day and night in Charleston

> Do you belong to a private club? If so you could try and get on River or Cassique. If not I would go with Cougar and Osprey.

>

Semi private club. I am not above calling and trying though haha!

> @tacrispy said:

> What is the course conditions like in middle of October? will we be missing maintenance season?

Courses should be in pristine shape that time of year.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

> @tacrispy said:

> What is the course conditions like in middle of October? will we be missing maintenance season?

The courses are going through their second punch now so by october they are typically in the best shape of the year closely followed by Early May. You won't be dissapointed.

Forever Changing at this point.......

> @tacrispy said:

> Thank you for replies. What two other courses on the island would you suggest to play with the ocean course?

>

> If we go I’m guessing we will stay in a villa and probably try to do a day and night in Charleston

No way I'd waste a day on Kiawah (and something like $200+) on a generic resort course when I could play another round on the Ocean Course.

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @tacrispy said:

> > Thank you for replies. What two other courses on the island would you suggest to play with the ocean course?

> >

> > If we go I’m guessing we will stay in a villa and probably try to do a day and night in Charleston

>

> No way I'd waste a day on Kiawah (and something like $200+) on a generic resort course when I could play another round on the Ocean Course.

good take. I will have to check and see how that changes the price! Know anyway to get on Country Club of Charleston?

> @tacrispy said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @tacrispy said:

> > > Thank you for replies. What two other courses on the island would you suggest to play with the ocean course?

> > >

> > > If we go I’m guessing we will stay in a villa and probably try to do a day and night in Charleston

> >

> > No way I'd waste a day on Kiawah (and something like $200+) on a generic resort course when I could play another round on the Ocean Course.

>

> good take. I will have to check and see how that changes the price! Know anyway to get on Country Club of Charleston?

I wish!

One dude's opinion: Cassique is a really fun course. River is brutally difficult when it is wet (which is fairly often). Both are much better than the public courses, so it is worth a try to get on. CC of Charleston has some really interesting, unique holes, and unfortunately several that look like airport runways--without any interesting features. The Sanctuary is an awesome hotel and spa. We will probably do their fall special again this year (assuming they run one).

> @tacrispy said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @tacrispy said:

> > > Thank you for replies. What two other courses on the island would you suggest to play with the ocean course?

> > >

> > > If we go I’m guessing we will stay in a villa and probably try to do a day and night in Charleston

> >

> > No way I'd waste a day on Kiawah (and something like $200+) on a generic resort course when I could play another round on the Ocean Course.

>

> good take. I will have to check and see how that changes the price! Know anyway to get on Country Club of Charleston?

just to be clear, the winter package is $400 for one night/2 rounds at your choice of the 4 or 5 courses at the Kiawah resort ... both rounds can be at the ocean course ... there is no additional charge for playing the ocean course twice ...

> @DLiver said:

> One dude's opinion: Cassique is a really fun course. River is brutally difficult when it is wet (which is fairly often). Both are much better than the public courses, so it is worth a try to get on. CC of Charleston has some really interesting, unique holes, and unfortunately several that look like airport runways--without any interesting features. The Sanctuary is an awesome hotel and spa. We will probably do their fall special again this year (assuming they run one).

I've played all 3, they are in no way better than The Ocean course. Unless you meant the other public courses then sorry for the misunderstanding.

> @DLiver said:

> One dude's opinion: Cassique is a really fun course. River is brutally difficult when it is wet (which is fairly often). Both are much better than the public courses, so it is worth a try to get on. CC of Charleston has some really interesting, unique holes, and unfortunately several that look like airport runways--without any interesting features. The Sanctuary is an awesome hotel and spa. We will probably do their fall special again this year (assuming they run one).

Any idea how to get on Cassique? We're going to Kiawah in Sept.

> @mci711 said:

> > @DLiver said:

> > One dude's opinion: Cassique is a really fun course. River is brutally difficult when it is wet (which is fairly often). Both are much better than the public courses, so it is worth a try to get on. CC of Charleston has some really interesting, unique holes, and unfortunately several that look like airport runways--without any interesting features. The Sanctuary is an awesome hotel and spa. We will probably do their fall special again this year (assuming they run one).

>

> I've played all 3, they are in no way better than The Ocean course. Unless you meant the other public courses then sorry for the misunderstanding.

My bad--I wasn't thinking the OC was public but you are right it is. I meant the other public courses. Thanks for catching that and clarifying.

> @Ripper212 said:

> > @DLiver said:

> > One dude's opinion: Cassique is a really fun course. River is brutally difficult when it is wet (which is fairly often). Both are much better than the public courses, so it is worth a try to get on. CC of Charleston has some really interesting, unique holes, and unfortunately several that look like airport runways--without any interesting features. The Sanctuary is an awesome hotel and spa. We will probably do their fall special again this year (assuming they run one).

>

> Any idea how to get on Cassique? We're going to Kiawah in Sept.

I played with a guy who knew a guy. It is always worth a call--especially if you belong to a club and have a Pro who can call on our behalf.

You can get your pro to call cassique. It's like $395 for unaccompanied guest. Plus a caddy $100, plus if you're any less than a 4 you have to pay for a pro to play with you. Another $150 I think. So like $700 with tip. If you're a cheap ass... :D

Jokes aside, I pretty much heard they really try to limit that play (totally understandable).

I hear it's nice though - I declined. Just played OC again. Not the fall deal though...late spring (prior to school ending). Island wasnt crowded, and weather was money ?.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

Thanks for the info. Probably not worth the effort since it's the same cost as the OC where we're staying anyway. Currently we're booked at OC, Cougar, and Osprey. No way my wife would agree to play OC twice as we're already spending a lot of $$$- nearly $2000 for 3 rounds of golf for 2. Life was a lot easier when we only played tennis!