18majors18majors  1510Members Posts: 1,510
Joined:  edited Jul 31, 2019 8:47pm in LPGA/Ladies golf talk #1

It's that time of the year again.

Stage I will be played August 22-25 at:
Mission Hills Country Club, Rancho Mirage, CA
Shadow Ridge Country Club, Palm Desert, CA

Stage II will be played Oct 14-17 at:
Plantation Golf and Country Club, Venice, FL

Q-Series week one will be played October 23-26 at Pinehurst No. 6, Pinehurst, NC
Week two will be played October 30-November 2 at Pinehurst No. 9, Pinehurst, NC

Entry deadline for Stage I is August 12; there're 208 entries as of today, July 31:
https://qs.lpga.com/reports/?tourn=QSC1&report=https://qs.lpga.com/tic/tmentry.cgi?tourn=QSC1~season=2019~alphaorder~

Stage I entry deadline is August 12. Players ranked inside Rolex 400 such as Yuka Yasuda (No. 231), Yuka Saso (No. 247), Yealimi Noh (No. 292) and Albane Valenzuela (No. 376): are exempted from Stage I.
Notable amateurs who've registered for Stage I include Dylan Kim of University of Arkansas, Jennifer Chang of University of Southern California and Bianca Pagdanganon of University of Arizona.

Posted:

Comments

• North TexasNorth Texas  4487Members Posts: 4,487

Two girls from the club I play at are entered in first stage. One of them is currently playing on the WAPT that is in it's first year of operation and the other is playing in the upcoming Women's US Amateur and then will be turning pro. Saw numerous girls entered in the first stage that are currently playing the WAPT.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 18majors18majors  1510Members Posts: 1,510

@North Texas said:
    Two girls from the club I play at are entered in first stage. One of them is currently playing on the WAPT that is in it's first year of operation and the other is playing in the upcoming Women's US Amateur and then will be turning pro. Saw numerous girls entered in the first stage that are currently playing the WAPT.

Unfortunately the only options for professional players who don't have LPGA or Symetra Tour status are the Cactus Tour and WAPT.
    Those tours are raw but it's better than nothing. Yealimi Noh built a lot of confidence by winning once at the Cactus Tour and once at WAPT.

Posted:
  • agolf1agolf1  1796Members Posts: 1,796

If you finish below 100 (or 125) on the Money List, when do you sign up or start playing?

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)

@agolf1 said:
    If you finish below 100 (or 125) on the Money List, when do you sign up or start playing?

Players who're eligible for Q-Series:
    2019 LPGA Tour Members ranked #101-150, including those tied for 150th place on the LPGA Official Money
    List at the conclusion of the 2019 Volunteers of America Classic.

Players who'll need to qualify through Stage II:
    LPGA Tour Members ranked outside of the Top 150 and ties on the 2019 LPGA Official Money List at the
    conclusion of the 2019 Volunteers of America Classic.

Posted:

Stage I entries have increased to 210 as of today, August 1,
    Haley Moore of University of Arizona has registered.

Posted:

Stage I entry is up to 220 as of today, August 2.

Posted:

Advertisement

Stage I entry is up to 249 as of today, August 5.
    Sierra Brooks has registered.

Posted:
  • Argonne69Argonne69  22873Members Posts: 22,873

Any idea if Hye Jin Choi has expressed interest in Q-Series?

Posted:

@Argonne69 said:

This year is problematic because Lucky 6 played too many weeks away from home last year.
    KLPGA tightened the knot and allows members to play only two off shore events when KLPGA is in session. Hye Jin has already used up either one or two of that quota.
    Q-Series will need two weeks away from home, that's a problem she'll face.

Posted:

@18majors said:

@Argonne69 said:

This year is problematic because Lucky 6 played too many weeks away from home last year.
    KLPGA tightened the knot and allows members to play only two off shore events when KLPGA is in session. Hye Jin has already used up either one or two of that quota.

What do you mean by "in session"? If the KLPGA has an off week, like they did this past week, does it count against the quota if the player enters a non-KLPGA event?

Posted:

@Argonne69 said:

@18majors said:

@Argonne69 said:

What do you mean by "in session"? If the KLPGA has an off week, like they did this past week, does it count against the quota if the player enters a non-KLPGA event?

No, it doesn't count against the quota if KLPGA is off.
    Hye Jin played Evian and AIG when KLPGA's was off; she's OK. She skipped USWO when there's a conflict.
    One of the Q-Series two weeks is an off week;
    it looks like Hye Jin has planned it carefully so she can enter Q-Series without compromising her KLPGA status.

Posted:

Advertisement

Stage I entry has risen up to 267 as of today, August 6,

Posted:

@North Texas said:

The girl playing the US Am from our club actually got it to 5 under yesterday with 6 holes to play and finished at -2, easily making the match play.

Posted:

Man, it is going to be hot for those girls playing out in California in a couple of weeks. If what I've been told is accurate, the girls have to bring their own water and coolers. Seems like the LPGA could find a location for the first stage where temps weren't going to be 105-110.

Posted:

@North Texas said:
    Man, it is going to be hot for those girls playing out in California in a couple of weeks. If what I've been told is accurate, the girls have to bring their own water and coolers. Seems like the LPGA could find a location for the first stage where temps weren't going to be 105-110.

But it's a dry heat, right?

Posted:

@Argonne69 said:

@North Texas said:

But it's a dry heat, right?

It may be dry, but it's real heat.
    It's OK in Las Vegas when temperatures is up to 100 or less; but heat could kill when it's 105 and higher.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • NewinupNewinup  197Members Posts: 197

Stage I entry is up to 285 as of today, August 7.

Posted:
  • preiter20preiter20  237Members Posts: 237

Entry fees....😳😳😳

How Much It Costs to Enter LPGA Q-School
    To play in the Stage I qualifying tournament costs $2,500. The entry fee for the Stage II qualifier is $4,000 for golfers exempt into Stage II, or $3,000 for those who advanced out of Stage I.
    For Q-Series the cost is zero for golfers who started at Stage I, and $1,500 for those who started at Stage II. For LPGA and Symetra Tour members exempt into the Q-Series, the entry fee is $3,000. For all others, the entry fee is $5,500.

Posted:
  • fredogolferfredogolfer  297Members Posts: 297

@preiter20 said:
    Entry fees....😳😳😳

How Much It Costs to Enter LPGA Q-School
    To play in the Stage I qualifying tournament costs $2,500. The entry fee for the Stage II qualifier is $4,000 for golfers exempt into Stage II, or $3,000 for those who advanced out of Stage I.
    For Q-Series the cost is zero for golfers who started at Stage I, and $1,500 for those who started at Stage II. For LPGA and Symetra Tour members exempt into the Q-Series, the entry fee is $3,000. For all others, the entry fee is $5,500.

Many players have no business even attempting to be in Stage I. Someone has mentioned the LPGA probably makes a profit on Stage I.

Posted:
  • mallratmallrat  3071Members Posts: 3,071

It amazes me that some of these ladies can’t cash a check on the WAPT or Cactus Tour but think they are going to play on the LPGA. I saw a few of them ask for help with their entry fees via go fund me or whatever and got the money in a couple hours. I don’t get people helping them and I would never but whatever works.

Posted:

Advertisement

Stage I entry is up to 297, as of today, August 8.

Posted:
  • Enduro59Enduro59  155Members Posts: 155

@mallrat said:
    It amazes me that some of these ladies can’t cash a check on the WAPT or Cactus Tour but think they are going to play on the LPGA. I saw a few of them ask for help with their entry fees via go fund me or whatever and got the money in a couple hours. I don’t get people helping them and I would never but whatever works.

So 297 entries as of August 8. What would be the amount of entries normally in a year before now. What is the all time record for entries?
    Certainly as mallrat stated a huge percentage of these young ladies are just dreamers. If it were not such a cash cow for the LPGA I'm sure they would set some minimum criteria to enter. I don't get people that give to these go fund me. To me it's just high tech begging but then again I'm just an old relic. Whatever it is none of it would work out as good as it does if the economy wasn't BOOMING.

Posted:

@Enduro59 said:

@mallrat said:

So 297 entries as of August 8. What would be the amount of entries normally in a year before now. What is the all time record for entries?

The intended field is 360.
    The field was 339 in 2018, 361 in 2017.

Posted:

Stage I entry is up to 305 as of today, August 9.
    Jiwon Jeon of University of Alabama has registered.

Posted:

Not a surprise, Bianca Isabel Pagdanganon is the class of the field. She shot -10 in 3 rounds and won the event by 6 shots.
    She's generous; she stayed as an amateur and left the prize money for other players.
    I remember she sunk an eagle putt on hole No. 18 to put Arizona in a playoff with Baylor. Arizona, eventually won 2018 NCAA Championship.
    She's been a class act all the way.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Golf DinoGolf Dino  265Members Posts: 265

@18majors said:

Not a surprise, Bianca Isabel Pagdanganon is the class of the field. She shot -10 in 3 rounds and won the event by 6 shots.
    She's generous; she stayed as an amateur and left the prize money for other players.
    I remember she sunk an eagle putt on hole No. 18 to put Arizona in a playoff with Baylor. Arizona, eventually won 2018 NCAA Championship.

And as Bianca put it, zero arguments with her dad! Her dad caddied for her this week. 😄👍👏

Posted:
  • NewinupNewinup  197Members Posts: 197

@Golf Dino said:
    @18majors said:

And as Bianca put it, zero arguments with her dad! Her dad caddied for her this week. 😄👍👏

he'll be there for QSchool too (Eg Her dad) :) ... and yes, she was a relative unknown in the international amateur field prior to sinking that eagle putt... but she had come a long way already since then. this is why i sometimes find the amateur rankings a tad frustrating to follow since sometimes i see players rated waaaaay down relative to their abilities (but i digress) - Bianca was lingering in the 90's ranking for quite some time despite those Wildcat results... her story has been like that for quite some time now: winning Phil Ladies Open when no one expected her to do so as an amateur, low NCAA score as a zag, etc)... she really wants to play in AWGA as well. I don't know how much she'll forego if she does get a full time LPGA card but wants to defer till AFTER AWGA (She'll miss quite a few australasian LPGA sanctioned events such as Honda Thailand, etc)... but let's hope she gets her card first then cross the bridge after...Obviously you guys know who I'm rooting for starting next next monday :)

Posted:

Stage I entry is up to 315, as of today August 10.

Posted:

Advertisement

@Newinup

Staying as an amateur for ANWA is a big gamble that Bianca should be careful about.
    This year's special occasion made big stars out of Jennifer Kupcho and Maira Fassi; but it didn't do anything for Yuka Saso nor Yuka Yasuda, who tied for third.
    It'd be worthwhile if Bianca wins it; otherwise having a head start at LPGA is much more practical.
    I much prefer the situation with Kristen Gillman than Jennifer Kupcho.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file