Pet Peeves (previously Players that distract you.)

dayvei214

There has been a few rounds this season where they guys I've gotten paired with would stand in my line of sight. I'm not one that usually say anything but seriously it kills me...

Last week played with a father and son Duo. Cool guys but dad seem to do whatever he could to distract me. Stood a foot off my putt line, stood right corner at the tee box. What are some things that you guys have dealt with.

If needed, I politely ask the person to move slightly as they were in my field of view.

When I play with the boys from work, it’s a distraction festival. I just work a bit harder to put blinders on and play my shot.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Attribute him a positive intention (you dont need to say it but you might as well): "You are standing there because you are curious and try to get the best view onto my admirable swing/shots."

Try to say it like "hey, I see you standing there (information, neutral, fact), this distracts me (result), please move so that I can focus on my shot (wish)."

If someone is even close to being a foot off your putting line they are comically out of place. So just tell them to move. Seriously. This isn't complicated or offensive.

I've been asked to move a time or two. People go right on living.

You have to conquer your shyness and demonstrate some assertiveness, dude.

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I gave up and just accept that many people lose all wits on a golf course and have no clue. I've offended too many people over the years by asking ....always politely .... for them not to stand behind the hole when im putting , or the inside of my backswing when im teeing off. I just treat those as purely social rounds now and get on with it.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

> @dayvei214 said:

> You're right I should be more vocal about it. But I have a certain tone that offends people lol. AST (a hole speaking tone) as I like to call it lol.

I understand this. I’m quiet ( no really I am lol) in person , but when or if I speak up it usually met with “ calm down “. Or” the shocked face response “. Because of AST. Which only irritates more. So it’s just easier to learn to ignore it and make it part of your mental game. Don’t let anything put you off. And if the guy is too close while putting , I’d just back off and take some wild full practice swings. Bet he gets the hint and moves. Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

One of the worst examples was when I was invited by a friend to one of the most high profile clubs in the world. Our caddy (his regular) was awful and my friend didn't realize it. Hed routinely March thru my putting line, stand behind the hole when putting, and never found a ball that was hit off line although clearly not OB or in junk. He also was surly when I'd ask for advice off the tee (I'd never played there before), and was reluctant to give me yardage to bunkers, and when he did they were just guesses on his part that were often wrong. Another time he left my driver behind on the previous hole and in the interest of time I used the 3 wood which of course put in a bunker in a terrible lie and led to a double, versus driver which would have cleared it.

To add insult injury he claimed to have been a tour caddie and rattled off several known pros like VJ he claims to have caddied for. Such a liar. But my friend who was a super nice guy, just didn't have golfing sense and didn't realize all the blatant errors the guys made, so just bought into his nonsense of having been caddie to the pros.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

I played earlier this week as a single. I was paired up with three older gentlemen, who seemed nice enough. On the second tee, the one guy asked me to move while he was teeing off. I was behind him at the back edge of the tee box, so I sat in the cart, no big deal. The next hole, while I was waiting to hit after him, he asked me to move again. This time I was completely behind him, out of sight. Again I went over to the cart. I realized that the other two guys were also in their cart. I asked his buddy if he always wanted to be the only one in the tee box while hitting and he said, always. Again, not a big deal but odd since it’s harder to track someone else’s ball if your sitting that far away. Needless to say, several times, we all lost track of his shot and spent time looking for it afterwards.

Another tidbit, the same guy would wait to put on his glasses until he was ready to putt, waiting for everybody else to putt first, then walk around, read the line and then putt. Then after every missed putt, he’d curse up a storm, yelling and screaming. Not joking, this was most of his putts as he would three putt almost every hole.

I don’t know if this is really distracting or just embarrassing as he was very loud.

> @Kevlar10 said:

> I played earlier this week as a single. I was paired up with three older gentlemen, who seemed nice enough. On the second tee, the one guy asked me to move while he was teeing off. I was behind him at the back edge of the tee box, so I sat in the cart, no big deal. The next hole, while I was waiting to hit after him, he asked me to move again. This time I was completely behind him, out of sight. Again I went over to the cart. I realized that the other two guys were also in their cart. I asked his buddy if he always wanted to be the only one in the tee box while hitting and he said, always. Again, not a big deal but odd since it’s harder to track someone else’s ball if your sitting that far away. Needless to say, several times, we all lost track of his shot and spent time looking for it afterwards.

> Another tidbit, the same guy would wait to put on his glasses until he was ready to putt, waiting for everybody else to putt first, then walk around, read the line and then putt. Then after every missed putt, he’d curse up a storm, yelling and screaming. Not joking, this was most of his putts as he would three putt almost every hole.

> I don’t know if this is really distracting or just embarrassing as he was very loud.

Maybe I should have called the thread golf pet peeves.

@MelloYello definitely not shy about speaking up I just know I can offend certain people. And I just rather not ruin the round experience for the group.

Not much bothers me on the golf course but someone standing too close to my putting line or something would get asked to move. Me and the guys I played with played full on drive the other guy crazy golf. Sometimes you'd have tees flying in the middle of your backswing, the random cough, no yelling was allowed but the more subtle things to make you crazy. Learned how to get very focused and block it out. Made for some fun rounds though. Play a lot looser when everyone is giving each other crap.

I have friends who stand behind you in line with the target and I can see them out of the corner of my eye and it bugs me so I feel ya. They don't mean anything by it. Sometimes I'll just say, "you know I'm a head case and I can see you out of the corner of my eye, will you back up?"

In search of solid contact...

> @Kevlar10 said:

> I played earlier this week as a single. I was paired up with three older gentlemen, who seemed nice enough. On the second tee, the one guy asked me to move while he was teeing off. I was behind him at the back edge of the tee box, so I sat in the cart, no big deal. The next hole, while I was waiting to hit after him, he asked me to move again. This time I was completely behind him, out of sight. Again I went over to the cart. I realized that the other two guys were also in their cart. I asked his buddy if he always wanted to be the only one in the tee box while hitting and he said, always. Again, not a big deal but odd since it’s harder to track someone else’s ball if your sitting that far away. Needless to say, several times, we all lost track of his shot and spent time looking for it afterwards.

> Another tidbit, the same guy would wait to put on his glasses until he was ready to putt, waiting for everybody else to putt first, then walk around, read the line and then putt. Then after every missed putt, he’d curse up a storm, yelling and screaming. Not joking, this was most of his putts as he would three putt almost every hole.

> I don’t know if this is really distracting or just embarrassing as he was very loud.

That guy actually sounds kinda fun to play with , could easily get him wound up.

I got paired with a guy once I had to share cart with . He pitched a fit when I went to drive the cart (I was on the driver side, he was on opposite). He was adamant there should be a "designated driver" otherwise it was confusing to him. So one hole he ends up like 100 yards from the cart closer to the hole when I'm next to the cart. He yells for me to bring the cart over to him...im like no man, designated driver rule ...lol. Not for a million dollars would I have driven over to him. So I make him walk 100 yards back away from the hole to drive it all the while I'm sitting in the passenger seat. Lol guy turned beet red and stayed that way rest of the round.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @dayvei214 said:

> There has been a few rounds this season where they guys I've gotten paired with would stand in my line of sight. I'm not one that usually say anything but seriously it kills me...

> Last week played with a father and son Duo. Cool guys but dad seem to do whatever he could to distract me. Stood a foot off my putt line, stood right corner at the tee box. What are some things that you guys have dealt with.

This isn't really a distraction.... more of a pet-peeve but I CAN NOT STAND IT when people don't fill in their divots. For me it goes beyond rude, it's distracting... if I see them not do it I have this super strong urge to go over there and fill it in myself or I'll think about it during my next swing.

> @Kevlar10 said:

That is nothing short of crazy. Guy wants to be on the teebox by himself!? WTF? I'd laugh in his face.

Guys like that need to be held accountable and told directly that they're out of line. I'm sorry but if he's that stupid that he doesn't realize what a buffoon he is he's obviously got the mind of a little toddler or something.

If people don't get called out and spanked on the rear end for acting foolish they never learn. Maybe Tyler Durden let's that little stuff slide but he shouldn't.

> @dayvei214 said:

> @MelloYello definitely not shy about speaking up I just know I can offend certain people. And I just rather not ruin the round experience for the group.

If you're not shy then speak up and stop worrying if some screwball is going to get offended.

Being courteous to others is expected on the golf course. So if being reminded of that is "offensive" to someone they need to be slapped in the face, kicked in the stomach and given a stunner right there.

If that doesn't phase him I'd hang out in the parking lot and horsewhip him as many times as I could until he pulled away. Hyah!

I'll remind you that while it may sound harsh it has never not worked!

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Oh man > @musclefront said:

> > @dayvei214 said:

> > You're right I should be more vocal about it. But I have a certain tone that offends people lol. AST (a hole speaking tone) as I like to call it lol.

>

> I have that too! I say excuse me can you please move a little to the left? And sound like a complete jerk haha

It usually ends with "bro you want to fight?" hahaha jk but my wife tells me all the time. I have to speak with a smile she says, but I end up looking like I just got some botox... It's disturbing

> @dayvei214 said:

> Oh man > @musclefront said:

> > > @dayvei214 said:

> > > You're right I should be more vocal about it. But I have a certain tone that offends people lol. AST (a hole speaking tone) as I like to call it lol.

> >

> > I have that too! I say excuse me can you please move a little to the left? And sound like a complete jerk haha

>

> It usually ends with "bro you want to fight?" hahaha jk but my wife tells me all the time. I have to speak with a smile she says, but I end up looking like I just got some botox... It's disturbing

Basically everything I say it sounds sarcastic when I’m not trying to be

> @Kevlar10 said:

Sounds like the makings of a 5 hour round.

I played with a Father/Son duo and another gentleman. The Father/son due hit, no joke, no less than 3 balls off the tee, including par 3's. The other guy would sit in his cart until it was his turn to hit. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time waiting for them during the round, when we didn't wait for anyone in front of us, took 5 hours. It was ridiculous. And yes, I found this all to be very distracting.

If someone is distracting you (we will assume unintentionally!) please say something! I have found that standing in the same place seems to distract one person, but not another, and standing in the place that doesn't distract the first distracts the second. So if you don't say something, the person trying to be courteous has no way to know. Of course, you can go for totally out of sight, but that can be a bit of a time waster, and sometimes it's not that easy to do. Some like you to be in a spot to watch their ball, some don't want you anywhere near that. So speak up! In a polite way, of course!

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

> @jlbos83 said:

> If someone is distracting you (we will assume unintentionally!) please say something! I have found that standing in the same place seems to distract one person, but not another, and standing in the place that doesn't distract the first distracts the second. So if you don't say something, the person trying to be courteous has no way to know. Of course, you can go for totally out of sight, but that can be a bit of a time waster, and sometimes it's not that easy to do. Some like you to be in a spot to watch their ball, some don't want you anywhere near that. So speak up! In a polite way, of course!

Honestly it's very simple ...don't stand in someone's eyeline when they're putting ESPECIALLY behind the hole. On full swings other than the obvious not directly in front, dont stand on the inside of their backswing (assuming you're near them like a tee box). Anyone requesting that is being reasonable, anyone needing more is being excessive.

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

> @golfer07840 said:

> > @Kevlar10 said:

> > I played earlier this week as a single. I was paired up with three older gentlemen, who seemed nice enough. On the second tee, the one guy asked me to move while he was teeing off. I was behind him at the back edge of the tee box, so I sat in the cart, no big deal. The next hole, while I was waiting to hit after him, he asked me to move again. This time I was completely behind him, out of sight. Again I went over to the cart. I realized that the other two guys were also in their cart. I asked his buddy if he always wanted to be the only one in the tee box while hitting and he said, always. Again, not a big deal but odd since it’s harder to track someone else’s ball if your sitting that far away. Needless to say, several times, we all lost track of his shot and spent time looking for it afterwards.

> > Another tidbit, the same guy would wait to put on his glasses until he was ready to putt, waiting for everybody else to putt first, then walk around, read the line and then putt. Then after every missed putt, he’d curse up a storm, yelling and screaming. Not joking, this was most of his putts as he would three putt almost every hole.

> > I don’t know if this is really distracting or just embarrassing as he was very loud.

>

> Sounds like the makings of a 5 hour round.

>

> I played with a Father/Son duo and another gentleman. The Father/son due hit, no joke, no less than 3 balls off the tee, including par 3's. The other guy would sit in his cart until it was his turn to hit. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time waiting for them during the round, when we didn't wait for anyone in front of us, took 5 hours. It was ridiculous. And yes, I found this all to be very distracting.

I would’ve said nice to meet ya and went ahead as a single. That’s just rude

> @musclefront said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > > @Kevlar10 said:

> > > I played earlier this week as a single. I was paired up with three older gentlemen, who seemed nice enough. On the second tee, the one guy asked me to move while he was teeing off. I was behind him at the back edge of the tee box, so I sat in the cart, no big deal. The next hole, while I was waiting to hit after him, he asked me to move again. This time I was completely behind him, out of sight. Again I went over to the cart. I realized that the other two guys were also in their cart. I asked his buddy if he always wanted to be the only one in the tee box while hitting and he said, always. Again, not a big deal but odd since it’s harder to track someone else’s ball if your sitting that far away. Needless to say, several times, we all lost track of his shot and spent time looking for it afterwards.

> > > Another tidbit, the same guy would wait to put on his glasses until he was ready to putt, waiting for everybody else to putt first, then walk around, read the line and then putt. Then after every missed putt, he’d curse up a storm, yelling and screaming. Not joking, this was most of his putts as he would three putt almost every hole.

> > > I don’t know if this is really distracting or just embarrassing as he was very loud.

> >

> > Sounds like the makings of a 5 hour round.

> >

> > I played with a Father/Son duo and another gentleman. The Father/son due hit, no joke, no less than 3 balls off the tee, including par 3's. The other guy would sit in his cart until it was his turn to hit. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time waiting for them during the round, when we didn't wait for anyone in front of us, took 5 hours. It was ridiculous. And yes, I found this all to be very distracting.

>

> I would’ve said nice to meet ya and went ahead as a single. That’s just rude

Yeah I can't stand it either... I've played with a couple of guys that play 2 shots every hole... It just throws the pace off. And wth am I waiting for their second shot on the fairway before I hit my ball?!

Im the exact opposite. And so are most in my groups. We do it on purpose and expect it to happen. That way it's never something that bothers anyone. We stand in line, we practice swing during someone's swing, we wiggle a shadow over a ball about to be putt, and it's never ending. We all expect it and it's all in fun. And yes, we play for money.

The more you do it and receive it, the more it doesn't bother you anymore.

> @JD3 said:

> One of the worst examples was when I was invited by a friend to one of the most high profile clubs in the world. Our caddy (his regular) was awful and my friend didn't realize it.

>

> To add insult injury he claimed to have been a tour caddie and rattled off several known pros like VJ he claims to have caddied for. Such a liar. But my friend who was a super nice guy, just didn't have golfing sense and didn't realize all the blatant errors the guys made, so just bought into his nonsense of having been caddie to the pros.

What high end club is this?

X________________________________ Sign Here

> Sounds like the makings of a 5 hour round.

>

> I played with a Father/Son duo and another gentleman. The Father/son due hit, no joke, no less than 3 balls off the tee, including par 3's. The other guy would sit in his cart until it was his turn to hit. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time waiting for them during the round, when we didn't wait for anyone in front of us, took 5 hours. It was ridiculous. And yes, I found this all to be very distracting.

Yes, wound up being 5:15. I don’t normally mind playing a bit slow but his tantrums were getting out of hand.

> @596 said:

> Im the exact opposite. And so are most in my groups. We do it on purpose and expect it to happen. That way it's never something that bothers anyone. We stand in line, we practice swing during someone's swing, we wiggle a shadow over a ball about to be putt, and it's never ending. We all expect it and it's all in fun. And yes, we play for money.

>

> The more you do it and receive it, the more it doesn't bother you anymore.

Maybe among a group of friends. But if I don't know you were going to have a few words...