Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

American trio confirmed for BMW PGA @ Wentworth

OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Aug 1, 2019 8:06am in Tour Talk #1

Americans Tony Finau, Billy Horschel and Patrick Reed will make their debuts in the BMW PGA Championship after confirming they will join the world class field for the fourth Rolex Series event of 2019 at Wentworth Club from September 19-22.

The trio will join Tommy Fleetwood, Rory McIlroy, defending champion Francesco Molinari and Olympic Champion Justin Rose in what is set to be one of the strongest fields in the history of the prestigious event following the change in date from its traditional May slot to September.

Read more at europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2019/tournamentid=2019080/news/newsid=374126.html#QBa4GCTc4hJgIsdR.99

Will be interesting to see if other events gain support. Some of the remaining ET events are among my favourites such as Omega European Masters (already looking like a strong field*), KLM Dutch Open, Italian Open to name a few.

*Rory, Sergio, Fleetwood, Fitzpatrick, Westwood, Willett already in field

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x
Post edited by OldTomMorris on

Comments

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see Wentworth getting the field that it always should have done. Shaping up to be an interesting event. Still miss the old Matchplay.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • anthanth From the Land Down Under Members Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For all the talk about the new schedule I think there is a genuine opportunity for the Euro Tour to own this space. Let’s see what happens

Callaway Rogue 10.5
    Callaway BB Alpha 816 16
    Srixon Z H45 19 Hybrid
    Srixon Z U45 23 Utility
    Srixon Z 765/965 5 - PW
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 50 & 54
    TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi Toe 58
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade TP5
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Edinburgh, ScotlandMembers Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@anth said:
    For all the talk about the new schedule I think there is a genuine opportunity for the Euro Tour to own this space. Let’s see what happens

I agree. Will be interesting to see if any of these guys stay on for the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship the week after Wentworth. Koepka played the Dunhill last year but not sure if he is returning.
    Curious to see how the field for the Italian Open develops being the final Rolex Series event in Europe.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • M4TTM4TT EnglandMembers Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to attending this one. Hopefully the weather is good.

COBRA BIO CELL PRO DRIVER MATRIX RED TIE X
    COBRA F8 19* HYBRID HZRDUS BLACK 6.5
    TAYLORMADE R9 TP 5 IRON KBS S
    TAYLORMADE MC 6-PW KBS S COBRA TRUSTY RUSTY 52* NIKE VR PRO 58*
    SCOTTY CAMERON CUSTOM STAMPED BLACK NEWPORT
    TITLEIST PROV1 X
    CLICGEAR 3.5 GOLF PRIDE MCC PLUS 4 MIDSIZE GREY
    TAYLORMADE 2019 FLEXTECH STAND BAG

@OldTomMorris said:

@anth said:

I agree. Will be interesting to see if any of these guys stay on for the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship the week after Wentworth. Koepka played the Dunhill last year but not sure if he is returning.
    Curious to see how the field for the Italian Open develops being the final Rolex Series event in Europe.

That's exactly what I am hoping for. Planning on heading down to watch at some point so hoping to see some good golf.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • NoodleSaladNoodleSalad Members Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

I guess they want to see that Ernie Els moat on 18 in person.

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Your fall schedule side by side

end date/ US event/ Euro event

August 25: FedEx Tour Championship/ Scandinavian Invitational
    September 1: off/ Omega European Masters
    September 8: off/ Porsche European Open
    September 15: Greenbrier/ KLM Open
    September 22: Sanderson Farms/ BMW PGA Championship
    September 29: Safeway Open/ Dunhill Links Championship
    October 6: Shriners Hopstial Open/ Spanish Open
    October 13: Houston Open/ Italian Open (still a Rolex event)
    October 20: CJ Cup/ French Open (no longer a Rolex event)
    October 27: ZOZO Championship/ Portuguese Masters
    November 3: WGC HSBC Champions (also Bermuda Championship in the US)
    November 10: off/ Turkish Airlines Open (Final #1)
    November 17: Myakoba Golf Classic/ Nedbank Challenge (Final #2)
    November 24: RSM Classic/ DP World Tour Championship Dubai (Final #3)

Very solid three months of golf for the European Tour. It could get better next year if they flip the KLM Open date with the Irish Open.

We should see an uptick in Europeans playing on their home tour as Ryder Cup qualification begins at the BMW PGA. The 2020 BMW PGA will be where the qualification race ends.

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity, why don't Americans get Ryder Cup points for winning a European Tour event. Let's say an American golfer who's 9th in the rankings wins the Scottish Open gets 0 Ryder Cup points, while another American golfer who's 10th in points wins the John Deere Classic gets a whole lot of them. That doesn't make any sense to me because the Scottish Open has a better field the the JDC.

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@KRAMER1997 said:
    Just out of curiosity, why don't Americans get Ryder Cup points for winning a European Tour event. Let's say an American golfer who's 9th in the rankings wins the Scottish Open gets 0 Ryder Cup points, while another American golfer who's 10th in points wins the John Deere Classic gets a whole lot of them. That doesn't make any sense to me because the Scottish Open has a better field the the JDC.

The PGA of America probably wants to make the PGA Tour happy by not awarding points for non PGA Tour events.

Interesting note about American Ryder Cup qualifying that pertains to this thread. Points for 2020 have already been awarded for the majors, the TPC and the WGCs for the US team. We have standings.
    https://www.rydercup.com/rankings

With the exception of the WGC China, no more American Ryder Cup points will be awarded in 2019.

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings

@Darth Putter said:
    Very solid three months of golf for the European Tour. It could get better next year if they flip the KLM Open date with the Irish Open.

Very curious to see what way the ET go on this issue, there is precedent but that was pre-Rolex Series era.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x

@Darth Putter said:

@KRAMER1997 said:

The PGA of America probably wants to make the PGA Tour happy by not awarding points for non PGA Tour events.

Interesting note about American Ryder Cup qualifying that pertains to this thread. Points for 2020 have already been awarded for the majors, the TPC and the WGCs for the US team. We have standings.
    https://www.rydercup.com/rankings

With the exception of the WGC China, no more American Ryder Cup points will be awarded in 2019.

Check Rich Been on the list there!!

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019

Notable players confirmed for ET events:
    Aug 29th-Sept 1st – Omega European Masters, Switzerland – Rory McIlroy, Sergio Garcia, Tommy Fleetwood, Lee Westwood, Danny Willett
    Sept 5th-8th – Porsche European Open, Germany – Xander Schauffele, Patrick Reed, Matt Kuchar, Paul Casey
    Sept 12th-15th – KLM Open, Holland – Patrick Reed, Sergio Garcia, Matt Wallace, Lee Westwood, Thomas Pieters, Joost Luiten
    Sept 19th-22nd – BMW PGA Championship, Wentworth – Rory McIlroy, Justin Rose, Tommy Fleetwood, Francesco Molinari, Patrick Reed, Tony Finau, Billy Horschel
    Sept 26th-29th – Alfred Dunhill Links Championship, Scotland – Some big names likely TBC (Last year featured Koepka, Fleetwood, Hatton)
    Oct 3rd-6th – Spanish Open – Jon Rahm
    Oct 10th-13th – Italian Open – Justin Rose, Francesco Molinari, Thorbjorn Olesen

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x

Hovland has committed to play this event.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • jobinjobin Members Posts: 34 ✭✭

Is there something special about Rolex events, besides maybe more $$ on offer? And why are some countries identified as Rolex and not others?
    This year, at Old Tom says, Ireland YES, France NO.

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,403 ClubWRX

Is that this week, lol?

And thanks for nothing, thought ZZ Top was confirmed.

Anyway, I really enjoy the tournament and next week will be thrilled to read even more about it!

• Dr. BombayDr. Bombay Members Posts: 270 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 2:20am #18

Were the respective appearance fee payments disclosed?

Pelley is a terrible "commissioner".

edited Sep 11, 2019 6:32am #19

@jobin said:
    Is there something special about Rolex events, besides maybe more $$ on offer? And why are some countries identified as Rolex and not others?

Basically its down to the size of the prize fund. I'm not sure in the specific case of the French Open if the date change caused an issue with sponsorship or vice versa.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
    edited Sep 11, 2019 6:33am #20

@Hawkeye77 said:
    Is that this week, lol?

Anyway, I really enjoy the tournament and next week will be thrilled to read even more about it!

I'll keep in mind that you only like to read tournament news the same week of the tournament. Not sure how that works with your signature that reads "Countdown to The Open Championship!". Are all your posts complaints?

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
    edited Sep 11, 2019 6:31am #21

@Dr. Bombay said:
    Were the respective appearance fee payments disclosed?

Pelley is a terrible "commissioner".

I'm 99% certain this event doesn't pay appearance fees. It carries a big prize fund and the OWGR points will be big too. I believe most ET players will disagree with your take on Pelley.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,403 ClubWRX
    edited Sep 11, 2019 6:38pm #22

@OldTomMorris said:

@Hawkeye77 said:
    Is that this week, lol?

I'll keep in mind that you only like to read tournament news the same week of the tournament. Not sure how that works with your signature that reads "Countdown to The Open Championship!". Are all your posts complaints?

Just an opinion.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to change my heading (don't have a signature) to "Countdown to The Masters" (which has nothing to do with a tourney thread, but happy for the reminder!).

We had a nice tradition here forever of tournament threads starting the week of. Used to be unnerving competitions of folks wanting to beat each other to the punch, etc. from time to time, but it seemed to work well. You've jumped the gun with three now covering the next three and one of them started a month out, lol. Guess I'm just nostalgic, but I'll quit teasing you about it. Obviously it's something you feel is enjoyable - enjoy! We had a nice tradition of cinnamon rolls and chili in elementary school in the winter for lunch every week and someone messed that up when I hit 5th grade - still bitter about it, lol, but things change, I just need to learn roll with it!

As I said I really enjoy Wentworth.

• Dave230Dave230 Members Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 11, 2019 7:29pm #23

@jobin said:

I imagine it's to do with sponsorship. The French were mad about investing in golf until the Ryder Cup, now they will probably go back to golf being way down the agenda. Similar will happen with Italy I imagine until the Ryder Cup then drop off. In terms of golfing heritage, Spain should have a Rolex Event, but they don't have the money.

• ByeBye EnglandMembers Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I thought they might struggle to get a decent field for this, so it’s great. I think Reed will go well there, he will need to use the twirling finish fade!

Nice to see some of the USA players supporting some of the European Tour events.

Taylormade M3 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 20 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey SM7 46.10, 50.08, 54M, 59M - S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
    Titleist Pro V1X
    edited Sep 11, 2019 7:39pm #25

@Hawkeye77 said:

@OldTomMorris said:

@Hawkeye77 said:
    Is that this week, lol?

Just an opinion.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to change my heading (don't have a signature) to "Countdown to The Masters" (which has nothing to do with a tourney thread, but happy for the reminder!).

We had a nice tradition here forever of tournament threads starting the week of. Used to be unnerving competitions of folks wanting to beat each other to the punch, etc. from time to time, but it seemed to work well. You've jumped the gun with three now covering the next three and one of them started a month out, lol. Guess I'm just nostalgic, but I'll quit teasing you about it. Obviously it's something you feel is enjoyable - enjoy! We had a nice tradition of cinnamon rolls and chili in elementary school in the winter for lunch every week and someone messed that up when I hit 5th grade - still bitter about it, lol, but things change, I just need to learn roll with it!

As I said I really enjoy Wentworth.

Simple solution, don't click the link. You're not obliged to view it.
    Nobody else on here is currently posting ET tournament threads and I've started doing the tournament ones on a Tuesday or Wednesday of tournament week. The other threads were very specific news about tournament announcements from a couple of the more high profile ET events.
    If someone else is wanting to do the ET events I'd be cool with that.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • KennyPKennyP Members Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a full field, with everyone off the 1st tee? Just wondering if there's a possibility of light issues?

@KennyP said:
    Is this a full field, with everyone off the 1st tee? Just wondering if there's a possibility of light issues?

The field was 150 players last year and the event appears to be unchanged other than the date. I suspect if it's needed they wil have factored it in andl use a two tee start.

UK TV coverage is 8 hours continuous for the first two days and 5 hours each day on the weekend.

Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • scottyc15scottyc15 HoustonMembers Posts: 45 ✭✭

I always enjoy watching this event

Taylormade M5 9 - Aldila Rogue White 130 70TX
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15 - Aldila Tour Green 85TX
    Srixon Z U85 2 - DG TI X100
    Srixon Z 765 4-PW - DG TI X100
    Taylormade MG 52,56,60 - DG TI S400
    Taylormade Spider Limited
  • HankshankHankshank Members Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 13, 2019 3:44am #29

Guess I’m a bit nostalgic, but I kind of miss the old times when athletes represented their home community, and competed in their home events. When europeans competed on the european tour(and when the european tour was european).

This process of buying in americans to spice up eu tour events have never really been something I care much about. Maybe especially in the big eu events save BO. The ones I used to look for was the Montys, the Clarkes, the Ballesteros, the Woosnams. Now it is the Rorys, the Garcias, the Tommys and the Henriks.

And maybe it is for Wentworth so more than other tournaments. This was(is?) the Big Tournament on the EU tour where the best from the tour met. I dont care too much for guys there that do not have the eu as their mother tour. Sergio, Rory, the guys have been pushed over the ocean by the dollars, I do resent that a little, but in my heart they are wanted at Wentworth, not Reeds. Silly, but then, I guess its what to expect from some early Xgens.

Koepka, Suri, Uihlein, of course another story.

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hankshank said:

I do resent that a little, but in my heart they are wanted at Wentworth, not Reeds. Silly, but then, I guess its what to expect from some early Xgens.

Why or how in the world did Keith Pelley grant Honorary Lifetime Membership to Reed last year after his Masters win? WTF was Pelley thinking? Reed is only the 4th American player awarded that honor. The other three are Arnold, Jack and Tom. No Tiger. No Phil. To say that Reed's accomlishments are quite thin to have that honor is stating the obvious. I guess Reed losing to Kristoffer Broberg in the 2015 BMW Masters made him eligible for the honor.

• MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@grm24 said:

@Hankshank said:

I do resent that a little, but in my heart they are wanted at Wentworth, not Reeds. Silly, but then, I guess its what to expect from some early Xgens.

Why or how in the world did Keith Pelley grant Honorary Lifetime Membership to Reed last year after his Masters win? WTF was Pelley thinking? Reed is only the 4th American player awarded that honor. The other three are Arnold, Jack and Tom. No Tiger. No Phil. To say that Reed's accomlishments are quite thin to have that honor is stating the obvious. I guess Reed losing to Kristoffer Broberg in the 2015 BMW Masters made him eligible for the honor.

I found that very odd, as well. I would guess it had more to do with the fact that he generally made an effort to go and play over there this time of year, and did his best to compete in enough events to maybe make the Race to Dubai, but I actually have no idea.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file