Favorite footwork drills? (especially for transition)

hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
edited Aug 2, 2019 5:20am in Instruction & Academy #1

context: what i'm trying to accomplish is a slight lateral shift toward the target in early transition and then immediately "externally rotating" both hips as i begin the downswing. this works really well for me in slow motion or when i stop at the top of the backswing, pause for a few seconds, and then go, but sometimes i get out of sync at full speed. e.g. when i miss i tend to either keep my weight/pressure moving forward without digging into the ground with the trail heel and hit it thin, or i hang back for too long and chunk it.

i've improved slowly through trial and error and am wondering if there are footwork drills you could recommend to help speed up the process.

thanks!

p.s. i think "externally rotating" the hips is the technical term for the sam sneed-like squat move, though based on my experience i think squat is a misnomer. i could track down a good explanation somewhere online if you're curious or if it adds to this post.

Post edited by hoselpalooza on

Comments

• airjammerairjammer Members Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The exercise bands will help with the external rotation part

• hoselpaloozahoselpalooza Members Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

@airjammer said:

The exercise bands will help with the external rotation part

very interesting, thanks for sharing. do you have additional info for how/why that drill helps with the external rotation part?

• airjammerairjammer Members Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The band is trying to pull your legs internal to resist that you have to externally rotate them. Not sure if guy was trying to expand the band in transition but that is what you should try to do to get the “snead” squat look.

@airjammer said:
    The band is trying to pull your legs internal to resist that you have to externally rotate them. Not sure if guy was trying to expand the band in transition but that is what you should try to do to get the “snead” squat look.

thanks for the additional comments. thinking about this feeling is helpful.

guilty admission: i've been terrible with training aids. for some reason i feel they distract me instead of helping ingrain new movements/feels. i know a lot of people benefit from these things and i don't wish to argue their usefulness; clearly they are useful to a lot of people. just speaking from personal experience, i think i've had the most success with swing changes when the focus has been on feeling and understanding what my body's doing (and why) and not an external device, if that makes sense.

• MillbrookMillbrook Members Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The thing that helped me the most was watching Russel Heritage on Youtube. He says keep centred and internally rotate into the trail leg. Keep the trail knee flexed and start the rotatation of the lead hip backwards whilst the pressure is still on the trail side.

All comments are made from the point of
    view of my learning and not a claim
    to expertise.

@Millbrook said:
    ... and start the rotatation of the lead hip backwards whilst the pressure is still on the trail side.

thanks for your comments. could you elaborate? it's not clear to me what you mean by this, particularly the bit about rotating the lead hip backwards.

• MillbrookMillbrook Members Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2019 8:15am #8

Sorry for the slow response, just seen your post. Found a drill which explains it;
    [

All comments are made from the point of
    view of my learning and not a claim
    to expertise.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file