More Expensive Clubs - Worth it?

I have an 8 year old (going into 3rd grade this upcoming year) that has been playing for a few years consistently. He currently plays with the intermediate US Kids Ultralight set - bag consists of s,w,6,7,hybrid, driver. He hits these clubs very well (at least for him) and his driver he can get out to 160 plus when he hits it and he’s very consistent with it. Typically goes to his 6 iron which he is also fairly consistent with. I’m looking for guidance / feedback on:
1) if we were to invest in the US Kids TS3 or in general nicer clubs (cobra etc) do you think it would make a difference in the driver length / iron length or am I better of just using clubs he hits very well? Are they harder to hit (he has a fairly strong swing speed for his age)

2) I plan to start junior golf tournaments with him next year. For longer holes are most juniors going driver / hybrid or is it more driver iron. I know a lot is preference but just curious on opinions.

I appreciate the feedback.

Comments

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Except for the recent Ping Prodigy junior sets, OEM Junior sets are generally considered "toys". Go with USKG TS3 or Flynn golf clubs for juniors....especially age 8.

2. Look at the USKG yardages for your kid's age. For example, take an 8 year old hitting into a 240 yard par 4. Subtract your kid's average driver total distance. That's what you got left.

All of the above just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

-- Forum bugs provide interesting information --

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wildcatden said:
    1. Except for the recent Ping Prodigy junior sets, OEM Junior sets are generally considered "toys". Go with USKG TS3 or Flynn golf clubs for juniors....especially age 8.

1. Look at the USKG yardages for your kid's age. For example, take an 8 year old hitting into a 240 yard par 4. Subtract your kid's average driver total distance. That's what you got left.

All of the above just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

I agree. Cobra irons are toys as are most OEM clubs.

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,077 ClubWRX
    1. From what you have stated, I would go to the uskids TS clubs and just make sure they are the proper length. If he can hit the UL set well, he should have very little problems transitioning. I wouldn't start experimenting with adult irons just yet.
    2. My son is 9 and they play the same USkids yardages as 8 yr olds. On the average par 4 my son goes driver and chip or flip wedge. Par 5's are driver long iron, and par 3's are mid/short irons. Even the shorter kids have driver and some sort of iron into most holes.
  • mbh922mbh922 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

I greatly appreciate everyone's comments above and it is very beneficial. My son plays another sport, and lets just say the corresponding message boards are completely different (Not in a good way). As we transition into Junior Golf tourneys its nice to have a site that provides useful guidance / feedback from those of us that are new. I'm sure I will have other questions as we progress and if I can be helpful answering others will do my best. Thanks again!

• BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! As is normal, everyone has been spot on. If he is hitting his driver 160 he might benefit from an OEM (Callaway, Cobra, Taylormade etc.) head mated to a Flynn shaft. Same with his fairway and hybrids. You will see A LOT of kids in his age with the OEM heads for driver, fairway, and hybrid followed by USKids TS or Flynn irons. If he can hit at the level you are saying he will make the transition to those higher end junior clubs easily. Something to consider!

Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

I recently switch my daughter from her Cobra Junior set. She is a small teen. She felt the set was trash. I figured she just didn't wanna go to freshman tryouts with a junior set. I purchased her a top flight set. With a TM womans 56 wedge. She has been killing it lately.

Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • mrshinsamrshinsa Members Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

As soon as he is able to hit the ball and has something that looks like a golf swing, wean off of ultralights. The shafts are way to flexy, and can cause inconsistencies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file