***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***

Update 8/14 - ***Migration work continues. Estimate Go Live to new board 8/17***

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

Black Boron RE-finish for Irons

LionGolfer ·  
LionGolferLionGolfer Members  1472WRX Points: 159Posts: 1,472 Platinum Tees

I'm thinking of refinishing a current set of saton chrome irons with a Black or Black Boron finish.
Any suggestions of a reliable shop to send them to? How much and how long please?
Also, are these finishes durable?
Thanks.

Posted:
Drivers : Crazy435COAAngel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriCrazy9Dia-ProceedIXCOABurningAngel
UTs : Itobori-ModartMA01H-ProceedTi-PXG 317
Irons : GrindStudioProto-ModartCBC-PXG311T-RoddioMeisterM
Wedges : GrindStudio-Modart-Orion
Putters : ArGolf-Benock-BPutters-Kitada-Machine-Masda-Nead-PXG-Slighter-Xenon

Comments

• LionGolferLionGolfer Members  1472WRX Points: 159Posts: 1,472 Platinum Tees

Anyone used these guys before?

https://www.tigernickgolf.com

Posted:
    Drivers : Crazy435COAAngel5-GTD455Crazy9-ItoboriCrazy9Dia-ProceedIXCOABurningAngel
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

Any suggestions?

Posted:
  • autronicdsmautronicdsm Members  820WRX Points: 112Handicap: 999Posts: 820 Golden Tee

TSG? He had some Taylormade irons refinished a while ago that looked stunning.
    I've sent two putters for soft black finish that came out good, except they didn't do any grinding/buffing. Putters were pretty old but in decent shape and only sand blasted to remove rust. I think it cost me about 90-100 bucks per head with shipping. Not sure if irons would be cheaper.

Posted:

Thanks but not a fan of tsg.

Posted:
  • MysteryVMysteryV Members  605WRX Points: 178Posts: 605 Golden Tee

I believe Black Boron is the coating Miura uses, however I'm not sure if that's what's on my black 1008s. If it is, it's essentially black oxide and wears very quickly. I came into it knowing that, however I know many don't love black coatings that wear and rust quickly and easily. I'm personally a fan, though the mark on the toe of my 8 iron infuriates me to this day.

Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM Max w/ Ventus Blue "New Year's" edition
    3 Wood / 5 Wood / 4H: Epic 3+ w/ GD AD-DI
    Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/ Oban CT-115
    Wedges: Miura Y Grind 51, Miura K Grind 56,60 w/ Modus Wedge
    Putter: Byron Morgan DH-89 GSS

Thanks for chiming in Mystery. Yes, black ox will wear. I'll be going with Satin Black Chrome. TigerNick replied. Will post before and after pics.

Posted:

Advertisement

Well, here are the before pics.

Posted:
  • titleist26titleist26 Members  332WRX Points: 79Posts: 332 Greens

black nitride would be the best finish for durability

Posted:

On -, @titleist26 said:

black nitride would be the best finish for durability

Even compared to black chrome?

Posted:
  • titleist26titleist26 Members  332WRX Points: 79Posts: 332 Greens

yes I would say so. Nitride is the most durable black finish

Posted:
  • nfmotonfmoto Members  250WRX Points: 97Posts: 250 Greens

Black DLC is going to be your best bet. More durable than nitride.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @nfmoto said:

Can you share who provides DLC (Not pvd) and cost pls.

Posted:
  • P.E.P.E. Members  148WRX Points: 84Posts: 148 Fairways

On -, @LionGolfer said:

Thanks for chiming in Mystery. Yes, black ox will wear. I'll be going with Satin Black Chrome. TigerNick replied. Will post before and after pics.

I have purchased clubs from Nick before and he is great to deal with.
    Looking forward to seeing your refinished clubs.

Posted:

On -, @P.E. said:

On -, @LionGolfer said:

I have purchased clubs from Nick before and he is great to deal with.
    Looking forward to seeing your refinished clubs.

That's great to know. Thanks for chiming in.

Posted:
  • nfmotonfmoto Members  250WRX Points: 97Posts: 250 Greens

On -, @LionGolfer said:

On -, @nfmoto said:

Golf garage. Check out their Instagram and FB.

[email protected]

Posted:

On -, @nfmoto said:

On -, @LionGolfer said:

On -, @nfmoto said:

Golf garage. Check out their Instagram and FB.

[email protected]

Thanks. Have emailed Kyle.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ebkebk Old and Broken Down Members  1221WRX Points: 97Posts: 1,221 Platinum Tees

TigerNick did some great refinishing for mr. Black chrome. But I’m intrigued by DLC on irons - I have it on some other implements and it is great. I wonder if soft feeling irons feel less soft with DLC?

Posted:

I'm waiting on Kyle to email back on time and cost. I've also asked if his is indeed a PVD as opposed to DLC. There are some similarities in the process from what I read.

Posted:

Have you considered how to deal with the head weight change if you strip the chrome and go with nitride/pvd?

Posted:

On -, @P.E. said:

Have you considered how to deal with the head weight change if you strip the chrome and go with nitride/pvd?

hmmm.. i did not consider that. How much weight loss in SW terms will this bring? Thanks for the headsup.

Posted:

On -, @LionGolfer said:

On -, @P.E. said:

hmmm.. i did not consider that. How much weight loss in SW terms will this bring? Thanks for the headsup.

I am not an expert in chrome plating but I recall someone telling me that when completely stripping a chrome head there is a loss of 7 to 9 grams.
    With 2 gr club head weight = 1 swing weight point that would be large swing weight change.
    Tip weights and/or hosel weights may be the easiest way to restore the SW that you are playing if you refinish the heads in a non chrome.
    I would definitely check with your potential refinishers before starting.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ian-500ian-500 Members  1086WRX Points: 292Handicap: 12Posts: 1,086 Platinum Tees

https://www.golfironsuk.co.uk/cerakote-ceramic
    No idea if its durable though mate.

Posted:
    DR: Callaway Rogue SZ 9° + Diamana W60x.
    FW: in the making.
    HY: Callaway Apex19 4h 23° + Tour AD IZ 95x.
    Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
    Wedges: iCleveland RTX3 52/58
    SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300.
  • autronicdsmautronicdsm Members  820WRX Points: 112Handicap: 999Posts: 820 Golden Tee

On -, @ebk said:

TigerNick did some great refinishing for mr. Black chrome. But I’m intrigued by DLC on irons - I have it on some other implements and it is great. I wonder if soft feeling irons feel less soft with DLC?

Can you post a pic of your black chrome?

Posted:
  • ChristopherMcDonaldChristopherMcDonald Members  2478WRX Points: 146Posts: 2,478 Platinum Tees

I can tell you for certain Cerakote will change the feel

Posted:
    Cobra King LTD UST Elements Chrome
    Taylormade '07 Burner 3 Wood Miyazaki B.Asha
    Taylormade '07 Burner 5 Wood Miyazaki B.Asha
    Taylormade '07 Burner 7 Wood Matrix Ozik 6Q3
    Adams XTD Tour 5-GW True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold
    Odyssey White Hot Pro V-Line
    Taylormade Project (a)

I'm also not a fan of cerakote finish looks wise.

Posted:
  • ebkebk Old and Broken Down Members  1221WRX Points: 97Posts: 1,221 Platinum Tees

On -, @autronicdsm said:

On -, @ebk said:

Can you post a pic of your black chrome?

Here you go...

Posted:

Advertisement

Looks great EBK. Sonartec?

Posted:

Those looks good. I think I might pick this option over TSG soft black when I'm ready to refinish some blades.

Posted:

On -, @LionGolfer said:

Looks great EBK. Sonartec?

Thanks. Yes, Sonartec. Love ‘em.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • WanLeftyWanLefty Members  521WRX Points: 95Posts: 521 Golden Tee

On -, @P.E. said:

On -, @LionGolfer said:

On -, @P.E. said:

I am not an expert in chrome plating but I recall someone telling me that when completely stripping a chrome head there is a loss of 7 to 9 grams.
    With 2 gr club head weight = 1 swing weight point that would be large swing weight change.
    Tip weights and/or hosel weights may be the easiest way to restore the SW that you are playing if you refinish the heads in a non chrome.
    I would definitely check with your potential refinishers before starting.

I have a fair bit of experience stripping chrome as I refinish lots of sets as a hobby. I can say that chrome and nickel loss at most is 5g - some heads lose less.

Additionally nitride is the right choice for black or if someone can do black chrome well that would depend on the finish type i.e. high polish vs bead blast etc. As that contributes to how easily it scratches - just look at the P790 Black edition or GAPR high polish doesn't hold up well regardless of coating.

Good luck with it

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.