Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Ping Glide 3.0 Appreciation Thread

Jaygolf37Jaygolf37 All Go. No Quit.Members Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up my 3.0 Eye 2’s today. Amazing feel and versatility. Love them. Who else has the new 3.0’s, and how do you like em?

Ping G30 LS Tec w/ Tour 65
Cobra BioCell 3W w/ Aldila Tour Green ATX65
Cobra AmpCell 6 wood w/ Fuji Fuel
PING G25’s
Vokey SM6’s (54s & 58k)
Odyssey Black Series Tour #5 or Exotics Tour Series 2.3
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

Comments

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Look great. These are the first Ping wedges I've been really interested in for a while. I've always liked the Eye 2 design (original, XG/Gorge).

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • Jaygolf37Jaygolf37 All Go. No Quit. Members Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am most surprised with how they perform on tight lies. That half groove on the bottom must be working.

PING G25’s
    Vokey SM6’s (54s & 58k)
  • balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Jaygolf37 said:
    I am most surprised with how they perform on tight lies. That half groove on the bottom must be working.

Yeah I found the Stealths to have exceptional spin lower in the face on tight lies maybe due to that groove. The one thing I don't get about the Eye 2 version is why they didn't do what Cally and TM did with the PM and Hi-Toe and put grooves all over the face out to the toe.

Cobra F9 Speedback 9° Project X HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  Project X HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 818 H1 19° Project X Evenflow 85g
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey SM7 52-F 56-F 60-D Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron 5.5M 35"/Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"/Odyssey Double Wide Armlock 42"
    Pro V1x

Currently - 6.2

• dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,326 ClubWRX

@balls_deep said:

@Jaygolf37 said:

Yeah I found the Stealths to have exceptional spin lower in the face on tight lies maybe due to that groove. The one thing I don't get about the Eye 2 version is why they didn't do what Cally and TM did with the PM and Hi-Toe and put grooves all over the face out to the toe.

I am glad they didn’t. I hate that look from address and never hit shots like that.

Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Driver - Tour Edge EXS 10.5 Omaha, NEMembers Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭

@balls_deep said:

@Jaygolf37 said:

You may not agree with this, but this reviewer thinks it does accomplish anything because of where the ball impacts the face.

https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q

Custom ordered mine, but have not received them yet... waiting...

The stealths did not perform as well as the MD4 for me. Did not like the MD PM and did not perform for me either.

• IvyguyIvyguy Members Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jjfcpa said:

@balls_deep said:

@Jaygolf37 said:

You may not agree with this, but this reviewer thinks it does accomplish anything because of where the ball impacts the face.

You know I kinda wonder if Ping didn't want to chase that design. Ping wedges are rarely found in bags that dont have Ping irons. So, if you like the Ping look, you'll be fine without the extra look....

I dunno.

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The Eye2 wedge is more about the grind and hosel configuration than anything. The high toe aspect was more to make it blend with the original Eye2 iron set, and the attempt at extreme perimeter weighting. Having the grooves put on the toe was just something Phil came up with at Callaway because of the extreme amount he slides the club under the ball especially out of rough. That video review is a joke, that guy is hitting off of artificial turf and has 1/100th the skill Phil does with a wedge.
    That being said the modern high toe and Eye 2 use the toe to raise the cog and provide some forgiveness higher on the face if you slide under it a bit too much from deep rough. As the Brits say it is a bit of a Marmite club.

The grind is a brilliant design in the hands of the right person using a certain technique, but if your technique isn’t similar to what Phil does I doubt it will do much good. I have an original Eye2 SW I mess around with, but I always end up with a M grind or the Ping SS in the bag. If I wanted a club just for flops though this would be it.

@jjfcpa said:

@balls_deep said:

@Jaygolf37 said:

I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS or Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • JunglelandJungleland Members Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

Put the 60 degree Eye2 Grind in play today and it’s immediately a favorite club, just solid drop and stop results from around the green, sand and fairway. Looking to add a 54 in this grind

• MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,705 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I want those eye2 wedges....I really do

But 200CAD for that wedge when I have basically a brand new PM grind Callaway which is the same thing is hard.

I'll see how long I can hold out

Ping G400 Max 10 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/S300
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • timbo08timbo08 Members Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Ivyguy said:

@jjfcpa said:

@balls_deep said:

@Jaygolf37 said:

You know I kinda wonder if Ping didn't want to chase that design. Ping wedges are rarely found in bags that dont have Ping irons. So, if you like the Ping look, you'll be fine without the extra look....

I dunno.

I watched that video the other day and didn't agree with it based on what I know about grooves, which could be wrong because I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

However, I was under the impression that often times when opening the face, you are rarely making a swing that is square to the target but cutting across the ball more. Furthermore, grooves are designed to increase spin because they channel debris away from the face and allow more of the surface area of the wedge to contact the ball. Not because "more grooves = more spin" or anything like that. So with this video, while yes, on a straight shot not in the rough using a square clubface to the target, probably doesn't make a bit of difference. But in a situation where you have rough between the ball and the clubface, and you are making a swing that is more out to in cutting across the ball and creating a great chance to make contact on the toe. I am pretty sure the grooves do make a difference.

• BumbershootBumbershoot Members Posts: 68 ✭✭

I just replaced a 58° Glide ES grind with 58° Glide 3.0 Eye2 grind, and found 2 differences: much more spin with the new wedge out of the sand (I'm sure the new grooves help), and the new wedge is much easier to hit flop shots with -- it lays open better. These are the easiest clubs to hit out of green side bunkers I've ever owned. All in all, the Eye2 grind seems an improvement.

• Jaygolf37Jaygolf37 All Go. No Quit. Members Posts: 677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 4, 2019 10:58pm #14

Here’s how versatile they are: from my round today, and on consecutive holes, I hit a couple shots to about 3 feet each. First was an airmailed tee shot on a par 3...left it long and on the bank behind with a fluffy downhill lie (Green also slopes back to front). I opened it up and hit a low spinner that check dgreat. Next hole was a “drivable” par 4...so I was 20 yards short and sitting on a very tight lie, just short of a false front (pin on the front). Same club, but not opened up. Hit a low pitch that missed the collar, but checked on the 2nd hop. That is why I love these clubs.

I’m not a pro, and I did hit some crappy shots with them today too, but their versatility is why I got them.

PING G25’s
    Vokey SM6’s (54s & 58k)
  • eebombeebomb Members Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the originals and 2.0 look so much cleaner then these

• short gameshort game Members Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭

Got mine about a week ago. Got the 58 and 54 in the SS grind. I love them. I have already holed the 58 out in a match! I am not getting the distance I would have thought with the 54. Getting about 70 yards with the 58 and about 80-85 with the 54. But its early and i am not that confident with it yet.

Ping G 400 Max 10.5 Driver; Aldila Copper X-torsion 50R
    Epic 3 wood
    Ping G 400 7 wood
    Ping G 410 4,5 hybrid
    Ping G 410 6 - UW
    Ping Glide 3.0 54 / 58
    Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

Titelst Pro V1
  • pgatwpgatw Members Posts: 3

Have been using Glide 3.0 58 Eye2 for three weeks. This thing is money around the greens. One hop and stop is easy from 50 yards and in. Excellent out of the sand. High floaters from even the tightest of lies are no problem. Came from original Glide 58 SS, which I never thought I would bench, and could not be happier.

• mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I loved the Glide 2.0. I wasn't a big fan of the Eye2 model of the Glide 3. I will say the spin on them was fantastic. I'm leaning toward trading it in for a SS model instead.

WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • bird_4_3bird_4_3 Members Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won a 54 in a tournament. Played with it last night, the ball really checks up with this club. Best thing I can say is it is a typical Ping product......reliable and good!. I am playing 210s and the wedge fits great in with the 210s

Ping G410 
    Epic 3
    XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
    Ping I210 5-UW
    TM Ardmore
    Ping Stealth Wedges

I had a chance to compare my MD4 48* and 54* wedges against the Ping 3.0 46* and 50* wedge.

I found the 48* MD4 carried further and had more spin than the Ping 3.0 46*. The MD4 carried maybe 5-10 yards further but I couldn't explain the increased spin that the MD4 delivered. Same relative shaft on both wedges.

I then tested the 50* Ping 3.0 wedge against my 54* MD4 and found that the distance was just slightly longer for the Ping and as you'd expect, the MD4 provided more spin.

Finally, I wanted to compare the MD4 54* against a MD4 58* because I've had some trouble holding greens with the 54*. I found that the 54 was spinning in the 7000-8000 range and the 58 was in the 9000-10000 range. Surprisingly, I found that I could get the same distance with both wedges. All the MD4 wedges have the same shafts. Graphite wedge flex.

I think the MD4's are staying in the bag until I get some more practice time with the Ping's to see if anything changes. At about 2/3's the price of the Ping, the MD4's seem to be a great value too.

• Night trainNight train Members Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting on my 54* Eye 2 grind to arrive, but I've had the 60* Eye 2 for about a week now...............it's very good around the greens. I've played Glide ES models in the past and liked them..........these are better. I recently had been using a TM High Toe, it's a nice wedge but not as versatile from bad lies as the 60* Eye 2..............and it's probably the best bunker club you'll ever hit.

• bjivebjive Members Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to trying these, how are they from 30-100 range? I always loved the Eye2 around the greens, but struggled with pitch to full shots.

My Bag
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5 Tensei CK Orange 60S
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 18*(playing 17*) Hzrdus Smoke 6.0
    Srixon U85 3 iron Recoil F4
    Srixon Z785 4 - PW LZ 6.0 
    Vokey SM6 54S & TVD 58M
    Putter: Taylormade Tour Spider
    Ball: Taylormade TP5X
    All grips GP TV midsize +1
  • leftycabeleftycabe IowaClubWRX Posts: 65 ClubWRX

I’m not sure why, but I can’t get into the eye 2 shape. It just looks terrible to my eye. The other thing that I’m not crazy about is the lighter weight. Personally, I like my wedges to be heavier. I really like my stealth 2.0’s but it sounds like I’ll need to custom order the 3.0’s if I stick with PING for my next set.

• animalgolfsanimalgolfs FL & OK Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Waiting

G400 Max 9* Tour 65
    G400 14.5* Tour 75
    G400h 19* Tour 85
    G Crossover 21* Tour 85{410 on the way} 
    G700 5i & 6i Recoil 110 
    i500 7-UW Recoil 110
    3.0 54* & Eye 2 58* Steelfiber i125
    2.0 B60 Stealth
  • tobiasjdtobiasjd Members Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 15, 2019 4:35pm #25

I t> @leftycabe said:

I’m not sure why, but I can’t get into the eye 2 shape. It just looks terrible to my eye. The other thing that I’m not crazy about is the lighter weight. Personally, I like my wedges to be heavier. I really like my stealth 2.0’s but it sounds like I’ll need to custom order the 3.0’s if I stick with PING for my next set.

I always custom order. You get them exactly how you like. Also, if you send your 2.0s in to Ping, they can adjust the weight heavier for you. Otherwise there's always lead tape.

Cobra King LTD Black
    Titleist 910FD 15° 3w
    Titleist 917F2 18° 5w
    Callaway Apex 4h
    PING iBlade 5 - PW
    PING Glide 50° SS
    Titleist Vokey 54° S, 60° K
    Bettinardi BB1
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I hit eye 2 today off a mat at Golf Galaxy. I will be buying them before the week is out. Love them and make me miss my Eye 2 set. Hmmm...I might have to find a eye 2 set with zz lites!

PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • mantanmantan Members Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Swapped the Eye2 54 * for SS 54* under the PGA Tour playability guarantee program.

I hit full and partial shots with it at the range today. It worked much better than the Eye 2 did for me. Head to head against the Stealth the distances were the same. The trajectory was slightly slower with the Glide 3. The Stealth felt MUCH softer.

Tomorrow AM I'll have an extended short game practice session with it. The one thing I liked about the Eye 2 is it would hop and stop. If I can get the consistency I had with the 54* ES with the SS, I will make the switch....

WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • DrawmanDrawman Members Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 20, 2019 7:06pm #28

TXG did a spin comparison of a Vokey wedge and a Glide 3.0 wedge in wet conditions ).

The results are astonishing.

The Hydropearl 2.0 finish, while not as durable as the old PING finishes, does its job.

• milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@Drawman said:
    TXG did a spin comparison of a Vokey wedge and a Glide 3.0 wedge in wet conditions ).

The results are astonishing.

The Hydropearl 2.0 finish, while not as durable as the old PING finishes, does its job.

yep, really surprising! Also, these guys do some of the best videos out there, everyweek!

• BeconBecon Members Posts: 51 ✭✭

I've been looking for a lightly used 2.0 with a Modus 105 Wedge shaft. Then they go and get the Z-Z115 from Nippon. Guess I'm buying a new 3.0 instead.

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I gotta try one of these, have been resisting, as I used to love my eye 2 becu SW and LW
    lighter weight scares me

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 3w 14* NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 
    Ping iWedge 50* Tour Concept x100
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grind 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list