GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

Ping Glide 3.0 Appreciation Thread

Jaygolf37 ·  
Jaygolf37Jaygolf37 All Go. No Quit.Members  705WRX Points: 152Handicap: 4.2Posts: 705 Golden Tee

Picked up my 3.0 Eye 2’s today. Amazing feel and versatility. Love them. Who else has the new 3.0’s, and how do you like em?

Posted:
Cobra BioCell Plus w/ Matrix Red Tie
Cobra BioCell 3W w/ Aldila Tour Green ATX65
PING g20 Hy w/ Nippon Steel
PING BeCu ISI w ZZ65’s...properly patina’d 
Vokey SM’s 54 & 58
OWorks Two-Ball Fang
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

Comments

• agolf1agolf1 Members  1971WRX Points: 1,131Posts: 1,971 Platinum Tees

Look great. These are the first Ping wedges I've been really interested in for a while. I've always liked the Eye 2 design (original, XG/Gorge).

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Jaygolf37Jaygolf37 All Go. No Quit. Members  705WRX Points: 152Handicap: 4.2Posts: 705 Golden Tee

I am most surprised with how they perform on tight lies. That half groove on the bottom must be working.

Posted:
    Vokey SM’s 54 & 58
    OWorks Two-Ball Fang
  • TigerInTheWoodsTigerInTheWoods Members  2644WRX Points: 1,662Handicap: 5Posts: 2,644 Titanium Tees

On -, @Jaygolf37 said:

I am most surprised with how they perform on tight lies. That half groove on the bottom must be working.

Yeah I found the Stealths to have exceptional spin lower in the face on tight lies maybe due to that groove. The one thing I don't get about the Eye 2 version is why they didn't do what Cally and TM did with the PM and Hi-Toe and put grooves all over the face out to the toe.

Posted:
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX  3028WRX Points: 502Handicap: 7.6Posts: 3,028 ClubWRX

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Jaygolf37 said:

Yeah I found the Stealths to have exceptional spin lower in the face on tight lies maybe due to that groove. The one thing I don't get about the Eye 2 version is why they didn't do what Cally and TM did with the PM and Hi-Toe and put grooves all over the face out to the toe.

I am glad they didn’t. I hate that look from address and never hit shots like that.

Posted:
    Ping G30 SFT driver, 10 degree, Oban Kiyoshi HB 75 stiff
    Cobra F9 Speedback, 14.5 degree, Fujikura Atmos Blue 7S
    Callaway Epic Flash, 17 degree, HzRDUS Smoke 70 stiff
    Callaway Rogue, 21 degree, Diamana BF 80 stiff
    TaylorMade GAPR Hi 24, KBS TGI 80 stiff

Srixon z765 (5-7(, z965 (8-P) Fujikura 95i TS stiff
    Callaway MD4 50 S grind, 54 W grind
    Ben Hogan Ft. Worth TK 58
    Odyssey Stroke Lab V-Line putter w/Pure grip
  • jjfcpajjfcpa Golf Nut Omaha, NEMembers  886WRX Points: 303Handicap: 12Posts: 886 Golden Tee

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Jaygolf37 said:

You may not agree with this, but this reviewer thinks it does accomplish anything because of where the ball impacts the face.

https://youtu.be/EvWsmX9mp1Q

Posted:

Mavrik Driver 10.5* Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 3w Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 5w Recoil ES440 F2

Mavrik 4h Recoil ES Smacwrap 760 F2

Callaway Apex CF19's 5i - PW Recoil 760 F2

Callaway MD5 48* - 54* Project X Catalyst 80

Callaway Chrome Soft 2020

Stroke Lab One

• jjfcpajjfcpa Golf Nut Omaha, NEMembers  886WRX Points: 303Handicap: 12Posts: 886 Golden Tee

Custom ordered mine, but have not received them yet... waiting...

The stealths did not perform as well as the MD4 for me. Did not like the MD PM and did not perform for me either.

Posted:

Stroke Lab One

Advertisement
  • IvyguyIvyguy Members  1639WRX Points: 283Posts: 1,639 Platinum Tees

On -, @jjfcpa said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Jaygolf37 said:

You may not agree with this, but this reviewer thinks it does accomplish anything because of where the ball impacts the face.

You know I kinda wonder if Ping didn't want to chase that design. Ping wedges are rarely found in bags that dont have Ping irons. So, if you like the Ping look, you'll be fine without the extra look....

I dunno.

Posted:
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13905WRX Points: 1,465Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,905 Titanium Tees

The Eye2 wedge is more about the grind and hosel configuration than anything. The high toe aspect was more to make it blend with the original Eye2 iron set, and the attempt at extreme perimeter weighting. Having the grooves put on the toe was just something Phil came up with at Callaway because of the extreme amount he slides the club under the ball especially out of rough. That video review is a joke, that guy is hitting off of artificial turf and has 1/100th the skill Phil does with a wedge.
    That being said the modern high toe and Eye 2 use the toe to raise the cog and provide some forgiveness higher on the face if you slide under it a bit too much from deep rough. As the Brits say it is a bit of a Marmite club.

The grind is a brilliant design in the hands of the right person using a certain technique, but if your technique isn’t similar to what Phil does I doubt it will do much good. I have an original Eye2 SW I mess around with, but I always end up with a M grind or the Ping SS in the bag. If I wanted a club just for flops though this would be it.

On -, @jjfcpa said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Jaygolf37 said:

Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • JunglelandJungleland Members  615WRX Points: 121Handicap: 9Posts: 615 Golden Tee

Put the 60 degree Eye2 Grind in play today and it’s immediately a favorite club, just solid drop and stop results from around the green, sand and fairway. Looking to add a 54 in this grind

Posted:
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers  29829WRX Points: 2,811Handicap: 0.0Posts: 29,829 Titanium Tees

I want those eye2 wedges....I really do

But 200CAD for that wedge when I have basically a brand new PM grind Callaway which is the same thing is hard.

I'll see how long I can hold out

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Cobra F9 FW w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
    Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Proto Hybrid
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 60 w/S300
    Odyssey O-Works Red Tank #7
  • timbo08timbo08 Members  2162WRX Points: 154Posts: 2,162 Platinum Tees

On -, @Ivyguy said:

On -, @jjfcpa said:

On -, @balls_deep said:

On -, @Jaygolf37 said:

You know I kinda wonder if Ping didn't want to chase that design. Ping wedges are rarely found in bags that dont have Ping irons. So, if you like the Ping look, you'll be fine without the extra look....

I dunno.

I watched that video the other day and didn't agree with it based on what I know about grooves, which could be wrong because I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination.

However, I was under the impression that often times when opening the face, you are rarely making a swing that is square to the target but cutting across the ball more. Furthermore, grooves are designed to increase spin because they channel debris away from the face and allow more of the surface area of the wedge to contact the ball. Not because "more grooves = more spin" or anything like that. So with this video, while yes, on a straight shot not in the rough using a square clubface to the target, probably doesn't make a bit of difference. But in a situation where you have rough between the ball and the clubface, and you are making a swing that is more out to in cutting across the ball and creating a great chance to make contact on the toe. I am pretty sure the grooves do make a difference.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • BumbershootBumbershoot Members  68WRX Points: 58Handicap: 6Posts: 68 Bunkers

I just replaced a 58° Glide ES grind with 58° Glide 3.0 Eye2 grind, and found 2 differences: much more spin with the new wedge out of the sand (I'm sure the new grooves help), and the new wedge is much easier to hit flop shots with -- it lays open better. These are the easiest clubs to hit out of green side bunkers I've ever owned. All in all, the Eye2 grind seems an improvement.

Posted:
  • Jaygolf37Jaygolf37 All Go. No Quit. Members  705WRX Points: 152Handicap: 4.2Posts: 705 Golden Tee

Here’s how versatile they are: from my round today, and on consecutive holes, I hit a couple shots to about 3 feet each. First was an airmailed tee shot on a par 3...left it long and on the bank behind with a fluffy downhill lie (Green also slopes back to front). I opened it up and hit a low spinner that check dgreat. Next hole was a “drivable” par 4...so I was 20 yards short and sitting on a very tight lie, just short of a false front (pin on the front). Same club, but not opened up. Hit a low pitch that missed the collar, but checked on the 2nd hop. That is why I love these clubs.

I’m not a pro, and I did hit some crappy shots with them today too, but their versatility is why I got them.

Posted:
    Vokey SM’s 54 & 58
    OWorks Two-Ball Fang
  • eebombeebomb Members  577WRX Points: 115Posts: 577 Golden Tee

I think the originals and 2.0 look so much cleaner then these

Posted:
  • short gameshort game Members  302WRX Points: 38Handicap: 13Posts: 302 Greens

Got mine about a week ago. Got the 58 and 54 in the SS grind. I love them. I have already holed the 58 out in a match! I am not getting the distance I would have thought with the 54. Getting about 70 yards with the 58 and about 80-85 with the 54. But its early and i am not that confident with it yet.

Posted:
    Ping G 400 Max 10.5 Driver; Aldila Copper X-torsion 50R
    Epic 3 wood
    Ping G 400 7 wood
    Ping G 410 4,5 hybrid
    Ping G 410 6 - UW
    Ping Glide 3.0 54 / 58
    Betti BB 54 / Ping Tyne

Titelst Pro V1
  • pgatwpgatw Members  4WRX Points: 16Handicap: 3Posts: 4 Starters

Have been using Glide 3.0 58 Eye2 for three weeks. This thing is money around the greens. One hop and stop is easy from 50 yards and in. Excellent out of the sand. High floaters from even the tightest of lies are no problem. Came from original Glide 58 SS, which I never thought I would bench, and could not be happier.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • mantanmantan Members  2711WRX Points: 273Handicap: 13.5Posts: 2,711 Titanium Tees

I loved the Glide 2.0. I wasn't a big fan of the Eye2 model of the Glide 3. I will say the spin on them was fantastic. I'm leaning toward trading it in for a SS model instead.

Posted:
    WITB (as of 6/8/20)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    Callaway Epic 5-wood
    PING G410 22*
    Srixon Z565 5-PW
    Cleveland CBX 2 50*
    Cleveland CBX 2 54*
    Cleveland CBX Full Face 58*
    Cleveland Frontline Elevado
    Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS
  • bird_4_3bird_4_3 Members  637WRX Points: 117Handicap: 7.2Posts: 637 Golden Tee

Won a 54 in a tournament. Played with it last night, the ball really checks up with this club. Best thing I can say is it is a typical Ping product......reliable and good!. I am playing 210s and the wedge fits great in with the 210s

Posted:
    Ping G410 
    Epic 3
    XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
    z585/z785 combo
    Bettinardi
    Ping Wedges

I had a chance to compare my MD4 48* and 54* wedges against the Ping 3.0 46* and 50* wedge.

I found the 48* MD4 carried further and had more spin than the Ping 3.0 46*. The MD4 carried maybe 5-10 yards further but I couldn't explain the increased spin that the MD4 delivered. Same relative shaft on both wedges.

I then tested the 50* Ping 3.0 wedge against my 54* MD4 and found that the distance was just slightly longer for the Ping and as you'd expect, the MD4 provided more spin.

Finally, I wanted to compare the MD4 54* against a MD4 58* because I've had some trouble holding greens with the 54*. I found that the 54 was spinning in the 7000-8000 range and the 58 was in the 9000-10000 range. Surprisingly, I found that I could get the same distance with both wedges. All the MD4 wedges have the same shafts. Graphite wedge flex.

I think the MD4's are staying in the bag until I get some more practice time with the Ping's to see if anything changes. At about 2/3's the price of the Ping, the MD4's seem to be a great value too.

Posted:

Stroke Lab One

• Night trainNight train Members  2885WRX Points: 262Posts: 2,885 Titanium Tees

Still waiting on my 54* Eye 2 grind to arrive, but I've had the 60* Eye 2 for about a week now...............it's very good around the greens. I've played Glide ES models in the past and liked them..........these are better. I recently had been using a TM High Toe, it's a nice wedge but not as versatile from bad lies as the 60* Eye 2..............and it's probably the best bunker club you'll ever hit.

Posted:
  • bjivebjive Members  92WRX Points: 76Posts: 92 Fairways

Looking forward to trying these, how are they from 30-100 range? I always loved the Eye2 around the greens, but struggled with pitch to full shots.

Posted:
    My Bag
    Ping G410 Plus 10.5 Tensei CK Orange 60S
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 18*(playing 17*) Hzrdus Smoke 6.0
    Srixon U85 3 iron Recoil F4
    Srixon Z785 4 - PW LZ 6.0 
    Vokey SM6 54S & TVD 58M
    Putter: Taylormade Tour Spider
    Ball: Taylormade TP5X
    All grips GP TV midsize +1

Advertisement
  • leftycabeleftycabe IowaClubWRX  164WRX Points: 130Handicap: GolfPosts: 164 ClubWRX

I’m not sure why, but I can’t get into the eye 2 shape. It just looks terrible to my eye. The other thing that I’m not crazy about is the lighter weight. Personally, I like my wedges to be heavier. I really like my stealth 2.0’s but it sounds like I’ll need to custom order the 3.0’s if I stick with PING for my next set.

Posted:
  • animalgolfsanimalgolfs Members  2140WRX Points: 160Handicap: 2.3Posts: 2,140 Platinum Tees

Waiting

Posted:
    Ping Sunday Bag
    9 Clubs of Freedom
  • tobiasjdtobiasjd Members  500WRX Points: 89Posts: 500 Golden Tee

I t>

On -, @leftycabe said:

I’m not sure why, but I can’t get into the eye 2 shape. It just looks terrible to my eye. The other thing that I’m not crazy about is the lighter weight. Personally, I like my wedges to be heavier. I really like my stealth 2.0’s but it sounds like I’ll need to custom order the 3.0’s if I stick with PING for my next set.

I always custom order. You get them exactly how you like. Also, if you send your 2.0s in to Ping, they can adjust the weight heavier for you. Otherwise there's always lead tape.

Posted:
    Cobra King LTD Black
    Callaway Epic Flash 15° 3w
    Callaway Apex 3-4h
    PING iBlade 5 - PW
    PING Glide 50° SS
    Titleist Vokey 54° S, 60° K
    Bettinardi BB1
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers  2243WRX Points: 319Handicap: 7Posts: 2,243 Platinum Tees

I hit eye 2 today off a mat at Golf Galaxy. I will be buying them before the week is out. Love them and make me miss my Eye 2 set. Hmmm...I might have to find a eye 2 set with zz lites!

Posted:
    Taylormade M6
    Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
    Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
    Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
    SC Phantom X 5.5
  • mantanmantan Members  2711WRX Points: 273Handicap: 13.5Posts: 2,711 Titanium Tees

Swapped the Eye2 54 * for SS 54* under the PGA Tour playability guarantee program.

I hit full and partial shots with it at the range today. It worked much better than the Eye 2 did for me. Head to head against the Stealth the distances were the same. The trajectory was slightly slower with the Glide 3. The Stealth felt MUCH softer.

Tomorrow AM I'll have an extended short game practice session with it. The one thing I liked about the Eye 2 is it would hop and stop. If I can get the consistency I had with the 54* ES with the SS, I will make the switch....

Posted:
    WITB (as of 6/8/20)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    Callaway Epic 5-wood
    PING G410 22*
    Srixon Z565 5-PW
    Cleveland CBX 2 50*
    Cleveland CBX 2 54*
    Cleveland CBX Full Face 58*
    Cleveland Frontline Elevado
    Bridgestone Tour B RX/RXS

Advertisement
  • DrawmanDrawman Members  119WRX Points: 75Handicap: 11Posts: 119 Fairways

TXG did a spin comparison of a Vokey wedge and a Glide 3.0 wedge in wet conditions

The results are astonishing.

The Hydropearl 2.0 finish, while not as durable as the old PING finishes, does its job.

Posted:
  • milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members  79WRX Points: 62Handicap: 10Posts: 79 Fairways

On -, @Drawman said:

TXG did a spin comparison of a Vokey wedge and a Glide 3.0 wedge in wet conditions

The results are astonishing.

The Hydropearl 2.0 finish, while not as durable as the old PING finishes, does its job.

yep, really surprising! Also, these guys do some of the best videos out there, everyweek!

Posted:
  • BeconBecon Members  52WRX Points: 49Posts: 52 Bunkers

I've been looking for a lightly used 2.0 with a Modus 105 Wedge shaft. Then they go and get the Z-Z115 from Nippon. Guess I'm buying a new 3.0 instead.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers  13910WRX Points: 2,725Handicap: 0.9 >< 3.8Posts: 13,910 Titanium Tees

I gotta try one of these, have been resisting, as I used to love my eye 2 becu SW and LW
    lighter weight scares me

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Blueboard Matte 53x
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Blueboard OG 63x
    Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard Ion 73x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Kuro Kage 80s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Kuro Kage 90s
    Callaway Apex UT 30* AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919t 6-PW UST Recoil 110s
    Vokey SM2 50-54tvd-59tvd-64 s400
    Titleist Scotty X7M

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.