Can't hold greens- Technique, Clubs, or Summer Greens?

Belmont148Belmont148 Members Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So my son went from being able to stick greens with his old blades to getting fit for G400 irons this summer and now can't hold a green. GW is rolling out 5-7 yards, 5i-7i 10-15 yds. Could it be ball striking, or are these clubs just terrible for landing into greens. Would think even with GI irons and low spin a GW would still spin some instead of kicking forward and rolling 5-6 yards. We are facing harder than usual summer greens though. He is using TP5X ball if that matters.

Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
F8+ 4W- HZRDUS Black 75 Stiff
Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

Comments

• BertGABertGA Members Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Many variables to consider with a club change. Are they heavier? Longer? Stiffer shafts? What was he gaming before?

I’d have to think the clubs are the most obvious culprit here, but figuring out why exactly will help you get the problem fixed. Seems to me he is probably releasing the club early, hitting thin. That’s usually why balls roll out.

• Belmont148Belmont148 Members Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve thought about that. These clubs do a great job of masking bad strikes. They launch really well no matter what it seems so might need to get on the range with a launch monitor and see.

Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
    F8+ 4W- HZRDUS Black 75 Stiff
    Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
    Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
    Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

First big question, did his ball flight change?

Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • bradskibradski Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

what is the spin on your iron. each iron should be roughly around the number x 1k. so for example a 7 iron should spin around 7k. I personally like to spin up to 1k less. 7 iron spinning 6k or so. If you don't have the backspin you won't hold.

• BertGABertGA Members Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

@Belmont148 said:
    I’ve thought about that. These clubs do a great job of masking bad strikes. They launch really well no matter what it seems so might need to get on the range with a launch monitor and see.

You prob don’t need a launch monitor if you’re outside. Just video on your phone. Is he leaving his weight on his back foot after impact? Club in front of his hands at impact? Signs of a thin shot, hitting off the sole of the club. Could also use impact tape if you have it.

• BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

@bradski said:
    what is the spin on your iron. each iron should be roughly around the number x 1k. so for example a 7 iron should spin around 7k. I personally like to spin up to 1k less. 7 iron spinning 6k or so. If you don't have the backspin you won't hold.

I would think a 1x rate on spin rate for irons for a junior golfer is a bit of a high number due to swing speed. LPGA players are looking at 6600 for their 7 iron. I may be wrong though.

Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

TPX launches lower than the TP.

• chrissdcchrissdc Members Posts: 62 ✭✭

Possibly stiffer tips in shafts.

• iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 4, 2019 6:28pm #10

How far does he hit it? Need some context on age and speed. Average carry on 7 iron and driver would help discussion a lot

I will say everything you are using is geared for the lowest spin rates you could probably get.

• TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

My junior switched to i500s in January with DG 105s. He was coming from cobra tour forged w/ KBS 90r. He took him about a month to really get his shot shape and distance control back. We did have a period of about a week were the ball was rolling out pretty bad. I actually thought to myself WTF I paid for this trash. :-) The i500 is a distance iron much like the g400. It creates less spin but launches much higher. He worked on a higher ball flight.
    We do have a GC2/HMT. He was at the range the other day and his irons were only about 500-700 below their number x1k. Pitching wedge were a little less.

Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights