Best modern single brand bag setup....

japaneseforged ·  
japaneseforgedjapaneseforged Los AngelesMembers  181WRX Points: 38Handicap: 10Posts: 181 Fairways

In your opinion, what is the best single brand bag setup of the last three-five years. Traditionally, I’ve always thought Titleist was the best year in and year out but the competition is so close now. Which quality control is best? Which perform best (TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway, Ping)? Which have the most appeal/desire? I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts!

Posted:

Comments

• 1Mordrid11Mordrid1 Members  934WRX Points: 305Posts: 934 Golden Tee

On -, @ProBlackPingman said:

In your opinion, what is the best single brand bag setup of the last three-five years. Traditionally, I’ve always thought Titleist was the best year in and year out but the competition is so close now. Which quality control is best? Which perform best (TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway, Ping)? Which have the most appeal/desire? I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts!

While I am loving my new PXG stuff, I am not sure I love everything they make. So I would have to go with PING.
    For driver Ping has several good options for me with the G400 Max and the G410. I could easily game either.
    For irons I gamed the G700's for over a year, and before I bought my new irons I was leaning towards switching to the Ping i210's.
    For fairway woods and hybrids I felt the G400s were some of the most well rounded I tried. They did not stand out in any one category, but they seemed to perform well in all categories.
    For wedges, the Glide 2.0 were some of the best Ping has ever made. I could easily see me putting them into play if I ever ditch my PM grind wedges. I have not yet tried the "improved" 3.0 Glide wedges.
    For putters I have gamed several Ping putters from some of the older Anser putters to the Ping Vault putters, and most recently to the Sygma and Sygma 2 putters.

As for other major brands
    Taylormade: I have never gotten along with their irons. In the past I liked their drivers and hybrids(raylor) but a recent bad customer service experience with a brand new driver makes it unlikely I will buy anything Taylormade.
    Callaway: I really did not get along with their drivers or woods until the Epic and Rogue line. But their irons have always been a favorite for me. For a while I just seemed to play better with Callaway irons. I currently play and love the PM Grind wedges. But I have never been a fan of the Oddyssey putters.
    Titleist: Until the TS line, their drivers and woods never excited me. I was always able to find a better performing iron from another brand. Vokey wedges are very solid but I have never gamed them for more than a month. And Scotty putters are very solid, even if in the past they were a lot more expensive than the competition.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ScottJNScottJN Members  62WRX Points: 48Posts: 62 Bunkers

From driver to putter I’d think Callaway has the best set up if you count odyssey. Epic flash Driver and woods, Apex line of irons, Mac Daddy wedges, and odyssey putters is a very solid setup. Titleist has also got to be right up there with them.

Posted:
  • JCAGJCAG John Curry Members  2179WRX Points: 168Posts: 2,179 Platinum Tees

For me, a senior golfer, Cobra. Callaway after that.

Posted:
  • mogc60mogc60 Members  1016WRX Points: 486Posts: 1,016 Platinum Tees

I will never know the answer to that question. Never gonna happen

Posted:

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  5940WRX Points: 1,404Handicap: 3Posts: 5,940 Titanium Tees

Titleist for me but then, my signature gives that away. I simply cannot see past them.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1915WRX Points: 1,089Posts: 1,915 Platinum Tees

I would play Titleist or Ping. I've always liked Titleist drivers and Ping irons/wedges. If I had to play only one all the way through it would probably be Ping.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)

Advertisement
  • SUPERGSUPERG Members  463WRX Points: 265Posts: 463 Greens

Gun to my head I’d go all TM. But I’ll never play a single brand bag ever again, simply amazing product from every OEM and finding the best from each is great.

Posted:

Taylormade M5 10.5* - Diamana DF 70 TX

Callaway Epic Flash 13.5* - PX HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.5

Callaway X Forged UT 21* - KBS $ Taper 130X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW - KBS C Taper 130X

Titleist Vokey SM7 - DG S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 9

• Big A HGBig A HG Members  686WRX Points: 211Posts: 686 Golden Tee

On -, @JCAG said:

For me, a senior golfer, Cobra.

I don't like putting either. :)

All of the top brands do everything so well now that there's no clear cut winner and very few wrong answers. I'd say Ping or Titleist are probably as consistently good top-to-bottom most frequently. They have their different strengths and oftentimes cater to different golfers, but if I had to game a full set of clubs, it'd be one of those two most likely.

If this goes beyond clubs to things like bags, balls, and gloves as well, Titleist is the clear winner of any brand. Ping would then be out (they have no balls....hehe). At that point, I'd say TaylorMade would be the runner-up to Titleist.

For the record, I have a Rogue SZ driver, Epic Flash SZ fairway wood, Titleist 909H hybrid (11 years old?), Mizuno MP-62 irons, Vokey SM4 52, Cleveland RTX4 56 and 60, and an 11 year old TaylorMade Rossa Daytona putter....so I don't think I was playing favorites at all. I strictly chose what the brands I think myself and many others would be able to transition to top-to-bottom comfortably.

Posted:
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members  571WRX Points: 145Handicap: 7Posts: 571 Golden Tee

Ping, Titleist, Taylormade and Callaway all have excellent offerings. I'd probably lean towards Titleist because I love their woods and as good as the MD wedge series is, the general gaudiness of Callaway prevents it from being in the top spot.

I'd probably rank it Titleist > Cally > Tmag > Ping, assuming ball, glove etc. isn't counted.

Posted:
  • mattmatt300mattmatt300 Members  86WRX Points: 126Posts: 86 Fairways

I’d probably go with Titleist as the easiest choice for a complete bag. That being said if I personally were going to all one brand it would be a tough choice between Titleist and Mizuno.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • amangupta1amangupta1 NCMembers  21WRX Points: 33Posts: 21 Bunkers

Taylormade. Nothing they make is poor by any regards.

Posted:
  • BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members  571WRX Points: 145Handicap: 7Posts: 571 Golden Tee

On -, @NailedIt said:

Srixon. Ball included.

Ooh, I forgot about Srixon. I've never hit their drivers or wedges, though.

Posted:
  • NailedItNailedIt Members  91WRX Points: 92Handicap: 6.3Posts: 91 Fairways

On -, @Bubbtubbs said:

On -, @NailedIt said:

Srixon. Ball included.

Ooh, I forgot about Srixon. I've never hit their drivers or wedges, though.

Well I guess I was thinking Cleveland wedges since they are a sister brand and there woods/hybrids are solid.

Posted:
  • jll62jll62 MinneapolisClubWRX  2376WRX Points: 624Handicap: +2.4Posts: 2,376 ClubWRX

Now that Titleist drivers are good again, it seems like the big three OEMs are all making really good stuff through the bag. Have to throw Srixon/Cleveland in as well, again due to the current driver being decent.

But clearly I'd vote TaylorMade, based on my signature.

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue, Shaft TBD
    TaylorMade P-790 3, Nippon Modus 130 S
    TaylorMade P750 4-5, Nippon Modus 130 S
    TaylorMade P7TW 6-PW, Nippon Modus 130 S
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Tour Proto milled Juno, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB
  • alexgolfsalexgolfs Members  93WRX Points: 31Handicap: 1Posts: 93 Fairways

I would go with titleist

Posted:

Advertisement
  • rt_chargerrt_charger Ball Hitter Members  313WRX Points: 107Posts: 313 Greens

I would say Titleist for the following reason:

When you play Titleist, you get same with everything. Same feels, same aesthetics, same performance. Iron, wedges and putters feel the same from my few hits of each (all the same sort of clickiness).

Plus you also get the advantage of playing arguably the best (at least highest quality) ball in golf.

Posted:
    "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." - Bobby Jones

WITB - Brand new (Minus Putter) as of 14/02/2020. Some yet to be fitted.
    • Driver - MIZUNO ST 200 (Yet to be fitted)
    • Fairway - MIZUNO GT 180 TS (Yet to be fitted)
    • Irons - MIZUNO MP-20 Blended Set - 3-6 HMB | 7-9 Blade - KBS $ Taper 130 (Yet to arrive)
    • Wedges - MIZUNO T20 Chrome - 47-07 | 51-08 | 56-10 | 60-06 - KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125 (Yet to arrive)
    • Putter - PING Vault 2.0 - Voss
    • Ball - Titleist Pro V1X
  • Red4282Red4282 Members  664WRX Points: 267Posts: 664 Golden Tee

Will never happen but for giggles in order- mizuno, callaway, taylormade, titleist, srixon/cleveland, ping, cobra

Posted:
  • NoFancyUsername.NoFancyUsername. Members  506WRX Points: 106Posts: 506 Golden Tee

Ping.
    Driver, 3 Wood-- G410
    Irons- Blueprint.....and the wedges.
    Putter- your choice.

Posted:
  • phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Southern Ontario, CanadaUnregistered  2130WRX Points: 392Handicap: 6.5Posts: 2,130 Platinum Tees

Really any OEM has a good line of products top to bottom. Mizuno and Cobra need to be excluded as they don't have putters, though. I think Ping is probably your best bet in this regard as they do have an iron set, woods, wedges, and putter that could fit anyone really. Titleist is a good second choice however their wood line-up is a little bit more narrow in who it can fit properly and they don't really have a mega game improvement iron for someone who is going to shoot in the high-90s or into the 100s. The AP1 is great but it is a smaller overall profile compared to say a Callaway BB, Ping G700, Taylormade M-CGB, etc. Taylormade and Callaway will fight it out for 3rd place as TM putters are quite weak IMO and Callaway has a pretty weak wedge offering IMO right now as well.

Posted:

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757
    Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85
    Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL
    Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold
    Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium

• BYKBYK Cardinals NationMembers  2107WRX Points: 303Posts: 2,107 Platinum Tees

If I had to pick just one it would be Titleist or Callaway
    That's all I have in my bag.
    Titleist hybrid, Vokey wedges, cameron putter
    Callaway driver, irons
    Not sure which one of the two I'd pick, but the putter is the most important club to me, so I'd likely figure something out with Titleist

Posted:
    Yadi for President

Advertisement
  • Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX  4671WRX Points: 477Handicap: 4Posts: 4,671 ClubWRX

I like the idea of an all Titleist bag, but in reality, I love my TM driver so much and my J15cb, I could not do a one brand bag anymore. All OEM could put a nice bag together these days though.

Posted:
    Ping G400 9*
    Titleist 913 fd 15* 
    Titleist 915h 21* 
    Titleist 710 AP2 4-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52/58
    Lajosi DD201 34"

• St JimmySt Jimmy Members  559WRX Points: 194Handicap: 8Posts: 559 Golden Tee

Ping.
    Their woods are so much better for me than the rest that any differences in irons are offset.
    I could see myself gaming a S55 or Iblade if forced to choose.

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST
    Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
    Adams Idea Pro A12 18 hybrid
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura Y Grind 51
    Miura 55
    PM Grind 60
    Scotty Golo 3
  • gwelfgulfergwelfgulfer OnteribleMembers  431WRX Points: 272Handicap: 5-25Posts: 431 Greens

Will be pulling teeth for some, but given that SC and Vokey could easily be doing what they are doing without Titleist (who is really a ball company who happens to make some clubs and stamp their name on others) as no one actually say they play a "Titleist putter' or 'Titleist wedges'. I'd go full Ping bag.

Posted:

Ping Traverse:
    Driver - Ping G400 9* w/ Accra FX380 M5
    Woods - Titleist 917F2 16.5* w/ 80X Kai'Li
    Hybrids - Titleist 816H2 21* w/ Speeder 8.8 TS S
    Irons - TM 790 UDI 2i w/ DG 120 X100, 770/750 4-PW w/ DG TI S400
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 52F/58S w/ DG TI S400
    Putter - Scotty NP Mil-Spec 34"
    Ball - TPX, V1X, XV

• spk7spk7 Members  89WRX Points: 37Posts: 89 Fairways

I still believe titleist is the best for one brand overall but not by much anymore

Posted:
  • ItsjustagameItsjustagame Members  1366WRX Points: 185Handicap: 8Posts: 1,366 Platinum Tees

Chevy vs. Ford. Whatever you personally like.

Posted:
    GBB Epic 10.5 Project X HZRDUS T800 55
    GBB Epic 5 wood
    XR 3/4/5 Hybrid
    Steelhead XR Pro 6-GW - Mamiya Recoil 95/110
    Mack Daddy 2 50,54,58
    OWorks 2 Ball Fang Slant

Advertisement
  • misterkyemisterkye ClubWRX  124WRX Points: 70Handicap: 8Posts: 124 Fairways

Titleist has come back to take the number 1 spot. They just need Tiger to come back and finish out his career w Team Titleist, while also resurrecting the PT series fairway wood :)

Posted:
    Taylormade M1 7.5*, Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
    Titleist TS3 18*, Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661 shaft
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2-iron 
    Taylormade P790 4i-PW, Oban CT-115 S shafts
    Miura Tour Wedge HB 48*, Miura K Grind 2.0 54* & 60*
    Miura MGP-M2 putter
    Titleist Pro V1
  • Whit1969Whit1969 Members  1088WRX Points: 137Posts: 1,088 Platinum Tees

If I had to pick one for just current offerings it would be Titleist as I could easily game a complete bag from them.

Taylormade-don’t like their current irons. 750 and 770s were better.

Callaway-not a fan of their drivers

Ping-just can’t get along with their drivers or woods.

Posted:
    Taylormade 2016 M2 PX Evenflow Blue 65
    Callaway Rogue 3 wood PX Evenflow Blue 75
    Titleist 915H 2 Hybrid Diamana S+ 70
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-GW PX LZ 5.5
    Vokey SM6 54 & 58
    Odyssey Protype ix milled #1

• mogc60mogc60 Members  1016WRX Points: 486Posts: 1,016 Platinum Tees

Odd I don’t have one of their clubs in my bag but I would have to go Ping. Can get custom grinds on darn near everything and everything in there lineup is very solid. Vault putters are fantastic. I think I could Ping with no compromises

Posted:

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

Advertisement
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan MidwestMembers  969WRX Points: 263Handicap: 6.9Posts: 969 Golden Tee

I have been contemplating this very question. I have never had a full bag of anything, but it is getting easier than ever before!
    My top three ways to get to a single OEM:
    3. Callaway is my third pick. I love the PM grind wedges and the Odyssey putters. The only place they really fall short for me is irons. X-Forged is my favorite but does not make the top 5 for me.
    2. Titleist is a solid number 2. SC putters, Vokey wedges, and the new drivers and FW woods are SO good. They only fall short in irons but the AP2 does make top 5.
    1. Taylormade, and I just started a quest a few weeks ago to make it a full bag. The P770's are my favorite irons of all time. From the M1 to the M6 line of drivers and FW,....all were/are near top of class for me. HiToe wedges are my favorites all time. The TP5 is my ball of choice. I am only stuck on deciding between the Spider X and the Ardmore 2...then grab a bag and I finally did it.

Hard to go wrong in todays market though.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 with Evenflow White T1100 stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Srixon Z H85 19 degree hybrid with Fujikura Pro stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 22 degree with Fujikura Pro stiff
    Bridgestone J15 CB PW-5i with Recoil 110 F4
    Vokey 58 K grind
    Ping Stealth 2.0 50 and 54 with Steelfiber 110 Stiff
    Odyssey Stroke Lab 7

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.