Made a 1 footer on 18 for bogey and a 79 (first time breaking 80)... what are your milestones?

dxdgenert ·  
dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the gameMinnesota 1909WRX Points: 441Handicap: 13.0Members Posts: 1,909 Platinum Tees

Last year I started a thread describing my heartbreaking 80:
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1682082/missed-an-8-footer-on-18-for-birdie-and-a-79-i-ve-never-broken-80-what-are-your-heartbreaks/p1

Earlier this year, I was convinced that I broke 80 with a 70-something. After jumping into the car to avoid a deluge of rain that was upon me, I realized that I forgot to add up an entire hole on my scorecard, only to find out I had actually shot an 80, again. At that point, I was devastated and wondered if it would actually happen.

Well, today was the day! With a smooth outward 40 and inward 39, I shot a 79. I stepped on to the 18th knowing that a bogey would get the job done and I was able lag the 4th shot to within a foot. Tap in 79! Only 1 fairway hit (but 8-10 were within a yard of the fairway with rough that isn't very penal), 10 greens hit (2 others on the fringe) and an amazing, for me, 31 putts. Only lost one ball, as well (luckily, I had a miraculous chip-in on that hole to save par). Overall, the best round that I've ever played, obviously, and I couldn't be happier!

What are your milestones?

Posted:
Post edited by dxdgenert on
PING G400 MAX w/ Alta CB
Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
PING G400 5 wood w/ Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75
Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG 0211 5-PW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
Cleveland CBX 52* w/ Rotex Graphite
TaylorMade Hi-Toe Bigfoot 58* w/ KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
PXG Gen1 Bat Attack H or Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Comments

• RSinSGRSinSG St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA) 3341WRX Points: 415Handicap: 7.2ClubWRX Posts: 3,341 ClubWRX

Great accomplishment. It’s always a big deal to do something for the first time, and not many non-golfers understand it.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Tour AD DI S
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • jvincentjvincent  1299WRX Points: 608Members Posts: 1,299 Platinum Tees

My first round under par I holed out a wedge for eagle on the 18th to shoot -1.

Posted:

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 18* : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• LeftDaddyLeftDaddy  852WRX Points: 249Handicap: 9Members Posts: 852 Golden Tee

I posted this a while back, but the first time I broke 80, I was +1 through 14. Bogeyed the next two so was +3 through 16. I knew that all I really needed from there was two good tee shots and I was good to go.

Got really lucky on 17 as I hit a tee ball so far left that it went over the red stakes. Saved a bogey.

So now +4 on 18 tee. Bombed a drive right down the pipe on 18 so I’m starting to celebrate inside as I drive up to my ball. I was only about 140 out, but had a pond to clear. The ball was sitting in a horrible lie in the middle of the fairway. Downhill, hardpan, surrounded by tufts of grass. I probably should have punched out or something. But I figured I wanted to at least get the ball over the water before I started giving up strokes.

Of course I hit into the water, and started choking my way to the hole. BUT, I finally lagged a putt to within a foot for a tap-in triple for a 79.

I was happy. But that 79 should have been a 75. I definitely choked a bit after my birdie on 14 to get me to +1.

Oh well. I figured many more would come after finally breaking through. It’s been two years and I’ve only done it twice since. Hoping for another one soon!

Posted:
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984  5807WRX Points: 1,252Handicap: 3Members Posts: 5,807 Titanium Tees

Well done on breaking the barrier! Hopefully, it will be the first of many for you.

My biggest is shooting 68 in the first round of our Club’s 5 Day Open. My lowest is a 67 but the 68 meant more simply because of the competition that it was in. I had played well the whole way round, with one dodgy hole when I left one in the bunker but then managed to get it up and in for a 5. On the last hole, I hit one way right off the tee and normally that would be a guaranteed bogey. It was a chip out and I had 9 iron left to the green. I managed to get it to about 15 feet and as soon as it stopped on the green, I knew I was holing the putt. I have never been so happy on a golf course...kinda wish I could do it again.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • DLiverDLiver  2667WRX Points: 217Members Posts: 2,667 Titanium Tees

Milestones? Making birdie on 18 to break 70 for the first time. That was fun!

Posted:
  • Frisco KidFrisco Kid  213WRX Points: 103Members Posts: 213 Fairways

Congratulations! With as much passion as we all have for the game and the time spent practicing, it’s such a rush when we reach a milestone. For me, the pinnacle milestone so far was when I shot even par 72 last April. Haven’t sniffed par since lol.

Posted:
    Taylormade M4 Driver Atmos R
    Taylormade M4 3HL Atmos R
    Taylormade M4 5 lFW Atmos R
    Taylormade M3 4H Tensei Blue R
    Honma TW X Forged 5-11 Vizard Shafts
    Ping Glide 2 54, 58 wedges
    Odyssey O Works 2
    OUUL Gator cart bag

Advertisement
  • jah7838jah7838  1210WRX Points: 194Members Posts: 1,210 Platinum Tees

I’ve broken 80 a few times, so my next goal was breaking 75 at some point. I’ve shot 76 a couple of times, so a I knew it was doable.

A couple of weeks ago, I shot a +2 (74), with a 3-putt bogey on 17. When I went back and looked at my scorecard, the front 9 included 2 double bogeys, 1 bogey and 2 birdies for a 39. Back 9 was 2 birdies and the 3-putt bogey on 17. Next goal is breaking par. Just have to find a way to keep doubles off the scorecard.

Posted:
    WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Speeder 757 Speeder Evolution Tour Spec Stiff Flex
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 17.5* with Motore Speeder 8.3 Stiff/Aldila Tour Blue 85s set to 16.5*
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 4 (Recoil 125 F4), 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, RTX 4 52* bent to 53* Mid, and Mizuon S18 56* bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Odyssey O Works #7 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • flip flappyflip flappy  996WRX Points: 188Members Posts: 996 Golden Tee

Congratulations on your CLR. The first time I broke 80 I added up my score wrong, but in the opposite way of the opening of your post. Pretty cool feeling when I re-added my score and realized I had shot a 79.

Yesterday I shot my CLR by shooting a 77. My iron play lately has been so inconsistent that I sure didn't think I would shoot my lowest score. I recently weakened my grip trying to help me get away from pulling the ball. I ended up putting really well, hitting my driver and my irons really well. Something weird that I have never experienced was a fog all morning that wouldn't let our range finders work very well. Some holes we would not get a reading and would have to rely on our own instincts. I had purposely not kept up with my score as my buddy was driving and had the card but I knew I had a good round going. 18 is a cool par 5 that you have to go over creek and then a pond. I hit a great drive just short of the creek but decided not to go for the green in 2. I hit a lay up to 92 yards and then put my third shot pin high to 15 feet. I hammered my birdie putt and it hit the hole hard and popped out to 5 feet. I had made 5-6 footers all day but choked on this one to finish with a 3 putt bogey. I first thought, man what could have been if I had made that birdie and had not missed another short one but soon realized what could have been if I had not made so many other putts to save par.

Posted:
    Post edited by flip flappy on
    Ping G400 Max 10.5
    Ping G400 5 wood
    Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
    Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff Montreal 29331WRX Points: 2,231Handicap: 0.0Members Posts: 29,331 Titanium Tees

First time I broke par in competition, I birdied the 17th hole (one of the toughest holes in our province) to go 1 under and then made a 10 footer on the 18th to save par.

For some reason I felt good that day and didn't feel a ton of pressure. There are other days in competitions where I've shot 76 or something where I've been more stressed

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/DG 300
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2.0 PM 60
    SGC NorthWood CS 400g 
  • Brandons68Brandons68  96WRX Points: 31Members Posts: 96 Fairways

I just went under par on 9 holes for the first time in a tournament with a nice 34. Rounded and shot 41 on the back though so I didnt go under par on the day.

Posted:
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MA 452WRX Points: 261Handicap: 10.3Members Posts: 452 Greens

Great job!
    I've been working on some stuff with the pro at my home course. Last Friday, I was off to a bad start scoring at +11 through 7 holes, even though I was striking the ball fairly well. Something we had been working on finally clicked, and my control was suddenly much better. Wound up shooting even par over the last 11 holes to finish with an 83. I had scored similarly a couple times recently, but never with that kind of finish.

Went out the next day, played an away round during a mini-vacation, had a much more consistent day with a 77, including birdies on back to back holes for the first time in 25+ years (the last time I broke 80). Only a par 70 course, but still felt great about the 77.

My other goal is to get my index down to single digits this season. I started at a 13.2, ballooned to 15.9 with 6 weeks of really bad golf. I'm down to 11.2 as of the last revision, currently trending to a 10.9.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • mwilkins25mwilkins25 NYC 100WRX Points: 22Handicap: 10Members Posts: 100 Fairways

Very jealous. I shot 3 80’s this weekend and still can’t break into the 70’s! Two of the 3 I missed < 5’ Putts and the third round I chunked one of my favorite shots, an easy 50 yard pitch.

But I did get down to a 9.2 which is my first time in single digits. Started the season at 15 so it feels good to reach my goal!

Posted:

Rogue SZ 9* Tour AD DI 6S
    Rogue SZ 15* Fujikura Pro 2.0 7S
    Irons: MP20 $taper (3,4 HMB; 5,6 MMC; 7-PW MB)
    RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* DG300
    Evenroll ER5B

• James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan  996WRX Points: 659Handicap: 12Members Posts: 996 Golden Tee

At 6300 yards it’s not the longest course, and the fast/dry/hard conditions let me bomb and gouge like no other, but it’s my home course

The 18th is our #2 cap hole at 440 yards and I came to the tee needing par for a 75; lowest all time personal mark. Boomed a drive with a tailwind of maybe 230 carry and 100 roll (found a dry slope). Hit sand wedge from 110 and just caught front edge, 35’ left. Blew the putt 12 feet past the hole.

Drained the comebacker, with an emphatic fist-pump and ”yes!”

My goals for the rest of the season are to break 80 from the 6800yd tips, and an even par front or back 9 from any tee. 37-38 so pretty close!

Posted:
    Golfing in Finland!
    Taylormade R15
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• RJ_MJ_JJRJ_MJ_JJ  108WRX Points: 91Handicap: between my earsMembers Posts: 108 Fairways

Congrats on breaking 80!!
    Milestone reached: Shot under par a few years ago for the first time since high school (kids will do that to you...). I was -1 going into 18. Had a 50 footer for birdie and all I could think about was NOT 3-putting. Ended up dropping it in - what a feeling!
    Goal to be reached: Bogey-free round. I've had stretches of 18 holes without a bogey, but never on one card. WRX will certainly hear about it when it happens...haha!

Posted:

WHS Index: ~3
    -WITB-
    DRIVER: Cobra F7+ 8* w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5-75g - tipped 1"
    DRIVING IRON: Ping G410 Crossover 2i w/ Even Flow Black 85g X
    IRONS: Ping i210 Irons 3-P w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1, blue dot
    WEDGES: Vokey SM7 50F, 54F, 58D w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+
    PUTTER: Ping Sigma G KUSHIN w/ lots of lead tape
    BALL: Bridgestone Tour B X
    GRIPS: Winn Dri Tac - MIDSIZE

• RJ_MJ_JJRJ_MJ_JJ  108WRX Points: 91Handicap: between my earsMembers Posts: 108 Fairways

On -, @mwilkins25 said:

Very jealous. I shot 3 80’s this weekend and still can’t break into the 70’s! Two of the 3 I missed < 5’ Putts and the third round I chunked one of my favorite shots, an easy 50 yard pitch.

But I did get down to a 9.2 which is my first time in single digits. Started the season at 15 so it feels good to reach my goal!

15 to a 9 in one season is OUTSTANDING. Nice work MW!

Posted:

WHS Index: ~3
    -WITB-
    DRIVER: Cobra F7+ 8* w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5-75g - tipped 1"
    DRIVING IRON: Ping G410 Crossover 2i w/ Even Flow Black 85g X
    IRONS: Ping i210 Irons 3-P w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1, blue dot
    WEDGES: Vokey SM7 50F, 54F, 58D w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+
    PUTTER: Ping Sigma G KUSHIN w/ lots of lead tape
    BALL: Bridgestone Tour B X
    GRIPS: Winn Dri Tac - MIDSIZE

• smoky25smoky25  1046WRX Points: 125Members Posts: 1,046 Platinum Tees

Shot my age for the first time on Wednesday. 65. Beat my previous personal best of 67.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Blarkins111Blarkins111  59WRX Points: 78Members Posts: 59 Bunkers

Played a course near me called Renditions today, which is made up of replica holes.

I think my career total for birdies before today was 4.

Today I birdied 3 holes on the back 9, including back to back on 11 and 12. First time ever doing that and even my playing partners (who were strangers) were really fired up!

Nice day!

Posted:
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Midwest 917WRX Points: 224Handicap: 6.9Members Posts: 917 Golden Tee

I love reading these stories. I am sure each of these experiences will live a lifetime and will bring a smile from time to time for at least that long.
    Today was my low round since returning to golf about 18 months ago after a 10 year plus break from the game. I finished the front with 3 bogies, but 4 birdies and a nice one under at my tough home course. Then had throw one OB on the back (15th handicapped hole lol) and kind of sputtered in the middle of that 9 to end the round 2 over. My cart partner was having a very rough round which took a little luster off of the day, but still, 73 it a fun day!

Posted:
    TaylorMade M6 driver with Tensei Orange
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 5 wood with Tensei Blue stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 19 degree with Atmos orange stiff
    Srixon z785 with Recoil 110 F4 shafts
    Vokey 50 F, 54 S, 58 K
    Odyssey O-Works 7s

• Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz  536WRX Points: 108Handicap: 2Members Posts: 536 Golden Tee

You know, I don't remember the first time I broke 80, 90, or 100. I do remember the first time I shot under par I had to make a 10 foot or so putt on the final hole to do it. Was pretty stoked to shoot 71. I remember I three putted the 18th to shoot 70, another time I four-putted to shoot 72. Two different courses that both ended with par 5s. First time I broke 70, I made a birdie on the 18th, but I was playing really good that round and the birdie was for 67.

Posted:
  • rxk9fanrxk9fan Midwest 917WRX Points: 224Handicap: 6.9Members Posts: 917 Golden Tee

Sorry - posting error

Posted:
    TaylorMade M6 driver with Tensei Orange
    Taylormade M4 tour 3 wood with Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited stiff
    Taylormade M4 tour 5 wood with Tensei Blue stiff
    Taylormade M6 Rescue 19 degree with Atmos orange stiff
    Srixon z785 with Recoil 110 F4 shafts
    Vokey 50 F, 54 S, 58 K
    Odyssey O-Works 7s

• JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NC 558WRX Points: 222Handicap: 8Members Posts: 558 Golden Tee

It wasn’t my lowest round, but we have 27 holes and the one nine is fairly easy to get around, but the second nine if it’s on the rotation can be a challenge. Day before I played only 9 holes, I shot -3 on the simplest nine, that was with a bogey on 3 and then double on 9. Next day I played 18 holes, same front start, but back nine my nemesis side. Usually that back side I’m shooting 3 to 5 over. So feeling good from the -3 day before ready to play good. + 5 on easy side, even on back lol 😂, it’s a crazy game. I’m an 8 hdcp, so anything in 70’s happy, so you can imagine how disappointed I was in myself about 6 months ago when I hit 16 of 18 greens and 42 putts. I don’t think I’ve ever had more 38 in a round! And that day as a testament to the clubs, that was the new blueprint ping irons with wrong shaft, I always play game improvement irons, after that day I realized shafts were just not quite what I wanted, so traded, now striving for 69! Good luck everyone.

Posted:
    I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter

Advertisement
  • tdennietdennie  89WRX Points: 23Members Posts: 89 Fairways

Mine is shooting 3 under for 9 holes while in highschool. I was hitting a horrible hook all day but I could make nearly every putt I saw. My coach at the time took the scorecard before I could take a picture.

Have yet to have another round like that.

Posted:
  • RayGormanRayGorman  169WRX Points: 69Handicap: 13Members Posts: 169 Fairways

You, my friend, were VERY lucky. Standing on the tee and knowing "all I need is a bogey"? That is almost a surefire 6 or worse. So good on'ya.
    My first real milestone that I remember clearly was shooting par at my local when I was 20. 40/32 Figured I was out of it early, but never added up the card until after the round. Birdied 10, then just kind of scrambled pars around until consecutive birds on 15,16,17 (long 4, short 4, med BUT NARROW 5). Conventional par on 18 and then added the card up in the bar. (18 was the age then!) Couldn't believe it- after such a crappy front it worked out that I just played without a goal. Was able to do it a few more times but without the heroics.
    Did shoot 2 under a few years later at a different course, but that was a general scrambling even par round with a RIDICULOUS 80 foot put for an eagle on a late par 5.

Posted:
  • SkiSchoolProSkiSchoolPro  826WRX Points: 102Handicap: 4Members Posts: 826 Golden Tee

Congrats!
    Its interesting how I can recall some milestones (breaking 90/70, under par in comp, under course rating), but not others (breaking 100/80). I know that beating my dad for the first time was a big deal, but can't recall exactly when or what score...

Posted:
  • OrangeCrushOrangeCrush  2608WRX Points: 155Members Posts: 2,608 Titanium Tees

Shot my career low 85 from the tips on a 7k yd course that I never shot better than a 88 on playing fwd tees. I had been playing off about a 17-18hdcp for the last 5 years. Just using my 2019 scores, I am at 11.2 hdcp this year. Golf is finally fun again!!!!

Posted:
    Callaway GBB 9* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
    Callaway RFE 9.5* Diamana Kai'LI 70S
    Callaway RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
    Callaway RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
    Callaway Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
    Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
    https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
    [twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]
  • FlyingAceFlyingAce  5WRX Points: 11Members Posts: 5 Bunkers

My home course has 27 holes. I challenged myself last year to par every hole at least once and have accomplished that. This season, my challenge is to 1st par every hole once again, then moving on to birdies. So far, I have par everything and birdie 11 out of 27 holes.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • davep043davep043  4693WRX Points: 1,931Handicap: 6.3Members Posts: 4,693 Titanium Tees

Congratulations to everyone who has posted, every milestone is great. For me, I remember the first time breaking 80. I was in grad school at NC State about 40 years ago, and shot 78 at Cheviot Hills (now a housing development). I mentioned it to the pro when I was done, and he said "Be sure to read the paper tomorrow". Sure enough, he got my personal best a line in the local golf section, I wish I had thought to save it. I can remember my first time under par, in a casual round, I can remember my personal best in competition (70, -2) in a Senior Club Championship about 5 years ago, and my only time under 70 (-2 69 at Talamore in Southern Pines).

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13296WRX Points: 2,180Handicap: 1.6Members Posts: 13,296 Titanium Tees

Way to go. It's a great feeling. Keep plugging away. You will shoot 74 or 75 before you know it now that the mental block is eclipsed
    I've had some solid milestones/goals hit over the years >>
    Breaking 80, winning junior club c, winning club C's, breaking 70, getting to scratch, winning a university tournament, winning provincials, an ace, an albatross
    Currently trying to break my PB of 68 .... and get back below scratch for first time in over 25 years .... and winning the club C at my current club
    For some reason I also want 9 birdies in a round (I've had 7 .... and also 6 birds and an eagle)
    First world golf problems ... I know I know

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* GD Pershing 55x
    Ping G400 3w 15.1* Oban Revenge 65x
    Callaway GBB 5w 18* Aldila NVS Pink 85x 
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* GD Tour AD DI 95x
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* GD Tour AD DI 105x
    Mizuno 919T 6 - GW UST 95 Recoil f4 
    Ping Glide SS 54* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Ping Glide ES 59* wrx UST 110 Recoil f4
    Callaway PM grind 64* UST 110 Recoil f4
    Piretti Matera Elite 

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • davep043davep043  4693WRX Points: 1,931Handicap: 6.3Members Posts: 4,693 Titanium Tees

On -, @cardoustie said:

First world golf problems ... I know I know

For all of us golfers, every milestone is great, and every frustration is really a first-world problem. We're lucky to have these as our problems.

Posted:

Home is Reston, Virgina, with regular visits to Southern Pines, NC

Advertisement
  • monkeyboymonkeyboy  803WRX Points: 233Handicap: 8.6Lefty Boomers Posts: 803 Golden Tee

I have shot mid 70s a few times prior, nothing less than a 75 though.
    I shot even par about 3 years ago, home course which I play alot - short, but greens are challenging. I played alone for the front 9, then joined up with a random guy for the rest. Started out par, eagle, then a few pars. bogey, par bogey to finish the front nice at even par. I would not say I was on fire, was getting my drives in play - not hitting a ton of greens but was getting up and down from everywhere.
    Back 9 - I had 6 straight pars - now I knew I had a chance to post a special score.
    Birdie on hole #16 - now I am -1!
    Great drive on #17, short mishit approach left me in some cabbage - poor chip, poor chip, tough putts gave me a double! Crap, now I am +1 on the back

18 is a relatively short par 5, good drive and a 3 wood from the fairway. There was no way I was not going to try a 3 wood. For some reason I always seem to pull my approach shots on this hole to the right (lefty golfer). I aim pretty far left, good strike but the ball is still edging to the right side of the green where there is sand, then woods. Ball landed softly and just rolled into the fringe. I made a great slidey putt from the fringe - had a chance to go in, but slid past - easy birdie to end with a 72.

Funny thing is that since that time, I never had a good chance for another even par round. I have replaced almost every club in my bag after getting fit - hit my new clubs noticeably better and more accurately, my game is more complete...but for whatever reason - I scored so well that day, even with ill fitting equipment.

Posted:
    Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
    Wood (14.5) - Cobra F9 Aldila NV Green 75 S
    Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
    Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
    Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
    Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
    Putter - Gauge Design GAA-8
    Ball - Snell MTB-x
    Pure Midsized Grips

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.