Made a 1 footer on 18 for bogey and a 79 (first time breaking 80)... what are your milestones?

dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the gameMinnesotaMembers Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Aug 4, 2019 1:42am in General Golf Talk #1

Last year I started a thread describing my heartbreaking 80:
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1682082/missed-an-8-footer-on-18-for-birdie-and-a-79-i-ve-never-broken-80-what-are-your-heartbreaks/p1

Earlier this year, I was convinced that I broke 80 with a 70-something. After jumping into the car to avoid a deluge of rain that was upon me, I realized that I forgot to add up an entire hole on my scorecard, only to find out I had actually shot an 80, again. At that point, I was devastated and wondered if it would actually happen.

Well, today was the day! With a smooth outward 40 and inward 39, I shot a 79. I stepped on to the 18th knowing that a bogey would get the job done and I was able lag the 4th shot to within a foot. Tap in 79! Only 1 fairway hit (but 8-10 were within a yard of the fairway with rough that isn't very penal), 10 greens hit (2 others on the fringe) and an amazing, for me, 31 putts. Only lost one ball, as well (luckily, I had a miraculous chip-in on that hole to save par). Overall, the best round that I've ever played, obviously, and I couldn't be happier!

What are your milestones?

PING G400 MAX w/ Alta CB
Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility 4 Iron
Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 5-GW
Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP Blue Tour Grind 56* and 60*
One of several milled putters
Post edited by dxdgenert on

Comments

• RSinSGRSinSG ClubWRX Posts: 3,197 ClubWRX

Great accomplishment. It’s always a big deal to do something for the first time, and not many non-golfers understand it.

Ping G410 Tensi Orange
    Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
    Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
    Ping G400 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
    Ping Glide 60* LW
    Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or)
     Scotty CameronFastback
    Gamegolf
    https://www.ledges.com/ Home course
  • jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first round under par I holed out a wedge for eagle on the 18th to shoot -1.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted this a while back, but the first time I broke 80, I was +1 through 14. Bogeyed the next two so was +3 through 16. I knew that all I really needed from there was two good tee shots and I was good to go.

Got really lucky on 17 as I hit a tee ball so far left that it went over the red stakes. Saved a bogey.

So now +4 on 18 tee. Bombed a drive right down the pipe on 18 so I’m starting to celebrate inside as I drive up to my ball. I was only about 140 out, but had a pond to clear. The ball was sitting in a horrible lie in the middle of the fairway. Downhill, hardpan, surrounded by tufts of grass. I probably should have punched out or something. But I figured I wanted to at least get the ball over the water before I started giving up strokes.

Of course I hit into the water, and started choking my way to the hole. BUT, I finally lagged a putt to within a foot for a tap-in triple for a 79.

I was happy. But that 79 should have been a 75. I definitely choked a bit after my birdie on 14 to get me to +1.

Oh well. I figured many more would come after finally breaking through. It’s been two years and I’ve only done it twice since. Hoping for another one soon!

Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Well done on breaking the barrier! Hopefully, it will be the first of many for you.

My biggest is shooting 68 in the first round of our Club’s 5 Day Open. My lowest is a 67 but the 68 meant more simply because of the competition that it was in. I had played well the whole way round, with one dodgy hole when I left one in the bunker but then managed to get it up and in for a 5. On the last hole, I hit one way right off the tee and normally that would be a guaranteed bogey. It was a chip out and I had 9 iron left to the green. I managed to get it to about 15 feet and as soon as it stopped on the green, I knew I was holing the putt. I have never been so happy on a golf course...kinda wish I could do it again.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • DLiverDLiver Members Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Milestones? Making birdie on 18 to break 70 for the first time. That was fun!

• Frisco KidFrisco Kid Members Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

Congratulations! With as much passion as we all have for the game and the time spent practicing, it’s such a rush when we reach a milestone. For me, the pinnacle milestone so far was when I shot even par 72 last April. Haven’t sniffed par since lol.

Ping G30 Driver Tour 65 R
    Ping G30 3 Metal TFC419 R
    Ping G30 5 Metal TFC419 R
    Ping I200 4-P Modus 105 R
    Ping Glide 2.0 50SS, 54SS, 58SS CFS
    Ping G Sigma Tyne Putter
    Ping DLX Cart Bag
  • jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve broken 80 a few times, so my next goal was breaking 75 at some point. I’ve shot 76 a couple of times, so a I knew it was doable.

A couple of weeks ago, I shot a +2 (74), with a 3-putt bogey on 17. When I went back and looked at my scorecard, the front 9 included 2 double bogeys, 1 bogey and 2 birdies for a 39. Back 9 was 2 birdies and the 3-putt bogey on 17. Next goal is breaking par. Just have to find a way to keep doubles off the scorecard.

WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16* with Nventix Nunchuk
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Black Tie 95g S / 18.5* RBZ Stage 2 S300, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 5-PW Fly Z+ DGTI S400
    Wedges: 50*& 54* TM Milled Grind Standard Bounce, 58* Mid RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • flip flappyflip flappy Members Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 4, 2019 8:29pm #9

Congratulations on your CLR. The first time I broke 80 I added up my score wrong, but in the opposite way of the opening of your post. Pretty cool feeling when I re-added my score and realized I had shot a 79.

Yesterday I shot my CLR by shooting a 77. My iron play lately has been so inconsistent that I sure didn't think I would shoot my lowest score. I recently weakened my grip trying to help me get away from pulling the ball. I ended up putting really well, hitting my driver and my irons really well. Something weird that I have never experienced was a fog all morning that wouldn't let our range finders work very well. Some holes we would not get a reading and would have to rely on our own instincts. I had purposely not kept up with my score as my buddy was driving and had the card but I knew I had a good round going. 18 is a cool par 5 that you have to go over creek and then a pond. I hit a great drive just short of the creek but decided not to go for the green in 2. I hit a lay up to 92 yards and then put my third shot pin high to 15 feet. I hammered my birdie putt and it hit the hole hard and popped out to 5 feet. I had made 5-6 footers all day but choked on this one to finish with a 3 putt bogey. I first thought, man what could have been if I had made that birdie and had not missed another short one but soon realized what could have been if I had not made so many other putts to save par.

Post edited by flip flappy on
    Ping G400 Max 10.5
    Cobra Baffler T Rail 3 wood
    Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
    Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
    Ping B65 Cadence
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

First time I broke par in competition, I birdied the 17th hole (one of the toughest holes in our province) to go 1 under and then made a 10 footer on the 18th to save par.

For some reason I felt good that day and didn't feel a ton of pressure. There are other days in competitions where I've shot 76 or something where I've been more stressed

Callaway Epic Subzero 8 w/ Diamana D+ 70
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • Brandons68Brandons68 Members Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

I just went under par on 9 holes for the first time in a tournament with a nice 34. Rounded and shot 41 on the back though so I didnt go under par on the day.

• SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2019 5:03pm #12

Great job!
    I've been working on some stuff with the pro at my home course. Last Friday, I was off to a bad start scoring at +11 through 7 holes, even though I was striking the ball fairly well. Something we had been working on finally clicked, and my control was suddenly much better. Wound up shooting even par over the last 11 holes to finish with an 83. I had scored similarly a couple times recently, but never with that kind of finish.

Went out the next day, played an away round during a mini-vacation, had a much more consistent day with a 77, including birdies on back to back holes for the first time in 25+ years (the last time I broke 80). Only a par 70 course, but still felt great about the 77.

My other goal is to get my index down to single digits this season. I started at a 13.2, ballooned to 15.9 with 6 weeks of really bad golf. I'm down to 11.2 as of the last revision, currently trending to a 10.9.

• mwilkins25mwilkins25 NYCMembers Posts: 73 ✭✭

Very jealous. I shot 3 80’s this weekend and still can’t break into the 70’s! Two of the 3 I missed < 5’ Putts and the third round I chunked one of my favorite shots, an easy 50 yard pitch.

But I did get down to a 9.2 which is my first time in single digits. Started the season at 15 so it feels good to reach my goal!

• James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭

At 6300 yards it’s not the longest course, and the fast/dry/hard conditions let me bomb and gouge like no other, but it’s my home course

The 18th is our #2 cap hole at 440 yards and I came to the tee needing par for a 75; lowest all time personal mark. Boomed a drive with a tailwind of maybe 230 carry and 100 roll (found a dry slope). Hit sand wedge from 110 and just caught front edge, 35’ left. Blew the putt 12 feet past the hole.

Drained the comebacker, with an emphatic fist-pump and ”yes!”

My goals for the rest of the season are to break 80 from the 6800yd tips, and an even par front or back 9 from any tee. 37-38 so pretty close!

Golfing in Finland!
    Wilson D300
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• RJ_MJ_JJRJ_MJ_JJ Members Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited Aug 9, 2019 7:59pm #15

Congrats on breaking 80!!
    Milestone reached: Shot under par a few years ago for the first time since high school (kids will do that to you...). I was -1 going into 18. Had a 50 footer for birdie and all I could think about was NOT 3-putting. Ended up dropping it in - what a feeling!
    Goal to be reached: Bogey-free round. I've had stretches of 18 holes without a bogey, but never on one card. WRX will certainly hear about it when it happens...haha!

GHIN = ~5
    -WITB-
    DRIVER: Cobra F7+ 9.5 degrees w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5-75g
    DRIVING IRON: Mizuno FLI HI 2i w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1
    IRONS: Ping i210 Irons 3-P w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1, blue dot
    WEDGES: Vokey SM7 Wedges, 50, 54, 58 - w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+
    PUTTER: Ping Sigma G KUSHIN w/ lots of lead tape
    BALL: Bridgestone Tour B330
    GRIPS: Winn Dri Tac - MIDSIZE

• RJ_MJ_JJRJ_MJ_JJ Members Posts: 56 ✭✭

@mwilkins25 said:
    Very jealous. I shot 3 80’s this weekend and still can’t break into the 70’s! Two of the 3 I missed < 5’ Putts and the third round I chunked one of my favorite shots, an easy 50 yard pitch.

But I did get down to a 9.2 which is my first time in single digits. Started the season at 15 so it feels good to reach my goal!

15 to a 9 in one season is OUTSTANDING. Nice work MW!

GHIN = ~5
    -WITB-
    DRIVER: Cobra F7+ 9.5 degrees w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5-75g
    DRIVING IRON: Mizuno FLI HI 2i w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1
    IRONS: Ping i210 Irons 3-P w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1, blue dot
    WEDGES: Vokey SM7 Wedges, 50, 54, 58 - w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+
    PUTTER: Ping Sigma G KUSHIN w/ lots of lead tape
    BALL: Bridgestone Tour B330
    GRIPS: Winn Dri Tac - MIDSIZE

• smoky25smoky25 Members Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Shot my age for the first time on Wednesday. 65. Beat my previous personal best of 67.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file