Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Made a 1 footer on 18 for bogey and a 79 (first time breaking 80)... what are your milestones?

2»

Comments

• tonypizzletonypizzle Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

grats to all the posters on your milestones. always great to hear stories of accomplishments.
    i recently reached a personal milestone and shot under par for the first time. i finished -1 for the round. i was somehow -3 after the front and managed my way through some errant 2nd shots on the back nine to finish -1. although i had a chance at birdie on 18 but played slightly too much break. hoping i can continue this play for the rest of the year!

• SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭

Had my first sub-80 round in 25 years about a month ago, shooting a 77 on a par 70 course much easier than my home course. Saturday I finally broke through on my home course with a 79. Shot 40 on the front, and was playing well. Bogeyed the first 4 holes on the back, figured oh well, that's that. Proceeded to birdie 14 and par the rest to shoot 39 on the back. 17 and 18 are longer par 4's (392 and 422 respectively). Both holes, ripped my drive into the woods but had a good angle to advance the ball out. Both times got it within 75 yards of the green with a hooded 4 iron, both times hit a lob wedge inside a foot for tap in pars. Proceeded to shoot a 91 on Sunday, but we don't need to discuss that.

My other goal coming into the year was to get my index down to single digits. Started the year at 13.2, had 7-8 weeks (covering 30-40 rounds) in the spring of really bad golf that ballooned it to 15.3 on 6/15. I've been playing really well lately (and I play a LOT, averaging at least 5 18-hole rounds per week), and as long as I don't screw the pooch between now and Saturday, I'll get down to single digits - current cap is 10.3, trending cap is 9.0.

• McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sill chasing scratch thats my long term goal. I'll share my one and only milestone. The only time I have broken down and cried as an adult. Its lame I know but it was my first real tournament win as a grown **** man.

The long story short: My mom asked me to win her a trophy before she passed of cancer. Looking back I know that she probably knew she wouldn't get to see it. Cancer is a tough and brutal one. It was just her way of motivating me to keep playing instead of moping or being depressed. I've posted before but the first few years getting back into competitive golf I could barely put a tee in the ground I was so nervous. I'm ashamed to admit I was literally drinking fireball in a parking lot before tee off so I could get drunk enough to not care. It was sad and I'm not proud of it.

However: I won my first club championship in September of 2015. My mom had passed in July a few months prior. I'm not spiritual or anything but it was a weekend right out of the cheesiest movie you could picture. Golf was my therapy for that year or two and it all clicked for me on the right weekend. I took down the guy at my club who had won 9 of the 15 club championships. I couldnt miss a putt. Just calm and composed the entire time. I remember waking up the Saturday of day one and knowing I was gonna be there at the end.

I shot a 67 on the final day to come from behind as a 3-4 handicap at the time. Career tournament low by a MILE. Only time I've gone under par in a tournament . I definitely enjoy the memory a lot more now than I did that day. Wept like a baby in the parking lot for a good 10 minutes haha but I wear that one like a badge of honor.

• Big BenBig Ben Members Posts: 9,214 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 26, 2019 8:27pm #35

Well done! My personal low round of 67 and haven’t sniffed it since.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
    Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2
    Hybrid: A-Grind
    2 iron: Ping Rapture
    Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
    Putter: Evnroll 9.1
    Balls: ProV1
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davep043 said:
    Congratulations to everyone who has posted, every milestone is great. For me, I remember the first time breaking 80. I was in grad school at NC State about 40 years ago, and shot 78 at Cheviot Hills (now a housing development). I mentioned it to the pro when I was done, and he said "Be sure to read the paper tomorrow". Sure enough, he got my personal best a line in the local golf section, I wish I had thought to save it. I can remember my first time under par, in a casual round, I can remember my personal best in competition (70, -2) in a Senior Club Championship about 5 years ago, and my only time under 70 (-2 69 at Talamore in Southern Pines).

Couple things: Have you tried to look on newspapers(dot)com for the story in the N&O? I feel sure it's on there. Might take a bit of time to find it, but not that long. Also, Cheviot Hills isn't housing...it's car dealerships, and I really think that's a sadder outcome. I was living in Raleigh when it shut down. Shut down quick, like they signed the papers and I believe it shut down within a week or 10 days. It shut down so quick that I know they had times booked out beyond the closing date... But for the money that was allegedly paid for that land...I'd have shut down quick too.

• MignuzMignuz Members Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

Milestone: I broke par for the first time 5 years ago,shot a -2 70 with 3 birdies and 1 bogey.
    I shot under par -1 71 a couple of weeks ago, with 6 birdies, 3 bogeys and a double.
    My goal is to shot in the 60s and that day I was so close, counting a stupid double bogey with 3 putts and the fact that I played horrible golf with drive/irons. Fortunately, I shot 25 putts (counting the 3 putt!): I wasted the perfect putting day.

• JerryTBallJerryTBall Avid Amateur NCMembers Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭

@Johnny Biarritz said:

@davep043 said:
    Congratulations to everyone who has posted, every milestone is great. For me, I remember the first time breaking 80. I was in grad school at NC State about 40 years ago, and shot 78 at Cheviot Hills (now a housing development). I mentioned it to the pro when I was done, and he said "Be sure to read the paper tomorrow". Sure enough, he got my personal best a line in the local golf section, I wish I had thought to save it. I can remember my first time under par, in a casual round, I can remember my personal best in competition (70, -2) in a Senior Club Championship about 5 years ago, and my only time under 70 (-2 69 at Talamore in Southern Pines).

Couple things: Have you tried to look on newspapers(dot)com for the story in the N&O? I feel sure it's on there. Might take a bit of time to find it, but not that long. Also, Cheviot Hills isn't housing...it's car dealerships, and I really think that's a sadder outcome. I was living in Raleigh when it shut down. Shut down quick, like they signed the papers and I believe it shut down within a week or 10 days. It shut down so quick that I know they had times booked out beyond the closing date... But for the money that was allegedly paid for that land...I'd have shut down quick too.

Yep Leith got some deep pockets, I still Live here and take my car to the Toyota dealer for service you can actually still see some of the old par five that wasn’t developed I believe unless it’s an Audi dealer now LOL. At my old course a lot of the guys that played with all came from Cheviot or the old Wake Forest club that shut down which was another shame, and crooked Creek, people bought a house to live on a golf course 20 years later no more golf course sucks

I change clubs too often to be able to update my signature but here’s what I currently play
    919 tour irons & 919 forged yes I have both sets
    Ping G400 max G400 7 wood G400 3 hybrid
    Ping glide wedges
    Scotty putter
  • jah7838jah7838 Members Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I broke 75 for the first time about a month ago. I went 39-35, with 2 double bogeys on the front 9, and had 4 birdies on the back 9. A couple of bad holes from breaking par, which is my next goal.

WITB
    Driver: 9.5* M3 Diamana 'Ahina 70s or Attas Elements MK 7s
    Fairway: Cobra F6 Baffler set to 16.5* with Motore Speeder 8.3 Stiff
    Hybrids: 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 S300
    Irons: 4 iron PTx Pro with RIP Tour 115s,  5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro DGTI S400 (4 iron isn't in the bag very often)
    Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Hogan TK wedge, 52* bent to 53* Mid and 56* bent to 58* RTX 4. All wedges have DGTI S400
    Putter: Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,337 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Blarkins111 said:
    Played a course near me called Renditions today, which is made up of replica holes.

I think my career total for birdies before today was 4.

Today I birdied 3 holes on the back 9, including back to back on 11 and 12. First time ever doing that and even my playing partners (who were strangers) were really fired up!

Nice day!

Always great when people get fired up!

• Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations great accomplishment

Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file