LPGA distances vs average strong man on wRX

Man_O_War

impressed with the distances the ladies get at Woburn. 438 yard hole and it's driver 7 iron for most..535 par 5 and a few are making it on . I know for sure they are much longer than most male players i've come across who would be taking 3 swings to get on 438 yard holes....technique is what the golf swing is.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well obviously technique is very important, but you can't compare amateur average schmucks to female pros in any sport.

A WNBA player would destroy me in 1 on 1 and I'm a good athlete who actually played college basketball (I am also 38 now, sooo)

The LPGA ladies are awesome, and overall many do probably underestimate how good female pros are in general....But elite male ams or male pros are obviously gonna smack it a lot further than them. And some of these are the strongmen of which you speak on WRX

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't remember why, but I was just looking at this info earlier this week. I was surprised at how low the average distances are for the women. Of course, these are averages for all players - not Lexi Thompson numbers.

https://www.golf.com/instruction/2019/04/23/pga-tour-lpga-players-trackman-stats

I would guess a lot of single digit index male players would blow it by the LPGA women. And the women would still kick their rear ends.

Yes, it is very much technique. But they are also getting a ton of roll out of those drives due to how firm the fairways are and the fact that their clubs are set to optimize their launch/spin.....the avg driver swing speed on the LPGA Tour is only around 95 mph, with a ball speed of around 140 mph.....but given course and equipment set ups (on top of technique), it's little wonder the ladies can put it on a long par 4 the way they do.

I haven't watched the final round of the Women's British so I can't comment on any particular hole but there's been an influx of big hitters into the women's game in recent years (i.e. Angel Yin, Sung Hyun Park, Anne Van Dam, etc.). All of those will routinely push it out there around 300 during tournament play where the holes allow.

There are still plenty of women who play well by driving it 250-260 but it's starting to hurt them.

We were just having a conversation about the changing landscape on the LPGA with respect to Lydia Ko. She was the golden girl just a few years ago and ranked in the 60's with her driving distance. Just 3 years later, she's well outside the top-100 in terms of distance.

Things are definitely changing. Many of the women are routinely pushing it out there 275+. That's as long as me, LOL. They aren't going to challenge the PGA but pound-for-pound that's probably just as good I would think.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I've always felt like the LPGA players get a bit more out of their drivers than their irons. Probably a combination of near perfect strike/launch with the driver, very firm course conditions, and dialing back the irons a bit.

The other thing to consider is that their average drive of ~260 yards (typical player) includes the slight mishits and holes that are uphill/into the wind. My guess is when you ask most guys how far they hit their driver it doesn't include the ones that don't go as far for whatever reason. And the mishits become a more glaring issue the farther away from scratch you get.

> @MtlJeff said:

> A WNBA player would destroy me in 1 on 1 and I'm a good athlete who actually played college basketball (I am also 38 now, sooo)

Interesting question as to what would be a more humbling experience for most. Getting waxed by a 5 foot 6 inch female on the course or getting worked over by some beast in the paint on the court?

> @MelloYello said:

> I haven't watched the final round of the Women's British so I can't comment on any particular hole but there's been an influx of big hitters into the women's game in recent years (i.e. Angel Yin, Sung Hyun Park, Anne Van Dam, etc.). All of those will routinely push it out there around 300 during tournament play where the holes allow.

>

> There are still plenty of women who play well by driving it 250-260 but it's starting to hurt them.

>

> We were just having a conversation about the changing landscape on the LPGA with respect to Lydia Ko. She was the golden girl just a few years ago and ranked in the 60's with her driving distance. Just 3 years later, she's well outside the top-100 in terms of distance.

>

> Things are definitely changing. Many of the women are routinely pushing it out there 275+. That's as long as me, LOL. They aren't going to challenge the PGA but pound-for-pound that's probably just as good I would think.

I don’t disagree with your premise but you’ve overinflated some of those numbers. Van Dam leads the LPGA in driving distance at 284. I don’t think she or anyone else is pushing it out there 300+ routinely, if at all.

There are only 9 players that average 275 or more. Again, I don’t think there are that many LPGA players who routinely hit it that far. I think 250-260 players out there are just fine. There aren’t that many players in the field hitting it past them.

You’re average male 2-3 handicap or below would be in the top 10 in driving distance on the LPGA tour. That does not mean they are as good or could even compete. Just strictly speaking distance.

Conditions matter.

Club championships this weekend. Im no beast and a 6 cap. We have a short par 5 at 480. Yesterday there was no wind but I hit driver pw into the green. Today was into the wind and I hit driver 7. Sound impressive but it isnt. It's a slight dogleg at 250 to carry a bunker on the corner. If you clear the corner there as small down slope that yields about 30 yards roll. Also this is a green you don't dare attack. You play 20 yards short and let it roll up. If the pin is in the back you could be taking 40 yards off the distance. Point is that is that it may sound impressive to hit driver 7i but a firm course and well placed shots like these ladies excel at can often make it sound like theyre hitting further than they are. What id give for Brooks are arias talent though.

> @agolf1 said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > A WNBA player would destroy me in 1 on 1 and I'm a good athlete who actually played college basketball (I am also 38 now, sooo)

> Interesting question as to what would be a more humbling experience for most. Getting waxed by a 5 foot 6 inch female on the course or getting worked over by some beast in the paint on the court?

Probably basketball LOL, golf seems so much less personal. You can't stop the other person from doing something as you aren't guarding each other. Plus since the scores are higher they seems closer....like losing 67 to 75 to an LPGA player doesn't sound as bad as losing like, 15-1 to a WNBA player haha

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @Hilltopper413 said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > I haven't watched the final round of the Women's British so I can't comment on any particular hole but there's been an influx of big hitters into the women's game in recent years (i.e. Angel Yin, Sung Hyun Park, Anne Van Dam, etc.). All of those will routinely push it out there around 300 during tournament play where the holes allow.

> >

> > There are still plenty of women who play well by driving it 250-260 but it's starting to hurt them.

> >

> > We were just having a conversation about the changing landscape on the LPGA with respect to Lydia Ko. She was the golden girl just a few years ago and ranked in the 60's with her driving distance. Just 3 years later, she's well outside the top-100 in terms of distance.

> >

> > Things are definitely changing. Many of the women are routinely pushing it out there 275+. That's as long as me, LOL. They aren't going to challenge the PGA but pound-for-pound that's probably just as good I would think.

>

> I don’t disagree with your premise but you’ve overinflated some of those numbers. Van Dam leads the LPGA in driving distance at 284. I don’t think she or anyone else is pushing it out there 300+ routinely, if at all.

>

> There are only 9 players that average 275 or more. Again, I don’t think there are that many LPGA players who routinely hit it that far. I think 250-260 players out there are just fine. There aren’t that many players in the field hitting it past them.

>

> You’re average male 2-3 handicap or below would be in the top 10 in driving distance on the LPGA tour. That does not mean they are as good or could even compete. Just strictly speaking distance.

I say it as someone who watches the tournaments. Those players are routinely getting to 300.

I'm not saying they have an extra 10-mph of SS in the bag. I'm saying that when the fairway gives them some run-out they are routinely getting to 300. I'm sure all of the big hitters on the LPGA can carry it past 270. With the right kick that's easily a 300-yd drive. So barring a soggy course, they're all doing it at least once a round. That's evident if you watch the tournaments.

If you don't think that's "fair" consider run-out, then ask yourself if the average WRX bro is accounting for those good bounces in the posts we read....ugh, no, LOL. So if we're talking about point A to point B, then yeah, the bigger hitters on the LPGA are hitting 300 pretty regularly.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Hilltopper413 said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > I haven't watched the final round of the Women's British so I can't comment on any particular hole but there's been an influx of big hitters into the women's game in recent years (i.e. Angel Yin, Sung Hyun Park, Anne Van Dam, etc.). All of those will routinely push it out there around 300 during tournament play where the holes allow.

> > >

> > > There are still plenty of women who play well by driving it 250-260 but it's starting to hurt them.

> > >

> > > We were just having a conversation about the changing landscape on the LPGA with respect to Lydia Ko. She was the golden girl just a few years ago and ranked in the 60's with her driving distance. Just 3 years later, she's well outside the top-100 in terms of distance.

> > >

> > > Things are definitely changing. Many of the women are routinely pushing it out there 275+. That's as long as me, LOL. They aren't going to challenge the PGA but pound-for-pound that's probably just as good I would think.

> >

> > I don’t disagree with your premise but you’ve overinflated some of those numbers. Van Dam leads the LPGA in driving distance at 284. I don’t think she or anyone else is pushing it out there 300+ routinely, if at all.

> >

> > There are only 9 players that average 275 or more. Again, I don’t think there are that many LPGA players who routinely hit it that far. I think 250-260 players out there are just fine. There aren’t that many players in the field hitting it past them.

> >

> > You’re average male 2-3 handicap or below would be in the top 10 in driving distance on the LPGA tour. That does not mean they are as good or could even compete. Just strictly speaking distance.

>

> I say it as someone who watches the tournaments. Those players are routinely getting to 300.

>

> I'm not saying they have an extra 10-mph of SS in the bag. I'm saying that when the fairway gives them some run-out they are routinely getting to 300. I'm sure all of the big hitters on the LPGA can carry it past 270. With the right kick that's easily a 300-yd drive. So barring a soggy course, they're all doing it at least once a round. That's evident if you watch the tournaments.

>

> If you don't think that's "fair" consider run-out, then ask yourself if the average WRX bro is accounting for those good bounces in the posts we read....ugh, no, LOL. So if we're talking about point A to point B, then yeah, the bigger hitters on the LPGA are hitting 300 pretty regularly.

A couple other points here:

a) The median driving distance on the LPGA this year is ~259 yards. So those players in the 250-260 range literally have ~1/2 or more of the field hitting it past them.

b) Some of the distances in (2nd shot) on TV can be a bit misleading. Angles as mentioned above and it seems like the tour often has tees moved up, which aren't always accounted for on the signs behind the tee box. That being said, for the few that average ~275+, getting to 300 is only a 9% increase. This is no different than the ~340 drive you see guys like Rory pop every now and then.

It's all relative to how far you hit the ball now, but I still think averaging 260 under all conditions is pretty noteworthy for these players.

Keep in mind that the averages are measured on two holes, one playing downwind and one playing into the wind. A player averaging 275+ is definitely poking them out there in the 290 to 300 range at times.

'Definitely seeing more players hitting it farther. It's no different than on the PGA. As noted, the median driving average is currently 258.58. Only 5 years ago it was 247.53.

Personally, I think those Trackman numbers are off. The numbers for the LPGA are the same ones they've been publishing for several years. There's no way the women are averaging 258 this season with only 218 yards of carry.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> Keep in mind that the averages are measured on two holes, one playing downwind and one playing into the wind. A player averaging 275+ is definitely poking them out there in the 290 to 300 range at times.

>

> 'Definitely seeing more players hitting it farther. It's no different than on the PGA. As noted, the median driving average is currently 258.58. Only 5 years ago it was 247.53.

>

> Personally, I think those Trackman numbers are off. The numbers for the LPGA are the same ones they've been publishing for several years. There's no way the women are averaging 258 this season with only 218 yards of carry.

I agree with you on the Trackman numbers. I am longer or as long as those numbers and I am an old fat lady. I play against the kids in a state stroke play event every year. Most are longer than I am and none are shorter really. It doesn't add up compared to those Trackman stats.

> @Argonne69 said:

> Keep in mind that the averages are measured on two holes, one playing downwind and one playing into the wind. A player averaging 275+ is definitely poking them out there in the 290 to 300 range at times.

>

> 'Definitely seeing more players hitting it farther. It's no different than on the PGA. As noted, the median driving average is currently 258.58. Only 5 years ago it was 247.53.

>

> Personally, I think those Trackman numbers are off. The numbers for the LPGA are the same ones they've been publishing for several years. There's no way the women are averaging 258 this season with only 218 yards of carry.

Absolutely correct. Here are the trackman numbers from 2010. Pretty much identical.

https://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/2010/10/trackman-definitive-answers-at-impact-and-more

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > Keep in mind that the averages are measured on two holes, one playing downwind and one playing into the wind. A player averaging 275+ is definitely poking them out there in the 290 to 300 range at times.

> >

> > 'Definitely seeing more players hitting it farther. It's no different than on the PGA. As noted, the median driving average is currently 258.58. Only 5 years ago it was 247.53.

> >

> > Personally, I think those Trackman numbers are off. The numbers for the LPGA are the same ones they've been publishing for several years. There's no way the women are averaging 258 this season with only 218 yards of carry.

>

> Absolutely correct. Here are the trackman numbers from 2010. Pretty much identical.

> https://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/2010/10/trackman-definitive-answers-at-impact-and-more

I play Ping i200's (w/ traditional lofts). The vast majority of LPGA pros with Ping contracts played i200s for several years before recently switching to i210s. My driver SS is ~98 mph. I hit my 8i 155 yds. 'No way I'm doing that with a 76 mph swing.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @"North Texas" said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > Keep in mind that the averages are measured on two holes, one playing downwind and one playing into the wind. A player averaging 275+ is definitely poking them out there in the 290 to 300 range at times.

> > >

> > > 'Definitely seeing more players hitting it farther. It's no different than on the PGA. As noted, the median driving average is currently 258.58. Only 5 years ago it was 247.53.

> > >

> > > Personally, I think those Trackman numbers are off. The numbers for the LPGA are the same ones they've been publishing for several years. There's no way the women are averaging 258 this season with only 218 yards of carry.

> >

> > Absolutely correct. Here are the trackman numbers from 2010. Pretty much identical.

> > https://www.andrewricegolf.com/andrew-rice-golf/2010/10/trackman-definitive-answers-at-impact-and-more

>

> I play Ping i200's (w/ traditional lofts). The vast majority of LPGA pros with Ping contracts played i200s for several years before recently switching to i210s. My driver SS is ~98 mph. I hit my 8i 155 yds. 'No way I'm doing that with a 76 mph swing.

Trackman averages across many golfers tend to be a little wonky for irons anyway because there is no normalization of club loft. As an example PWs probably vary from 47° down to 44° at least. That sort of matters.

I watched most of the coverage Sunday. Granted it was mostly following the top groups, I only recall seeing 1 lady make the 535 yard par 5 in 2 shots, and her ball rolled quite a bit.. and that pin was in the back half of the green I believe (Front of green was probably about 500 yards?). My memory isn't the best but I fee like most were laying up.

Also, Shibuno drove the short par 4 which I think measured about 255 to pin. Think she carried it around 240 or so.

However, Salas probably carries her driver 250 to 260... She was hitting her 6 Crossover into the 180 yard par 3, and I'd say hitting a 6i 170-175 is further than most "average" males. GolfWRX average, probably not, but for the random muni golfer, that's further.

Based on what I saw at the US Open a few years ago, I'm guessing most gals are hitting the driver about 240-250 total. Long hitters out to 270-280. I think that week the longest hitter was averaging about 276 or so. Again... depends on what holes they take the distances from and wind but I assume they pick holes where most people would take driver out.

Another point about LPGA stats. Given that the driving average is calculated from only 2 holes, they use both drives each day regardless if it finds the fairway. This has a big effect on the overall average. The men have ShotLink, and all drives are used. For example, In Gee Chun averaged 240, 247, 266, and 261 each day for an overall average of 253. It's fairly clear to me that the 240 yds is an outlier.

Hinako averaged 259, 263, 233, and 264 for the four days. Again, 233 was an outlier, and probably the result of missing the fairway. A quality player capable of hitting drives 260+ does not simply hit one less than 230 without catching thick rough.

> @musclefront said:

> 300 gets thrown around as if it’s not long. It is and the women aren’t hitting it 300 and neither are you. It’s just reality

"The women"? All women? Some women? Most women? Is was walking with Lexi, Lydia, and Inbee two years ago at the KPMG at Olymia fields. On one hole Lydia and Inbee poked their drives out 250. Lexi smashed hers more than 300 yds. I had my SkyCaddie with me, and she was 50+ yds in front of her playing partners.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @musclefront said:

> > 300 gets thrown around as if it’s not long. It is and the women aren’t hitting it 300 and neither are you. It’s just reality

>

> "The women"? All women? Some women? Most women? Is was walking with Lexi, Lydia, and Inbee two years ago at the KPMG at Olymia fields. On one hole Lydia and Inbee poked their drives out 250. Lexi smashed hers more than 300 yds. I had my SkyCaddie with me, and she was 50+ yds in front of her playing partners.

Women as in men and women. As in the women on the LPGA tour. Don’t try and PC my point. Lexi is the longest hitter out there pretty much and you saw her hit one drive in a baked fairway to 300. My point is in general no men or women except elite pga guys (DJ brooks Rory) or long drivers “routinely” hit it 300. No need to get offended it’s just facts.

> @musclefront said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > > @musclefront said:

> > > 300 gets thrown around as if it’s not long. It is and the women aren’t hitting it 300 and neither are you. It’s just reality

> >

> > "The women"? All women? Some women? Most women? Is was walking with Lexi, Lydia, and Inbee two years ago at the KPMG at Olymia fields. On one hole Lydia and Inbee poked their drives out 250. Lexi smashed hers more than 300 yds. I had my SkyCaddie with me, and she was 50+ yds in front of her playing partners.

>

> Women as in men and women. As in the women on the LPGA tour. Don’t try and PC my point. Lexi is the longest hitter out there pretty much and you saw her hit one drive in a baked fairway to 300. My point is in general no men or women except elite pga guys (DJ brooks Rory) or long drivers “routinely” hit it 300. No need to get offended it’s just facts.

300 is definitely long. There are PGA guys swinging ~115 (113?) or so that don't average 300. Based on the ball speeds I've seen, my guess is the longer hitters (SHP, Lexi) have a swingspeed somewhere in the 100-105 range. Again, it'd be crazy for anyone to claim this type of speed is producing averages of 300. But I'd say it's enough to get it there with the right external conditions. I think we are all quibbling over the interpretation of regularly or routinely.

I've always felt, in these type of conversations, that folks confuse "average" drive versus what the typical make "can do".

Amateur golfer hits good ones 250-260 and says that's how far he hits his drives.

LPGA player AVERAGES 265 And folks think that is as far as she can hit it. Her max in other words. But it's her average. So for every into the wind soggy fairway 245 she also hits one 285.

It's just math.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Shilgy said:

> I've always felt, in these type of conversations, that folks confuse "average" drive versus what the typical make "can do".

> Amateur golfer hits good ones 250-260 and says that's how far he hits his drives.

> LPGA player AVERAGES 265 And folks think that is as far as she can hit it. Her max in other words. But it's her average. So for every into the wind soggy fairway 245 she also hits one 285.

> It's just math.

I put my drives in two categories.

1. My average drive counting all drives.

2. My average drive counting just my good drives.

I only talk about #2 when telling people how far I hit the ball. Am I doing it wrong?

> @"North Texas" said:

> > @Shilgy said:

> > I've always felt, in these type of conversations, that folks confuse "average" drive versus what the typical make "can do".

> > Amateur golfer hits good ones 250-260 and says that's how far he hits his drives.

> > LPGA player AVERAGES 265 And folks think that is as far as she can hit it. Her max in other words. But it's her average. So for every into the wind soggy fairway 245 she also hits one 285.

> > It's just math.

>

> I put my drives in two categories.

> 1. My average drive counting all drives.

> 2. My average drive counting just my good drives.

>

> I only talk about #2 when telling people how far I hit the ball. Am I doing it wrong?

You're doing it normal. But the professional stats include any duck hooks, shanks, 3 woods....

If they professional stats were done the way #2 works they would most likely all go up 10-20 yards.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar