used iron set that is NOT Low Spin, High Launch?

pm4610pm4610 Members Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations on a used 1-2 years old that is NOT low spin, high launch, Max distance? I like Callaway Pre-owned, and Ping and Mizuno. I wish I could determine what is is or is not a low spin/high launch/max distance set. By they way, I'm a high handicapper and rarely break 100. Yes I've had plenty of lessons from all different instructors - no more lessons. I just dont have golf DNA. I've been playing with PING I3+ and time for a change regardless.
Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 4, 2019 8:02pm #2

Are you looking for a forgiving set? More of a players club profile. Do you like a particular head shape or offset? Max distance is going to be “mostly” on the irons with hot faces...multi material irons and hotter lofts. Typically a players cavity back model with be a mid flight and good distance but more consistent with less hot shots.

TAYLORMADE M5 TOUR 9* SMOKE GREEN 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    COBRA BIOCELL+ 13.5* MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    COBRA CB SATIN 3-6 CATALYST 100 6.5
    COBRA MB SATIN 7-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 50* MODUS 120X
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 54* MODUS 120X
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Generally, the blades and player cavity backs are not low spin, high launch. Ping i200 might be what you want. But there are lots of irons in that category.

• pm4610pm4610 Members Posts: 367 ✭✭✭✭

I can't break 100. So I'm definitely not in the players club category at all. Offset doesn't me. Wide chunky/clunky soles do annoy me. I 'm willing to sacrifice MAX forgiveness to get something without very wide soles, definitely forgiving. I like the look of player's clubs but really can't play them. I looked at the Callaway Fusion which seemed good for me, but they are hard to find in excellent condition. I thought about the Epic Irons, until I found out they are low spin/high launch. The Ping i200, maybe but it doesn't seem much different than i3+ irons I have now.

by they way thanks, for the replies/assistance!

• mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Srixon 565/85 is a nice compromise. Wilson C300 could be a great fit too

TAYLORMADE M5 TOUR 9* SMOKE GREEN 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    COBRA BIOCELL+ 13.5* MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    COBRA CB SATIN 3-6 CATALYST 100 6.5
    COBRA MB SATIN 7-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 50* MODUS 120X
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 54* MODUS 120X
    BRIDGESTONE XW-1 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Check out the Callaway X Hot or X2 Hot irons. Might be what you're looking for.

• phatchrisrulesphatchrisrules Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2019 12:22pm #8

@pm4610 said:
    I can't break 100. So I'm definitely not in the players club category at all. Offset doesn't me. Wide chunky/clunky soles do annoy me. I 'm willing to sacrifice MAX forgiveness to get something without very wide soles, definitely forgiving. I like the look of player's clubs but really can't play them. I looked at the Callaway Fusion which seemed good for me, but they are hard to find in excellent condition. I thought about the Epic Irons, until I found out they are low spin/high launch. The Ping i200, maybe but it doesn't seem much different than i3+ irons I have now.

Mizuno MPH4/H5, Titleist AP1, Taylormade M2/M4, Wilson C300 Forged, Srixon 545/65/85, Ping GMax (probably the best SGI of all time), Callaway XR. Don't worry about "low spin/high launch". Clubs can be bent to whatever spec needed so you could easily play a set of Mizuno 900 Hot Metal or Callaway Big Bertha or Cobra King Oversize. If you shoot ~100, a wide soled, cup face, high launching iron is going to be your friend more often than not compared to a smaller soled, mid launching CB with little forgiveness when you need it most. Don't get dragged into the "play a hard to hit club as you'll be better later" sentiment. Should you play the same irons as Shane Lowry who just won the Open as someone suggested with the Srixon 785? Absolutely-freaking-not.

Play what your handicap needs and work out the swing kinks with them. If you absolutely must play something small with some offset help then I guess you're looking at New Level 1031, Mizuno Hot Metal Pro, Taylormade M3/M5, Ping i20/i25/iE1/i200/i210, and Callaway Steelhead Pro. However, these really aren't aimed at your handicap level and I would strongly suggest something easier to hit.

Cobra F9 7.5 - Accra TZ5 55
    Callaway Rogue SZ 13.5 - Fubuki V 70
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18 - Diamana Thump 85
    Mizuno CLK 22* - Speeder 75HB
    New Level 1031 5-P - DG105 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth - DG105 Black Onyx
    Bettinardi BB0 "Gotta Sting" Proto 1 of 1 
    Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Newport
  • jplroperjplroper Members Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think you are hitting the ball to high/ballooning? You didn't say what you are hitting for a ball, but if it's a high spin ball maybe try using one thats lower spin before you change irons to fix a problem. Then if the ball makes a big change, you will have more irons to look at.

• nuttinbutapeanutnuttinbutapeanut Members Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

@pm4610 said:
    Any recommendations on a used 1-2 years old that is NOT low spin, high launch, Max distance?
    Thanks,
    Paul

May have to back more than 1-2 years unless you can play blades.....?

can not play blades. right, maybe 3-4 years?

• mwink822mwink822 Members Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ping i210 really sound like the ticket, however, you may be able to get along well enough with Mizuno JPX 900 or 919 Forged or the Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro. Barring any of those, Titleist AP1 or AP3 may be worth a look as well.

Titleist 917D3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125 MSI 80 TX
    Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
    4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
    4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
    White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
    Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
    Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

@phatchrisrules However, these really aren't aimed at your handicap level and I would strongly suggest something easier to hit.
    i believe my misses are my misses and ain't no club gonna save me from those. I have really good shots and then really bad shots. Cant' string the good shots together, but I can string the bad shots together just fine :-( I just can't bare to look at those super game improvement clubs chunky and clunky. I can't handle blades so some sort of compromise...even basic game improve would be okay. and of course I want graphite shafts.

@jplroper Do you think you are hitting the ball to high/ballooning? You didn't say what you are hitting for a ball, but if it's a high spin ball maybe try using one thats lower spin before you change irons to fix a problem. Then if the ball makes a big change, you will have more irons to look at.
    I play a spinner ball than I probably should. but I like spin, it gives my ball a high "traj", but what you suggested is worth a try.

• LaznastyLaznasty Valparaiso, IndianaMembers Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2019 4:01pm #15

Taylormade p750's.
    Mizuno 919 hot metal pro.
    Callaway x-forged or apex pro.
    ping i210 or i500
    Titleist AP2

Post edited by Laznasty on
    Ping G410+
    Taylormade M5 5wood
    Epon AF-903 20°
    Taylormade P750 (pw, 9i, 8i)
    Taylormade P770 (7i & 6i)
    Taylormade P790 (5i & 4i)
    EPON Tour Spin Wedge 50° 54° 58°
    Lamb Crafted Camden
  • jplroperjplroper Members Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭

@pm4610 said:
    @jplroper Do you think you are hitting the ball to high/ballooning? You didn't say what you are hitting for a ball, but if it's a high spin ball maybe try using one thats lower spin before you change irons to fix a problem. Then if the ball makes a big change, you will have more irons to look at.
    I play a spinner ball than I probably should. but I like spin, it gives my ball a high "traj", but what you suggested is worth a try.

I'm a bit confused, your looking for high spin and low launch? Then you say you are playing a ball that is relatively high spin? Personally I would go with an easy to hit iron, choose the amount of offset you want and sole thickness get an appropriate shaft and play a "cheap" golf ball that was lower spin. When a Pinnacle goes swimming its not as big a loss as a ProV1. 

• Nixhex524Nixhex524 ClubWRX Posts: 4,156 ClubWRX

Bridgestone J38/40 DPC

Taylormade M2 2017 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 6.0 76g
    Titleist TS2 15* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 70g
    Bridgestone J40 21* PX 6.0
    Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P X100 AMT
    Bridgestone J40 52/58
    Odyssey PT2 

• RJ_MJ_JJRJ_MJ_JJ Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited Aug 5, 2019 9:39pm #18

@Laznasty said:
    Taylormade p750's.
    ping i210 or i500
    Titleist AP2

I tried the i500s a few months ago. They ballooned and went nuclear (flew an extra 15-20 yards for seemingly no reason) a few times.The i210s are a little lower launch and more consistent on distance, IMO. AP2s are also a great option.

GHIN = ~5
    -WITB-
    DRIVER: Cobra F7+ 9.5 degrees w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5-75g
    DRIVING IRON: Mizuno FLI HI 2i w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1
    IRONS: Ping i210 Irons 3-P w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1, blue dot
    WEDGES: Vokey SM7 Wedges, 50, 54, 58 - w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+
    PUTTER: Ping Sigma G KUSHIN w/ lots of lead tape
    BALL: Bridgestone Tour B330
    GRIPS: Winn Dri Tac - MIDSIZE

• balls_deepballs_deep Members Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@RJ_MJ_JJ said:

@Laznasty said:
    Taylormade p750's.
    ping i210 or i500
    Titleist AP2

I tried the i500s a few months ago. They ballooned and went nuclear (flew an extra 15-20 yards for seemingly no reason) a few times.The i210s are a little lower launch and more consistent on distance, IMO. AP2s are also a great option.

This one is kind of a conundrum. If the guy can't break 100 I don't see AP2 doing anything good for him. My rec would be Ping G400. They go high and still spin a bit. My friend plays them and can hold greens no issue. Feel pretty good and the sole is cut away at the back so it has the mass to get the ball up but doesn't play silly wide.

Cobra F9 Speedback HZRDUS HC Black 62g
    Titleist 917F2 15.75°  HZRDUS HC Black 75g
    Titleist 816H1 20° Accra FX200H M4
    Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Project X LZ 6.0
    Titleist 716 CB 5i-PW Project X LZ 6.0
    Vokey 52f 56f 60d Project X LZ 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 350g 34.5"
    Pro V1

Currently - 6.9

• JDMRN81JDMRN81 PAMembers Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭

Maltby DBM's are what you're looking for. Very forgiving in a nice, slimer package. I'm a mid handicapper and I've played dozens of irons (from blades to SGI) over the past 3 years. I originally build a set of DBM's this winter as backups but I keep going back to them. Extremely underrated irons!

PXG 0811xf Gen 2 9* AD TP-6
    Ping G400 Stretch 3w AD IZ-7
    Maltby DBM 3-GW C-Taper Lite 
    Callaway MD4 Tactical 52/58* 
    Evnroll ER2 Black 34"
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes

@RJ_MJ_JJ conundrum, agreed. I just want a simple club with graphite shafts. No **** HOT, Scorchers, etc. Ping G400's still hold their value and are expensive for not being the current model. I once had a set Ping Raptures...when flushed 15-20 extra distance and when not flushed, way short. I have to have a club that can easily hold a green. Also, I don't play on the lushest of courses. I'm in Illinois and mostly hard greens, depends.

• ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@pm4610 said:
    Any recommendations on a used 1-2 years old that is NOT low spin, high launch, Max distance?...
    I've been playing with PING I3+ and time for a change regardless.

Not sure what you're looking for...

@pm4610 said:
    @RJ_MJ_JJ conundrum, agreed. I just want a simple club with graphite shafts. No **** HOT, Scorchers, etc. Ping G400's still hold their value and are expensive for not being the current model. ... I have to have a club that can easily hold a green. Also, I don't play on the lushest of courses. ...

Now I have a better idea. Your current irons, the Ping I3+ chart out in the Maltby grid as Game Improvement - not as friendly as the SGI Ping Eye2, but moderately helpful to golfer.

You want a club that will help you hold the greens. But, you evidently have trouble with your swing... "no golf DNA" as you said. The proper SGI club will help you hold the green - within reason. A strike at midball isn't going to land and bite.

Two things can help with stopping, descent and ball: the angle of descent - some high launch, low spin shafts such as NS Pro 8950 got a lot of their stop from coming down at a steep angle. Next is the ball: If you have a distance ball, you generate little backspin.

Main point: clubfitting is all about trade-offs. If you want to create spin on the ball, you need some centerish hits and a ball that's not a rock. And, have you been fitted for clubs? If the answer is no, you may have a bag of sticks that is totally out of whack with your natural swing tendencies.

As for iron model, check out BD's idea:

@balls_deep said:
    This one is kind of a conundrum. If the guy can't break 100 I don't see AP2 doing anything good for him. My rec would be Ping G400. They go high and still spin a bit. My friend plays them and can hold greens no issue.

In summary, get a fitting and get back to us with data info.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.

to all...fair enough! I learned quite a bit. Thanks!!

• ottojjazzottojjazz Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

+1 on the Maltbys. I just put a set of the PTM chrome forged heads on some KBS c-taper 120's that were given to me and they really play. Very forgiving with minimal offset and that great forged feel and look like players irons. You could buy one and give it a try. The heads are only $33 brand new and have a universal hosel. Put it together with your favorite shaft or have Golfworks do it for you with an inexpensive grip. Less than $60/per club. Cheers!

Here's what happened, a friend recommended the Big Bertha Fusion irons. I found a better than average set on eBay for $189 so I took the chance. They are truly awesome! I didn't think clubs would make this much of a difference. They have graphite shafts which I didn't realize would be that much of difference, but they are. I'm in the honeymoon period, so we shall see. I haven't hit the course yet, so not sure if my score will lower but it sure is sweet hitting them on the range. I've come to the realization that the Ping i3+'s I had were really difficult to hit for me anyway. Huge difference for me.

• CJPennyCJPenny Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Would second titleist AP1s or AP2s. Both are on the moderate spin side and are definitely not meant for the crazy distance some other irons go for. AP1s might make the most sense, though if you want a set you could grow into you could go for a combo set with long irons in the AP1 and short in the AP2.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 9°[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 915F 15°[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 816H1 19°[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon z765 4-PW[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Vokey SMCC 50°/55°/60°[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Odyssey ProType #2[/font]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file