2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

Pro V1 versus Pro V1x

Moonlightgrm ·  
MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Massachusetts 1003WRX Points: 172Handicap: 2 (index = 2.3)Members Posts: 1,003

Playing in a two-ball this weekend, there was a Titleist representative on the first tee giving away a 2-pack of Pro V1 or Pro V1x. I’ve played Pro V1 since it’s inception and like the way it performs for me. This guy starts describing the difference between the two balls as we are waiting for the first fairway to clear. I’m uncertain if he knew what he was talking about. He told us that the X was softer and spins more than the regular. What? He said the regular has a flatter ball flight and a firmer feel. I’ve hit the X and it feels firm to me. I suppose if the X spins more it would not have the flatter ball flight he claimed the regular has. What’s your experience with the regular Pro V1 and the Pro V1x? Incidentally, I took a 2-pack of the regular.

Posted:

Comments

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Iowa 19943WRX Points: 3,893ClubWRX Posts: 19,943

Somehow the two have gotten flipped by Titleist, IMO and makes no sense to me but I'm not the marketing department.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OH 213WRX Points: 151Handicap: 10Members Posts: 213

Yup, the X is harder, spins more and has a higher launch.

Posted:
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99  4580WRX Points: 518Members Posts: 4,580

Makes it difficult for the consumer. Is it the same with TP5 vs TP5x or do they have a different characteristic than Prov1(x)?

I like TP5x and Tour Bx. Firmer balls that spin less. A firmer ball that spins more confuses me.

Posted:
  • admorkadmork Orlando, Fl 82WRX Points: 112Handicap: +2Members Posts: 82

I believe the 2019 Pro VX spins more, flies higher and feels firmer than the 2019 Pro V.

Posted:
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CA 504WRX Points: 622Members Posts: 504

Confirming firmer, more spin from the V1x.

To be perfectly honest, I've played the V1x because I like the red number instead of black. (Yeah yeah, buncha weirdos us golfers) and never gave much thought to the actual difference. Then a while back, I booked a tee time on GolfNow for me and some buddies and one of them gave me a pack of V1s before the round in lieu of the buck or whatever GN charges for the booking fee. What can I say, Alex is a generous guy.

Anyway, he'd handed them to me on the first tee so I was like "Guess I'll just put these in play today!" Really felt like I lost some distance - and I was hitting the ball well that round - and the spin difference was extremely noticeable. Like, I'd confidently take the Pepsi Challenge on that one.

Posted:

Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist U500 3I
    Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-6
    Mizuno MP-20 MB 7-PW
    Miura 52°, 58° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Advertisement
  • mogc60mogc60  1016WRX Points: 480Members Posts: 1,016

^ im with him. The pro v just does not work for me and never has. The prov1x has always been pretty much perfect for my game including the red number. 😉

Posted:

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• playaplaya  8756WRX Points: 281Members Posts: 8,756

On -, @mogc60 said:

^ im with him. The pro v just does not work for me and never has. The prov1x has always been pretty much perfect for my game including the red number. 😉

I'm with ya. Ever since they came out the ProVx has been one of my favorite balls (but rarely play it due to cost and closeness of opposition balls) and regular ProV has just never really done it for me. Have to admit the red number is also a plus for me, I've never liked black numbers on balls.

Posted:
  • North ButteNorth Butte  11741WRX Points: 1,540Members Posts: 11,741

What you heard from the rep was correct for spin and trajectory. That’s what matters.

The thing about X being softer seems wrong but feel is highly subjective. He may have just personally felt the X was softer. That’s not a cut and dried thing like spin and flight.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • DiscoDinerDiscoDiner  129WRX Points: 30Handicap: 18.5Members Posts: 129

For those looking for some more info. - https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/02/26/know-the-differences-titleist-pro-v1-pro-v1x-golf-ball-equipment.html
    "So while the 2019 series of golf balls was made to be lower spinning, the Pro V1x still spins relatively more than its Pro V1 counterpart."

Posted:
  • Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, CO 80WRX Points: 33Members Posts: 80

I used to play the V1x, but have switched to the V1 due to the changes. I’ve been contemplating trying the AVX. Anyone have experience with it?

Posted:

Advertisement

Unaffected by wind, most people will see a bit more distance from their irons due to lower spin. I personally found it to have a really hot and boring flight off the driver which gave me a good bit more runout on landing.

But it does not hold greens as well as a Pro V1x for my approach shot. Pretty big difference for me. Also doesn't do the "low spinner" around the green but that's not a shot I really have.

After a year and a half I went back to Pro V1x. I'd rather give up that occasional big drive that lands hot and rolls a mile in exchange for more predictable stopping power with a 7-iron or 6-iron to a firm green. Also I've played the Pro V1x for so long it's sort of programmed in to my touch around the greens. Reverting back to it after a couple hundred AVX rounds was like getting back with an old friend.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • Hogan9Hogan9  63WRX Points: 44Handicap: 12Members Posts: 63

I was a Pro-V-1 player but have recently switched to the AVX. I'm approaching 70 years old and my swing speed is declining. I need more distance off the tee. I've tried some of the balls "recommended" for seniors (Cally Supersoft, Bridgestone B RX, etc). I just don't like how they perform around the green. The AVX doesn't check on pitches and chips like the Pro-V, but I've been able to adjust. Also, it appears to be more durable. I'm fairly straight on my tee shots. However, I do occasionally hit the cart path. Of course there is a scar on the AVX, but it's not bad enough to have to take the ball out of play. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

Posted:
  • Bama_RichBama_Rich  81WRX Points: 79Members Posts: 81

TXG did a comparison video of the ProV1 vs ProV1X. Their conclusion was that "X" did in fact have less spin and launched a bit higher. Their feedback was that the 2019 ProV1 was designed to have the same soft feel but provide a little more distance. Hence, the numbers are very similar. They are almost the same ball but provide a preference on the feel.

Posted:

TM 2017 M2 9.5 (set at 7.5 & 4* Open) - Project X HZRDS Black 75g
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Project X HZRDS Black 75g
    Callaway Apex UT - 18* KBS C-Taper 130g
    Srixon Z785 - 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130g PVD Finish
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 50/54/60 - KBS Tour V 120x
    Odyssey O-Works #2

Note that TXG did not test downrange peak trajectory, which is higher in ProV1x by design. Different dimple pattern.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

On -, @North Butte said:

Unaffected by wind, most people will see a bit more distance from their irons due to lower spin. I personally found it to have a really hot and boring flight off the driver which gave me a good bit more runout on landing.

But it does not hold greens as well as a Pro V1x for my approach shot. Pretty big difference for me. Also doesn't do the "low spinner" around the green but that's not a shot I really have.

After a year and a half I went back to Pro V1x. I'd rather give up that occasional big drive that lands hot and rolls a mile in exchange for more predictable stopping power with a 7-iron or 6-iron to a firm green. Also I've played the Pro V1x for so long it's sort of programmed in to my touch around the greens. Reverting back to it after a couple hundred AVX rounds was like getting back with an old friend.

I tried the AVX out the other day. I will say that you are spot on in all aspects of your review. I had similar experiences with ball in relation to the driver, irons, and around the green. I liked the feel of the ball, and I think it will perform very well in the wind. I'll need to learn the ball a little more for greenside work, as I wasn't able to get some pitches as close as I generally would with the V1.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Bama_Rich said:

TXG did a comparison video of the ProV1 vs ProV1X. Their conclusion was that "X" did in fact have less spin and launched a bit higher. Their feedback was that the 2019 ProV1 was designed to have the same soft feel but provide a little more distance. Hence, the numbers are very similar. They are almost the same ball but provide a preference on the feel.

Thanks for sharing this. After the changes a couple of years ago I thought that the V1 was now lower spinning than the X. I played the X for a long time before the changes, so maybe I'll have to give it another shot.

Posted:
  • BlingyBlingy  25WRX Points: 41Handicap: 2Members Posts: 25

I've used the Prov1x for several years and have tried the latest ProV1 and V1x due to the advice that the 2 balls have actually swapped to a degree. However, I still prefer the V1x. I usually test any of the new offerings from the major ball manufacturers but to date I haven't found anything that I get any noticeable overall performance benefits from (including the ProV1x's stable mate).

Posted:
  • gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, Florida 1335WRX Points: 153Handicap: 15Members Posts: 1,335

I keep going back to the Pro V1X. Always a comfort factor with that ball. I have tried to like the AVX a lot just can't get enough height with it and lose to much distance. For me the Pro V1X is my ball of choice.

Posted:
    Gil Leonard
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL!  1618WRX Points: 157Members Posts: 1,618

On -, @gpleonard said:

I keep going back to the Pro V1X. Always a comfort factor with that ball. I have tried to like the AVX a lot just can't get enough height with it and lose to much distance. For me the Pro V1X is my ball of choice.

AVX and Pro V1X are on complete opposite ends of spectrum.

Posted:
    8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • arafat03arafat03  2WRX Points: 6Members Posts: 2

One of the big differences between the Pro V1s is the three layer ... You will find that both the Pro V1 and the Pro V1x are in common use by professionals.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • texcromtexcrom Franklin, TN 3656WRX Points: 307ClubWRX Posts: 3,656

Seems like everyone understands the halls changed at some point, and that the ProV1 is the lower spin, softer feeling ball, while the ProV1X is the firmer higher spin ball.

What nobody has mentioned, although multiple people mentioned the color of the numbers, is that prior to the change, the ProV1 actually had the red numbers, and the ProV1X had black numbers.

just wish I could lock down the time frame on this, as I was shocked when my buddy who owned a golf shop told me of the change.

Posted:
    WITB
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist TS3 15 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist U500 3 iron HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 80g Stiff
    Titleist U500 4 iron HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 80g Stiff
    Titleist T100 4-PW AMT Tour White S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-10S
    Titleist Scotty Cameron T-22 Newport
    Titleist Pro V1X

Alternate Bag
    Taylor Made SIM 9.0 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff (ordered)
    Taylor Made 15 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Taylor Made P790 (2019) 4 - PW S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 48-10F, 54-10S
    Titleist Scotty Cameron T-22 Newport 2 

GO VOLS!
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 3116WRX Points: 517Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 3,116
    Posted:

Callaway Mavrik SZ 10.5° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 10.5° driver Diamana DF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Diamana BF 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Titleist Yellow Pro V1

• texcromtexcrom Franklin, TN 3656WRX Points: 307ClubWRX Posts: 3,656
    Posted:
    WITB
    Titleist TS3 10.5 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist TS3 15 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Titleist U500 3 iron HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 80g Stiff
    Titleist U500 4 iron HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 80g Stiff
    Titleist T100 4-PW AMT Tour White S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 52-12F, 56-10S, 60-10S
    Titleist Scotty Cameron T-22 Newport
    Titleist Pro V1X

Alternate Bag
    Taylor Made SIM 9.0 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff (ordered)
    Taylor Made 15 degree HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.0 70g Stiff
    Taylor Made P790 (2019) 4 - PW S-300
    Titleist Vokey SM7 48-10F, 54-10S
    Titleist Scotty Cameron T-22 Newport 2 

GO VOLS!
  • cristphotocristphoto  3586WRX Points: 262Members Posts: 3,586

Tell your friend he's wrong. ProV1 - black; Prov1x - red.

See attached photo of second version of Prov1 (about 2002).

Posted:
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 3116WRX Points: 517Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 3,116

Your buddy is completely wrong. Pro V1 has never been a red number. I think your buddy is maybe thinking this way because the playing characteristics of the balls switched a few years back but the colour of the number has always been black on the Pro V1 and red on the Pro V1x.

Posted:

Callaway Mavrik SZ 10.5° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 10.5° driver Diamana DF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Diamana BF 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Titleist Yellow Pro V1

Advertisement
  • nitramnitram WestOK, on the South Canadian Riviera  5457WRX Points: 236Handicap: -1.6Members Posts: 5,457

I remember the day the Pro V was introduced and the numbers were black. IIRC after about a year or so there were a couple of variants made in small batches and only accessible to pros wanting a firmer cover to mirror the Professional 100 and they were designated with a red number. Shortly thereafter and due to increasing demand for the firmer covered ball the X was introduced and has kept the red lettering ever since.

Take it for what it's worth to you as I'm getting older and half the time can't recall what I had for supper last night.

Posted:
    Epic Flash SZ 2D 9* MCA Diamana ZF 60
    Exotics CBX 119 13.5* & 18* Accra TourZ 382
    Exotics CBX 22* Fuji Speeder 904 HB
    Miura CB57 5-9 Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
    Callaway MD5 JAWS 46S, 50S, 54W, 58C  Mitsubishi MMT-125 TX
    Cameron 009 Prototype (A010656)
  • cristphotocristphoto  3586WRX Points: 262Members Posts: 3,586

As best I can recall here is my memory of the ProV1's history. The original ProV1 was very short lived as the USGA had issues with it (even though showing on their conforming ball list). The ball had different trajectory and spin characteristics depending if you teed it up with the side stamp north/south or east/west. Titleist quickly came up with a revised ball that removed the "seaming" characteristic as part of a compromise with the USGA. This allowed the original ball to be played without a recall and thus embarrassing Titleist. The side stamp was revised slightly. Titleist then came out with a modified version of the Prov1 called the ProV1 Star (ProV1* side stamp). It was designed to be slightly firmer and spin a bit less as requested by the tour pros. This ultimately led to the start of the ProV1X ball. Several generations later gets us to today. I played basically all the versions of the ProV1 since it replaced the Professional and the over the counter, general-public model always had a black number. This is not to say that some models on the approved list and only available to the pros may have had a red number. I've only seen black V's and red X's however.

Posted:
  • Hogan9Hogan9  63WRX Points: 44Handicap: 12Members Posts: 63

I just recently moved from the AVX to the Pro-V-1X. I like the distance of the AVX off the tee, but control around the green was an issue. I also have a couple of Pro-V-1s in my bag and occasionally play them. Aside from the color of the numbers, I've found the "X" flies higher off the driver and irons. The "V-1" seems to act a little better on chips and pitches for me. Other than that I haven't noticed a big difference. Having said that it's Winter here in Charlotte and the fairways are dormant and wet. It's obvious it will be easier to do an on course evaluation once Spring arrives. Also, I'm a senior with a relatively slow swing speed. I feel sure younger players who swing faster probably will see more of a difference between the "X" and the "V-1".

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.