Pro V1 versus Pro V1x

MoonlightgrmMoonlightgrm Members Posts: 920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playing in a two-ball this weekend, there was a Titleist representative on the first tee giving away a 2-pack of Pro V1 or Pro V1x. I’ve played Pro V1 since it’s inception and like the way it performs for me. This guy starts describing the difference between the two balls as we are waiting for the first fairway to clear. I’m uncertain if he knew what he was talking about. He told us that the X was softer and spins more than the regular. What? He said the regular has a flatter ball flight and a firmer feel. I’ve hit the X and it feels firm to me. I suppose if the X spins more it would not have the flatter ball flight he claimed the regular has. What’s your experience with the regular Pro V1 and the Pro V1x? Incidentally, I took a 2-pack of the regular.

Comments

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,283 ClubWRX

Somehow the two have gotten flipped by Titleist, IMO and makes no sense to me but I'm not the marketing department.

• Zengolfer36Zengolfer36 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 4, 2019 9:40pm #4

Yup, the X is harder, spins more and has a higher launch.

• LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Makes it difficult for the consumer. Is it the same with TP5 vs TP5x or do they have a different characteristic than Prov1(x)?

I like TP5x and Tour Bx. Firmer balls that spin less. A firmer ball that spins more confuses me.

• admorkadmork Orlando, FlMembers Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

I believe the 2019 Pro VX spins more, flies higher and feels firmer than the 2019 Pro V.

• aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 160 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 4, 2019 11:14pm #7

Confirming firmer, more spin from the V1x.

To be perfectly honest, I've played the V1x because I like the red number instead of black. (Yeah yeah, buncha weirdos us golfers) and never gave much thought to the actual difference. Then a while back, I booked a tee time on GolfNow for me and some buddies and one of them gave me a pack of V1s before the round in lieu of the buck or whatever GN charges for the booking fee. What can I say, Alex is a generous guy.

Anyway, he'd handed them to me on the first tee so I was like "Guess I'll just put these in play today!" Really felt like I lost some distance - and I was hitting the ball well that round - and the spin difference was extremely noticeable. Like, I'd confidently take the Pepsi Challenge on that one.

Titleist TS3 Driver 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 15°, 18°, 21°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 60°
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Titleist ProV1x

• mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭

^ im with him. The pro v just does not work for me and never has. The prov1x has always been pretty much perfect for my game including the red number. 😉

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• playaplaya Members Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mogc60 said:
    ^ im with him. The pro v just does not work for me and never has. The prov1x has always been pretty much perfect for my game including the red number. 😉

I'm with ya. Ever since they came out the ProVx has been one of my favorite balls (but rarely play it due to cost and closeness of opposition balls) and regular ProV has just never really done it for me. Have to admit the red number is also a plus for me, I've never liked black numbers on balls.

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

What you heard from the rep was correct for spin and trajectory. That’s what matters.

The thing about X being softer seems wrong but feel is highly subjective. He may have just personally felt the X was softer. That’s not a cut and dried thing like spin and flight.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

For those looking for some more info. - https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/02/26/know-the-differences-titleist-pro-v1-pro-v1x-golf-ball-equipment.html
    "So while the 2019 series of golf balls was made to be lower spinning, the Pro V1x still spins relatively more than its Pro V1 counterpart."

• Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, COMembers Posts: 52 ✭✭

I used to play the V1x, but have switched to the V1 due to the changes. I’ve been contemplating trying the AVX. Anyone have experience with it?

Unaffected by wind, most people will see a bit more distance from their irons due to lower spin. I personally found it to have a really hot and boring flight off the driver which gave me a good bit more runout on landing.

But it does not hold greens as well as a Pro V1x for my approach shot. Pretty big difference for me. Also doesn't do the "low spinner" around the green but that's not a shot I really have.

After a year and a half I went back to Pro V1x. I'd rather give up that occasional big drive that lands hot and rolls a mile in exchange for more predictable stopping power with a 7-iron or 6-iron to a firm green. Also I've played the Pro V1x for so long it's sort of programmed in to my touch around the greens. Reverting back to it after a couple hundred AVX rounds was like getting back with an old friend.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
  • Hogan9Hogan9 Members Posts: 57 ✭✭

I was a Pro-V-1 player but have recently switched to the AVX. I'm approaching 70 years old and my swing speed is declining. I need more distance off the tee. I've tried some of the balls "recommended" for seniors (Cally Supersoft, Bridgestone B RX, etc). I just don't like how they perform around the green. The AVX doesn't check on pitches and chips like the Pro-V, but I've been able to adjust. Also, it appears to be more durable. I'm fairly straight on my tee shots. However, I do occasionally hit the cart path. Of course there is a scar on the AVX, but it's not bad enough to have to take the ball out of play. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

• Bama_RichBama_Rich Members Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

TXG did a comparison video of the ProV1 vs ProV1X. Their conclusion was that "X" did in fact have less spin and launched a bit higher. Their feedback was that the 2019 ProV1 was designed to have the same soft feel but provide a little more distance. Hence, the numbers are very similar. They are almost the same ball but provide a preference on the feel.

TM 2017 M2 9.5 (set at 7.5 & 4* Open) - Project X HZRDS Black 75g
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Project X HZRDS Black 75g
    Callaway Apex UT - 18* KBS C-Taper 130g
    Srixon Z785 - 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130g PVD Finish
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 50/54/60 - KBS Tour V 120x
    Odyssey O-Works #2

Note that TXG did not test downrange peak trajectory, which is higher in ProV1x by design. Different dimple pattern.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.

@North Butte said:
    Unaffected by wind, most people will see a bit more distance from their irons due to lower spin. I personally found it to have a really hot and boring flight off the driver which gave me a good bit more runout on landing.

But it does not hold greens as well as a Pro V1x for my approach shot. Pretty big difference for me. Also doesn't do the "low spinner" around the green but that's not a shot I really have.

After a year and a half I went back to Pro V1x. I'd rather give up that occasional big drive that lands hot and rolls a mile in exchange for more predictable stopping power with a 7-iron or 6-iron to a firm green. Also I've played the Pro V1x for so long it's sort of programmed in to my touch around the greens. Reverting back to it after a couple hundred AVX rounds was like getting back with an old friend.

I tried the AVX out the other day. I will say that you are spot on in all aspects of your review. I had similar experiences with ball in relation to the driver, irons, and around the green. I liked the feel of the ball, and I think it will perform very well in the wind. I'll need to learn the ball a little more for greenside work, as I wasn't able to get some pitches as close as I generally would with the V1.

@Bama_Rich said:
    TXG did a comparison video of the ProV1 vs ProV1X. Their conclusion was that "X" did in fact have less spin and launched a bit higher. Their feedback was that the 2019 ProV1 was designed to have the same soft feel but provide a little more distance. Hence, the numbers are very similar. They are almost the same ball but provide a preference on the feel.

Thanks for sharing this. After the changes a couple of years ago I thought that the V1 was now lower spinning than the X. I played the X for a long time before the changes, so maybe I'll have to give it another shot.

• BlingyBlingy Members Posts: 23 ✭✭

I've used the Prov1x for several years and have tried the latest ProV1 and V1x due to the advice that the 2 balls have actually swapped to a degree. However, I still prefer the V1x. I usually test any of the new offerings from the major ball manufacturers but to date I haven't found anything that I get any noticeable overall performance benefits from (including the ProV1x's stable mate).

• gpleonardgpleonard New Smyrna Beach, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I keep going back to the Pro V1X. Always a comfort factor with that ball. I have tried to like the AVX a lot just can't get enough height with it and lose to much distance. For me the Pro V1X is my ball of choice.

Gil Leonard
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gpleonard said:
    I keep going back to the Pro V1X. Always a comfort factor with that ball. I have tried to like the AVX a lot just can't get enough height with it and lose to much distance. For me the Pro V1X is my ball of choice.

AVX and Pro V1X are on complete opposite ends of spectrum.

8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file