Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Ping B60 putter is it a good one?

HabrownleeHabrownlee HabrownleeMembers Posts: 58 ✭✭

I’ve played an old pal 5 putter for 25 years. I recently refound an old putter of my dads. It’s a Ping B60 from around 1992. I remember about when he got it from a salesman at work and he loved it. I took the putter to my nephew and had him mill groves in the face and I put an oversized grip on it I’m playing it tomorrow. Did I screw it up by milling the face. It seems softer. We have really quick greens. Hoping dads putter has a little more magic left. Lol

Comments

• mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The B60 is one of my all time favorites. I used one as a senior in high school and most of college golf. I’ve been tempted to get the new vault B60 but haven’t plunged yet. Unsure about the milling but curious to hear how it goes for you. 92...my senior year. That putter has some stories.

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• HabrownleeHabrownlee Habrownlee Members Posts: 58 ✭✭

I just played 9 the grooves make the ball roll sweet. I honestly don’t know if it’s an important improvement but it rolls now like it’s got a face insert. No skid. Lines up well too. Thinking about taking some fingernail polish and painting the outside lines like the callaway ball

• JAMH03JAMH03 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Habrownlee said:
    I’ve played an old pal 5 putter for 25 years. I recently refound an old putter of my dads. It’s a Ping B60 from around 1992. I remember about when he got it from a salesman at work and he loved it. I took the putter to my nephew and had him mill groves in the face and I put an oversized grip on it I’m playing it tomorrow. Did I screw it up by milling the face. It seems softer. We have really quick greens. Hoping dads putter has a little more magic left. Lol

I'd hazard to guess that dad's OG B60 with freshly milled face, grip you love and a somewhat light headweight for todays standards will be DRANO for you on fast greens. Let us know what you think after you play it a few times.

• RodrigoNicelyRodrigoNicely Members Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a Ping BENi b60 for years. One of my all time favorite putters. Great head shape

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Had one mid 1990s till 2014 so just bought one back this week myself.A Ping Classic.

2019 September nice bag

Titleist 909d2 9.5
    Tm M1 21 hybrid'16

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10
    Ping B60 
    DarkTanTitleistCap

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've been playing a G5i B60 putter since I got it new, must be 15 years ago. For me, I like the shape, I can line it up and hit the ball on line consistently. I can honestly say I've never really considered another putter, other than the newer B60 models with grooved faces. But why change when my current putter works well?

• Mike_CMike_C Members Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a B60 about the time they were introduced, 1980 IIRC, still a classic shape IMO. I putted with it through most of college and several years after. It stayed in my rotation up until about 2000 as my backup to an old Bullseye I pulled out of a lost club bin around 1983. I would come out to the course, if I wasn't feeling it with the Bullseye on the practice green, I switched to the B60. It is sitting about 5 feet from me as I type this.

None of the newer incarnations of it look as good to my eye as the original.

WITB
    2017 9.5 M2 Tour AD DI 7X
    Epic Flash SubZero 15* Tensei AV Blue 75X
    Big Bertha Alpha 815 Hybrid 18* Fujikura Speeder 865 S
    Srixon U85 23* Recoil F5
    Srixon Z585 5 iron Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon Z785 6-PW Recoil 95 F5
    Srixon 945 PW Recoil proto 95 F5
    Callaway MD 4 54/10 S Modus 3 115 W
    Ping Eye 2 SW 57.5 ZZ lite
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4,  or Spider X, or Cleveland BRZ 2
    Srixon Z Star or XV
  • BlkNGldBlkNGld Members Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There's nothing wrong with the design, but with generally faster green speeds heads have gone up in weight since then. If you pick up a modern B60 you'll likely notice this difference immediately just as you would with an old vs modern Anser.

• BrianM18BrianM18 Members Posts: 36 ✭✭

The original also had the hosel attached behind the face which i think made it feel a little better than the newer versions. Used the original all through high school and thought it was an excellent putter. Tried one of the newer models and thought it lost some of the feeling

• Smada962Smada962 Members Posts: 50 ✭✭

I've got an old B60 sitting in my office next to me at work right now. As with most putters that are lighter in weight I can lag it great but cannot make shorter putts with any consistency. I need a little more weight to keep my yips in check

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Did half hour practice today with the new 2 me B60 and Winn Grip. Great putting and easy too align. Will get some lead as its around 20 grams lite.

2019 September nice bag

Titleist 909d2 9.5
    Tm M1 21 hybrid'16

Ping B60 
    DarkTanTitleistCap

• Fairway14Fairway14 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭✭

@RogerinNewZealand said:
    Did half hour practice today with the new 2 me B60 and Winn Grip. Great putting and easy too align. Will get some lead as its around 20 grams lite.

If you putted well with it today why add lead tape ?
    Adding 20 grams to the head (or even 5 grams) will give the putter a completely different balance, swing, impact sound etc...

• wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE Members Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Habrownlee said:

Post a picture of the milled face, please.

To Fairway 14
    Some of us Love Lead Tape
    Most putters i have need to be 345gram head this is 325ish...more weight more feel

2019 September nice bag

Titleist 909d2 9.5
    Tm M1 21 hybrid'16

Ping B60 
    DarkTanTitleistCap

@RogerinNewZealand said:
    To Fairway 14
    Some of us Love Lead Tape
    Most putters i have need to be 345gram head this is 325ish...more weight more feel

My question is why (if you putted well) would you change the head weight of the putter ?
    Please let us know the before and after putting results.

• ketoketo Members Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

My Karsten B60 copper is so easy to line up and roll straight, and feels outstanding. I'm very upright when I putt, heel up a touch like Stricker. B60 is an upright putter for me, I can feel like the sole is much flatter to the ground/overall squarer setup, and I LOVE the super thin blade topline, thinnest one I've ever seen.

@keto said:
    My Karsten B60 copper is so easy to line up and roll straight, and feels outstanding. I'm very upright when I putt, heel up a touch like Stricker. B60 is an upright putter for me, I can feel like the sole is much flatter to the ground/overall squarer setup, and I LOVE the super thin blade topline, thinnest one I've ever seen.

Yes, great design. Curtis Strange won back to back US Opens swinging a B60 putter.

• gregh729gregh729 #TheWRX 2016 Members Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I thought Strange used a Zing2
    B60s are awesome. I used a stainless one for over 10 years. I also have a copper and black B60. I really wish they would have made a Redwood B60

• lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

NO PICS - NO PUTTER! :D

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... Members Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

B60 Scottsdale TR is the one the best putters ever. Regret selling mine.

PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights