2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Decided to try DeChambeaus single plane swing

SEP1006

I usually play 36 holes every Saturday and Sunday. Also go to the course on Thursday evenings and practice on the course hitting 2-3 balls a shot as the course is usually empty then. Handicap fluctuates between 7 - 10 and has for the last 6 months.

Anyway for whatever reason I read "Steal Bryson DeChambeau’s 5 swing secrets and find your perfect plane" and decided to go out last Thursday and play this way. I was amazed at how easy and simple this was, especially for the first time trying it. Decided WTH and to stick with it this weekend, this method is really simple and easy to repeat. I shot my usual scores with only swapping to this method a couple days before. Still hit a few bad shots but they were not as far off the fairways as my conventional swing.

I am definitely going to give this the full effort and commit to it, again I know I've said it multiple times but I was really shocked how simple and repeatable this swing is. I have Midsize plus 4 grips with 2 wraps of tape underneath but the clubs just aren't in my palm as much as I think they need to be. Ordered the JumboMax medium grips today and can't wait for them to get here. Really pumped about this right now and can't wait to try the bigger grips

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

> @SEP1006 said:

> I usually play 36 holes every Saturday and Sunday. Also go to the course on Thursday evenings and practice on the course hitting 2-3 balls a shot as the course is usually empty then. Handicap fluctuates between 7 - 10 and has for the last 6 months.

>

> Anyway for whatever reason I read "Steal Bryson DeChambeau’s 5 swing secrets and find your perfect plane" and decided to go out last Thursday and play this way. I was amazed at how easy and simple this was, especially for the first time trying it. Decided WTH and to stick with it this weekend, this method is really simple and easy to repeat. I shot my usual scores with only swapping to this method a couple days before. Still hit a few bad shots but they were not as far off the fairways as my conventional swing.

>

> I am definitely going to give this the full effort and commit to it, again I know I've said it multiple times but I was really shocked how simple and repeatable this swing is. I have Midsize plus 4 grips with 2 wraps of tape underneath but the clubs just aren't in my palm as much as I think they need to be. Ordered the JumboMax medium grips today and can't wait for them to get here. Really pumped about this right now and can't wait to try the bigger grips

The best of luck dude but in my opinion, being a copycat is the kiss of death golf wise. Your swing is as unique as the dimples on your scrotum. Every one of us has a unique swing DNA. I tinkered with the Moe Norman swing and with a Furyk like swing, some success, short term, Now I do my swing. God bless and good luck man!

Not to be a buzzkill, but if you’ve tried it for a couple days, it feels good, and you’re playing your normal golf, you haven’t actually changed anything. You’re probably just swinging the club with good rhythm.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @SEP1006 said:

> I usually play 36 holes every Saturday and Sunday. Also go to the course on Thursday evenings and practice on the course hitting 2-3 balls a shot as the course is usually empty then. Handicap fluctuates between 7 - 10 and has for the last 6 months.

>

> Anyway for whatever reason I read "Steal Bryson DeChambeau’s 5 swing secrets and find your perfect plane" and decided to go out last Thursday and play this way. I was amazed at how easy and simple this was, especially for the first time trying it. Decided WTH and to stick with it this weekend, this method is really simple and easy to repeat. I shot my usual scores with only swapping to this method a couple days before. Still hit a few bad shots but they were not as far off the fairways as my conventional swing.

>

> I am definitely going to give this the full effort and commit to it, again I know I've said it multiple times but I was really shocked how simple and repeatable this swing is. I have Midsize plus 4 grips with 2 wraps of tape underneath but the clubs just aren't in my palm as much as I think they need to be. Ordered the JumboMax medium grips today and can't wait for them to get here. Really pumped about this right now and can't wait to try the bigger grips.

If you really like this method, then check out Kirk Junge who teaches it (Dechambeau is actually a member of his website)

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> Not to be a buzzkill, but if you’ve tried it for a couple days, it feels good, and you’re playing your normal golf, you haven’t actually changed anything. You’re probably just swinging the club with good rhythm.

No problem and to be honest with you I thought about that as well. But I figured if I can adapt to this method this fast and still shoot my same scores then after playing / practicing it a while I should get better. I will commit to this for at least a few months and time will tell. May be a total failure and waste of time but honestly as simple as it is in theory I really don't see that happening.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

> @BigEx44 said:

> > @SEP1006 said:

> > I usually play 36 holes every Saturday and Sunday. Also go to the course on Thursday evenings and practice on the course hitting 2-3 balls a shot as the course is usually empty then. Handicap fluctuates between 7 - 10 and has for the last 6 months.

> >

> > Anyway for whatever reason I read "Steal Bryson DeChambeau’s 5 swing secrets and find your perfect plane" and decided to go out last Thursday and play this way. I was amazed at how easy and simple this was, especially for the first time trying it. Decided WTH and to stick with it this weekend, this method is really simple and easy to repeat. I shot my usual scores with only swapping to this method a couple days before. Still hit a few bad shots but they were not as far off the fairways as my conventional swing.

> >

> > I am definitely going to give this the full effort and commit to it, again I know I've said it multiple times but I was really shocked how simple and repeatable this swing is. I have Midsize plus 4 grips with 2 wraps of tape underneath but the clubs just aren't in my palm as much as I think they need to be. Ordered the JumboMax medium grips today and can't wait for them to get here. Really pumped about this right now and can't wait to try the bigger grips.

>

> If you really like this method, then check out Kirk Junge who teaches it (Dechambeau is actually a member of his website)

>

>

Thanks, I actually found that this weekend when I was looking for more information.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

Just an update for anyone interested I put on the Jumbomax medium sized grips and have played 2 rounds with them. These are so comfortable and make holding the club effortless. Also makes the Dechambeau swing method even easier and more repeatable. Actually have one of my weekend golf buddies trying this method as well.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

> @SEP1006 said:

> Just an update for anyone interested I put on the Jumbomax medium sized grips and have played 2 rounds with them. These are so comfortable and make holding the club effortless. Also makes the Dechambeau swing method even easier and more repeatable. Actually have one of my weekend golf buddies trying this method as well.

It's worth noting that Dechambeau's version of the swing calls for the club to be in the palm of the _lead_ hand. Junge advocates the same thing. This is a lot easier and feels more natural with big Jumbomax grips, but you pay a price in swing weight. Those grips are heavy.

Yes Sir in the palm and definitely is easier. As far as swing-weight I don't know too much about that as I have read both sides. Some say it affects it greatly and others say not so much because it's at the hinge point. Either way I don't care because it hasn't affected my swing, yardages or dispersion. Just a really easy repeatable method.

In reading some of Dechambeau's theory's on the grips it makes sense. In no other sport where the "tool" is in the hand ( ping pong, tennis, raquetball, baseball, softball, hockey, La Crosse and on ) is the grip as small as it is in golf.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

> @MountainGoat said:

> > @SEP1006 said:

> > Just an update for anyone interested I put on the Jumbomax medium sized grips and have played 2 rounds with them. These are so comfortable and make holding the club effortless. Also makes the Dechambeau swing method even easier and more repeatable. Actually have one of my weekend golf buddies trying this method as well.

> It's worth noting that Dechambeau's version of the swing calls for the club to be in the palm of the _lead_ hand. Junge advocates the same thing. This is a lot easier and feels more natural with big Jumbomax grips, but you pay a price in swing weight. Those grips are heavy.

Jumbomax just came out with "Ultralight Grips". They are the same size as other Jumbomax grips, but weigh 50 grams--the weight of a standard grip.

> @MountainGoat said:

> It's worth noting that Dechambeau's version of the swing calls for the club to be in the palm of the _lead_ hand. Junge advocates the same thing. This is a lot easier and feels more natural with big Jumbomax grips, but you pay a price in swing weight. Those grips are heavy.

Are you quite sure about Junge recommending that the club be in the palm of the lead hand? I could have _sworn_ he emphasized it being in the palm of the trail hand. Perhaps both, but his aim in this (which you probably know, just restating) is to prevent the player from trying to manipulate the face.

Anyhoo, I like the idea of this swing but Junge's method just doesn't seem to click with me, which puts it in with all the rest. :(

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

> @nlk10010 said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

>

> > It's worth noting that Dechambeau's version of the swing calls for the club to be in the palm of the _lead_ hand. Junge advocates the same thing. This is a lot easier and feels more natural with big Jumbomax grips, but you pay a price in swing weight. Those grips are heavy.

>

> Are you quite sure about Junge recommending that the club be in the palm of the lead hand? I could have _sworn_ he emphasized it being in the palm of the trail hand. Perhaps both, but his aim in this (which you probably know, just restating) is to prevent the player from trying to manipulate the face.

>

> Anyhoo, I like the idea of this swing but Junge's method just doesn't seem to click with me, which puts it in with all the rest. :(

>

That was my impression, but I've never taken his training course. Dechambeau for sure insists that the club be in the palm of the lead hand. It's one of his fundaments. With a large grip, it's a lot like holding a tennis racket.

I play my best golf with the club in the palm of the hand. My thought process, aside from comfort, is the club is more upright. This in turn forces me to stand taller and resist from pulling up on impact at all. It's allowed me to really go after the ball and make great contact. It's also easier to start the club on one plane and return it in the same fashion (the DeChambeau theory). No manipulation. I bought some JumboMax grips. I already have them on a couple of clubs and enjoy them. I just have to put them on the rest. They feel soft but are pretty tacky.

> @alfriday said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > > @SEP1006 said:

> > > Just an update for anyone interested I put on the Jumbomax medium sized grips and have played 2 rounds with them. These are so comfortable and make holding the club effortless. Also makes the Dechambeau swing method even easier and more repeatable. Actually have one of my weekend golf buddies trying this method as well.

> > It's worth noting that Dechambeau's version of the swing calls for the club to be in the palm of the _lead_ hand. Junge advocates the same thing. This is a lot easier and feels more natural with big Jumbomax grips, but you pay a price in swing weight. Those grips are heavy.

>

>

> Jumbomax just came out with "Ultralight Grips". They are the same size as other Jumbomax grips, but weigh 50 grams--the weight of a standard grip.

I did see that but decided to try this route first. The only part of this "change" for me that I don't like is that I have always played some type of cord grip, so I will have to and will get adjusted to that.

But I will say this again:

"In reading some of Dechambeau's theory's on the grips it makes sense. In no other sport where the "tool" is in the hand ( ping pong, tennis, raquetball, baseball, softball, hockey, La Crosse and on ) is the grip as small as it is in golf.

Makes perfect sense!

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

This swing method has me convinced. Specifically, Kirk Junges setup 4 impact. Yesterday I had my 2nd lesson with Tony Griffin in central NC, he is a certified instructor for Kirk Junge. It's simple, no doubt about it.

Adding the jumbomax grips after my first lesson helped tremendously. I've got some work to do, but the benefits were nearly instantaneous. I'm very glad I ran across the single plane swing method of Kirk Junge. Lots of videos on his YouTube channel, but if you want the real info you have to join his website, which has many in depth videos on how to employ his methods.

Kirk Junge and Tony, do 1:1 instruction and 3 day golf schools in Florida, Ohio, and NC. I suspect most folks just learn it from his website. One feature, you can send Kirk video often as you like and he will respond giving you his input.

When you say "Adding the jumbomax grips after my first lesson helped tremendously. I've got some work to do, but the benefits were nearly instantaneous"

You are so right and would recommend this to anyone no matter your handicap!!

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

> @danattherock said:

> This swing method has me convinced. Specifically, Kirk Junges setup 4 impact. Yesterday I had my 2nd lesson with Tony Griffin in central NC, he is a certified instructor for Kirk Junge. It's simple, no doubt about it.

>

> Adding the jumbomax grips after my first lesson helped tremendously. I've got some work to do, but the benefits were nearly instantaneous. I'm very glad I ran across the single plane swing method of Kirk Junge. Lots of videos on his YouTube channel, but if you want the real info you have to join his website, which has many in depth videos on how to employ his methods.

>

> Kirk Junge and Tony, do 1:1 instruction and 3 day golf schools in Florida, Ohio, and NC. I suspect most folks just learn it from his website. One feature, you can send Kirk video often as you like and he will respond giving you his input.

I thought you were a Ballard guy?

Love Jimmy Ballard, everything about his method, got into 80's regularly for first time and broke 80 once. I had shot in low/mid 90's prior. But got in bad car crash soon after, away from golf (and here) last 6-7 years for most part.

Several surgeries, titanium rods in back, and more. I assumed I was done with golf, sadly, at 40 years old. But the single plane swing, along with club changes, and reduced swing I'm back at it and really having fun. I'm 6'6" 350 lbs, clubs were always 1.25" over and 2 degrees up prior to injury.

Now they are 2" over, regular flex rather than stiff, and have jumbomax grips. Putters are now at 37" so I can practice with less back pain. Hitting soft old man type balls, laddie, noodle, etc.. You do what you have to do to play I guess, lol. All jokes aside, single plane swing will be my savior. Truly.

Dan

I'm definitely seeing a lot more of the "Bryson" swing out there recently. Can't say it's been an improvement.

TM 2017 M2 9.5 (set at 7.5 & 4* Open) - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Apex UT - 18* KBS C-Taper 130g Srixon Z785 - 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130g PVD Finish Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 50/54/60 - KBS Tour V 120x Odyssey O-Works #2

> @Bama_Rich said:

> I'm definitely seeing a lot more of the "Bryson" swing out there recently. Can't say it's been an improvement.

It's definitely been an improvement for me. Will be little by little as I was already a 8 hcp when I made the change a couple weeks ago. But making a big swing change and still maintaining my normal scores is very promising to say the least.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

Just an update for anyone interested. I've probably played now apprx 12 rounds of golf with the DeChambeau method and medium size Jumbomax grips. Also watched several of the Kirk Junge videos as well. I have yet to shoot over 81 even with some bad chipping / putting ( punched greens ) days. This is so simple and repeatable and I have never been so confident in my swing.

I've been shooting steadily around 76 - 78 with a couple of 80's and an 81 thrown in there. With my conventional swing / grips I would steadily shoot 78 - 82 with an occasional 85 or 86.

I know I keep harping on this but if you are struggling for any reason give it a try. I can't see how it wouldn't help you.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

It's was weird for me because I picked up 10 yards on my irons but my drives are for the most part the same distance. Maybe 10% of the time they are longer than my conventional swing. But even if I had lost 10 yards I'd be happy because I'm so consistent now.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

> @SEP1006 said:

> Just an update for anyone interested. I've probably played now apprx 12 rounds of golf with the DeChambeau method and medium size Jumbomax grips. Also watched several of the Kirk Junge videos as well. I have yet to shoot over 81 even with some bad chipping / putting ( punched greens ) days. This is so simple and repeatable and I have never been so confident in my swing.

>

> I've been shooting steadily around 76 - 78 with a couple of 80's and an 81 thrown in there. With my conventional swing / grips I would steadily shoot 78 - 82 with an occasional 85 or 86.

>

> I know I keep harping on this but if you are struggling for any reason give it a try. I can't see how it wouldn't help you.

If I may ask, is there any one aspect of this type of swing that makes it easier to implement? Is it the grip, the setup, the idea of a non-rotational face (i.e. single-plane), the fact that it is body-driven? I understand that everything takes work but if it's a simpler swing that lets you trade distance for better contact, or consistency, I'm willing to try. I've already fooled around with Kirk Junge's videos but find the body-driven nature an obstacle, as I have an arthritic back and I tend to stand up and pull away as I rotate. But if the consensus is that it's "easier on the back" then I can keep trying.

Of course, you may feel there isn't any one thing that stands out, which I can certainly understand. I'd just appreciate your insights.

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

> @nlk10010 said:

> > @SEP1006 said:

> > Just an update for anyone interested. I've probably played now apprx 12 rounds of golf with the DeChambeau method and medium size Jumbomax grips. Also watched several of the Kirk Junge videos as well. I have yet to shoot over 81 even with some bad chipping / putting ( punched greens ) days. This is so simple and repeatable and I have never been so confident in my swing.

> >

> > I've been shooting steadily around 76 - 78 with a couple of 80's and an 81 thrown in there. With my conventional swing / grips I would steadily shoot 78 - 82 with an occasional 85 or 86.

> >

> > I know I keep harping on this but if you are struggling for any reason give it a try. I can't see how it wouldn't help you.

>

> If I may ask, is there any one aspect of this type of swing that makes it easier to implement? Is it the grip, the setup, the idea of a non-rotational face (i.e. single-plane), the fact that it is body-driven? I understand that everything takes work but if it's a simpler swing that lets you trade distance for better contact, or consistency, I'm willing to try. I've already fooled around with Kirk Junge's videos but find the body-driven nature an obstacle, as I have an arthritic back and I tend to stand up and pull away as I rotate. But if the consensus is that it's "easier on the back" then I can keep trying.

>

> Of course, you may feel there isn't any one thing that stands out, which I can certainly understand. I'd just appreciate your insights.

Keep in mind I am more with the DeChambeau swing method than Kirk Junges. I do use Kirk's set up though. Too me everything about it is easier. No unnecessary movements with the single-plane takeaway and follow through. Love having the grip in the palm of the hand as I feel like it lets me control the club face better and much more accurate. As far as distance I haven't given up any, actually picked up 10 yards on my irons.

Just for reference I am 6'-1" athletically built ( work out 6 days a week ) and 205 lbs. So copying Bryson's swing is easy for me as he is the same height \ weight.

Just watch everything you can on DeChambeau and his swing in slow motion. Also on You Tube there are multiple breakdowns with multiple instructors breaking down DeChambeaus swing. Each time I watch them I pick up something.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

Oh, OK, thanks, I didn't catch the (to me) subtle distinction you made between DeChambeau and Junge. To be fair, I've made controlling the face a big part of my "homemade" swing, it's easy to see the difference in contact when the face is kept square to the path as opposed to "rolling" the release, which requires exquisite timing. Sort of the difference between a Hardy one-plane and two-plane swing. Note I'm not saying the swing HAS to be done this way, just that, for me, timing the clubface is very difficult.

I'll follow your advice.

> @nlk10010 said:

> Oh, OK, thanks, I didn't catch the (to me) subtle distinction you made between DeChambeau and Junge. To be fair, I've made controlling the face a big part of my "homemade" swing, it's easy to see the difference in contact when the face is kept square to the path as opposed to "rolling" the release, which requires exquisite timing. Sort of the difference between a Hardy one-plane and two-plane swing. Note I'm not saying the swing HAS to be done this way, just that, for me, timing the clubface is very difficult.

>

> I'll follow your advice.

Just an FYI, but no one keeps the face square to the path through the swing. A myth.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

> @glk said:

> > @nlk10010 said:

> > Oh, OK, thanks, I didn't catch the (to me) subtle distinction you made between DeChambeau and Junge. To be fair, I've made controlling the face a big part of my "homemade" swing, it's easy to see the difference in contact when the face is kept square to the path as opposed to "rolling" the release, which requires exquisite timing. Sort of the difference between a Hardy one-plane and two-plane swing. Note I'm not saying the swing HAS to be done this way, just that, for me, timing the clubface is very difficult.

> >

> > I'll follow your advice.

> Just an FYI, but no one keeps the face square to the path through the swing. A myth.

>

Iron Byron? :)

Well, thanks for enlightening me (really, not being snide) as I haven't seen any experiments showing this one way or the other. I'll remember it.

Square to the path _is_ something of a feel, of course, really it's about trying to manipulate the face as little as possible, reducing the possibility of a mishit. All that really matters, though, is if, on the downswing, the club head is square to the path in a "neighborhood" (oh, I love that word) of the ball at some point before impact.

Two videos on the issues

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Don't know about square to square or any other swing myth. I just think DeChambeau took out all the unnecessary movements in the swing and made it very easy to repeat.

• Like 1

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0