Partial Scholarships and other issues that college players face

13»

Comments

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@CTgolf said:
    Great party school

Between golf and good times, a great way to not get a solid education

That could be any university across the country.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@CTgolf said:
    Great party school

Do you really need college to get an education? Less than 20% of the job market right now needs and individual to have a four year college degree. It is paying money to get a solid foundation of contacts. A college Education is over rated. My degree was in Physical and Mathematics Education. After teaching for 10 years, I now spend my days running a very successful business for my father in law. My father in law's major was Recreation and he runs a business. Other than business/finance or becoming an attorney, no one really needs a college education. Not many people even go into education any more. Public school systems are now filled with the scraps from people that couldn't make it in the private sector. Sure, there are some good teachers out there, but not many because people aren't becoming educators anymore. While I am on my rant, college professors suck too for the most part.

• CTgolfCTgolf Members Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭

Very true

Kids could also take the Abe Lincoln approach to education - don't even need to attend college in the first place.

I know ppl who went to ASU (not golfers) and they said it was a party school, and that they didn't need to attend class or study much to get by. I've never heard the same about any of the universities known for academic rigor.

All of this is only relevant if you think college is useful for receiving an education.

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@CTgolf said:
    Very true

Kids could also take the Abe Lincoln approach to education - don't even need to attend college in the first place.

I know ppl who went to ASU (not golfers) and they said it was a party school, and that they didn't need to attend class or study much to get by. I've never heard the same about any of the universities known for academic rigor.

All of this is only relevant if you think college is useful for receiving an education.

UCSB - big time party school with six Nobel Laureates on staff and an extremely rigorous sciences program with tons of other academic accolades.

@CTgolf said:
    Very true

Academic Rigor is code word for being indoctrinated into the liberal world. A lot of brainwashing goes on in colleges that are supposedly known for academics.

@heavy_hitter said:

@CTgolf said:
    Very true

Academic Rigor is code word for being indoctrinated into the liberal world. A lot of brainwashing goes on in colleges that are supposedly known for academics.

It depends on what you study. If you major in humanities or social sciences, perhaps. Not too much liberal indoctrination going on in hard sciences, math, finance/economics, etc.

Going to a campus and being exposed to many different opinions (as well as debating those with whom you disagree) is an integral part of the college experience. Hopefully the student's foundational upbringing (by parents) will have prepared them to not become brainwashed.

@leezer99 said:

@CTgolf said:
    Very true

UCSB - big time party school with six Nobel Laureates on staff and an extremely rigorous sciences program with tons of other academic accolades.

Didn't make your list though.

UCSB is probably between #4 and #6 in terms of desirability among the UC schools. Subjective of course, but definitely not above UCB, UCLA or UCSD.

@CTgolf said:

@leezer99 said:

@CTgolf said:
    Very true

UCSB is probably between #4 and #6 in terms of desirability among the UC schools. Subjective of course, but definitely not above UCB, UCLA or UCSD.

For golf yes. For a good time it's numero uno.

@leezer99 said:

@CTgolf said:

@leezer99 said:

@CTgolf said:
    Very true

For golf yes. For a good time it's numero uno.

Oh I was referring to selectivity/academics. College and all - my bad.

• GolfSRQGolfSRQ Members Posts: 65 ✭✭

@heavy_hitter said:

@CTgolf said:
    Very true

This ^^^

• FSUGolfdogFSUGolfdog Members Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

Just to share some info about my son. This year he will be playing for a top15 DII school, he received with athletic and academic scholarships enough to pay in-state tuition. Room and board is what is left. He played 2 years at a local JC who happens to be one of the best in the state. He never played in an AJGA event, just some medium sized junior tours and some decent amateur events.

• dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@FSUGolfdog said:
    Just to share some info about my son. This year he will be playing for a top15 DII school, he received with athletic and academic scholarships enough to pay in-state tuition. Room and board is what is left. He played 2 years at a local JC who happens to be one of the best in the state. He never played in an AJGA event, just some medium sized junior tours and some decent amateur events.

That is a really smart way to get the most bang for your buck!

USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,063 ClubWRX

@FSUGolfdog said:

Awesome. Best of luck to your son.

• yellowlover519yellowlover519 Members Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 16, 2019 12:52pm #75

@heavy_hitter said:

@CTgolf said:
    Great party school

Do you really need college to get an education? Less than 20% of the job market right now needs and individual to have a four year college degree. It is paying money to get a solid foundation of contacts. A college Education is over rated. My degree was in Physical and Mathematics Education. After teaching for 10 years, I now spend my days running a very successful business for my father in law. My father in law's major was Recreation and he runs a business. Other than business/finance or becoming an attorney, no one really needs a college education. Not many people even go into education any more. Public school systems are now filled with the scraps from people that couldn't make it in the private sector. Sure, there are some good teachers out there, but not many because people aren't becoming educators anymore. While I am on my rant, college professors suck too for the most part.

Is this stat correct? Less than 20% of the job market requires a 4-year college degree?

• JBirdUtJBirdUt Members Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭

Hooray! I’m a scrap who couldn’t make it in the real world!

edited Aug 16, 2019 1:27pm #77

@yellowlover519 said:

@heavy_hitter said:

@CTgolf said:
    Great party school

Is this stat correct? Less than 20% of the job market requires a 4-year college degree?

I don't know. It is a number that I have heard thrown around. According to Georgetown U it is 35%. When you start looking at the stats, most people with a college degree don't even work in the field they earned their degree for. A lot of jobs require some type of post secondary education, but not 4 year degrees.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/31/the-future-of-work-wont-be-about-degrees-it-will-be-about-skills.html

https://cew.georgetown.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Recovery2020.ES_.Web_.pdf

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file