2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Z Forged. I'm in love.

barony19

Have now had these for a month or so and can't say enough about how much I love the Z Forged irons.

Have bounced around blades vs cavities over the years, (coming from Srixon 745's this time, which I rate highly) and I've come to the following conclusion: With blades the really bad shots are awful, yes, but the bad shots don't seem that much worse, and the good shots always seem way better.

When I bought them, I had the lofts and lies checked and set to factory standard on loft and half degree flat on lie (no manufacturer ever has perfect tolerances on lofts/lies in my experience). After playing with them for a month, I just strengthened the lofts by a degree to help hit a slightly different launch/carry window. Played twice since and this change seems to be perfect.

Played last night and it was one of those terribly rare days where every shot just seemed easy. No issues holding greens with the stronger lofts, very consistent carry distances and easy to flight low and high. Clearly they're still blades and will punish you if you're hitting all over the face, but definitely these are the friendliest blades I've ever used, and I've used a few.

As an FYI, during my fitting I struggled for consistency with the Blueprints, Callaway MB's, and the mp18's, even though I found all three equally stunning to look at. And the Apex Pro's, which I'd convinced myself prior were going to be 'the one,' had too many outlier shots where the ball inexplicably jumped an extra 8-10 yards, even though the strike data looked almost the same. All in all, I'm very happy that on a whim, because I liked my previous Srixon irons so much, I asked to try the Z Forged.

Srixon have always made a very easy to hit blade, I haven't hit the Z-Forged yet but the 945 and 965 were awesome irons with great feel. I can hopefully test them sometime soon maybe up against the Apex MB and Blueprints which are fighting it out to make it into my bag

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

> @barony19 said:

> Have now had these for a month or so and can't say enough about how much I love the Z Forged irons.

>

> Have bounced around blades vs cavities over the years, (coming from Srixon 745's this time, which I rate highly) and I've come to the following conclusion: With blades the really bad shots are awful, yes, but the bad shots don't seem that much worse, and the good shots always seem way better.

>

> When I bought them, I had the lofts and lies checked and set to factory standard on loft and half degree flat on lie (no manufacturer ever has perfect tolerances on lofts/lies in my experience). After playing with them for a month, I just strengthened the lofts by a degree to help hit a slightly different launch/carry window. Played twice since and this change seems to be perfect.

>

> Played last night and it was one of those terribly rare days where every shot just seemed easy. No issues holding greens with the stronger lofts, very consistent carry distances and easy to flight low and high. Clearly they're still blades and will punish you if you're hitting all over the face, but definitely these are the friendliest blades I've ever used, and I've used a few.

>

> As an FYI, during my fitting I struggled for consistency with the Blueprints, Callaway MB's, and the mp18's, even though I found all three equally stunning to look at. And the Apex Pro's, which I'd convinced myself prior were going to be 'the one,' had too many outlier shots where the ball inexplicably jumped an extra 8-10 yards, even though the strike data looked almost the same. All in all, I'm very happy that on a whim, because I liked my previous Srixon irons so much, I asked to try the Z Forged.

Interesting you found the Apex MBs less forgiving as they have quite a reputation for being easy to hit on here. The Z Forged are a gorgeous iron. I'm keen to try a set of Apex up against my MP5 (which I love). I have not had a flier yet with my blades and that is a game changer for me. If you can find middle(ish) most of the time and have some speed I don't there there is a better choice than blades.

• Like 1

I've had them for 5 months and love them. Comboed them (5-P) with Z-785 3&4i and it's perfect for me. I couldn't say enough great things about these irons and how they perform for me, my iron game has never been this good and consistent.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

I played them for much of this year and they are one of my favorites for sure. I ended up getting into a little slump with my irons game and went back to my all time favorite. It did get in my head a little that most of the guys on TV were using the Z7xx series. I grabbed a set of Z765 to try and have to admit they don't give up anything to the Z Forged except for looks IMO. Both are great unless you are a low spin player.

My all time favorite list (and I have tried too many):

1. P770

2. Z Forged

3. Z945

4. Z765

5. Tommy Armour 845's (first club that I could hit 2 shots in a row that resembled each other)

I wish I could hear a conversation why so many top Srixon players play the 7 series vs the 9. The 9 series is sure more forgiving than the P730 and Titleist MB, etc. IMO.

The 9 series and the 7 series seem to flight much the same, and size and offset would not be the reason?

Anyway, Z Forged is solid and beautiful, and has a great finish to go along with wonderful performance for sure!

Hit them well!

• Like 2

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I got fitted for my first new set of irons this year, decided on split set of z785 3-6 and z-forged 7-pw. Took me a few rounds to get used to them coming from mp-14s, but they are proving to be very good performing indeed. The v-soles were a bit jarring to the eyes, but they seem to be working good enough for me.

I'm loving my Z785s. Would love to see some pics of the blades!

• Like 1

TM 2017 M2 9.5 (set at 7.5 & 4* Open) - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* - Project X HZRDS Black 75g Callaway Apex UT - 18* KBS C-Taper 130g Srixon Z785 - 4-PW - KBS $-Taper 130g PVD Finish Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 50/54/60 - KBS Tour V 120x Odyssey O-Works #2

> @rxk9fan said:

> I played them for much of this year and they are one of my favorites for sure. I ended up getting into a little slump with my irons game and went back to my all time favorite. It did get in my head a little that most of the guys on TV were using the Z7xx series. I grabbed a set of Z765 to try and have to admit they don't give up anything to the Z Forged except for looks IMO. Both are great unless you are a low spin player.

> My all time favorite list (and I have tried too many):

> 1. P770

> 2. Z Forged

> 3. Z945

> 4. Z765

> 5. Tommy Armour 845's (first club that I could hit 2 shots in a row that resembled each other)

>

> I wish I could hear a conversation why so many top Srixon players play the 7 series vs the 9. The 9 series is sure more forgiving than the P730 and Titleist MB, etc. IMO.

> The 9 series and the 7 series seem to flight much the same, and size and offset would not be the reason?

> Anyway, Z Forged is solid and beautiful, and has a great finish to go along with wonderful performance for sure!

> Hit them well!

My thinking is because Tour Pros can't give up anything at all. They have millions of dollars and their livelihoods on the line. We might sit here and say "blade mishits aren't that much worse" and be okay with that, but a Pro can't sacrifice that. A 2y difference on average on a less-than-perfect strike is 6ft farther from the pin every time. That distance is going to mean less made putts over time which is less money made over the year.

If you told a Pro that their mishits with a blade could cost them $100,000 in season earnings they would never, ever, ever take that gamble. There are certainly other Pros that either A) are better ballstrikers and don't see that drop off, or B) take that gamble because they love blades.

• Like 1

Srixon irons are some of the best in the industry both in performance and quality control. I'm still on the 745's, just love them.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @tgoodspe1991 said:

> > @rxk9fan said:

> > I played them for much of this year and they are one of my favorites for sure. I ended up getting into a little slump with my irons game and went back to my all time favorite. It did get in my head a little that most of the guys on TV were using the Z7xx series. I grabbed a set of Z765 to try and have to admit they don't give up anything to the Z Forged except for looks IMO. Both are great unless you are a low spin player.

> > My all time favorite list (and I have tried too many):

> > 1. P770

> > 2. Z Forged

> > 3. Z945

> > 4. Z765

> > 5. Tommy Armour 845's (first club that I could hit 2 shots in a row that resembled each other)

> >

> > I wish I could hear a conversation why so many top Srixon players play the 7 series vs the 9. The 9 series is sure more forgiving than the P730 and Titleist MB, etc. IMO.

> > The 9 series and the 7 series seem to flight much the same, and size and offset would not be the reason?

> > Anyway, Z Forged is solid and beautiful, and has a great finish to go along with wonderful performance for sure!

> > Hit them well!

>

> My thinking is because Tour Pros can't give up anything at all. They have millions of dollars and their livelihoods on the line. We might sit here and say "blade mishits aren't that much worse" and be okay with that, but a Pro can't sacrifice that. A 2y difference on average on a less-than-perfect strike is 6ft farther from the pin every time. That distance is going to mean less made putts over time which is less money made over the year.

>

> If you told a Pro that their mishits with a blade could cost them $100,000 in season earnings they would never, ever, ever take that gamble. There are certainly other Pros that either A) are better ballstrikers and don't see that drop off, or B) take that gamble because they love blades.

You're not accounting for the dispersion difference between the two classes of iron heads, illustrated by the old Terry Koehler piece about robot testing iron designs, during his Hogan days. You could see a little more noise in average proximity using a CB, according to the results of that testing.

Personally, I think for most pros, CB vs blade is more about chasing launch conditions, combined with what they grew up playing. I really don't think contact quality matters anywhere near as much as some suggest in this discussion. Ernie Els didn't seem to have much trouble switching away from CBs, winning a Claret Jug after. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I finally got a chance to hit the Z785 and Z Forged yesterday. To be honest they felt the same, flew the same and the Z Forged looked slightly thinner top line. I was using the 6i in both with the same shaft. If you grade yourself a 7.5-8/10 iron player, you could probably hit these 6-PW with no issues. If I were in a market for new irons, the Srixons are my top pick.

• Like 1

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first taste of the Z Forged earlier and by god do they feel absolutely amazing!

I tested them alongside my Titleist MB’s and whilst I have been super happy with their performance and how I hit them

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Went with Ping i210s first and had to send them back via playability guarantee. Ended up going to a srixon fitting day and the z forged had just unbelievable feel and surprising forgiveness. Had the Z forged 3-pw for about 2 months now and can’t say enough about them. Surprised they haven’t gained more traction, and got more air time on YouTube. They put those new hideous Titleist Irons to shame! The new cb/mb are fine tho.

I just started playing the Z745s this year and boy are they good. Paired the Modus 130x they feel phenomenal and flight the ball really well. I still hit them high, but I think that's partly due to them being too far forward in my stance.

I've yet to try the Z Forged. I asked my local PGA SS but I believe they said these irons needed to be custom ordered through Srixon for demos? Thought that was odd.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I got a set of ZForged heads and shafted them with PX Catalyst 100 shafts. The headweight were all 7 gram gaps...pretty impressive. Haven’t seen a set dead on in a very long time. I’ve been on a search for irons for a year and tried a bunch...I can’t believe how solid these are. Very forgiving for a blade, great ball flight and distance and a very pure feeling at impact. Have a few rounds in with them and I am very happy with these.

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @mogc60 said:

> I got a set of ZForged heads and shafted them with PX Catalyst 100 shafts. The headweight were all 7 gram gaps...pretty impressive. Haven’t seen a set dead on in a very long time. I’ve been on a search for irons for a year and tried a bunch...I can’t believe how solid these are. Very forgiving for a blade, great ball flight and distance and a very pure feeling at impact. Have a few rounds in with them and I am very happy with these.

I've spoken to many in the industry including top builders and club designers and they all said Srixon (endo forged) have some of the best quality control in the business. I've owned two sets of 745's and both were spot on. That's RARE!

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @J13 said:

> > @mogc60 said:

> > I got a set of ZForged heads and shafted them with PX Catalyst 100 shafts. The headweight were all 7 gram gaps...pretty impressive. Haven’t seen a set dead on in a very long time. I’ve been on a search for irons for a year and tried a bunch...I can’t believe how solid these are. Very forgiving for a blade, great ball flight and distance and a very pure feeling at impact. Have a few rounds in with them and I am very happy with these.

>

> I've spoken to many in the industry including top builders and club designers and they all said Srixon (endo forged) have some of the best quality control in the business. I've owned two sets of 745's and both were spot on. That's RARE!

Very rare. I actually was in shock it’s been so long since I had a set spot on. The quality is evident in every way with them and they are just unbelievably solid.

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I also use the modus 120 stiff. Just worked the best. Prior I had the i210s in the project x Lz 6.0. My numbers were just spot on with the modus 120. If you custom order these clubs you have over 40 shaft options with no additional charge. I really can’t say enough about the Srixon brand in general. No other manufacturer offers that kind of shaft selection at no upcharge! Can’t wait to test their drivers in the offseason.

I've been playing the Z Forged 5-PW with a Z 785 4 iron for most of this season and have been very pleased with them. I switched from the first generation Apex MB, so the shape was a little bit of an adjustment, but I got used to it fairly quickly. All that being said, I have an order in for the new Titleiat 620 MB in 5-PW and the U500 in the 3& 4 that should arrive soon.