ebay strategy

userpick21userpick21 Members Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

A recent thread here had many of you saying you get better value out of selling clubs on eBay (vs BST). I don't think I've typically found this to be the case, especially when you factor in the 10% fee. So I was curious: am I doing it wrong? What have you found is the best way to sell on eBay? Buy it now? Auction? Lengths of time? I appreciate the insight!

Comments

  • rynobucketrynobucket Members Posts: 867 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I normally do Buy It Now with the Best Offer option. Generally, I have my Buy It Now price 10-15% higher than I am willing to take, many times somebody buys at the asking price. If I do an auction (I do 10-day), I make sure it ends at a time when people will normally be available (early Sunday evening is my preferred ending time). I have gotten some really great deals when people end their auctions in the middle of the night. If it is a newer item that has a large market, I start my bidding at 99 cents. If it is a more obscure item, I make sure to set my starting price at or near what I would like to receive.

  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    since ebay still has upper hand over Amazon on used clubs, it is the go-to place online. I'd bet you have 10 times the exposure than BST.
    I've sold numerous items to oversea's people on ebay.

  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I find items sell for more on ebay even after fees, but not by much vs bst. More of my items sell there than bst, that's for sure. I always give the bst a shot, then typically go over to ebay and items sell pretty quickly.

    PING i20 10.5
    Adams a7 19
    PING G25 23
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Cameron Studio Select Newport
  • GoIrish17GoIrish17 Members Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I pretty much sell exclusively on eBay since the site “improvements” here. If I have a rare/desirable/valuable/new w/aftermarket options/etc. type item, I may give here a try first (folks here seem to understand what it is they are looking at more than on eBay). But, that hasn’t been as fruitful as it used to be. Lower priced items (less than $100) aren’t even worth the time and effort selling here - buyers here seem to have forgotten that prices include shipping, PayPal, time & effort...

    Selling on eBay... I’m pretty much 100% Buy-it-Now with a best offer option. I always try to do some research and make sure that what I’m selling is the most attractively priced example in it’s condition. Unless I’m not getting much interest, then I’ll relist as a 7 day auction. As someone above said, I always try to set my auctions to end at a high traffic time (usually Sunday evening, but M-Th around 9:30 seems to be a time that has the east coast in prime time, but still catches the west coast coming home from work). Buyers always pay shipping. Honestly, I’ve never started an auction above $.99, and I have don’t remember ever feeling like I totally got pilfered on a sale.

    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8° | HC Evenflow Black 65 (thoughts arrive like butterflies)
    3wd: TaylorMade M4 Tour 15° | Kuro Kage XT 70
    Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° | Fujikura Speeder 8.8
    Driving Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21° | AD DI 105
    Irons: Srixon 785 5-PW | Recoil 110
    Wedges: Vokey 48° F (handground S), 54° M, 58° V | KBS 610
    Putters: Byron Morgan DH 89
    MannKrafted MA66
    Cameron AOP Oil Can Newport
    Tad Moore 1S Prototype

  • Radeon962Radeon962 ClubWRX Posts: 1,987 ClubWRX

    New items will sell here on BST. Pretty much anything will sell on eBay.

  • dmb3535dmb3535 Members Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

    Items used to sell here much faster than they do with the new site. I think it mainly has to do with the feedback system on this new site. I know I have put stuff up for sale on old site and 95% sold fairly quickly at good prices, but now it seems like traffic is down big time. It is hard to even get responses to messages anymore. I sold an item 3 weeks ago and I wanted to check with buyer to see if they were happy and no response. Feedback is a must for buyers (is for me) and we need it back. Ebay has the feedback so I think that helps them sell your items much faster. You also have to think about the average golfer looking for gear as well, ebay MUCH bigger name than this site even though I trust and love this site 1000 times more than ebay

    DRIVER --Rogue sub zero

    FW- Rogue 3 wood
    M2--5hl

    IRONS--- jpx 900 forged 5-pw

    WEDGES--T7-49-53-56-59

    PUTTER-- scotty cameron buttonback
  • Little NedLittle Ned Members Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @dmb3535 said:
    Items used to sell here much faster than they do with the new site. I think it mainly has to do with the feedback system on this new site. I know I have put stuff up for sale on old site and 95% sold fairly quickly at good prices, but now it seems like traffic is down big time. It is hard to even get responses to messages anymore. I sold an item 3 weeks ago and I wanted to check with buyer to see if they were happy and no response. Feedback is a must for buyers (is for me) and we need it back. Ebay has the feedback so I think that helps them sell your items much faster. You also have to think about the average golfer looking for gear as well, ebay MUCH bigger name than this site even though I trust and love this site 1000 times more than ebay

    One thing I've found as someone trying to buy off BST is that searching for items on my iPhone is more difficult than it used to be.

    Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VAMembers Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I also find my ebay sales really go quick when they have increases in ebay buck %s, or other promos.

    PING i20 10.5
    Adams a7 19
    PING G25 23
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Cameron Studio Select Newport
  • Lenny2Lenny2 Members Posts: 37 ✭✭

    I haven’t been shopping for any clubs in a while and eBay is an absolute nightmare now with so much fake stuff and people claiming they have tour issue stuff but won’t give you the serial numbers or it’s a complete fake. So who is it on eBay that we can trust? Anyone have someone they deal with on a regular basis that’s 100% legit?

  • jschwarbjschwarb Members Posts: 807 BST Banned

    @larciel said:
    since ebay still has upper hand over Amazon on used clubs, it is the go-to place online. I'd bet you have 10 times the exposure than BST.
    I've sold numerous items to oversea's people on ebay.

    Not 10 times the exposure, it's more like 50-100 times. I sell a lot of stuff and have also shipped all over the world, it's amazing what people scoop up.

  • cardia10cardia10 Members Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jschwarb said:

    @larciel said:
    since ebay still has upper hand over Amazon on used clubs, it is the go-to place online. I'd bet you have 10 times the exposure than BST.
    I've sold numerous items to oversea's people on ebay.

    Not 10 times the exposure, it's more like 50-100 times. I sell a lot of stuff and have also shipped all over the world, it's amazing what people scoop up.

    I also do their global shipping program. I pay to ship to Kentucky and ebay takes it from there. Sold everything from Camerons to Jordans. You hit about 80% of the worlds population on ebay and can see their feedback, while here, you hit a very tiny core group of golfers, and we don't have a feedback system. I still try to sell here first and would much prefer to deal with the people here, but lately, it hasn't been worth the effort to post an ad.

  • wizardwizard Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

    I almost always do buy it now on eBay, but only sometimes with the make an offer option. The 10% fee stinks especially when selling irons or anything over $400. Selling on BST always preferred to save that 10%.

  • GoIrish17GoIrish17 Members Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Lenny2 said:
    I haven’t been shopping for any clubs in a while and eBay is an absolute nightmare now with so much fake stuff and people claiming they have tour issue stuff but won’t give you the serial numbers or it’s a complete fake. So who is it on eBay that we can trust? Anyone have someone they deal with on a regular basis that’s 100% legit?

    It’s not like there’s an exclusive list of trusted eBay vendors, and dealing with anyone outside of that list is Russian roulette. It’s just like anything else, you gotta put in some effort and not just hit the “add to cart” button & hope. Check feedback. See a lot of negatives/ neutrals or not much feedback at all? Maybe move along. Ask questions. If you’re not comfortable with the answers, keep shopping. Look at pictures - if something looks off, either move along or start doing some questioning and researching. Educate yourself on what to keep an eye out for in items you are shopping for. Google sellers and items. Search here for bad/good feedback on established sellers, and threads on counterfeit items - there’s tons of threads dedicated to specific clubs and identifying counterfeits here in the DonD forum. Always be specific in what you’re looking for, what you’re willing to compromise on, and never hesitate to walk away quickly from any items that don’t check all of your boxes (or items being sold by someone you don’t feel comfortable about). There’s lots of sellers on eBay with lots of items, never settle for something or take a chance.

    It’s a big scary world out there, especially for folks shopping on the secondary markets online and unwilling to put in the time and effort to make their experience as safe and satisfying as possible. It’s possible that some people might be better served buying new from retail outlets. The extra spent may just seem like a bargain when they’ve saved themselves the hassle and headache of second guessing every purchase they make. Plus, it may save this forum from a bunch of “Is my _______ I Just Bought on eBay Fake?” threads.

    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8° | HC Evenflow Black 65 (thoughts arrive like butterflies)
    3wd: TaylorMade M4 Tour 15° | Kuro Kage XT 70
    Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° | Fujikura Speeder 8.8
    Driving Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21° | AD DI 105
    Irons: Srixon 785 5-PW | Recoil 110
    Wedges: Vokey 48° F (handground S), 54° M, 58° V | KBS 610
    Putters: Byron Morgan DH 89
    MannKrafted MA66
    Cameron AOP Oil Can Newport
    Tad Moore 1S Prototype

  • Little NedLittle Ned Members Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 7, 2019 1:04am #15

    @GoIrish17 said:

    @Lenny2 said:
    I haven’t been shopping for any clubs in a while and eBay is an absolute nightmare now with so much fake stuff and people claiming they have tour issue stuff but won’t give you the serial numbers or it’s a complete fake. So who is it on eBay that we can trust? Anyone have someone they deal with on a regular basis that’s 100% legit?

    It’s not like there’s an exclusive list of trusted eBay vendors, and dealing with anyone outside of that list is Russian roulette. It’s just like anything else, you gotta put in some effort and not just hit the “add to cart” button & hope. Check feedback. See a lot of negatives/ neutrals or not much feedback at all? Maybe move along. Ask questions. If you’re not comfortable with the answers, keep shopping. Look at pictures - if something looks off, either move along or start doing some questioning and researching. Educate yourself on what to keep an eye out for in items you are shopping for. Google sellers and items. Search here for bad/good feedback on established sellers, and threads on counterfeit items - there’s tons of threads dedicated to specific clubs and identifying counterfeits here in the DonD forum. Always be specific in what you’re looking for, what you’re willing to compromise on, and never hesitate to walk away quickly from any items that don’t check all of your boxes (or items being sold by someone you don’t feel comfortable about). There’s lots of sellers on eBay with lots of items, never settle for something or take a chance.

    It’s a big scary world out there, especially for folks shopping on the secondary markets online and unwilling to put in the time and effort to make their experience as safe and satisfying as possible. It’s possible that some people might be better served buying new from retail outlets. The extra spent may just seem like a bargain when they’ve saved themselves the hassle and headache of second guessing every purchase they make. Plus, it may save this forum from a bunch of “Is my _______ I Just Bought on eBay Fake?” threads.

    Great advice. Unfortunately, even all of that can’t save one from a “Is my ______ I Just Bought on eBay Fake?” thread.

    See here :) https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1785367/fake-g400-max#latest

    Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • jli2636jli2636 Members Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @GoIrish17 said:

    @Lenny2 said:
    I haven’t been shopping for any clubs in a while and eBay is an absolute nightmare now with so much fake stuff and people claiming they have tour issue stuff but won’t give you the serial numbers or it’s a complete fake. So who is it on eBay that we can trust? Anyone have someone they deal with on a regular basis that’s 100% legit?

    It’s not like there’s an exclusive list of trusted eBay vendors, and dealing with anyone outside of that list is Russian roulette. It’s just like anything else, you gotta put in some effort and not just hit the “add to cart” button & hope. Check feedback. See a lot of negatives/ neutrals or not much feedback at all? Maybe move along. Ask questions. If you’re not comfortable with the answers, keep shopping. Look at pictures - if something looks off, either move along or start doing some questioning and researching. Educate yourself on what to keep an eye out for in items you are shopping for. Google sellers and items. Search here for bad/good feedback on established sellers, and threads on counterfeit items - there’s tons of threads dedicated to specific clubs and identifying counterfeits here in the DonD forum. Always be specific in what you’re looking for, what you’re willing to compromise on, and never hesitate to walk away quickly from any items that don’t check all of your boxes (or items being sold by someone you don’t feel comfortable about). There’s lots of sellers on eBay with lots of items, never settle for something or take a chance.

    It’s a big scary world out there, especially for folks shopping on the secondary markets online and unwilling to put in the time and effort to make their experience as safe and satisfying as possible. It’s possible that some people might be better served buying new from retail outlets. The extra spent may just seem like a bargain when they’ve saved themselves the hassle and headache of second guessing every purchase they make. Plus, it may save this forum from a bunch of “Is my _______ I Just Bought on eBay Fake?” threads.

    Great advice here. I typically buy stuff on eBay from retailers that have an eBay store front(cally preowned, golf etail, global golf, Dallas golf, etc). Anything under 99% feedback and I dig into the feedback ratings a little more for individual sellers.

  • SwingBluesSwingBlues We are the Old Dark Navy Blues Members Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @cardia10 said:

    @jschwarb said:

    @larciel said:
    since ebay still has upper hand over Amazon on used clubs, it is the go-to place online. I'd bet you have 10 times the exposure than BST.
    I've sold numerous items to oversea's people on ebay.

    Not 10 times the exposure, it's more like 50-100 times. I sell a lot of stuff and have also shipped all over the world, it's amazing what people scoop up.

    I also do their global shipping program. I pay to ship to Kentucky and ebay takes it from there. Sold everything from Camerons to Jordans. You hit about 80% of the worlds population on ebay and can see their feedback, while here, you hit a very tiny core group of golfers, and we don't have a feedback system. I still try to sell here first and would much prefer to deal with the people here, but lately, it hasn't been worth the effort to post an ad.

    I agree ebay sells a lot faster than here, WRX. However, I do list here first before it moves over to ebay (typically Page 5). I like the old site better for the feedback but for me, a sale is a sale and I usually protect my sale with signature and insurance (yeah, its a cost but worth the peace of min). As for pricing, i usually list ebay higher than I would list here to try and compensate for the 10% commission.
    However, ebay will start applying sales tax (for CA it's 10/1/19) and that, may, dampen sales
    I found it interesting you're using their global shipping program but I am reluctant to do that for the extended shipping period and more chances something will go wrong. I once shipped to PR with USPS signature and it was never confirmed delivery but I heard nothing from the buyer so I assume they received it. Luckily it was iron covers so it was only about $15.

    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero 9*, Fujikura Ventus 6-S finished 44.5"
    Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Honma 737 18* 5 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft
    Taylormade UDI 2 iron, 18* KBS C-Taper Lite

    Taylormade P790 4-PW, Nippon Modus 3 105 with ProSoft inserts, Grip Master Perforated leather grips
    Ben Hogan 2018 Equalizer 48* and 52* Forged wedges
    Nike Engage Toe Sweep 56* wedge
    Directed Force Reno "2.05" with BGT Stability shaft (Presse V tweaked)


    Ball: Srixon XV, 2019 Taylormade TP-5x
    Swing: PPGS, a Surgite !!!
  • stimpmeterpstimpmeterp Washington DCMembers Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just had a buyer in Malaysia back out of buying my pricey Epic SZ Triple Diamond head. He kept asking me to waive the import taxes and after I told him for the 3rd time I could not legally do that - he disappeared. Its a bummer when you let an auction run its course to have that happen.

    Joined GolfWRX 7.7.07 | 150+ Positive Feedback | D.C. area | 12 Club Bag

    PXG Bat Attack H | RTX-4 60* 54* & 48*
    TM RSI2 6-9 | Srixon U65 23* | Fourteen Type 7 20*
    Callaway TC XHOT2 Pro 17*
    G400 LST 8.5*  

    LinkSoul Soldier Bag 

  • eleven bravoeleven bravo Members Posts: 36 ✭✭

    I think the BST would suit the niche items better and some of your run of the mill stuff would sell better on eBay.

  • dmecca2dmecca2 Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

    All about what your looking to buy and the condition. I find much better condition stuff on here for cheaper than I would on ebay, but if youre looking for more used stuff I think ebay is better.
    I find wedges are cheaper on ebay. Just bought a very slightly used sm6 on there for $28.

  • DpavsDpavs OverWRX'ed Members Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @dmecca2 said:
    All about what your looking to buy and the condition. I find much better condition stuff on here for cheaper than I would on ebay, but if youre looking for more used stuff I think ebay is better.
    I find wedges are cheaper on ebay. Just bought a very slightly used sm6 on there for $28.

    This used to be true but I am finding exactly the opposite now. Sadly I can get much better and more realistic prices on new or lightly used clubs on ebay than here.

  • Tim SchochTim Schoch Swing like it already happened. ClubWRX Posts: 1,091 ClubWRX
    edited Aug 17, 2019 1:41pm #22

    As a buyer, BST is a trusted source but kind of not organized yet for messaging easily, feedback, phone searching. To buy, I trust CallowayPreowned, who verify the authenticity of all clubs for sale, new or used, although they might be a bit higher in price--however, everything I've gotten from them has been pristine, even if they tag it "average." For price, Rock Bottom Golf I've found to be the lowest. For me, I don't trust that many of them check for fakes, but the good thing is that most of them easily take returns. If you're picking to resell what you buy, there's good advice above about timing auctions. Lots to find at low prices if you spend the time and are savvy.

    Selling is a different issue. The 10% that eBay charges is well worth the admission to the millions of buyers they provide, like the percentage PayPal charges for their secure, smooth services. I have never successfully used the auction solution. I have had great success putting overly high prices on items I think have value (like Eye2 sand/lob wedges, Hogan irons, many others), then negotiating when I get offers in messages. I rarely use Best Offer because you're telling customers your price is too high and you'll come down. Doesn't make sense. Having perceived confidence in your price is better, because customers can now make an offer whether you choose that option or not, on any listing.

    I haven't found that Free Shipping makes much of a difference. It is a nice thing to offer, if you're sure someone remote won't order your item. On the other hand, charging a flat fee sometimes means you'll be splitting the shipping, so price wisely. On heavier items, I use calculated shipping, so people local to me don't get screwed by a high fixed shipping price I'd have to put on the listing to cover me if someone in Washington State orders the clubs (I'm in VA).

    All that is basic 101. What is really important and what will make your listing stand out: excellent, cropped, edited photos. You get excellet photos by first cleaning your product, placing it in a background and lighting that makes it look good (not on the bed), and making certain your photos are in focus. Your listing copy needs to be read and absorbed quickly and easily--no long listings, no rambling, be honest about defects but stress positives, even how you feel about your item. Come off as if you know what you're talking about, not trying to be hip or flip. A friendly, personal approach is better than too much detail and trying to look like a business.

    On BST, I have found all the participants/members to be friendly, helpful, and generally flexible. I've gotten good deals here, while some have spammed me--kind of expected. My approach to sales has always been this: don't sell. Offer positive value, proof of value, and be sincere. And don't be afraid to say "if you don't like it and don't hurt it, return it free." I usually offer this behind the scenes in a message, generally during negotiation. For me, no one has ever returned anything.

    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    - Groucho Marx

    WIMB
    TaylorMade Burner Driver 10.5* REAX reg graphite
    TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
    Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
    PING i5 blue dot, 5-PW, Ping stiff steel
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10, SM7 58/12 reg graphite
    Putter: Ping Pal 4 BeCu
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips[/size][/font][/font][/size]
  • Little NedLittle Ned Members Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Pictures make a huge difference. It takes an extra 5 seconds to provide several clear, in focus pictures. That 5 seconds alone can easily increase what buyers are willing to pay.

    Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • GoIrish17GoIrish17 Members Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Little Ned said:
    Pictures make a huge difference. It takes an extra 5 seconds to provide several clear, in focus pictures. That 5 seconds alone can easily increase what buyers are willing to pay.

    This is excellent advice. When I’m shopping, if an item has few or crappy photos, I just keep on scrolling. Everyone has a phone that takes pretty decent pictures. If someone doesn’t take the time to take clear and detailed photos, I just assume they’re hiding something.

    Driver: Ping G400 LST 8° | HC Evenflow Black 65 (thoughts arrive like butterflies)
    3wd: TaylorMade M4 Tour 15° | Kuro Kage XT 70
    Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° | Fujikura Speeder 8.8
    Driving Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21° | AD DI 105
    Irons: Srixon 785 5-PW | Recoil 110
    Wedges: Vokey 48° F (handground S), 54° M, 58° V | KBS 610
    Putters: Byron Morgan DH 89
    MannKrafted MA66
    Cameron AOP Oil Can Newport
    Tad Moore 1S Prototype

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file