Will Someone Please Explain Why This Cheap Ball Works So Good For Me???? (Costco Callaway Hex)

Not Far From Par ·  
Not Far From ParNot Far From Par  1254WRX Points: 110Handicap: 3.2Members Posts: 1,254 Platinum Tees

I've never really been loyal to any ball..
I DID get in on the Woot Lethal deal so many years ago, & that ball was my baby...
But finally went thru the 40 dozen that I had..
My company has an annual tournament every year, & one of my playing partners stole the Pro-V1x's in my shag bag, & replaced them with these Hex Tour Softs...
I didn't mind, as I usually win balls often at local tourneys...
Low & behold... these balls flat out work for me...??
LONG... but straight as a string...
They putt fantastic, & green side manners would be the only part I would say isn't the greatest... but still not bad...
Most would consider them a cheap POS...
My playing partner picked some up, as he didn't believe me.. & he fell in love as well???
We have 2 polar opposite games.. He's LONG.. I'm not...
I pick courses apart... he overpowers them with ease... (both 2-3 cappers)
How is this possible??
FWIW... I'm 98-100 SS, Partner is probably 120+

Posted:
Callaway Flash 10.5* Aldilla Tour Blue
Callaway Flash SZ HZRDS Smoke 15*
PING i500 3-6, iBlade 7-PW DG S300 120’s
PING 2.0 Stealth 50ss 54ss 60ss
PING Redwood Anser

Don't worry Ron... I still own the 5-wood.... It's up on the mantle doing it's best impression of wall art

Comments

• Hags11Hags11  13WRX Points: 44Members Posts: 13 Bunkers

Well, looks like I’ll have to add them to the list! Following along to see if others have input to add!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • agolf1agolf1  1845WRX Points: 1,035Members Posts: 1,845 Platinum Tees

I haven't played this version from Costco but played the two prior versions (SuperHot 55 and Hex something I believe). Both times they worked just fine for me (I'd put them with the SoftFeel, SuperSoft, and Titleist DT Solo/Trusoft group of balls that are more than adequate). Maybe you just like the softer compression/feel? Like you say they aren't great with the partial wedges but you can still get around the course.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • Not Far From ParNot Far From Par  1254WRX Points: 110Handicap: 3.2Members Posts: 1,254 Platinum Tees

On -, @agolf1 said:

I haven't played this version from Costco but played the two prior versions (SuperHot 55 and Hex something I believe). Both times they worked just fine for me (I'd put them with the SoftFeel, SuperSoft, and Titleist DT Solo/Trusoft group of balls that are more than adequate). Maybe you just like the softer compression/feel? Like you say they aren't great with the partial wedges but you can still get around the course.

I can still spin them just fine...
    They just don't "dig in" like I'm used to doing..
    For me, as simple as just playing it to do so... (if that makes sense)

Posted:
    PING Redwood Anser

Don't worry Ron... I still own the 5-wood.... It's up on the mantle doing it's best impression of wall art
  • agolf1agolf1  1845WRX Points: 1,035Members Posts: 1,845 Platinum Tees

On -, @Not Far From Par said:

On -, @agolf1 said:

I can still spin them just fine...
    They just don't "dig in" like I'm used to doing..
    For me, as simple as just playing it to do so... (if that makes sense)

I don't follow the exact difference you are referencing (spin vs. dig in), but I agree most of the time you can just allow for a little more release. I've always just liked the way these balls come off the irons. Soft feel and the trajectory is quite high/straight but never seem to balloon.

There is one other +2 guy in the "is a urethane ball hurting me" thread that likes the surlyn covered balls. I've been thinking about switching once my SuperHot 55 and SuperSofts are gone. Maybe I'll just stick with these "Cheap POS" as you call them.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • munichopmunichop  326WRX Points: 199Members Posts: 326 Greens

@ Not far from par
    I think you found the Callaway version of my beloved Gamer Soft. I am the +2 referenced above and have tried to get golfers to open their minds to the benefits of 3 piece surlyn balls. Once you adjust to their limitations on the greens you can benefit by simplifying your short game. For me these ball perform better than urethane on the misses. They tend to be more point and shoot balls but they are consistent. If you have a good ball striking day you can produce your best scores with this type of ball. Now I will add these to the audition list - currently comparing superhot and the 2 piece e6. I also tried the e12 soft and the QST. The superhot seems a little longer off the tee. My ss is 95- 98 with the driver.

Posted:
  • Not Far From ParNot Far From Par  1254WRX Points: 110Handicap: 3.2Members Posts: 1,254 Platinum Tees

On -, @munichop said:

@ Not far from par
    I think you found the Callaway version of my beloved Gamer Soft. I am the +2 referenced above and have tried to get golfers to open their minds to the benefits of 3 piece surlyn balls. Once you adjust to their limitations on the greens you can benefit by simplifying your short game. For me these ball perform better than urethane on the misses. They tend to be more point and shoot balls but they are consistent. If you have a good ball striking day you can produce your best scores with this type of ball. Now I will add these to the audition list - currently comparing superhot and the 2 piece e6. I also tried the e12 soft and the QST. The superhot seems a little longer off the tee. My ss is 95- 98 with the driver.

I read thru your posts in the thread you’re in...
    Also read several, but not all of others opinions...
    I agree with your angle on everything, & would love to convince more of my playing partners on what you see...
    To be completely honest...
    I’d LOVE to knock it around the course with ya!
    Sounds like our games are almost identical!
    What I am finding with this Hex ball, is I’m definitely longer, usually in the middle of the fairway (or close enough to still have a good look)
    Irons are an asset to my game, & putting is without a doubt my best attribute...
    Sounds like a scramble, or even a BB would see us near the top of many leaderboards!👍

Posted:
    PING Redwood Anser

Advertisement

On -, @not far from par

Thanks for concurring. I got a lot of push back in from the urethane groupies and I understand how some guys have to play certain equipment. But as I lost club head speed I found more and more of the golf manufacturers have built equipment for people like me. Things like cavity irons, hybrids ( my first iron is now a 6), higher launching golf balls ( the first one that was an eye opener for me was the e5), low kick shafts, lower compression 3 piece surlyn balls, etc. all have helped me optimize my game though I have limited practice time. The Phoenix area is blessed with plenty of competition and year round golf. But few things are more satisfying than beating a guy who has a bag full of ego equipment. He watches me break 70 while he spent 10 times my budget on his stuff while carrying a 3-pw blades and a pro v ball and struggles to break 85. If we switched bags he could break 80 easily but his ego won't allow it.
    Posted:

Munichop....
    We too get a long season up here in E.Washington desert... usually at least 11 months
    And, we also have a lot of Hollywood hdcps, & guys who are geared up...
    I still rock my ancient i20 irons, which I preordered before their release...
    Have tried several in between, but they just make the game so much easier...
    I play my driver at a high loft (about 11)
    Use a 4-wood (club in my sig up a degree & closed)
    Carry a GAPR, but go 4i to 60
    as like I said... irons are my thing...
    It’s brought so much confidence knowing I completely trust what my ball is going to do..
    Have 8 doz now, will probably go down to local Costco & load up this weekend
    40-50 doz should keep me confident for a while
    😁

Posted:
    PING Redwood Anser

• sshadow2sshadow2  1231WRX Points: 160Members Posts: 1,231 Platinum Tees

On -, @munichop said:

@ Not far from par

I also appreciate your recommendation. I’m not a plus player. Not in the same solar system as one. But I got really comfortable with a 2 piece Surlyn ball. I can do everything I want with it, including stopping it on a dime. Very, very rarely lost a ball. I bought 5 dozen in 2012 and still have 3 dozen left!
    Bought in bulk an upgraded urethane ball and I near lost a dozen in 1 round!

As you said, point and shoot! Thx for being bold enough to discuss this here.

Posted:

PING 410 9* Plus Tensei Orange CK 60
    Cobra KING F9 14.5* 3W Fujikura Atmos Blue 7v
    Cobra 21* Fujikura Atmos 7 TS Red
    Cobra Forged Tec 6-PW KBS $-Taper Lite
    Cleveland CBX2 48* KBS C-Taper
    Cleveland CBX2 54* KBS C-Taper
    PING Glide 3.0 WS 60* Nippon Z-Z115
    Taylormade Spider X Copper
    2019 Taylormade TP5 ball

Like it or not golf even at the highest level has embraced the point and shoot approach leading to bomb and gouge strategy. Awhile back one of the teachers who has essays on here tried to make an argument for pro v balls for higher handicaps due to better spin on 40 yard pitches. I took issue with that advice saying a lesser skilled player would be better off by not leaving that shot in the first place. If you have reached the level of skill to hit a 40 yard pitch you also can manage your game so you minimize having it. He lit into me using pros as his measuring stick. I replied I think a golfer should use the ball they hit longer and straighter while being able to control it around the greens. That is why pros switched to the solid balls from balata 20 years ago. Well I think that same thing applies to everyday golfers. And I believe what I see everyday is guys playing equipment that maximizes their misses vs the opposite- primarily ego related in my opinion.
    I am not the same golfer I was when I had 110 mph swing speed. But luckily I don't have to play my fg17's anymore even though when I hit one sweet nothing feels better. I have moved up a tee on almost all courses except my men's club tourneys. I can still play a 7000 yd course but I enjoy the round more when I move up 500 yards. The advantages of urethane are offset by a wider array of outcomes due to the spin. Each player should evaluate that and decide what is best for his game. That is why I don't carry a 60 deg wedge. For every great shot I pulled off it cost me another stroke when I didn't execute. With limited practice time I made the decision to take it out of the bag. I put in a square face chipper for muddy winter shots around the greens. Works great. My friends see me use it but won't get one - they just keep chunking chips and pitches. My driver loft is now 12 deg. One advantage to that is I can hit it off the deck if the lie is good. Yet most of my slower swinging friends still use 10.5 deg drivers. And stiff shafts in all their clubs. It goes on and on. I am at the point where I think most guys would rather complain than switch to equipment that actually helps them. Urethane balls are just one issue in the scheme of it.

Posted:
  • lenman73lenman73  836WRX Points: 179Members Posts: 836 Golden Tee

While they may not be from Costco, my favorite Callaway ball is the hex bite I got from amazon. Absolutely love that ball.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • zebra2955zebra2955  661WRX Points: 75Members Posts: 661 Golden Tee

I was in my local Costco and I grabbed a double dozen. I'll give them a try tommorrow . Will give a brief report when I do.

Posted:

Callaway Rogue/Epic depending on my mood

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Cobra F6 hybrids, 3-4 and 4-5

Cobra F6 irons 6i -PW, GW

Harry Taylor 54* and 58* wedges

Odyssey "O" Works 2 ball, Super Stroke mid slim 2.0 grip

Kirkland K3 and TP5

• Rory4PresRory4Pres  1303WRX Points: 348Handicap: highMembers Posts: 1,303 Platinum Tees

like cheap sunglasses...it's hard to lose cheap balls. haha. kidding. kinda.

Posted:

-Cobra F8+ driver w/ Tensei pro orange -TS3 15* w/ Evenflow -818 H2 17* w/ Atmos -816 H2 19* w/ Motore Speeder -MP32's w/ Rifles

-Vokeys 46.06, 52.12, 60.04/60.07 -SC Tei3 LN np2

Well got out and played 10 holes this morning with this Hex Tour soft. Not a bad ball at all. No distance lost, fairly straight. Stopped ok on the greens and putted nicely. Play it with a Titelist AVX and a Kirkland 3 Piece, But not on every hole. Didn't want to hold up pace.
    The Kirkland on the shorter irons and wedges backed up while the other 2 stopped and one short hop forward, sometimes backward. but pretty much stayed close to where they hit.
    All were nice with the driver or 3 wood off the tee
    First time playing the AVX, was impressed with them , but not impressed with the price. $48 for a dozen at Dicks compared to $30 for a double dozen of the Hex Tour at Costco
    Next time I'm in Costco just might grap a few. Maybe they will have a sale .

Posted:

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Kirkland K3 and TP5

• erock9174erock9174 North Canton, OH 4140WRX Points: 240Handicap: 10.5Members Posts: 4,140 Titanium Tees

Are these 3pc surlyn balls ?

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Exotics Xrail 3h | 4h | 5h

Cleveland  588 Altitude 6-PW

Cleveland CBX 50*/56*/60* - Callaway Sure Out 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 8.5

On -, @erock9174 said:

Are these 3pc surlyn balls ?

yes

Posted:

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Kirkland K3 and TP5

Advertisement
  • sshadow2sshadow2  1231WRX Points: 160Members Posts: 1,231 Platinum Tees

Went and played my 2pc Surlyn ball yesterday and had the best round of my life! I am thoroughly in the Surlyn camp (for now). Next I'll pick up some of the Hex Tour Softs and see how I like it.

Posted:

PING 410 9* Plus Tensei Orange CK 60
    Cobra KING F9 14.5* 3W Fujikura Atmos Blue 7v
    Cobra 21* Fujikura Atmos 7 TS Red
    Cobra Forged Tec 6-PW KBS $-Taper Lite
    Cleveland CBX2 48* KBS C-Taper
    Cleveland CBX2 54* KBS C-Taper
    PING Glide 3.0 WS 60* Nippon Z-Z115
    Taylormade Spider X Copper
    2019 Taylormade TP5 ball

I’m convinced & 100% confident in these Hex balls..
    Like I said previously, I will be loading up a stock pile of these things!

Posted:
    PING Redwood Anser

• deepreddeepred  314WRX Points: 92Handicap: 12Members Posts: 314 Greens

Do they have more short game spin then the Diablo Tour DSG is selling off?

Posted:
    Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
    Maltby MXU 23* 
    Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
    Wilson Pi5 6-PW
    Wilson JP 55* SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ray Cook M2 Mallet

On -, @deepred said:

I can't answer that.. Never played those..
    These really aren't bad at all with green side spin... Not enough for me to care about it

Posted:
    PING Redwood Anser

• nlinneman20nlinneman20 Saint Louis 272WRX Points: 62Handicap: 12Members Posts: 272 Greens

**** it, your not helping matters. I found one of these after I was like 5 over on the first 3 holes. I went on to play awesome with this ball for the next 10 holes till i lost it.

I'm just not buying any cuz all that's left is online at costco and its 4 dozen for 60 bucks, great deal but I dont need to spend 60 right now.

I am however going back to surlyn and giving it a shot. I just picked up some softfli amd straightflis, 2 for 25 and love the matte look.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • wantacigarwantacigar  6WRX Points: 8Members Posts: 6 Bunkers

On -, @sshadow2 said:

Went and played my 2pc Surlyn ball yesterday and had the best round of my life! I am thoroughly in the Surlyn camp (for now). Next I'll pick up some of the Hex Tour Softs and see how I like it.

I played the Top Flite D2 Feel yesterday and shot an 83. i'm an 18-19 hc. This ball is a 2 piece surlyn and is long, straight and adequate around the green. I have a driver ss of about 100-110 depending on how I feel. not a lot of love for these balls but when on sale I get them for $10/15 balls. i would like to try the maxfli sofli

On -, @deepred said:

I also bought 4 dozen Diable Tours. I've gone through a dozen. I like them a lot as well. I don't think they are as "soft" feel as the Hex Tour Soft but good around the green and are long and straight.

Posted:

Was in my local Costco (Orland Park IL ) and they either sold out or removed these in store. Got soe a couple weeks back. All they have in stock is the Ksig3 .
    Is the only place to get these now online ?
    Then again all they had in the Kirkland gloves was about 15 or so packs of small. Maybe waiting for a new delivery.

Posted:

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Kirkland K3 and TP5

I prefer the superhot around the green to the hex tour soft. This ball is a great value though for the Costco crowd.

Posted:
  • RangeballzRangeballz  1805WRX Points: 292Members Posts: 1,805 Platinum Tees

On -, @LICC said:

Because similar to the other thread I started, for most all golfers the different brands of balls don't make any significant difference in performance. It's all marketing smoke.

Bingo!

Posted:
  • nlinneman20nlinneman20 Saint Louis 272WRX Points: 62Handicap: 12Members Posts: 272 Greens

They are on costco website last i checked, gotta buy 4 dozen tho for $60

Posted:

Advertisement
  • flipitflipit  4WRX Points: 7Members Posts: 4 Starters

Mine was out of stock last month and this month they had a full pallet.

On -, @zebra2955 said:

Was in my local Costco (Orland Park IL ) and they either sold out or removed these in store. Got soe a couple weeks back. All they have in stock is the Ksig3 .
    Then again all they had in the Kirkland gloves was about 15 or so packs of small. Maybe waiting for a new delivery.

On -, @zebra2955 said:

Posted:
  • cardia10cardia10  2557WRX Points: 213Members Posts: 2,557 Titanium Tees

I think it is pretty simple with these types of balls. It benefits almost everyone to have much less spin (sidespin) on a driver. Equates to much straighter and longer. Most 20 handicaps only spin the ball around the green on accident or 20% of the time when they are trying. This ball is probably more in line as a true fit for the masses but ego tells 95% of golfers to play a Pro V. I love the 95%. I get to play behind them and find their balls in the woods.

Posted:

what is the difference between this ball and the Diablo tour ?

Posted:

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Kirkland K3 and TP5

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.