How to improve short game technique without access to quality in-person instruction
Looking for some advice about really making some improvements in my chipping and pitching. Currently feel that it is the worst part of my game, and I really struggle reproducing quality contact, even in practice, which makes me think it is a technique issue. I currently feel like I rely heavily on hand-eye coordination (e.g. "winging it") and decent putting to make up and downs. For a decent golfer (~6 handicap) I leave myself a lot of 10 footers for par which wears you out!
A few other things about my current short game:
- miss tends to predominantly thin, and to the right, with the occasional smothered pull . This is the exact same pattern I struggle with on my full swing
- struggle out of rough, especially when ball is sitting down
- don't put much spin on shots, very rare to feel like I made perfect contact
I don't have access to a quality instructor who specialises in short game, which is part of the reason this part of my game has deteriorated.** My goal is to learn one basic technique for pitch shots that I can then expand and build on**...in my opinion having a single motion that can create a consistent repeatable ball flight is more useful than having a toolbox full of different shots I can't execute consistently.
**I want to hear from anyone who managed to make significant improvements in short game without having good quality in-person instruction. ** I'm currently thinking that online course + video will be the easiest path, but I don't want to spend money unless i have heard other success stories...here is my thinking.
- Online lessons - not sure how well they work given how important lie and shot determine the optimal shot - would welcome any recommendations for instructors
- Online courses e.g. new GG website, coursekings, montes videos etc (would also welcome recommendations here)
- more time practicing and self discovery + taking videos and comparing to pros (last part seems like a bad idea)
Taylormade 2016 M2 DF 3hl Aldila Tour Blue 85x
Callaway Apex 20* Aldila Tour Blue 85x
Taylormade RSI UDI 4i DG AMT x100
Taylormade P770 5-P DG AMT x100
Ping Glide 51,55, 59 DG S400
Ping Anser Milled 5
On the bench/testing: G400 LST, Callaway 3deep, Cobra LTD 3-4, Callaway Apex 23*, UDI 2 and 3 irons, Ping Glide 53, PM Grind 64