2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

The first one is a practice swing and it looks fine other than coming over the top slightly, but I'm really struggling flipping my hands , this has been a struggle for several years now. I have high club head speed but I am losing so much distance because of this. I used to compress the ball well and then I stopped playing as often, once every few months tops, and now that I'm playing regularly again, it seems like my brain refuses to let me use my body to get speed. I was a baseball player through college and this was never an issue until several years after I was done. I try drill after drill and it feels like I am getting shaft lean but when I video it, im still flipping, even on short pitches and 50% swings. Any ideas to trick my brain into not releasing my hands so early?

I'm a bit of a flipper too. Hit the ball well but pretty thin all the time. Just had a lesson and this little drill started to help even though it is chipping. Try it chipping then work up without the bag (see below).

Put an impact bag in front of the ball about 18" - down the target line. Take a 58* and hit the ball over the bag without hitting your club into the bag. Not sure if this will help or not but it helped me - however, part of the reason I flip is I have poor upper body rotation thru impact. Rotating my chest and 'punching' these little wedge shots may help.

> @Fireballer said:

> No pro here, but lead shoulder pulling up and out in backswing. Too flat and arms getting behind. I would assume face open too. Your first move in downswing is a steepening re-route to get to the ball. If you didnt cast, you would probably miss ball entirely.

Lead shoulder up and out meaning my right shoulder?

> @grant2145 said:

> No pro here either but your takeaway looks to be far inside. I struggled with flipping early this season and working on my half back position helped neutralize my inside-out swing eliminating my flipping problem.

I do come to the inside more than I probly should, but of course that's a whole different animal from trying to fight coming over the top

> @wpsimpson15 said:

> > @Fireballer said:

> > No pro here, but lead shoulder pulling up and out in backswing. Too flat and arms getting behind. I would assume face open too. Your first move in downswing is a steepening re-route to get to the ball. If you didnt cast, you would probably miss ball entirely.

>

>

> Lead shoulder up and out meaning my right shoulder?

Your left shoulder...also, Monte has chimed in. Listen to him over us losers. But, my swing used to look alot like yours. These two videos got me finally understanding how the arms, shoulders, and wrists work.

> @MonteScheinblum said:

> First step is get rid of the trigger finger and likely need a stronger right hand

Stronger right hand meaning a stronger grip or use it more? When I use it more it seems to get even worse and my divot will start 6 inches behind the ball. And trigger finger as in my right index being so far down the club?

> @wpsimpson15 said:

> > @MonteScheinblum said:

> > First step is get rid of the trigger finger and likely need a stronger right hand

>

> Stronger right hand meaning a stronger grip or use it more? When I use it more it seems to get even worse and my divot will start 6 inches behind the ball. And trigger finger as in my right index being so far down the club?

Right hand less on top of the grip.

As Harvey Penick used to say- you don't often see people with a strong grip flap the lead wrist.

If I could make a Batman signal in the sky for all golfers to see it would say the following:

Coming over the top, flipping, etc.. is almost always caused by an effectively open club face.

The golf swing that we see is the result of your golfing brain trying to square the face through impact with a reasonable angle of approach with sufficient speed as required by the shot-

Practice swings are not your swing- the reason is that you don't really have to square the face in a practice swing (unless you aim at a spot on the ground like it's a ball) - I can do all sorts of things in a practice swing- but when I have to square the face and hit the ball on the ground, that's when we see what's really in the tank.

It has been my observation and experience that many people do not really know what quality or strength of grip they have.

There is also another issue that I have only ever known Penick and John Jacobs to talk about- how you set your face down not only relative to the target line but how you set the face down relative to you as well. All of those things combine to give you what I refer to as an effectively square, open or closed face.

When a golfer can't stop doing something I always find it in the set up- ALWAYS-

The clubface and angle of approach are so closely related but I can tell you the club face is king, and if you can get it to be effectively square, it will eventually make a lot of bad things go away,

You can stop flipping! Here's how:

1. Focus your attention on the golf club to the exclusion of every thing else you are thinking about when you make a swing.

2. Make it your intention to use the club to brush the turf on the target side of the ball. That simple.

When you are focused on the task, using the club to brush the turf on the target side of the ball, a wealth of good things happen. 1) You strike the ball with a descending blow. 2) Your weight gets to your front foot. 3) Your trail side moves through the ball. 4) You have forward shaft lean, and 5) YOU DON"T FLIP.

The way most people muck this up is by allowing their attention to drift from the task at hand to how they are performing the task, ie. which muscle fires first and when. Just focus on the task and you will see good results.

Steve

• Like 2

> @wpsimpson15 said:

> The first one is a practice swing and it looks fine other than coming over the top slightly, but I'm really struggling flipping my hands , this has been a struggle for several years now. I have high club head speed but I am losing so much distance because of this. I used to compress the ball well and then I stopped playing as often, once every few months tops, and now that I'm playing regularly again, it seems like my brain refuses to let me use my body to get speed. I was a baseball player through college and this was never an issue until several years after I was done. I try drill after drill and it feels like I am getting shaft lean but when I video it, im still flipping, even on short pitches and 50% swings. Any ideas to trick my brain into not releasing my hands so early?

I am for sure not a pro but I had a similar issue all season. Just took a lesson and the pro tweaked my setup and it has helped dramatically. Before, I was setting up with the ball towards my back foot, had a weak grip, had no shaft lean and my left arm wasn't close to making a straight line with the shaft. I moved the ball to the middle, strengthened my grip and really emphasized having forward press (strengthening my grip causes me to close the club face faster but shaft lean inherently opens the face to balance it out...or so I was told). I also make sure right forearm is not further from my body than my left which I personally feel causes me to pull my right shoulder back and have a better angle with my shoulders (left is before, right is after): cxcp8zczfnny.jpg

Then, at impact, the setup has helped me keep some of that shaft lean at impact (again, left before, right after): fpajnfxbf8ft.jpg

Overall, it looks and feels more athletic and leaves me more rooms for error. Has greatly improved my ball striking.

• 4 weeks later...

also not a pro... :smiley:

does your range have grass tees? if so, stick a tee about 3"-4" in front of the ball and try clipping the tee out of the ground. i really like this drill because it's simple and there are no technical thoughts -- just let the body adjust on its own.

p.s. it's important to get the distance correct. too close won't help and too far away could lead to frustrating results.

> @cadoipi said:

> This also has the benefit of only needing to replace the tee when you mess up.

this is appealing because replacing the tee can get annoying.

how far behind the ball should the tee be placed and how high do you think? i'm wondering because it seems this method could result in false positives. e.g. it's possible the low point could be at the ball (and still a bit flippy) without touching a tee placed behind it.

Focus first on what you want the club to do. You want the club to be more shallow (consequently will have more shaft lean) in your downswing. Point the club inside your target line in your backswing, then point it outside your target line in your downswing, then bring the grip down to the address position with a small lean forward. After you get this move then start working on optimization through body mechanics. Working on shoulder positions may change your swing, it could stay the same, or it could get worse. By focusing on the correct club movement instead of your body, you can only get better.