Fake G400 Max?

Little NedLittle Ned Members Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Aug 6, 2019 4:12am in Deal or No Deal? #1

Has anyone come across or seen fakes? And if the serial number checks out, does that ensure it is real? Or if the serial is slightly off center or slightly crooked?

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 5W, 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne
Post edited by Little Ned on

Comments

• wundejwundej ClubWRX Posts: 3,771 ClubWRX

I believe someone posted some pics of one in this forum not too long ago. It was either a 400 or 410. Do a quick search and there are some pics.

• Little NedLittle Ned Members Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 7, 2019 1:08am #3

Here are some pics. I noticed that on mine, the serial number is slightly further left and closer to the arc. Also, the weight on the back appears to be lighter or less gold/bronze.

The eBay seller was paupha_2 and the listing is here: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283566558179

FWIW ... I contacted Ping and they reviewed several pics. Ping agrees that “The driver does look a touch different but everything seems to check out both serial number wise and the specs.”

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne

Any thoughts?

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • GoIrish17GoIrish17 Members Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You weren’t cool with Ping telling you it’s probably good? You’re reaching here and letting eBay paranoia get the better of you. Do you think these companies have some kind of laser spec machine to make sure that the font, location, ink thickness, etc. of their serial numbers are exact to a NASA precise level? You almost have to squint and turn the phone to see any difference in the pictured serials. I’d chalk it up to photo angles/ focus and maybe different machines printing the two serials. The weights, I can’t see a
    difference in color. But, I’m willing to bet if I took one to the range a few times and compared to one fresh in the wrapper, I might notice a slight fading of the used head. I would’t worry.

Driver: Ping G400 LST 8° | HC Evenflow Black 65 (thoughts arrive like butterflies)
    3wd: TaylorMade M4 Tour 15° | Kuro Kage XT 70
    Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot Pro 18° | Fujikura Speeder 8.8
    Driving Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21° | AD DI 105
    Irons: Srixon 785 5-PW | Recoil 110
    Wedges: Vokey 48° F (handground S), 54° M, 58° V | KBS 610
    Putters: Byron Morgan DH 89
    MannKrafted MA66
    Cameron AOP Oil Can Newport
    Tad Moore 1S Prototype

@GoIrish17 said:
    You weren’t cool with Ping telling you it’s probably good? You’re reaching here and letting eBay paranoia get the better of you. Do you think these companies have some kind of laser spec machine to make sure that the font, location, ink thickness, etc. of their serial numbers are exact to a NASA precise level? You almost have to squint and turn the phone to see any difference in the pictured serials. I’d chalk it up to photo angles/ focus and maybe different machines printing the two serials. The weights, I can’t see a
    difference in color. But, I’m willing to bet if I took one to the range a few times and compared to one fresh in the wrapper, I might notice a slight fading of the used head. I would’t worry.

The weight colors are definitely different and the serial number thing is too. Anyway, Ping’s reaction was a little undecided IMO. They only said that the serial number checked out ... and I’d always been told here that serial numbers can easily be counterfeited now. Either way, maybe I am just being too picky.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • nfmotonfmoto Members Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

It's Real. Nothing to worry about.

After sleeping on it a night, I realize I was probably worrying about nothing. It is likely 99% that this club is real but the slight differences made me concentrate more on that 1% possibility.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

How much do you want for it? I’ll play it and take the chance it’s not totally right.

“I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot

@SubaruWRX said:
    How much do you want for it? I’ll play it and take the chance it’s not totally right.

I've got a 9* I'll sell you.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights