What to look for in used wedges?

el_b00t ·  
el_b00tel_b00t Members  61WRX Points: 58Posts: 61 Bunkers

I have zero wedges. I've gotten to a 19 HCP by using a 5, 7, and 9 iron for bump and run around the greens. That works fine for chipping, but I find a struggle in gauging my 9I for those short pitch shots. I was going to look into getting some used wedges because I told myself I would not treat myself to new clubs until I hit a single digit HCP. I was just browsing the CPO eBay store and they have several "Average" condition wedges for cheap, but no pictures to see the grooves. Instead, I was going to go by a local shop after work and check their bin of used wedges, but wasn't sure exactly how much face wear is too much.

Posted:

Comments

• BubbtubbsBubbtubbs Members  571WRX Points: 145Handicap: 7Posts: 571 Golden Tee

I'd go with something cheap but decent to start with until you get your technique down with the higher lofted clubs.

I grabbed a Tour Edge 56* from a local pre-owned sporting goods store for $25 CDN and learned to use it before I got proper wedges. I also can't recommend fitting enough because it'll allow you to figure out what gaps, sole grinds and bounce work for you.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • el_b00tel_b00t Members  61WRX Points: 58Posts: 61 Bunkers

On -, @JoeFrigo said:

just buy brand new wilson harmonized wedges. $29.99 each.... unless it hasn't been used much at all, buying a used wedge is risky. Technically speaking they should be replaced every year.

You'd want to look to see how deep the grooves still are ( like tread on your tires). And wedge faces should feel slightly rough instead of smooth.
    But not wanting to go the $120+ route for new wedges, honestly id lean towards buying those Wilson wedges so they're at least new

May look into this. $30 isn't too bad so I know the grooves are fresh. At least until I get used to using the higher lofts.

Posted:
  • 76mpg76mpg Members  352WRX Points: 100Posts: 352 Greens

Grooves are important but I’d look at bounce as well so it matches your typical course conditions and swing. Do you have a course where you could demo a few options on various turf cut And sand?

Posted:
  • LowDimeLowDime Members  186WRX Points: 93Handicap: 13Posts: 186 Fairways

My local edwin watts store has bags of used wedges ranging from 20-80 a piece, I dug around and got a 52 and 60 vokey sm7 black finish and a vokey wedge works 56 for under 200 for all 3.

Posted:
  • Brandons68Brandons68 Members  96WRX Points: 31Posts: 96 Fairways

You can buy cheap new wedges just the same. Just look for something on the lower end like a tour edge or a vts backspin. What I look for in used wedges is just face wear really. No grooves is just as bad as trying to bump 9i from around the greens because you will get the same effect.. no spin..

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cgasuckscgasucks Members  2504WRX Points: 416Posts: 2,504 Titanium Tees

I'd buy a cheap cast wedge with grooves that haven't worn out, preferably used. Grooves on forged wedges tend to shallow out a lot faster because of the softer metal.
    Then work on your technique.

Posted:
    10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
    1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
    Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
    Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
    Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

On -, @76mpg said:

Grooves are important but I’d look at bounce as well so it matches your typical course conditions and swing. Do you have a course where you could demo a few options on various turf cut And sand?

My home course has used clubs that you can bring out and try on a few holes, if it isn’t busy. They only have a few wedges that have seen there share of ball strikes though.

Posted:
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members  694WRX Points: 212Handicap: 18.5Posts: 694 Golden Tee

Just out of curiosity, you currently don’t have pw and sw in your bag? How do you get out of the green side bunkers?

Posted:

On -, @Marco Colo said:

Just out of curiosity, you currently don’t have pw and sw in your bag? How do you get out of the green side bunkers?

A fully opened 9I. I'm pretty much facing the target for the swing. I can usually get within 5ft of the hole.

Posted:
  • Marco ColoMarco Colo Members  694WRX Points: 212Handicap: 18.5Posts: 694 Golden Tee

On -, @el_b00t said:

On -, @Marco Colo said:

A fully opened 9I. I'm pretty much facing the target for the swing. I can usually get within 5ft of the hole.

Respect man. I am more or less same hcp 17.9 and usually farther than 5ft. with a sw or lw

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Marco Colo said:

On -, @el_b00t said:

On -, @Marco Colo said:

Respect man. I am more or less same hcp 17.9 and usually farther than 5ft. with a sw or lw

I practiced it a lot when I’d go to the range, but have only ever needed that shot a total of 3 times so far. I k ow it can go terribly wrong, so play it safe on holes with sand.

Posted:
  • mchamden1mchamden1 Members  506WRX Points: 92Posts: 506 Golden Tee

Honestly, 19 HCP to single digits is a HUGE improvement...if you could get there without a single wedge? We should make a movie about you!
    Just go on Ebay and check out reputable sellers...at very least find a sand wedge in "very good" or above condition that you can afford. Personally, i'm at 10.6 right now and have P, GW, SW, LW and can't imagine not having any of them!

Posted:
    TM M1 2017 8.5* // HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17* // Tensei Orange S
    Ping G25 Hybrid 20* // TFC 189F S
    Mizuno 919 Forged 4-GW // KBS Tour V
    SM7 56.14* 60.04* // S400
    Black Lab BL-1 // Mid Slim 2.0

On -, @mchamden1 said:

Honestly, 19 HCP to single digits is a HUGE improvement...if you could get there without a single wedge? We should make a movie about you!
    Just go on Ebay and check out reputable sellers...at very least find a sand wedge in "very good" or above condition that you can afford. Personally, i'm at 10.6 right now and have P, GW, SW, LW and can't imagine not having any of them!

No no I meant not buying fresh off the shelf clubs until then lol. I’m already struggling without wedges from about 130 and in haha.

Posted:
  • mchamden1mchamden1 Members  506WRX Points: 92Posts: 506 Golden Tee

On -, @el_b00t said:

On -, @mchamden1 said:

No no I meant not buying fresh off the shelf clubs until then lol. I’m already struggling without wedges from about 130 and in haha.

Oh haha that makes more sense. At this point, I would trust wedges at "very good" condition or better. Many of them have micro milling on the face, if this is still present, that should be good enough. Short game is ALL about practice and getting comfortable. At bare minimum I would find a sand wedge and just start messing around. A descending blow will result in more spin and make the ball stop faster. A good short game can cover up a LOT of flaws! (I would know)

Posted:
    TM M1 2017 8.5* // HZRDUS Yellow 6.5
    Callaway Super Hybrid 17* // Tensei Orange S
    Ping G25 Hybrid 20* // TFC 189F S
    Mizuno 919 Forged 4-GW // KBS Tour V
    SM7 56.14* 60.04* // S400
    Black Lab BL-1 // Mid Slim 2.0
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Charlotte, NCMembers  613WRX Points: 369Handicap: 8.7Posts: 613 Golden Tee

My first set was 3-9i with a 52° (lost my pw). No set pw or sw. You really learn how to make due. All that said, the game is easier with more wedges.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5° w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution IV 661
    Callaway GBB Epic sz 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75g
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL HMB 3-4 iron w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL 5-PW w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno S18 52°/9°
    Mizuno S18 57°/11°
    Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter
    Titleist Pro V1 golf balls

Advertisement
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers  2788WRX Points: 270Posts: 2,788 Titanium Tees

588 cleveland 52 58 in black 5 years old mid bounce

Posted:
    April 2020  Home all April

Ping RaptureV2 👌👍😷
    Cally RazrEdge5wd19
    Titleist retro build
    904F 7wd steelshaft..

MP100 from 2006
    5 6 7 8 9  @ D5ish
    Hogan Apex 4 shafts
    (mp33 100yrs anniversary)

Cally MD2 50S12
    Vokey SM 54.10
    Clevo 588RTX2 60 
    ProPlatinumMidSLT

Best wishes to you all if stuck at
    home being Good Isolated Citizens
    New Zealand has all of [email protected]
    Strong Leadership saves lives

and thanks TaylorMade Crew
    for your online Questions Ansers!!
    I'm a huge tm200 vsteel r7Quad+
    r11/r15 hybrid fan

• deepreddeepred Members  315WRX Points: 93Handicap: 12Posts: 315 Greens

I agree with the Wilson Harmonized, I just bought one at 2nd swing for $1!
    Plenty of life in the grooves still but I had to put a grip on it.
    Golfetail frequently has a Powerbilt three wedge set for under $50

Posted:
    Cleveland Classic XL Driver
    KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
    Maltby MXU 23* 
    Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
    Wilson Pi5 6-PW
    Wilson JP 55* SW
    Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
    Ray Cook M2 Mallet
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members  2150WRX Points: 472Posts: 2,150 Platinum Tees

A PW and a SW will get you started.
    IF you can find them, the Tour Black wedges would get you new grooves for about $50 each.
    Ray Cook's Blue Goose wedges are another $50 alternative.

Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • Chuck905Chuck905 Members  1402WRX Points: 252Handicap: 7Posts: 1,402 Platinum Tees

Get the lie and loft checked.

Posted:
    Epic SZ 11* Tensei White 75
    Epic SZ Strong 3 Wood, 13.5*
    Callaway Apex 18mb (2-PW)
    RTX-4 54* and 60*
    Odyssey RX9 Putter
  • mogc60mogc60 Members  1016WRX Points: 486Posts: 1,016 Platinum Tees

Look for wedge sets on eBay. You could get a steal for 3 of them. Do yourself a favor and buy name brand wedges. The better metal and grinds make a big difference. You can get a couple year old models in good shape for cheap
    Just did a quick search...780 wedge sets for under 75 bucks

Posted:

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

Advertisement
  • gamesgames Argue for your limitations and they are yours. Des MoinesMembers  1935WRX Points: 288Posts: 1,935 Platinum Tees

Buy one 56* or 58* wedge with as much bounce as possible. 12* or 14*. Then learn to do everything with that one club. Chip, pitch, flop, sand play. Then, buy Monte's short game video "Use the Bounce 2.0"

Posted:
  • ctsgolfctsgolf Members  186WRX Points: 145Handicap: 5Posts: 186 Fairways

If you got down to a single digit handicap without a single wedge in the bag, I'd be very impressed.

Posted:
    Taylormade M1  Speeder 661 Evo
    Ping G  Aldila NV 75s
    Titleist T-MB 20°  DG S400
    Titleist 695CB  DG S300 (4-PW)
    Callaway MD Forged  Recoil 125 F4
    Miura  KM-006  

On -, @ctsgolf said:

If you got down to a single digit handicap without a single wedge in the bag, I'd be very impressed.

I am still very impressed that he went on a side green bunker three times in his golf life..

I could be there 3 times in a good round! Every green side bunker of my home course call me by name and I am always welcome when they host me!

Posted:

On -, @Marco Colo said:

On -, @ctsgolf said:

I am still very impressed that he went on a side green bunker three times in his golf life..

I could be there 3 times in a good round! Every green side bunker of my home course call me by name and I am always welcome when they host me!

I just started playing actual rounds and have only been out about 15 times now since May. The two courses I frequent are light on the bunkers. One, though it's a beautiful course, doesn't have sand until the 10th. Going play a little more challenging course this evening, so that may change haha

Posted:
  • Go Horns!Go Horns! Members  207WRX Points: 78Handicap: 7Posts: 207 Fairways

You can find new wedges cheap. Look for new, old stock.
    https://www.golfdiscount.com/tour-edge-tgs-triple-grind-sole
    Never used them myself. But only $40 a pop. Get a 50 and 56 to pair up with your 9-iron.
    Problem with used wedges is worn out grooves.
    And this is a steal at $50: https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf-clubs/wedges/mizuno-golf-t7-white-satin-wedge/

Posted:

Advertisement
  • ZA206ZA206 Members  749WRX Points: 139Handicap: 4.0Posts: 749 Golden Tee

At minimum, you need a PW and a SW. I'd also advise getting a gap wedge to go in between. I wouldn't bother with a lob wedge until you have become proficient with the SW. I'd go to a golf shop and look at the new wedges and see what you like, then go on ebay and buy used previous year models of those wedges. Used wedges should be CHEAP since they are a consumable.

-ZA

Posted:
    TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Blue-Velocore 6X
    TM M5 15 3W  with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-7X
    TM M3 19 & 22 Rescue Hybrids with Fujikura Atmos Blue TS-8X
    Mizuno JPX 919F (5-PW) with DG 120 X100's
    TM 50, 56 & 60 Hi Toe with S300
    Odyssey stroke lab 10
  • Merlin_13Merlin_13 Henrik Fan MidwestMembers  72WRX Points: 45Posts: 72 Bunkers

Hey- first of all congrats on getting to where you are w/o any wedges- that awesome! FWIW- I know that (at least) TaylorMade and Callaway have pre-owned and clearance clubs on their applicable website as well as other brands and they are usually in pretty good shape without spending a lot of $$$$- It also gives you a chance to check out different loft/grinds etc without breaking the bank. I've had great luck with that (Callaway seems to be easier to work with IMHO)

Posted:

Big Bertha Fusion 10.5 PX LZ 50 (6.0)
    Apex 2016 Hybrids 20/23 Kuro Kage Black HYB (Stiff)
    Steelhead XR 4+ (16) Mitsubishi Tensei CK 65 (Stiff)
    Apex Pro 2016 5-PW PX LZ 6.0
    MD 5 50
    S KBS Tour V Wedge
    PM Grind 19 54/ PM Grind 58 KBS Tour V Wedge
    White Hot RX V-Line Fang

• tanker44tanker44 Members  419WRX Points: 133Posts: 419 Greens

Grooves

Posted:
    TM M2 2016 10.5* FujiPro 53
    TM M5 15* Speeder Evo OG
    TM UDI 17* UST Recoil
    TM P790 2019 4-PW Ctapers
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50/54/58 
    Evnroll ER5 

Advertisement
  • Eric267Eric267 North Lake TahoeMembers  117WRX Points: 40Posts: 117 Fairways

Had good luck buying wedges in value condition from Global golf. Put together a set of Cleveland cg15 52/56/60 for around
    $20-25 each. Buddy just got a TM 56° in value condition for $22 that was in really good condition
    https://www.globalgolf.com/golf-clubs/used/wedge/

Alternatively most munis (at least around here) have a trash can filled with old wedges people left behind and never came back for. Usually you can grab one for $5-10 if your looking for something on the cheap

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.