J. Speith__full swing yips

juliette91juliette91 Members Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Aug 6, 2019 2:48pm in Tour Talk #1

There's just no other explanation for off the planet drives or occasional fairway iron shots, more double bogeys than pretty much any other player on tour. Check out David Duval's scorecards as his driving yips escalated. Most oddly, Ian Baker Finch's comments about Speith's performance failed to mention the driving yips and he of all people should be the resident expert. That's why he's not playing. Is it just taboo to say? Maybe, but it's more misleading methinks to attribute Jordan's decline to some swing mechanics. Fwiw, I quit the game for many years because of it and unfortunately it really does take one to know one.

Comments

• cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

he has always had funky mechanics with that chicken wing but I agree .. putting yip and also full swing yips at times

Ping G400 LST 11.5* Aldila RIP Phenom 50tx
    Ping G400 3w 13.9* Aldila NVS 75x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17.5* NVS 85x
    Callaway Apex 4h 23* Catalyst 70s
    Callaway Apex 5h 26* Mitsu KK 80s
    Ping Blueprints 6i-PW DG xp115 x100 p-spec org dot
    Vokey sm2 TVD M grinds 50*, 54* & 60* DG s400 Onyx
    Scotty X7m
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hank Haney is the resident expert on driving yips.

I've had them from time to time. When I do, it helps me to close my eyes and just make a swing. Best to try that first on the practice tee.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 214 ✭✭✭

His swing is very timing based and when the timing is off he's all over.

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,403 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mjen43 said:
    He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

Semantics. When you go from multi major winner to 184th in SG off the tee, it's the yips that manifest themselves in legit full swing issues. He even stated after missing the secondary cut "I don't know what's going on"

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@mjen43 said:

@Krt22 said:

@mjen43 said:
    He doesn't have anything remotely resembling the driving yips. Stephen Bowditch has the driving yips, Spieth is just below average. If he had the driving yips he wouldn't make a cut.

You mean like last week where he shot the worst round of the tournament on Saturday and missed the secondary cut? He has a huge full swing issue, the number of doubles and triples he has been carding recently is terrible

The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

Agree not the yips at all. It’s that stupid flat swing where he sucks it inside and then tries to shut he face coming through.

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• mjen43mjen43 Members Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 6, 2019 6:49pm #10

@Krt22 said:
    Semantics. When you go from multi major winner to 184th in SG off the tee, it's the yips that manifest themselves in legit full swing issues. He even stated after missing the secondary cut "I don't know what's going on"

It's not semantics. The yips are a real thing. If he had the yips he wouldn't be 184th in SG off the tee, he would be 100,000th. If he had the yips it would also be near impossible for him to return to form as there is no known treatment. He doesn't have the yips, he has a correctable swing problem.

@bladehunter said:

@mjen43 said:

@Krt22 said:

@mjen43 said:

The yips are a neurological condition that manifests itself physically. They will make a #1 OWGR caliber player look like a 30 handicap.

There is a major difference between a huge full swing issue and the yips. Spieth is averaging -.392 SG:Tee-to-Green. I'm sorry but nobody on planet Earth is capable of a slightly below average Tour level Tee to Green game while having the real, actual yips. He has a swing issue, not the yips. One drive off the planet per round is not even close to enough to be talking about yips.

Agree not the yips at all. It’s that stupid flat swing where he sucks it inside and then tries to shut he face coming through.

Just needs to bring back the chicken wing and hit weak slices

• c7015c7015 Members Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@KRAMER1997 said:
    His swing is very timing based and when the timing is off he's all over.

all golf swings are based on timing IMO

he lost his confidence and is scared as **** he will never get it back. Hard to relax and swing fearlessly when you don't trust it.

TS3 Smoke 70g (S Flex)
    913 FD 3 wood Whiteboard (X Flex)
    915 F 5 wood Blueboard (S Flex)
    712U 4 Iron
    715CB 5-6
    718MB 7-PW 
    Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60 
    SC Newport 2.5
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Krt22 said:

@bladehunter said:

@mjen43 said:

@Krt22 said:

@mjen43 said:

He’s never. Been weak . Always averaged 290 plus. And he played a draw a lot.

Holding the face square as long pre and post impact as he did wasn’t weak. His iron stats pre swing change are rivaled by few.

Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

• PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

He’s searching and he’s lost his mental edge. If he gets that mental edge back, he’s got a chance. He’s done if he can’t get that back.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to CanadaMembers Posts: 12,503 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

he had a Moe Norman stance going at Portrush

Scotty X7m

he needs Butch

Scotty X7m
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@PowderedToastMan said:
    He’s searching and he’s lost his mental edge. If he gets that mental edge back, he’s got a chance. He’s done if he can’t get that back.

Loss of Mental Edge = Problems at Home

@bladehunter said:

@Krt22 said:

@bladehunter said:

@mjen43 said:

@Krt22 said:

@mjen43 said:

Holding the face square as long pre and post impact as he did wasn’t weak. His iron stats pre swing change are rivaled by few.

No no no, it's just his putting.

@Krt22 said:

@bladehunter said:

@Krt22 said:

@bladehunter said:

@mjen43 said:

@Krt22 said:

@mjen43 said:

Huh ? Now or then

Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

@bladehunter said:

@Krt22 said:

@bladehunter said:

@Krt22 said:

@bladehunter said:

@mjen43 said:

@Krt22 said:

@mjen43 said:

Huh ? Now or then

I'm being facetious, I agree, his full swing has gone to high ****.

• buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Krt22 said:

@bladehunter said:

@mjen43 said:

@Krt22 said:

@mjen43 said:

He didnt hit weak slices.

He does now lol

@Krt22 said:

@bladehunter said:

@Krt22 said:

@bladehunter said:

@Krt22 said:

@bladehunter said:

@mjen43 said:

@Krt22 said:

@mjen43 said:

Huh ? Now or then

I'm being facetious, I agree, his full swing has gone to high ****.

I’m way too tired to follow that depth of onomatopoeia....lol

Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

• chigolfer1chigolfer1 Members Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Krt22 said:

Wasn't he making some swing changes with his coach? (and yes, why do pros continue to do this these days. has no one heard of, if it ain't broke...)

• dciccorittidciccoritti An inch an hour, 2 feet a day Toronto, CanadaMembers Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@mjen43 said:

@Krt22 said:

@mjen43 said:

You just described my swing :-(

Wish I could yip it like him :-)

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway

TS2
    716 MB 5-PW
    MG 52 SB-09 | 56 LB-09 | 60 LB-09
    Select Newport 2
    ProV1x

• North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have played with someone who had real putting yips and I have played with someone who has real chipping yips. Jordan does not have the yips in any part of his game. Not even close.

• mjen43mjen43 Members Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 6, 2019 11:13pm #27

@North Texas said:
    I have played with someone who had real putting yips and I have played with someone who has real chipping yips. Jordan does not have the yips in any part of his game. Not even close.

Yep. The guy is averaging -.482 SG off the tee. That is essentially two penalty shots off the tee per tournament that the average tour player is not hitting into. Over the course of 72 holes (and about 56 tee shots), his driving is going to look virtually identical to the average pro save for one or two extra foul balls (the average tour pro is also hitting occasional foul balls over a 4 day event). If he had the swing yips, he would be coming in DFL every single event. He has an extremely small and virtually imperceptable issue in his swing that manifests itself about once every 30 swings. It is most certainly not the yips.

@Krt22 said:
    He does now lol

Yes indeed.
    I still remember a few years ago they were tracking his driver flight on the range and it was crazy straight. Thats golf for you.

@chigolfer1 said:

@Krt22 said:

Wasn't he making some swing changes with his coach? (and yes, why do pros continue to do this these days. has no one heard of, if it ain't broke...)

There's so much history of players chasing distance and destroying their game that you think they would learn.

• 00steven00steven Northern MIMembers Posts: 258 ✭✭✭✭

Cam needs to go, step one.

Driver: Taylormade M3
    3 Wood: Taylormade M4
    3 Hybrid: Taylormade M4
    4 iron: Titleist AP1 
    5-9: Titleist AP1 716 
    PW: Titleist CB 716 
    Wedges: 52/56 Titlest SM7 60 Titleist SM6
    Putter: Ping Sigma 2 Fetch
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • juliette91juliette91 Members Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for these thoughtful replies. I think I have a bit of an experience advantage here because I've had the full swing yips, still have them. When they were really bad I yipped 50% of the time off the tee and that caused me to quit playing for at least 10 years. Not hyperbole. I really couldn't play in competitions even though I was about a 2-3 handicapper. Despite trying pretty much everything under the sun (there is a lot under the sun for those who seek cures), I would yip even by myself sometimes especially when I would mentally challenge myself NOT to yip. Then who the **** knows why, they became less frequent, sometimes going for multiple rounds without yipping a drive. Then I'd yip one or two at the most and that's the way it is now. When I'm yipping with my tee shots now, I likely yip 1-2 maybe 3 times a round off the tee and lose (if it's 3x) about 4-6 shots/round.

Starting with Speith's drive at The Open when it was so wayward right that it became the stuff of legend I had an inkling that was the issue. Now, seeing his scorecard and his errant drives that really go way way right mostly (when he I think yips), it's a pattern I am completely familiar with. For those of you on this thread who really have never experienced the full swing yips your comments here have to be viewed with that filter. Just saying it's walking like a duck and looks a lot like a duck...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file