New-ish Clubs for my Kid (Advice Needed)

tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'll preface this: He's high-functioning autistic.

I'm torn ya'll. My kid loves to play, but he's struggling mightily with ball placement. No matter what we do he keeps placing every iron in the same place with predicable results. I even went so far as drawing the placement points on his shoe with a Sharpie and it's just not coming. Attention is an issue, but I tell him all you need is about 30 seconds of focus and remembering what club you're hitting. Nada. I've asked my pro if we should give one length a try and he said absolutely not. Another pro said the same. I get why they're saying that in a way, but all I see is that he can hit a 7-iron, but not much else. He's either chunking or topping, and after a lesson, he's good for about a couple days, then it's back to whatever he does.

I'm just looking for some opinions. Part of me is just saying, "f" it and get the Cobra's but when he gets that clarity he pounds the crap out of his Callaway XRs. Like I said, I'm torn. I want him to have fun with the game, not play for a scholarship or anything like that. Thx!

G410 9 Degree - Yonex Red
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Yonex Blue
G410 4-5 Hybrids - UST Recoil
G410 6-UW - Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
Glide 3.0 54ES, 58ES (Awaiting release) Yonex Proprietary Iron Shafts
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**

Comments

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@tbowles411 said:
    I'll preface this: He's high-functioning autistic.

I'm torn ya'll. My kid loves to play, but he's struggling mightily with ball placement. No matter what we do he keeps placing every iron in the same place with predicable results. I even went so far as drawing the placement points on his shoe with a Sharpie and it's just not coming. Attention is an issue, but I tell him all you need is about 30 seconds of focus and remembering what club you're hitting. Nada. I've asked my pro if we should give one length a try and he said absolutely not. Another pro said the same. I get why they're saying that in a way, but all I see is that he can hit a 7-iron, but not much else. He's either chunking or topping, and after a lesson, he's good for about a couple days, then it's back to whatever he does.

I'm just looking for some opinions. Part of me is just saying, "f" it and get the Cobra's but when he gets that clarity he pounds the crap out of his Callaway XRs. Like I said, I'm torn. I want him to have fun with the game, not play for a scholarship or anything like that. Thx!

Take him some where and swing them. Better yet, I would call Cobra and explain your situation. They may send you a demo of say a 5 iron to try out. Then you would know if they will work for him.

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,077 ClubWRX

I personally don't think that going with OL irons will help, especially long term. Where is he placing the ball each time? In my experience, ball position (unless it is way off) only exacerbates another underlying swing flaw. If you feel like ball position is it, have you tried using alignment rods? Form a T with the sticks and have the horizontal stick point to where you want him to have the ball. At least this will offer him a better visual aid prior to hitting.

• tbowles411tbowles411 ClubWRX Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:
    I personally don't think that going with OL irons will help, especially long term. Where is he placing the ball each time? In my experience, ball position (unless it is way off) only exacerbates another underlying swing flaw. If you feel like ball position is it, have you tried using alignment rods? Form a T with the sticks and have the horizontal stick point to where you want him to have the ball. At least this will offer him a better visual aid prior to hitting.

He's placing it where his 7-iron should be. With every iron it ends up there. I hadn't thought of alignment rods. Thanks!

Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    PING Bruzer
  • TripleBogeysrbetterTripleBogeysrbetter Members Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

@tbowles411 said:

@kekoa said:

He's placing it where his 7-iron should be. With every iron it ends up there. I hadn't thought of alignment rods. Thanks!

Alignment rod with marks or labels for each iron?

Something similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Spot-Improving-Distance-Simulators/dp/B07PBRHV73/ref=asc_df_B07PBRHV73/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343227706686&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7029723236262195247&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008156&hvtargid=pla-786071469518&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=68258019599&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343227706686&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7029723236262195247&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008156&hvtargid=pla-786071469518

Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
    Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
    Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
    Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
    Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
    Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
    Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
    Titleist AVX
  • kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,077 ClubWRX

@tbowles411 said:

@kekoa said:

So just front of center? I dont see this as an overall bad thing. **** I do this too.

@kekoa said:

@tbowles411 said:

@kekoa said:

So just front of center? I dont see this as an overall bad thing. **** I do this too.

He's not making contact though. If he were, I'd shut up. :smile:

Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    PING Bruzer

@TripleBogeysrbetter said:

@tbowles411 said:

@kekoa said:

Alignment rod with marks or labels for each iron?

Something similar to this.

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Spot-Improving-Distance-Simulators/dp/B07PBRHV73/ref=asc_df_B07PBRHV73/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343227706686&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7029723236262195247&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008156&hvtargid=pla-786071469518&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=68258019599&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343227706686&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7029723236262195247&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008156&hvtargid=pla-786071469518

I've never seen this before! Cool! Thank you!

Glide 2.0 54SS, 58 WS
    PING Bruzer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights