2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos Γ—

Leadbetter Calls Out Ko's Parents

Lets not pretend its only DL who sees this. Along with the story below you can listen nearly every week as the announcers dance around the topic and drop not so subtle hints about her life on and off the course and how oppressive it is and how its damaged her career. They arent the types so say such things lightly and they see the behind the scenes stuff at every tournament.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Gary Hermansson, the New Zealand team psychologist for the last five Olympic Games, met Ko in Rio last year. While he hasn't worked with her professionally, Hermansson has seen this type of situation develop between young athletes and their parents before.

Β 

He says the young athletes can sometimes bear a 'guilt' for the sacrifices their parents make as they grow in their chosen sport, with negative effects.

Β 

"People have been talking a lot about her being free to be herself rather than having the entourage or the family pressure on herβ€”but you'd want to look at ways to do that constructively, not where it's like you try to brutalise the parents and say 'keep out of this," Hermansson tells VICE NZ.

Β 

"You might want to manage that a bit better and educate the parents around what they might be saying or doing. A lot of it is very subtle."

Hermansson says that, along with giving Ko the space she needs to rediscover her basic enjoyment of golf, her camp's priority should be linking up with professional help to help her get things back on track.

Β 

https://www.vice.com/en_nz/article/vbm98m/remembering-the-time-lydia-kos-mum-gave-me-the-evils

Β 

Β 

http://www.koreadailyus.com/golf-daddy-light-and-shadow-of-korean-female-golfers/

Β 

Gyung-bin Lim, a commentator of JTBC Golf channel, has been living in the U.S. for 20 years and he analyzed Michelle Wie’s ups and downs. β€œWhen Michelle had a troubling slump, most of comments under her articles say that β€˜her father is still ruining her,’ or β€˜her parents should be away from her.’ I remember one of her games 3 Years ago, where she ended up with sloppy 4 putts on the green. She seemed very upset at something, which turned out to be something against her father. She was mad at her father’s constant reproach, so she showed her careless attitude by hitting almost 80 shots.” Lim also expressed concerns about Lydia Ko that she may follow Wie’s path, β€œEarly success, early burnout.”

Β 

β€œA slight change in the swing stance leads to a huge difference in playing golf. But Lydia changed everything – swing coach, caddie and clubs – at once. Her father started to worry about his daughter who statistically lost distance and accuracy recently, so he looked for an advice to improve her performance. But he should have left the decision up to experts”, said Lim.

Β 

β€œGolf daddies did so many great jobs in raising Korean golfers to top players in major international golf championships,” said Won Park, In Gee Chun’s mentor. β€œParents of professional golfers, they not only sacrifice for the children but also endure all the stresses, rumors, and obstacles around the golfer. That’s why these parents are so obsessive about reputation of their children. When a young golfer goes into a slump and starts to hear criticism, his or her parents get more emotional and recall the difficult times they had in the past.”

Β 

• Like 1

I saw this up close when she won the Dinah Shore. I believe she was coming off her break out season, world #1, and expected to win that tourney. I was there to watch her warmup, chipping, putting, driving range, before and after her round. Leadbetter was always around her, but mom was the only one talking to her on the putting green. She was very much instructing her daughter. The one single thing that Leadbetter told Ko was immediately challenged by mom. From what I could tell, mom straight up told her to forget what her coach just said, and Lydia consented.

Β 

When I saw Ko on the 17th tee (par 3), my first thought about her swing was that she has speed at the very bottom of her swing. It was a very efficient move. But it was obvious that she wasn’t ever going to be β€œlong.” She was straight and great inside 100 yards, and she made putts. It’s too bad that everything’s gone wrong. If I was her, I would’ve sniffed out my own parents as being overbearing and wrong. But I was raised differently.

See it all the time at my school. Had to make practices private for this reason. Most of the kids would love to have a couple games where mom and dad don't show up to breath down their necks, and give advice from the sidelines. My coaches would love it too. If only...

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic GoldΒ s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Ko and Wie should start a support group. There'd be a healthy membership form LPGA.

Β 

Hi, I'm XXXXX. I have Lead Poisoning. My parents were control freaks and money grabbers, they sent me to a Leadbetter Academy to destroy my game. I'm on the Seven Step programme to making cuts.

Β 

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi XΒ 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130XΒ +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400Β +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Β 

Β 

Β 

Funny, but where were these "destructive" parents when she was winning professional events as a 14 - 16 year old amateur, and climbing the World rankings? Were they sitting on the sidelines during her first full year on tour when she won 5 times? At the end of that season, did they say to themselves, "You know, this just isn't right! We gotta get in there and fix things!"

Β 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat)Β - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @TheInfidel said:

> Ko and Wie should start a support group. There'd be a healthy membership form LPGA.

>

> Hi, I'm XXXXX. I have Lead Poisoning. My parents were control freaks and money grabbers, they sent me to a Leadbetter Academy to destroy my game. I'm on the Seven Step programme to making cuts.

Β 

Look up the term Tiger parenting/tiger mom, Asian thing

> @"North Texas" said:

> Makes me think of something the noted philosopher Ron White once said. "I had the right to remain silent, I just did not have the ability to remain silent".

Β 

Light travels faster than sound. That's why an intelligent looking man can sound like an idiot when he opens his mouth.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat)Β - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Redjeep83 said:

> > @TheInfidel said:

> > Ko and Wie should start a support group. There'd be a healthy membership form LPGA.

> >

> > Hi, I'm XXXXX. I have Lead Poisoning. My parents were control freaks and money grabbers, they sent me to a Leadbetter Academy to destroy my game. I'm on the Seven Step programme to making cuts.

>

> Look up the term Tiger parenting/tiger mom, Asian thing

Β 

Just reading up on this. Completely oblivious.

Β 

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi XΒ 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130XΒ +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400Β +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

Β 

Β 

Β 

It's been almost three years, old man needs to let it go. And he only knew Lydia when she was a teen. Most parents tell their teen kids when to go to bed and what to eat and stuff like that. I would bet that Michelle's parents still have to nag her to take out the trash and stuff like that, and she turns **30** this year.

Lydia responded:

Β 

[https://golfchannel.com/news/lydia-ko-responds-david-leadbetter-comments-thank-you-haters](https://www.golfchannel.com/news/lydia-ko-responds-david-leadbetter-comments-thank-you-haters "https://golfchannel.com/news/lydia-ko-responds-david-leadbetter-comments-thank-you-haters")

"The 22-year-old Ko apparently doesn't agree. She posted a photo to her Instagram story on Tuesday along with the following: "Thank you to the haters for making me stronger and push me to be the best version of myself ... and thank you to each and every one that have supported me, your love makes a bump feel like a smooth ride."

Β 

Β 

> @Argonne69 said:

> Funny, but where were these "destructive" parents when she was winning professional events as a 14 - 16 year old amateur, and climbing the World rankings? Were they sitting on the sidelines during her first full year on tour when she won 5 times? At the end of that season, did they say to themselves, "You know, this just isn't right! We gotta get in there and fix things!"

>

You could try suggesting something similar to the Jackson 5. :)

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic GoldΒ s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Should never kick someone when they're down, although that can be a big motivator. Once I saw a fight outside a bar when I was a kid. One big guy pounded a little guy and got him to quit. Then instead of walking away, the big guy started gloating and taunting the little guy. Little guy got his wind back, got up and then knocked the tar (and teeth) out of the big guy. Big guy lays on the ground crying. Good life lesson.

> @"Les Strokes" said:

> Should never kick someone when they're down, although that can be a big motivator. Once I saw a fight outside a bar when I was a kid. One big guy pounded a little guy and got him to quit. Then instead of walking away, the big guy started gloating and taunting the little guy. Little guy got his wind back, got up and then knocked the tar (and teeth) out of the big guy. Big guy lays on the ground crying. Good life lesson.

I saw that fight too!

> @18majors said:

> Lydia responded:

>

> [https://golfchannel.com/news/lydia-ko-responds-david-leadbetter-comments-thank-you-haters](https://www.golfchannel.com/news/lydia-ko-responds-david-leadbetter-comments-thank-you-haters "https://golfchannel.com/news/lydia-ko-responds-david-leadbetter-comments-thank-you-haters")

> "The 22-year-old Ko apparently doesn't agree. She posted a photo to her Instagram story on Tuesday along with the following: "Thank you to the haters for making me stronger and push me to be the best version of myself ... and thank you to each and every one that have supported me, your love makes a bump feel like a smooth ride."

>

>

The term β€œhater” is such a cop out for kids these days. Oh they’re just a hater because they don’t agree with me instead of maybe taking some advice. Newsflash - you’re a child you don’t know everything

Β 

• Like 1

Back in Canada this week and as we know Lydia has had huge success there, all of us Kiwi's just want to see her back to her happy self.

I for one think the huge weight loss has impacted her leg drive, the swing looks similar and rhythmical but with no power at all, much like a slow motion practice swing and the ball happens to get in the way. Forgot the last 2 Tournaments, before that did well in the teams event and plenty of birdies in the previous weeks, had 13 under I see around this course last year and something similar would be a good week. Tournaments where 20 odd under par win she generally can't compete when giving up 40 to 50 yards off the tee.

Β 

> @"Mick Douglas" said:

> Back in Canada this week and as we know Lydia has had huge success there, all of us Kiwi's just want to see her back to her happy self.

> I for one think the huge weight loss has impacted her leg drive, the swing looks similar and rhythmical but with no power at all, much like a slow motion practice swing and the ball happens to get in the way. Forgot the last 2 Tournaments, before that did well in the teams event and plenty of birdies in the previous weeks, had 13 under I see around this course last year and something similar would be a good week. Tournaments where 20 odd under par win she generally can't compete when giving up 40 to 50 yards off the tee.

>

Β 

This is a new venue. Lydia has not played here previously (competitively). But, yes, she is popular in Canada!

> @"Golf Dino" said:

> > @"Mick Douglas" said:

> > Back in Canada this week and as we know Lydia has had huge success there, all of us Kiwi's just want to see her back to her happy self.

> > I for one think the huge weight loss has impacted her leg drive, the swing looks similar and rhythmical but with no power at all, much like a slow motion practice swing and the ball happens to get in the way. Forgot the last 2 Tournaments, before that did well in the teams event and plenty of birdies in the previous weeks, had 13 under I see around this course last year and something similar would be a good week. Tournaments where 20 odd under par win she generally can't compete when giving up 40 to 50 yards off the tee.

> >

>

> __________

> This is a new venue. Lydia has not played here previously (competitively). But, yes, she is popular in Canada!

Β 

Really, I looked up last years result on that amazingly accurate LPGA website !!!! And it had Magna course 2018..... my bad.

I see arvo tee time for her and with #1 ranked JY Ko, come on Lyd's be the best Ko this week.