Fantasy Football

 huckitchuckit ·  
huckitchuckithuckitchuckit California  104WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 104 Fairways
Joined:  in The 19th Hole #1

I've started researching for fantasy football, I think this year i'm going to go WR WR in first two round and then TE. UNLESS I have an early pick and McCaffery, Kamara, or Barkley are free. I made the mistake in drafting Bell last year and I think we all know how that turned out. Cant trust to draft Gordan or Zeke. Gonna try and get two WR1s then hopefully Ertz, Kelce, or Kittle. Then RB RB in 4 and 5. a lot of mid range WRs this year. My favorite young ones who I believe are going to shine are Chris Goodwin, Christain Kirk, and Dj Moore.

Posted:
«1
2

Comments

  • M44km44kM44km44k MO 151WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 151 Fairways
    Joined:  #2

    All depends on what pick you get. Still a fan of RB first round of you can. WR pop up all season as free agent finds so I never overload in the draft. Every winning season I've had consisted of a draft filled with RB depth.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • vrnynvrnyn Canada 322WRX Points: 71Handicap: 4.5Members Posts: 322 Greens
    Joined:  #3

    Also depends on what format, standard or PPR, I'd go WR,WR if its a PPR league

    Posted:
    M5 9.0* 
    915d 18*
    915d 21*
    716 AP2 4&5
    714 CB 6-P
    SM7 52-F,56-S
    SM6 60-K
    Futura X5
  • M44km44kM44km44k MO 151WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 151 Fairways
    Joined:  #4

    True true

    Posted:
  • birdie30birdie30  32WRX Points: 21Members Posts: 32 Bunkers
    Joined:  #5

    I think I'd still try to get Nick Chubb if I couldn't get the top three you mentioned (Barkley, Kamara, McCaffery)

    Posted:
  • DrOldSchoolDrOldSchool Noblesville, IN 628WRX Points: 317Handicap: 3.9Members Posts: 628 Golden Tee
    Joined:  edited Aug 25, 2019 #6

    I mentioned in the NFL thread that I am in 3 leagues. I've been thinking about downgrading for a while and after a draft experience today I am really leaning towards it after this season. My 3 leagues:

    • One I've ran for 19 years with friends. I'd keep this. half point PPR league, 1 keeper. Since I run it I am pretty comfortable with it, and I think the others are as well.

    • A dynasty league where I only know 1 other guy, but no drama really.

    • Third league is a salary cap league, and I've friends with about 3-4 of them, don't know the rest. This is the one with the problem. Every year the draft takes 7+ hours live. It's loud and noisy with 7-8 guys in a room plus dogs/wives/kids, and that's exacerbated since I do it via a web conference room/chat. We keep the salary cap on a google sheet and every year people forget to list their picks, or put things in "wrong" to always give them more cap space than they should have. Every year it devolves to an argument. Every year people need "Extra" picks because they can't keep track of the trades from the year prior. Most of them are frat bros who are 20+ years removed from college, and I'm not a frat guy, but they still tend to run together and let junk slide if they do it, and give each other favored trades.

    While I'm obviously frustrated with the cap guys, In the 5 previous seasons since I entered the league when they ran out of frat guys to invite I've never finished out of the money (top 3) with 2 titles. I just don't know if it's worth the hassle. Has anyone else ever quit a league like this that have a few friends in it? I just feel too old for the childish junk, and I'd rather be on the golf course on a nice August Saturday or with my wife/daughter than in a fight over FaceTime.

    Posted:
  • M44km44kM44km44k MO 151WRX Points: 73Members Posts: 151 Fairways
    Joined:  #7

    On -, @DrOldSchool said:

    I mentioned in the NFL thread that I am in 3 leagues. I've been thinking about downgrading for a while and after a draft experience today I am really leaning towards it after this season. My 3 leagues:
    • One I've ran for 19 years with friends. I'd keep this. half point PPR league, 1 keeper. Since I run it I am pretty comfortable with it, and I think the others are as well.

    • A dynasty league where I only know 1 other guy, but no drama really.

    • Third league is a salary cap league, and I've friends with about 3-4 of them, don't know the rest. This is the one with the problem. Every year the draft takes 7+ hours live. It's loud and noisy with 7-8 guys in a room plus dogs/wives/kids, and that's exacerbated since I do it via a web conference room/chat. We keep the salary cap on a google sheet and every year people forget to list their picks, or put things in "wrong" to always give them more cap space than they should have. Every year it devolves to an argument. Every year people need "Extra" picks because they can't keep track of the trades from the year prior. Most of them are frat bros who are 20+ years removed from college, and I'm not a frat guy, but they still tend to run together and let junk slide if they do it, and give each other favored trades.

    While I'm obviously frustrated with the cap guys, In the 5 previous seasons since I entered the league when they ran out of frat guys to invite I've never finished out of the money (top 3) with 2 titles. I just don't know if it's worth the hassle. Has anyone else ever quit a league like this that have a few friends in it? I just feel too old for the childish junk, and I'd rather be on the golf course on a nice August Saturday or with my wife/daughter than in a fight over FaceTime.

    Cut the cord! Fantasy football is so much better when you know and like everyone in the league. That league sounds like a total mess.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • SpicoliSpicoli  332WRX Points: 51Members Posts: 332 Greens
    Joined:  #8

    I pick 10 in 12man PPR. If David Johnson or Bell are there at 10, I'm going that way...

    Posted:
  • dmecca2dmecca2 Scranton, PA 193WRX Points: 167Handicap: +3Members Posts: 193 Fairways
    Joined:  #9

    I went WR WR TE in my league. Julio, Juju, Ertz. Not a big fan of my team after draft. Rb's will struggle and I'm gonna be heavily dependent on Ertz maintaining his workload.

    Posted:
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput  1587WRX Points: 339Handicap: 3.5Members Posts: 1,587 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #10

    I mentioned in another thread I have never done this before. We have 12 in the league, we draft 12 players excluding kicker and D. I took over a team and kept Gurley (rb) and DeAndre Hopkins (wr), I am thinking with the 6th pick I take a RB, then with 13th a WR. Each week we play 9. 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 QB, K, D, then a flex.
    Any thoughts?

    Posted:
  • Crazy About GolfCrazy About Golf  427WRX Points: 199Handicap: 1.1Members Posts: 427 Greens
    Joined:  #11

    On -, @birdie30 said:

    I think I'd still try to get Nick Chubb if I couldn't get the top three you mentioned (Barkley, Kamara, McCaffery)

    I picked up Chubb in round 2.....I think he's gonna have a monster year.

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Speedback 8 degree, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 in 6.5
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder in x-flex
    Mizuno MP18 3-PW, Dynamic Gold x-100
    Mizuno T7 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8 putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1
  • highergr0undhighergr0und  10248WRX Points: 290Members Posts: 10,248 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #12

    Chubb went first round in my draft, i think 6 or 7.... I had him last year and was not super high on him coming into the year. He only had a few 100 yard games and he gets tackled on so many runs for one yard gains. Little worried that with new weapons he won't see as many touches and then with Hunt coming in the second half of the season it'll be back by committee. Definitely grab Hunt in a later round to stash if you have Chubb.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • highergr0undhighergr0und  10248WRX Points: 290Members Posts: 10,248 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #13

    On -, @Petethreeput said:

    I mentioned in another thread I have never done this before. We have 12 in the league, we draft 12 players excluding kicker and D. I took over a team and kept Gurley (rb) and DeAndre Hopkins (wr), I am thinking with the 6th pick I take a RB, then with 13th a WR. Each week we play 9. 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 QB, K, D, then a flex.
    Any thoughts?

    See what is out there. I agree with the thought of RB at 6 as long as a quality one is there without over reaching but your next pick will likely not be 13, it'll be 19, assuming it's a snake draft where the last person in round one is the first pick in round 2 as the order reverses. Without knowing other players kept or other rules it's impossible to really formulate a strategy.

    Posted:
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput  1587WRX Points: 339Handicap: 3.5Members Posts: 1,587 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #14

    On -, @highergr0und said:

    On -, @Petethreeput said:

    I mentioned in another thread I have never done this before. We have 12 in the league, we draft 12 players excluding kicker and D. I took over a team and kept Gurley (rb) and DeAndre Hopkins (wr), I am thinking with the 6th pick I take a RB, then with 13th a WR. Each week we play 9. 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 QB, K, D, then a flex.
    Any thoughts?

    See what is out there. I agree with the thought of RB at 6 as long as a quality one is there without over reaching but your next pick will likely not be 13, it'll be 19, assuming it's a snake draft where the last person in round one is the first pick in round 2 as the order reverses. Without knowing other players kept or other rules it's impossible to really formulate a strategy.

    You are correct, i meant to say, 13 picks later. In my thinking the RB will produce more than a WR consistently, but like i said, I have never done this before so I wanted to get the combined information from those who know. Thank you for your help.

    Posted:
  • ceejay81ceejay81 Love that chicken from Popeyes! Washington, DC 2084WRX Points: 1,385Members Posts: 2,084 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #15

    I think it's okay going into a draft with a "plan" in mind, but you should absolutely draft best player available early on. The draft board runs out so differently live compared to mock drafts, there's just no need to reach for players. Also, don't worry about bye weeks. Just load up on great players and don't draft a defense or a kicker until the final 2 rounds.

    Had the number 1 pick in my full point ppr league last week (Saquon) and sort of had my mind made up that I wanted to go WR/WR in rounds 2 and 3. Each team has up to two keepers and I kept Derrick Henry (4th) and Chris Carson (9th lollll). There was a huge run on WR's in our first 2 rounds (13 total), but that left a stud like Dalvin Cook to fall to me. That was a mandatory scoop. Then I grabbed Brandin Cooks for round 3. My WR's are a little light (got DJ Moore in the 6th) but my RB's are money. That draft plays out quite differently if I don't go RB/RB first 2 picks.

    If you're drafting late in the first round, going WR/WR can pay dividends. A guy in the same league drafted 10th and got Tyreek and Julio...money start. He even got Mahomes late in the 3rd.

    Posted:
    Hive Tour Titles: 2
  • highergr0undhighergr0und  10248WRX Points: 290Members Posts: 10,248 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #16

    Yeah, I drafted 12 in a 12 man league this year..... I went Julio/Thomas with my first two picks to avoid reaching for a back. In a 0.5 PPR league those 2 receivers with their targets should give me a nice advantage. I picked up Carson/Jacobs on the way back and just have to hope one of them turns out to be a solid RB1.

    Posted:
  • DrOldSchoolDrOldSchool Noblesville, IN 628WRX Points: 317Handicap: 3.9Members Posts: 628 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #17

    Picked last in the draft tonight in the league I run. I never settled on a good strategy... was thinking of going WR-WR but when Bell was sitting there I had to take him with Julio. Have to hope Duke Johnson works out in Houston, or that Lat Murray is good in the old Ingram role in NO, or McCoy of 2011 shows up as my RB2... none of which I'm thrilled about.

    One guy in the league took 3 QBs (start 1 - Mahomes, Brady, Prescott) and only 2 RBs total - one of which is Gordon.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • PetethreeputPetethreeput  1587WRX Points: 339Handicap: 3.5Members Posts: 1,587 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #18

    “With average management” my team has a 4% chance of making the playoffs. It doesn’t look good right now.

    Posted:
  • huckitchuckithuckitchuckit California  104WRX Points: 45Members Posts: 104 Fairways
    Joined:  #19

    On -, @DrOldSchool said:

    One guy in the league took 3 QBs (start 1 - Mahomes, Brady, Prescott) and only 2 RBs total - one of which is Gordon.

    Sounds like you wont have to worry about that guy :D

    Posted:
  • Yanki01Yanki01 TEXAS 6391WRX Points: 535Handicap: 4.4Members Posts: 6,391 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #20

    ended up having to go WR WR with pick #4. didn't want to chance on Zeke so took Hopkins instead and feel confident.

    Posted:
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
    SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
    WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec
  • highergr0undhighergr0und  10248WRX Points: 290Members Posts: 10,248 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #21

    Oh man, week 1 and already a tough choice to make..... For flex, 0.5 ppr do I go James White vs Pit or Jarvis Landry vs Ten?

    Posted:
  • adam667220adam667220  927WRX Points: 143Members Posts: 927 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #22

    In a 10 team, single keeper league. Froze James Conner in the 8th round and then drafted Hopkins and Mixon with my first two picks. I was pleased with how it turned out.

    Posted:
    BC+ Driver 10.5°
    BC+ 5 wood 16°
    Adam Idea Super XTD hybrid 21°
    Callaway X2 Hot Irons 5-AW
    52°,56°, 60° wedges
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2cs
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • vaca22vaca22 Commander In Beef  690WRX Points: 116Members Posts: 690 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #23

    On -, @DrOldSchool said:

    Picked last in the draft tonight in the league I run. I never settled on a good strategy... was thinking of going WR-WR but when Bell was sitting there I had to take him with Julio. Have to hope Duke Johnson works out in Houston, or that Lat Murray is good in the old Ingram role in NO, or McCoy of 2011 shows up as my RB2... none of which I'm thrilled about.

    One guy in the league took 3 QBs (start 1 - Mahomes, Brady, Prescott) and only 2 RBs total - one of which is Gordon.

    I wasn't able to make the live draft for my league, so I selected players in what I thought was the order that I preferred...but I must have done something wrong. I somehow ended up with Mahomes, Mayfield and Goff for QBs and basically zero running backs, when I thought I had my first 5 picks set as RBs. :o\

    Posted:
  • DBLEAGLEDBLEAGLE  80WRX Points: 52Members Posts: 80 Fairways
    Joined:  #24

    I always like to go into draft with no set strategy. I feel RB are more valuable but only if you get them at good draft value. Don’t settle for lower tier RB or WR just because you are set on that strategy.

    Posted:
  • DrOldSchoolDrOldSchool Noblesville, IN 628WRX Points: 317Handicap: 3.9Members Posts: 628 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #25

    2-1 this week with my teams... wonder if John Ross is worth going after. Waller is available in 2 leagues as well, so going to target him. Anyone else to look at? Not a lot of surprise RBs out there, other than Brown with the Rams.

    Posted:
  • Crazy About GolfCrazy About Golf  427WRX Points: 199Handicap: 1.1Members Posts: 427 Greens
    Joined:  #26

    My FF team apparently didn't get the memo that this isn't the pre-season anymore.....half of them didn't show up to play!

    Posted:
    Cobra F9 Speedback 8 degree, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 in 6.5
    Mizuno CLK 16 degree hybrid, Fujikura Speeder in x-flex
    Mizuno MP18 3-PW, Dynamic Gold x-100
    Mizuno T7 52 degree, 56 degree, 60 degree
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8 putter
    ​Titleist Pro-V1
  • highergr0undhighergr0und  10248WRX Points: 290Members Posts: 10,248 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #27

    I snagged Hockenson and Ross off of waivers. I am kind of high on Hockenson and will see after another game or two depending on how the Rivers/Henry hookup starts paying off. If the Lions keep up the 9/10 targets a game to him it'll be awesome. But it was his first game.... I don't have a lot of hope for Ross. He caught 7/12 targets but he's never had more than 7 targets in a game besides last week. We'll see how the Green situation plays out and if he can keep up the targets the next few weeks. I typically avoid the big play guys because they're too hit or miss.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • DrOldSchoolDrOldSchool Noblesville, IN 628WRX Points: 317Handicap: 3.9Members Posts: 628 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #28

    Henry is out for a while again, left knee fracture. I did not get Ross, but was glad to see others blow a lot of their FAAB budget on him.

    Posted:
  • highergr0undhighergr0und  10248WRX Points: 290Members Posts: 10,248 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #29

    Wow.... Good thing I grabbed Hockenson..... Henry seems destined to be a talented guy that is going to lose his career to injuries

    Posted:
  • adam667220adam667220  927WRX Points: 143Members Posts: 927 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #30

    On -, @DrOldSchool said:

    2-1 this week with my teams... wonder if John Ross is worth going after. Waller is available in 2 leagues as well, so going to target him. Anyone else to look at? Not a lot of surprise RBs out there, other than Brown with the Rams.

    Crowder was available in my league. He had 14 catches on 17 targets and THEN they lost Enunwa for the season. He'll continue to get heavy targets.

    Posted:
    BC+ Driver 10.5°
    BC+ 5 wood 16°
    Adam Idea Super XTD hybrid 21°
    Callaway X2 Hot Irons 5-AW
    52°,56°, 60° wedges
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2cs
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • sford31sford31  42WRX Points: 26Members Posts: 42 Bunkers
    Joined:  #31

    Hoping my holding off on rb's for marlon mack and austin ekelar pay off. More and more players seem to bne actually holding out for contracts for lenghty amounts of missed game time so crossing my fingers that Gordon has no desire to come back.

    Posted:
2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.