Golfnow.com vs Calling the course

Hey All,

Now that Golfnow is charging $199 per year, what's your experience been just calling the courses vs using Golfnow? Do you recoup the $199 if you use Golfnow?

WITB:
Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9 - HZRDUS T110

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Fubuki J 70[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° [/font]- Aldila Green X
Hybrid: Callaway Rogue[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° - [/font]
Irons: Titliest AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour C-Taper S
Wedges: Titliest SM6 50 Degree F Grind, Titliest SM6 54 Degree F Grind, Callaway 60 Degree PM Grind

Putter(s): Odyssey Exo Seven S 33 Inch
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft

Comments

• Soloman1Soloman1 Members Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's if you choose to become a "VIP member." It's an option and not required.

I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • 86020818602081 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on how often you're using golfnow..
    If it's once a month.. no not worth it..
    Every week.. probably..

• DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

I’ve got a buddy who did it for a year and said he wouldn’t do it again. I think it really only makes sense if you’re using it weekly, but I’m not 100% sure. I only use it a hand full of times a year - I just call the course. Are there benefits I’m missing by not booking through golf now?

• playar32playar32 Members Posts: 299 ✭✭✭✭

I have found a couple of discrepancies between the normal rates of the course and what golfnow charges. Hotdeals are better rates, but why pay golfnow a fee. Most courses have a golfnow type technology on their website anyway.

I remember when it use to a scaling type price on golfnow, unbooked tee times are cheaper the closer it got to the tee time. They should bring that back.

• hgtiger24hgtiger24 Members Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

As someone that took tee times at a top 100 course, golf now was fine, but i'd prefer you just call the shop/book on the portal online. If theres a hot deal, call up the shop and say "hey, golf now has a hot deal, i'd book through there, but can you give me the same one?" 9/10 times i'd say absolutely. theres a few situations that it doesnt work, but those are pretty rare. I know after 2:00 it was more expensive to book on golfnow than to just call the course anyways.

• SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd call the course...last time I used golfnow we booked a course that unbeknownst to me was effectively closed, old silo Kentucky now perma closed. The club house had been closed since the previous fall and some maintenance guy came out and took our money, had to pay cash.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

On the few occasions I play somewhere other than my club, I just call the course and book directly. I frankly can't see what value GolfNow offers to an occasional public-course player like myself.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I got bit the other way on vacation once. Found the golfnow price online and instead of booking it I went down to the course thinking surely I will get as good or better price by actually being there. Wrong. I got charged rack rate and guy at register wouldn't/couldn't come off price to match the golfnow price. Irritated but I still played.

In hindsight a phone call to the course is the way to go IMO.

• tjbluetjblue Members Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@smashdn said:
    I got bit the other way on vacation once. Found the golfnow price online and instead of booking it I went down to the course thinking surely I will get as good or better price by actually being there. Wrong. I got charged rack rate and guy at register wouldn't/couldn't come off price to match the golfnow price. Irritated but I still played.

Forget courses not matching golfnow rates....I've had courses refuse to charge me the same posted rate on their own site. Their response...you have to book it on our website to get the lower rate.

• ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@tjblue said:

@smashdn said:

Forget courses not matching golfnow rates....I've had courses refuse to charge me the same posted rate on their own site. Their response...you have to book it on our website to get the lower rate.

Pull out your phone and do it then. I've done that a couple times, right in front of the person at the desk.

--kC

Callaway Rogue 10.5 / Callaway Rogue 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD4 52*, 58*, 64*
  • GreggapGreggap Members Posts: 32 ✭✭

I called around to three courses, none of them was close to the Golfnow price for a similar prized tee time, it ranged for $10-20 difference, so if you play a lot Golfnow is probably worth it, especially if you use the Hot Deals.

WITB:
    Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9 - HZRDUS T110

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Fubuki J 70[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° [/font]- Aldila Green X
    Hybrid: Callaway Rogue[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° - [/font]
    Irons: Titliest AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour C-Taper S
    Wedges: Titliest SM6 50 Degree F Grind, Titliest SM6 54 Degree F Grind, Callaway 60 Degree PM Grind

Putter(s): Odyssey Exo Seven S 33 Inch
    Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft
  • Wander BreadWander Bread Members Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

I pay the $100 for the VIP, but I play about 40-50 rounds a year (and a lot of them with my wife) so the convenience fees getting waived add up to way more than $100, plus i get the hot deals and $10 rewards on those hot deals to get some really cheap rounds if I am able to play at the times the hot deals are posted. Unless you are booking a lot of tee times I wouldn't pay the VIP fee.

• BrennanfBrennanf Members Posts: 66 ✭✭

Seem to do ok as a non VIP locally. Playing tomorrow for 30 from golfnow

• CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file