Golf Trip Question

I want to do something that involves playing 2-3 over the course of 2 days. The courses are within 1 to 1.75 hours of each other and about that distance away from home. Sleeping would be done in vrbo mountain cabin homes.
I wanted to get y’alls input on golf trips like this versus a resort style trip—one course played a few times over a couple days, 2 nights at the same hotel etc.
Just curious to see what has been the most interesting and fun in yalls opinions. Thanks!

Comments

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Another option is a resort with a lot of courses like, say, Pinehurst. They’ve got 9 courses on site with another 20 or so nearby. As far as accommodations go, you might stay in the same room every night, but you’ll never eat in the same restaurant twice, if you don’t want to. An idealized way to do this if you’re traveling solo. Is to attend one of their schools. That’s how I do it.

• FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Opinions will vary.

• davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My general preferences for golf trips are these:
    1. I hate to pack and unpack, so I prefer a single base of operations whenever possible
    2. I have no problem playing a really good golf course twice on the same trip, but I also like some variety.
    3. I don't mind a big resort hotel, but I prefer a smaller inn, or B&B in the UK if its an option. I have no problem with a VRBO-type house rental.

• RJ_MJ_JJRJ_MJ_JJ Members Posts: 56 ✭✭

@davep043 said:
    My general preferences for golf trips are these:
    1. I hate to pack and unpack, so I prefer a single base of operations whenever possible
    2. I have no problem playing a really good golf course twice on the same trip, but I also like some variety.
    3. I don't mind a big resort hotel, but I prefer a smaller inn, or B&B in the UK if its an option. I have no problem with a VRBO-type house rental.

Agree on all of that. Depending on how many people are in your group, some of the UK town pubs have a B&B upstairs above the bar. You get to enjoy the local (friendly) atmosphere in the evening, then in the morning, the owners usually serve you breakfast in the pub (that's closed at that point). Cool experience and an opportunity to get to know folks from a world away (assuming you live in the states, I guess...). Check out the towns of Sandwich and Deal in the Southeast UK right on the Dover Strait. Cinque Ports, Princes, and Royal St George's are right there. All three are former or current British Open tracks. Real golf treasures there.

GHIN = ~5
    -WITB-
    DRIVER: Cobra F7+ 9.5 degrees w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5-75g
    DRIVING IRON: Mizuno FLI HI 2i w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1
    IRONS: Ping i210 Irons 3-P w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+, hard step +1, blue dot
    WEDGES: Vokey SM7 Wedges, 50, 54, 58 - w/ KBS C Taper 125 S+
    PUTTER: Ping Sigma G KUSHIN w/ lots of lead tape
    BALL: Bridgestone Tour B330
    GRIPS: Winn Dri Tac - MIDSIZE

• huckitchuckithuckitchuckit Members Posts: 74 ✭✭

Golf resorts that include packages. They usually set you up with a few rounds on different courses.

• buckets on bucketsbuckets on buckets Members Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

If Bandon Dunes is an option, go there! It's golf heaven...completely isolated and just pure, great golf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file