2019 US Women's Amateur

preiter20preiter20 Members Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

Round of 64 today. Lucy Li wins 5 and 4 and effectively shoots 7 under. Alexa Pano wins 5 and 4. Sierra Brooks lost 2 and 1. Forgot it was going on this week.

Comments

• oldschooltarheeloldschooltarheel Members Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

Grateful FS1 supports amateur golf

• Argonne69Argonne69 Members Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Shocked that Yuka Saso lost in the first round of match play. 'Pity that Sierra had to play Albane in the first round. Sierra could have made a deep run.

Lucy looked very solid after barely squeaking into match play.

• 18majors18majors Members Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Argonne69 said:
    Shocked that Yuka Saso lost in the first round of match play. 'Pity that Sierra had to play Albane in the first round. Sierra could have made a deep run.

Yuka Saso drives like Rory McIlroy; including two way misses from time to time.

• ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,829 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@oldschooltarheel said:

They do-by necessity-part of getting the contract for the men's US Open is the "opportunity" to televise the major amateur USGA events.

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • fanofserifanofseri Members Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

I'm pulling for Andrea Lee. Her reputation since she was a child at driving ranges and golf courses throughout Southern California is beyond reproach.

• mallratmallrat Members Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lucy Li played a tourney at my course last week and didn’t play well at all. Surprised to see her play well. Our course is not very tough or long.

@mallrat said:
    Lucy Li played a tourney at my course last week and didn’t play well at all. Surprised to see her play well. Our course is not very tough or long.

She was off for quite some time with a thumb injury. 'Seems she's slowly getting back into form.

• Enduro59Enduro59 Members Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

@Argonne69 said:

@mallrat said:

She was off for quite some time with a thumb injury. 'Seems she's slowly getting back into form.

I wonder if it was the thumb of the arm she wears her wrist watch on? If she wears a watch I mean.

• NewinupNewinup Members Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited Aug 8, 2019 10:20pm #10

@18majors said:

@Argonne69 said:

Yuka Saso drives like Rory McIlroy; including two way misses from time to time.

Yes when Yuka gets into a "funk", she seems to make consecutive misses... Not saying she's Jon Rahmish, she has that tendency to get frustrated and needs to reign it from time to time... that will come as she keeps gaining experience. In the Asian games, it actually went the "other way" as she led the Philippines from 3rd in team competitions from day 3, to a golf medal finish for the country. She also got individual gold and the emotions worked for them on the positive side as putts were rolling in from 20 ft... With Yuka out, I'm rooting for Pimnipa in this tournament :)

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Shilgy said:

@oldschooltarheel said:

They do-by necessity-part of getting the contract for the men's US Open is the "opportunity" to televise the major amateur USGA events.

For sure, but they do a nice job anyway.

• North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Enduro59 said:

@Argonne69 said:

@mallrat said:

I wonder if it was the thumb of the arm she wears her wrist watch on? If she wears a watch I mean.

Yea, the thumb injury sure seemed to come at a "convenient" time for both her and the USGA, wink-wink.

Lucy may not be big, but she packs a big punch.

• PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,530 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Who does Haney got?

R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport

Andrea Lee won her heavyweight battle with Alexa Pano on 23rd hole.
    This has been a high quality match; both deserve to win and both could've gone all the way.

• ShilgyShilgy PhoenixMembers Posts: 11,829 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@18majors said:
    Andrea Lee won her heavyweight battle with Alexa Pano on 23rd hole.
    This has been a high quality match; both deserve to win and both could've gone all the way.

They just said Pano made just two bogeys all day. 41 holes. That's a tough way to lose.

WITB
    Tools for the job!

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened . :)

Game is recovering from total ankle replacement. Getting there and glad to be pain free!
  • 78Staff78Staff Members Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 9, 2019 1:24am #18

yep I just happened to see it on the DVR guide so have been recording it. Li shouldn't even be out there - imo the USGA caved on the Apple deal - she's the current darling so will be treated with kid gloves - same as Wie WD'ing so she wouldn't shoot 88 and loose here ability to play LPGA as non-member under the advise of the LPGA/Nike Bobbleheads back in the day... Wunderkids just get treated different.

Sorry to see Sierra out so soon - being semi-local and playing college golf right down the road. That might have been the match of the tournament.

Also Fox never seems to figure out these event always run past allotted time :(.

I thought Pano was going to win today... She played lights out all day...all week basically. She will be a force going forward I suspect, and in a few years become the next american "it" girl for the LPGA I'm sure.

Some matches definitely flipped late in the rd. of 16. Ruffles, Valenzeula, and Caneles looked strong, Li and Lee not so much. But tomorrow is another day, so you never know.
    My take for tomorrow
    Lee over Li
    Caneles over Ganne
    Valenzuela over Semanurafa (also strong today)
    Ruffels over Wright

917D3 9.5* Fuji Pro TS 74
    917F3 15*  Fuji Pro TS 84
    816H1 19* Evenflow Black 85
    AP2 4-W NS Pro Modus3 130
    TVD 56M S200
    Cameron Fastback 2
  • preiter20preiter20 Members Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

Lucy Li won her round of 32 match 5-4 and round of 16, 2-1.

Did they show any highlights from the Round of 32? Did they show the brackets? Did I manage to not record coverage from the earlier round? Sheesh.

'Pity that Alexa and Andrea had to play each other so soon. That was a great match.

• fanofserifanofseri Members Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

The US Am. is the best tournament in golf. Heartbreaking loss for young Pano but she has a couple more chances before she turns pro. No way she'll bother with college. Soon she'll be playing in garden spots like Rogers Arkansas, Oneida Wisconsin & Grand Rapids Michigan.

• LEE6LEE6 Members Posts: 3

Hopefully, we'll have another good match between Li vs Lee. LOL...

edited Aug 9, 2019 2:37pm #23

I loved the pace of play. No farting around. Of course, with a heat index over 100, who wants to be out there for 5 hours?

Was I imagining things, or does Lucy play without a glove?

Post edited by Argonne69 on
  • JDee1935JDee1935 Members Posts: 17 ✭✭

The Andrea Lee, Alexa Pano match was epic and riveting. Both players firing birdies all day on a very difficult track. Saw some incredible skill sets out there. People now forget Pano is only 14 years old and plays like that. Maybe the best I've seen in long long time.

edited Aug 9, 2019 3:25pm #25

Andrea Lee hammered Lucy Li 6 and 5 in quarterfinal; a good lesson that'll benefit Lucy forever.

Is Lucy as tall as Andrea?

@18majors said:
    Is Lucy as tall as Andrea?

I don't think so. Lucy has grown recently, but she's still very short.

• PZeroPZero Members Posts: 11,530 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Alexa Pano will be a big star on the LPGA Tour. The next Lexi

R11s 9° Whiteboad 63S
    Titleist 913F 15°
    TM R9 19°
    Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW
    Vokey TVD 56°, SM5 60°
    Studio Select Newport
    edited Aug 9, 2019 11:11pm #29

Too bad, I missed this match.

Raised by tennis pros, U.S. Women's Amateur semifinalist Gabriela Ruffels chose golf instead

https://golfweek.com/2019/08/09/golf-gabriela-ruffels-us-womens-amateur-semifinals/
    "She jumped to an early lead over Kenzie Wright with a birdie on the first hole, but Wright came to play and gave Ruffels the longest match she’s had so far at the U.S. Women’s Amateur.
    Every hole that was won in the quarterfinal match was claimed with a birdie— it just came down to whom could record the most. At the 15th hole, Ruffels was 1 down and playing Old Waverly Golf Club’s final three holes for the first time since stroke play. That’s when the 19-year-old Ruffels knew she had to do “something special” as she reached the 15th hole.
    She did. Ruffels finished her round with three straight birdies, earning a 2-and-1 win and a spot in the semifinal round."

Andrea's putter was on fire today. Not much Lucy could do.

• KaysquareKaysquare Puppyluv Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love watching match play. Juli & Brad are doing a great job...they are good together.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file