7 wood?

LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've been playing D-3w-3i crossover-4 iron. 97mph SS. No problems hitting the 3W or 5 iron off tee or turf. Love the 3i crossover off tee but struggle with it off turf. Can hit the 4i fine off tee and while I can hit it off turf, I can't hit it high enough with enough spin to hold a green. Replaced the 3i crossover with 5 wood and used it a couple days ago to carry a pond and land on a green on a par 5. No way I could do that with the 3i or 4i. Got me to thinking I should replace the 4 iron with something. Hit my 5 iron 175 yds and the 5w 205 yds. I hate hybrids. They go left. Have no confidence in them. Rather try a 7 w to fill the gap at 190yds. Would like to avoid adjustable woods. I hit the ball straight and no problems making contact but I do use a lot of clubface so forgiving is needed. I tried a 7w a few years. A Nike SQ with steel shaft and it went out 170 yds and spun like crazy. Just ballooned straight up in the air. Any recommendations?

Comments

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Do it. Or get a higher lofted 5 wood or Callaway heaven wood. Just make sure you get one that goes straight. Some fairways these days hook like hybrids.

Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w, Ping G410 7 wood
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, Vokey M Grind 58
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Jones Utility
    ProV1x
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dlygrisse said:
    Do it. Or get a higher lofted 5 wood or Callaway heaven wood. Just make sure you get one that goes straight. Some fairways these days hook like hybrids.

I looked at some "7 woods" One was 20° and another was 24°. Crazy.

• chadly643chadly643 Members Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Titleist or Ping are great places to start. Being able to adjust the lie angle is a huge advantage for those that fear missing left.

• MooMoo Members Posts: 388 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 8, 2019 2:16am #5

Love my 21 degree Titleist 915 7 wood. Easy to hit. It goes high and lands soft. I've learned to grip down on it to give me a 195 club and to grip it regular to give me 205 to 210. I've found the Callaway stuff, like the Epic and the Rogue, are extremely easy to hit also.
    Forgot...it's my go to club for heavy rough. I find the Titleist head just cuts through the heavy stuff and the high loft gets the ball up and on-line to the target. I prefer to hit my 5 for distance, but in the rough I'll give up a little and use the 7 to get the solid ball advancement.

Driver TS2 (first driver in 9 years that could out the trusty 910 D2)
    Ping i3+ Blades (backup set Mizuno MP 54 P-4 which are now in cold storage until the end of time)
    Rogue 3 wood with Evenflow Blue (so easy to hit high and long...Evenflow rules!)
    Rogue 5 wood with Evenflow Blue
    Titleist 915 F 7 wood (the incredible Hedgehog...there is no turf that can stop the Hedgehog!)
    Miura 56 K
    Vokey gap and 62 M
    Ping Vault Ketsch 2.0
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am in season No. 8 of 4W + 7W. For you, a 3W + 5W + 7W might be the ticket.
    A 7W blows the ball out of medium rough like a rocket, and can also get some bite on fairway approaches and longish Par 3 holes.

Note that the Heavenwood is its own animal. The Callaway Rogue variant has 20* loft and 42.75" shaft; the Rogue 7W has 21* loft and a 42" shaft. You might be able to swap out the Heavenwood for the 5W, and choke down to shave off yardage.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Love me some lofted woods. Shorter length, heavy build....yes, please.

Titleist 915D3 9.5
    Titleist 917Fd @ 14.25
    Mizuno Clk 19, 22
    Titleist 716mb 4-Pw
    Vokey SM7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 8
    Titleist ProV1

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've also gone to a 4-wood (16.5) / 7-wood (21) combo. I do have a decent gap (15-20 yards) between my 5-iron (25*, ~180 yards) and 7-wood (195-200 yards) but so far I feel like I can still get enough height out of the 7 wood when swinging a bit easier.

I do miss a hybrid for bad lies in the rough / sidehill lies. I think the shorter shaft and smaller clubhead is marginally better for these situations.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • Johnny_FairwayJohnny_Fairway South Jersey (Philly Burbs)Members Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

I play a 7 wood at 24° with a 41.5" steel shaft. We have a par 3 that plays around 190 yds, and it's my go to for that shot and other long approaches.

• No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ChipNRun said:
    A 7W blows the ball out of medium rough like a rocket, and can also get some bite on fairway approaches and longish Par 3 holes.

Same set-up for me: Driver, 4w, 7w. The 7w is a 21* Taylormade V-steel. As you said, good from medium rough, stops pretty well from the fairway, and I'd add one more: eminently playable from shallow fairway bunkers! Also works fine off the tee.
    To the OP, you might have to play around to find the right shaft, but the 7w is a great club to have in the bag. I think of it like an old 5w from the persimmon days.
    After the 7w, I either drop down to a 4i or, more often these days, a 24* hybrid. I also keep a 24* V-steel 9w around and use it occasionally as well.

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 6:54am #11

I'm really happy with my current bag but have a nagging voice in the back of my head saying swap 3i for 7 wood. Never got on with hybrids, and need a club that is straight but still high and lands soft.
    Would a 7w with a steel shaft be a good compromise?

Edit: was browsing the second hand bin today an found a mint Cally X 7w with a fujikura in reg for $50, which in Australia is an absolute bargain.
    Straight in the bag for my 3i, will play it this weekend. Really looking forward to seeing the flight, should be able to hold more greens.

Post edited by playa on
  • steventanksteventank Members Posts: 4

I am in same speed, distance as you, also my hybrids goes left, untill i get an old steelhead iii 7 wood. use that way more than 4i. nowdays, i tend to leave the 3w in the car, carry 7w and 4i, give me more option around 190 in different condition

Mizuno ST 180, project X even flow black 5.5
    Callaway steelhead iii 3.5.7 PX blue 5.5 / Callaway razr 3 iron
    Mizuno Jpx 900 forged 5-P, modus 105s
    Mizuno t5 52 60, vokey sm5 56 kbs hi-rev s
    Odyssey 7
    inesis 900 tour

• grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@No_Catchy_Nickname said:

@ChipNRun said:

Same set-up for me: Driver, 4w, 7w. The 7w is a 21* Taylormade V-steel. As you said, good from medium rough, stops pretty well from the fairway, and I'd add one more: eminently playable from shallow fairway bunkers! Also works fine off the tee.
    To the OP, you might have to play around to find the right shaft, but the 7w is a great club to have in the bag. I think of it like an old 5w from the persimmon days.
    After the 7w, I either drop down to a 4i or, more often these days, a 24* hybrid. I also keep a 24* V-steel 9w around and use it occasionally as well.

TM V-Steel 7 wood is a great club.

• mootrailmootrail Members Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 8, 2019 6:35am #14

Two problems and you mentioned one, the high flight, and in the wind, it's a killer. The other is finding an off the shelf 7 wood in other then Senior flex. I tried to find a Cally Steelhead XR 7 in Stiff some time back and it was a Unicorn search. Unless you're willing to pay full boat, a decent shaft is going to be hard to come by.

Post edited by mootrail on
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@grm24 said:

@No_Catchy_Nickname said:

@ChipNRun said:

TM V-Steel 7 wood is a great club.

Yep, I can't see it leaving the bag. It does everything I want and more.> @mootrail said:

Two problems and you mentioned one, the high flight, and in the wind, it's a killer. The other is finding an off the shelf 7 wood in other then Senior flex. I tried to find a Cally Steelhead 7 in Stiff some time back and it was a Unicorn search. Unless you're willing to pay full boat, a decent shaft is going to be hard to come by.

The high flight can be one of the advantages, but you're right that a 7 wood is not deal in windy conditions. A lower flighted hybrid or, if you can hit them, a driving iron would be better, but overall a driving iron doesn't have the versatility of the 7w.
    As for the shaft problems, that's also a good point. However, it's not that expensive to put in an older, heavier shaft. I spent about $60 getting a heavier shaft put in my V-steel 9w, though my shaft for the 7w was a bit more expensive (I bought it second hand for about $90~100, which included the install). Worth it in my opinion.

Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Wilson fg-62 S300 4/5-PW or MP4 Yoro Modus 125X 5-PW
    Wedges: Callaway MD2 T-grind combination of 52*, 56*, 58*, 60*
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • 596596 Lakeland, FLMembers Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just watch the loft. Be sure it matches your gap. I play 2 sets of clubs, one with a 21.5* 7 wood and one with a 23* 7 wood.

• joljol Members Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My Callaway XR16 7 wood is my favorite club in my bag. I can hit it straight, draw it and cut it (little more effort) on command. It’s a perfect club for several par 3’s on my home course where you need to carry a water hazard and are around 200 yards out. If you can find one, try it. I’ve looked for a backup and didn’t have any luck.
    As for hybrids, I had the same issue until I tried the new Ping G410. With an adjustable hosel, I can flatten the lie which for me helps with the “hooks”. The launch is also surprisingly high.

• MilfordleftyMilfordlefty Members Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of the OEM woods back a few generations are adjustable for loft. A Ping G400 7 wood has 20.5° std and can be adjusted 0.6 and 1.0 degrees stronger or weaker (this also changes the face angle) as an example. Hit a store with a hitting bay or range and ask them to crank up or down to see effect for fade/draw and height/distance differences.

Driver - Ping G400 Max 11° (small +), Alta CB R flex, stock length
    FW - Ping G400 5W, 16.9° (small -), Alta CB R flex, stock length
    Hybrid - Ping G400 4H, 22°, Alta CB R flex, stock length
    Hybrid - Ping G400 5H, 26º, Alta CB R flex, stock length
    Irons - Ping G20 6-GW, CFS steel R, Black dot lie, std length
                            (Pinhawk 6-GW, FST 90 R, 8i length in bag 7/31/19)

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth, 56° Black dot lie angle, std length
    Putter - Original Odyssey #7 XG w/ SuperStroke Flatso 2.0, red paint by Continental Golf
  • mikshanmikshan Members Posts: 198 ✭✭✭

I bought a used Biocell 5-7 wood for like 30 dollars and it’s my go to club for long par 3’s and longer shots out of deep rough. Gets the ball high enough so the ball lands softer.

• myspinonitmyspinonit Members Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Milfordlefty said:
    Many of the OEM woods back a few generations are adjustable for loft. A Ping G400 7 wood has 20.5° std and can be adjusted 0.6 and 1.0 degrees stronger or weaker (this also changes the face angle) as an example. Hit a store with a hitting bay or range and ask them to crank up or down to see effect for fade/draw and height/distance differences.

I'm a much slower swinger but love the Ping G 7 wood and now the G 5w, both cranked fully open that makes them more like 5 and 4W lofts l guess (plus the open setting reduces the lefts that I think the G fairways may be prone to deliver). Though the OP might not be able to find a stock G or 400 in stiff, he may be able to find a head and get a stiff shaft with adapter at a good price?

Ping G400 SFT Driver 12° Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi 60 R
    Ping G 5 Wood 17.5° (@ large minus ) Alta 65 R
    Ping G 7 wood 20.5°( @ large minus ) Alta 65 R
    Ping G hybrids 22° & 26° Alta 70 R
    Miura PP9003 6-PW Steelfiber i70 A
    Vokey SM6 49.07F ; SM4 54.11M & 58.09S Steelfiber i80 R
    Ping Sigma 2 Fetch
    Backup Putter: White Steel 2 Ball 34"- Spry Evo custom with aircraft aluminum insert
    Ball: Srixon QStar Tour

• gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Love my Ping G25 5-wood and 7-wood.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • grm24grm24 Western PAMembers Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@596 said:
    Just watch the loft. Be sure it matches your gap. I play 2 sets of clubs, one with a 21.5* 7 wood and one with a 23* 7 wood.

I know a guy that still plays this "7" wood. Hits it great.

• rocketmuttrocketmutt Members Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

I am going this same route, never hit the hybrid consistent enough and just picked up a 7 wood to try out the same theory. Haven't hit it yet but I am very optimistic about the results, I have always hit fairways well.

• txgolfer45txgolfer45 Members Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

Get a 7 wood. I bought a Callaway Epic Flash and adjusted the loft to 20 degrees. I added a Callaway Big Bertha 4i hybrid and changed the loft to 23 degrees. Love both of them.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft
    Fairway woods: Taylormade RBZ 3HL, Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood
    Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i
    Irons: Taylormade Tour Preferred CB 6-AW, DG XP R shaft
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 56 and 60 degree
    Putter: Vons SS398

• texcellence86texcellence86 Funky Town, TXMembers Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

More of a "gap/loft" thing for me. I go 16.5* 20.8* & a D-4i. Never could get along with a 3i or a 3H. My 4i is great off the tee and deck so from that down to the 60* was set. Messed around a while with 5w/7w and loved the window the 7w hits off the tee and deck. Found the head and shaft combo I love and now I don't think I will ever get rid of it. You should definitely go with the 7w.

M2 10.5 AD-MDQ 7X
    M2T 16.5 ilima 80X
    M1 19 Diamana S 93X
    MP-H5 4i Recoil PROTO 100F5
    5-PW 716 CB AMT S400
    52.F 56.S 60.V SM6 DG S400
    Black Series 1W
  • BuzzkillBuzzkill Marshals Posts: 6,897 mod

@LeoLeo99 said:
    I've been playing D-3w-3i crossover-4 iron. 97mph SS. No problems hitting the 3W or 5 iron off tee or turf. Love the 3i crossover off tee but struggle with it off turf. Can hit the 4i fine off tee and while I can hit it off turf, I can't hit it high enough with enough spin to hold a green. Replaced the 3i crossover with 5 wood and used it a couple days ago to carry a pond and land on a green on a par 5. No way I could do that with the 3i or 4i. Got me to thinking I should replace the 4 iron with something. Hit my 5 iron 175 yds and the 5w 205 yds. I hate hybrids. They go left. Have no confidence in them. Rather try a 7 w to fill the gap at 190yds. Would like to avoid adjustable woods. I hit the ball straight and no problems making contact but I do use a lot of clubface so forgiving is needed. I tried a 7w a few years. A Nike SQ with steel shaft and it went out 170 yds and spun like crazy. Just ballooned straight up in the air. Any recommendations?

I got a 7 wood (23 deg) to fill in gap between my 5 wood and 5 iron BUT it flew farther than expected - my 5 iron is good for 170, 5 wood 210 and 7 wood 200. I put the 7 wood up for now but will eventually cut off at least 2 inches so it'll play 190 max!

WITB - Cobra, Taylormade & Titleist
    Handicap:  3
  • Bob CatBob Cat Golfopath Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My TM R580 7 wood is my money maker.
    I can hit it around 200 to 220 yards depending on ball position and swing. Can land a 200 yd shot like a butterfly with sore feet. Love it.

"I challenge, transform, and instill confidence in young men through the life lessons learned from the game of golf."

Taylormade M1
    TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black
    Titleist AVX
    Sun Mountain Four 5
    Clicgear 3.5+
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Buzzkill said:

@LeoLeo99 said:

I got a 7 wood (23 deg) to fill in gap between my 5 wood and 5 iron BUT it flew farther than expected - my 5 iron is good for 170, 5 wood 210 and 7 wood 200. I put the 7 wood up for now but will eventually cut off at least 2 inches so it'll play 190 max!

Good point. I purposely use a "mediocre" 5 wood that doesn't go too far. I rented clubs a couple years ago on vacation. Callaways. Had 210 to the middle of the green over a pond. 200 to the front and 220 to the back of the green. My 5 wood would be perfect. The Callaway 5 wood airmailed the entire green and the knoll behind the green. Great club but it went too far.

• prospect026prospect026 Members Posts: 30 ✭✭

Agreed. Can’t go wrong with the Titleist. I love my 915f 7 wood.

@chadly643 said:
    Titleist or Ping are great places to start. Being able to adjust the lie angle is a huge advantage for those that fear missing left.

• zoned_post_meridiemzoned_post_meridiem Members Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

I bought a Cobra f9 7w this year. Favorite club in the bag.

• aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

My TS2 7W is maybe my favorite club in the bag. I get around 200-210 off the tee - playing it forward, it'll roll out nicely. Play it back a little in the fairway and it'll launch high and stop super quick. Great out of the rough as it just smashes the grass down and won't twist like an iron and doesn't lose much distance.

It's also great for long runners under tree limbs on days my driver isn't cooperating. Just choke down and put a smooth half swing on it - it's like a little underhanded toss.

It's just versatile as ****. So glad I got on the high-lofted wood train.

Titleist TS3 Driver 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 15°, 18°, 21°
    Nike Vapor Pro 4-PW
    TaylorMade MG 52°, 60°
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Titleist ProV1x

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file