GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Henrik Stenson sits out of playoffs....

 Titleist99 ·  
Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1098WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,098 Platinum Tees
Joined:  in Tour Talk #1

Stenson chose to sit out of the playoffs, which is his prerogative. These golfers are independent contractors and if any other golfer feels that the new schedule is creating a hardship on them and their schedule they also have the option to sit out as well. Instead of whining about needing rest and not being able to peak for the Majors...Every other sport has playoffs....Why not Golf? I think that he wanted to rest up ….I'm not sure, If this is true, do you agree with his decision?

Posted:
«1
2

Comments

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Members  926WRX Points: 125Posts: 926 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #3

    85 in the fedex race and likely eliminated after this week anyways. That plus bring 24 in race to Dubai seems like a no brained. Throw in off time an appearance fee in his home country and it’s almost like he can’t lose. Plus he’ll still get his fedexcup bonus money

    Posted:
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1098WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,098 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #4

    On -, @MadGolfer76 said:

    The playoffs are a contrivance. "Let's keep the season going to bring in more views."
    Millionaires playing for millions - for me, not particularly riveting. No one is playing for a major, or a tournament win (per se), or history. The eventual goal is simply a money position. I'll watch because I want to see the standard of play, but what they are playing for is (for me) completely irrelevant.

    Well, the Masters started with it's first tournament. The PGA Tour is trying to build an historic tradition....but some is fighting it all the way....LOL!

    Posted:
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 MaineMembers  20366WRX Points: 937Posts: 20,366 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #5

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @MadGolfer76 said:

    The playoffs are a contrivance. "Let's keep the season going to bring in more views."
    Millionaires playing for millions - for me, not particularly riveting. No one is playing for a major, or a tournament win (per se), or history. The eventual goal is simply a money position. I'll watch because I want to see the standard of play, but what they are playing for is (for me) completely irrelevant.

    Well, the Masters started with it's first tournament. The PGA Tour is trying to build an historic tradition....but some is fighting it all the way....LOL!

    They had a historic tradition before this - it was called the end of the major championship season, followed by the lesser known (and less historic) Tour Championship. They lost TV viewing about at the point that "silly season" (as it used to be called) rolled around, so they extended the season and baited top players into extending their schedules by hanging a lump of cash in front of them.

    Sorry....jaded.

    Posted:


  • tideridertiderider Members  3094WRX Points: 2,119Handicap: 5ishPosts: 3,094 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6

    Couldn’t replace his wedge ...

    Posted:
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1984WRX Points: 1,141Posts: 1,984 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #7

    The playoffs in golf doesn't really mean you are the "champion" for the year like in other sports. The four most important winners have already been determined.

    I also think the playoffs here is too random. There's too many points awarded to whomever gets hot in this 3 tournament (was 4 tournament) stretch. If you want to argue its like the NCAA basketball, OK maybe. But most other sports the best teams are usually playing late too.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1098WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,098 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #8

    On -, @MadGolfer76 said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @MadGolfer76 said:

    The playoffs are a contrivance. "Let's keep the season going to bring in more views."
    Millionaires playing for millions - for me, not particularly riveting. No one is playing for a major, or a tournament win (per se), or history. The eventual goal is simply a money position. I'll watch because I want to see the standard of play, but what they are playing for is (for me) completely irrelevant.

    Well, the Masters started with it's first tournament. The PGA Tour is trying to build an historic tradition....but some is fighting it all the way....LOL!

    They had a historic tradition before this - it was called the end of the major championship season, followed by the lesser known (and less historic) Tour Championship. They lost TV viewing about at the point that "silly season" (as it used to be called) rolled around, so they extended the season and baited top players into extending their schedules by hanging a lump of cash in front of them.

    Sorry....jaded.

    I never watched the silly season shenanigans …..Playoffs and wraparound is much better in my opinion. To each his own.

    Posted:
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 MaineMembers  20366WRX Points: 937Posts: 20,366 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #9

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @MadGolfer76 said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @MadGolfer76 said:

    The playoffs are a contrivance. "Let's keep the season going to bring in more views."
    Millionaires playing for millions - for me, not particularly riveting. No one is playing for a major, or a tournament win (per se), or history. The eventual goal is simply a money position. I'll watch because I want to see the standard of play, but what they are playing for is (for me) completely irrelevant.

    Well, the Masters started with it's first tournament. The PGA Tour is trying to build an historic tradition....but some is fighting it all the way....LOL!

    They had a historic tradition before this - it was called the end of the major championship season, followed by the lesser known (and less historic) Tour Championship. They lost TV viewing about at the point that "silly season" (as it used to be called) rolled around, so they extended the season and baited top players into extending their schedules by hanging a lump of cash in front of them.

    Sorry....jaded.

    I never watched the silly season shenanigans …..Playoffs and wraparound is much better in my opinion. To each his own.

    I don't necessarily disagree. I would rather watch actual pro events than hack celebs playing scrambles with a tour pro thrown in. I just don't like the spirit of intention.

    Posted:


  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  21644WRX Points: 5,635Posts: 21,644 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #10

    Good for him. Will be supporting Scandinavian Invitational in a couple of weeks and he’s had some nagging injuries last couple of years. Good for Euro Tour and he can do as he likes.

    Posted:
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members  6170WRX Points: 1,628Handicap: 3Posts: 6,170 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #11

    Part of me is with the cynical brigade in thinking that the number one reason he is doing it is because, as things stood, the chances of him making it to next week never mind the Tour Championship were pretty slim given his position in the rankings. The other part of me thinks that the money on offer to the players these days is so great that they don't really need to chase for it as much as they once would have wanted or needed to and if that's the case, then why not head home, still earn some money and not have to worry about the grind quite as much.

    Posted:
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow T1100 White
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
    Titleist 712U 3 Stiff Graphite Design Tour AD DI
    Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
    Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x 2019
  • TheInfidelTheInfidel Gotta let the Big Dog eat.... Members  1645WRX Points: 273Posts: 1,645 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 8, 2019 #12

    Some good discussions here on the whys and rationale behind players personal schedules, injuries and personal commitments aside I think it'll take more than one season to see how it beds in with players and what their usual rhythm becomes.

    The main takeaway for me is that Cash is King and they don't have to chase it as hard as they used to. There's mountains of green backs up for grabs all the time. The first trigger of this for me was guys like Brooks, Fleetwood, Reed and others going equipment free agent.

    Top level tour pro - "I'll play whatever clubs I want and I'll play wherever I want, then at the end of the season there'll still be 2 MIL (for the guy in 50th!) in the Bank. That's before sponsor money. Good living for the top guys.

    Posted:

    • Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
    • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
    • Adams Idea A7 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
    • Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
    • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
    • Mizuno S18 50* Nippon NS PRO 1150GH Tour X +0.5'
    • Nike Engage Raw 54* S400 +0.5'
    • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* S400 +0.5'
    • Odyssey Dual Force 990 


  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2808WRX Points: 1,379Posts: 2,808 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 8, 2019 #13

    Look like he's too far down the FedEx list to be a serious contender, and there's an event in Sweden that conflicts with the FedEx finals, anyway. That's an invitational, so he's probably looking as a pretty significant appearance fee.

    Posted:
  • JRSJRS Members  988WRX Points: 110Posts: 988 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #14

    i'd live some ACTUAL silly season events. like the "7 iron only matchplay championship".

    Posted:
  • oz dee ceeoz dee cee Members  514WRX Points: 104Posts: 514 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #15

    I don’t mind the idea of a playoff series. You need something to bring the year to an end. I’m not sure they’ve got it right but it can be interesting.

    I think we over think things. It’s three more tournaments with the best players in the world. What’s not to like?

    Posted:
  • StrömsborgStrömsborg StockholmMembers  597WRX Points: 170Handicap: 2.8Posts: 597 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #16

    I guess his family wants a piece of the Swedish summer and to meet relatives etc. Now is the time. We have about 8 weeks of nice weather per year in Sweden and it's only a couple of them left.

    Posted:
    Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?

    Titleist 910 8.5°
    TM SLDR S 17°
    Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° and 24°
    Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
    Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
    Rife 460 Tour Blade

    After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?
  • Scotty1140Scotty1140 Members  4895WRX Points: 538Posts: 4,895 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #17

    On -, @oz dee cee said:

    I don’t mind the idea of a playoff series. You need something to bring the year to an end. I’m not sure they’ve got it right but it can be interesting.

    I think we over think things. It’s three more tournaments with the best players in the world. What’s not to like?

    +1

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MMB1500MMB1500 Members  6693WRX Points: 620Handicap: GolfPosts: 6,693 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 8, 2019 #18

    The "playoffs" are a contrived joke. Can't blame him for wanting to skip it and spend some time with his family, especially as he's no longer competitive at the top end.

    Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter south carolinaMembers  30917WRX Points: 7,193Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,917 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #19

    This is the silly season. Isn’t it ? I mean we’ve got a handicapped event coming up.

    Posted:
  • FergusonFerguson Members  5930WRX Points: 3,387Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,930 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #20

    Makes me think he could be going through some issues at home?

    Posted:
  • JD3JD3 Members  5072WRX Points: 407Posts: 5,072 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #21

    On -, @MadGolfer76 said:

    The playoffs are a contrivance. "Let's keep the season going to bring in more views."
    Millionaires playing for millions - for me, not particularly riveting. No one is playing for a major, or a tournament win (per se), or history. The eventual goal is simply a money position. I'll watch because I want to see the standard of play, but what they are playing for is (for me) completely irrelevant.

    Actually more interested in this than usual. Other than masters the other 3 majors were uninteresting, especially PGA and British. I feel a need to witness more high stakes golf this year. And don't think theae guys dont care....privately I bet many would prefer the $10 million over one major.

    Posted:
    TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXV Green X
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    Titleist AVX 
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • Soloman1Soloman1 Members  2878WRX Points: 859Posts: 2,878 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 8, 2019 #22

    On -, @Ferguson: Makes me think he was abducted by aliens and recovering from that trauma?

    Or, makes me think the only issue is you pulling that tabloid-style nonsense out of your butt?
    Posted:
    Post edited by Soloman1 on
    I'm quitting at 6.022 x 10^23 posts.
    Avogadro would be proud.
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • the bishopthe bishop Members  4000WRX Points: 1,006Posts: 4,000 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #23

    He's already won the FedEX cup once. Unlike majors where you want to win as many as possible, to me the FedEX cup is a little like Mt. Everest. Once you've climbed it once there's not much point in doing it again. But it's a nice feather in the career cap. As for the $$ it's a lot to be sure but I think he'll be able to meet his expenses for the forseeable future. Sounds like he's got his priorities in order.

    Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5*
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S Staff Model 5-P
    W/S Staff Model 52/56/60
    W/S Bucktown
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10598WRX Points: 3,723Handicap: 8Posts: 10,598 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #24

    On -, @Ferguson said:

    Makes me think he could be going through some issues at home?

    always your go too.

    As far as the play offs go, they should move one of the majors to be one of the 4 events.

    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • FergusonFerguson Members  5930WRX Points: 3,387Handicap: 7.0Posts: 5,930 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #25

    On -, @QuigleyDU said:

    On -, @Ferguson said:

    Makes me think he could be going through some issues at home?

    always your go too.

    As far as the play offs go, they should move one of the majors to be one of the 4 events.

    Until I hear otherwise, I will labor through the speculation of others.

    Posted:
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members  2804WRX Points: 984Posts: 2,804 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #26

    Guys who don’t need the money or owgr points never surprise me when they skip a playoff event or all of them.

    Good for Henrik to take a break and get ready to finish out the euro tour schedule

    Posted:
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1098WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,098 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #27

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    The playoffs in golf doesn't really mean you are the "champion" for the year like in other sports. The four most important winners have already been determined.

    I also think the playoffs here is too random. There's too many points awarded to whomever gets hot in this 3 tournament (was 4 tournament) stretch. If you want to argue its like the NCAA basketball, OK maybe. But most other sports the best teams are usually playing late too.

    College Basketball) HAVE TOURNAMENTS WITH A TOURNAMENT ((Baseball)....Pennant champion ,World Series (Football)....division Champ, Super bowl (College football).....Many Bowl games ( Basketball)...….conference champs, finals champ. My point is all sports have contrived season events because it is about entertainment and money$$$,

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1984WRX Points: 1,141Posts: 1,984 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #28

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    The playoffs in golf doesn't really mean you are the "champion" for the year like in other sports. The four most important winners have already been determined.

    I also think the playoffs here is too random. There's too many points awarded to whomever gets hot in this 3 tournament (was 4 tournament) stretch. If you want to argue its like the NCAA basketball, OK maybe. But most other sports the best teams are usually playing late too.

    College Basketball) HAVE TOURNAMENTS WITH A TOURNAMENT ((Baseball)....Pennant champion ,World Series (Football)....division Champ, Super bowl (College football).....Many Bowl games ( Basketball)...….conference champs, finals champ. My point is all sports have contrived season events because it is about entertainment and money$$$,

    My point is no one thinks the FedEx Cup Champion is the undisputed champion of the golfing season. Anyone think Billy Horschel had a better 2014 than Rory?

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1098WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,098 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #29

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    Look like he's too far down the FedEx list to be a serious contender, and there's an event in Sweden that conflicts with the FedEx finals, anyway. That's an invitational, so he's probably looking as a pretty significant appearance fee.

    As I've always said, these Tour Pros are in control of their own schedule.....so stop complaining about the PGA Tour's schedule.

    Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2808WRX Points: 1,379Posts: 2,808 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #30

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    Look like he's too far down the FedEx list to be a serious contender, and there's an event in Sweden that conflicts with the FedEx finals, anyway. That's an invitational, so he's probably looking as a pretty significant appearance fee.

    As I've always said, these Tour Pros are in control of their own schedule.....so stop complaining about the PGA Tour's schedule.

    I wasn’t.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Titleist99Titleist99 Members  1098WRX Points: 482Posts: 1,098 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #31

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Titleist99 said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    The playoffs in golf doesn't really mean you are the "champion" for the year like in other sports. The four most important winners have already been determined.

    I also think the playoffs here is too random. There's too many points awarded to whomever gets hot in this 3 tournament (was 4 tournament) stretch. If you want to argue its like the NCAA basketball, OK maybe. But most other sports the best teams are usually playing late too.

    College Basketball) HAVE TOURNAMENTS WITH A TOURNAMENT ((Baseball)....Pennant champion ,World Series (Football)....division Champ, Super bowl (College football).....Many Bowl games ( Basketball)...….conference champs, finals champ. My point is all sports have contrived season events because it is about entertainment and money$$$,

    My point is no one thinks the FedEx Cup Champion is the undisputed champion of the golfing season. Anyone think Billy Horschel had a better 2014 than Rory?

    Fair point but the FedEx Cup and Wyndhem points is based on season consistency.

    Posted:
2

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.