Henrik Stenson sits out of playoffs....

2»

Comments

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,283 ClubWRX

I’m excited to watch him in a tourney he may win this year!

• Titleist99Titleist99 Members Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭

@MountainGoat said:

@Titleist99 said:

@MountainGoat said:
    Look like he's too far down the FedEx list to be a serious contender, and there's an event in Sweden that conflicts with the FedEx finals, anyway. That's an invitational, so he's probably looking as a pretty significant appearance fee.

As I've always said, these Tour Pros are in control of their own schedule.....so stop complaining about the PGA Tour's schedule.

I wasn’t.

So, it was mandatory that you play every tournament?

• MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Titleist99 said:

@MountainGoat said:

@Titleist99 said:

@MountainGoat said:
    Look like he's too far down the FedEx list to be a serious contender, and there's an event in Sweden that conflicts with the FedEx finals, anyway. That's an invitational, so he's probably looking as a pretty significant appearance fee.

As I've always said, these Tour Pros are in control of their own schedule.....so stop complaining about the PGA Tour's schedule.

I wasn’t.

Nope, I never said it was. He elected not to play and chose to play somewhere else. Fine with me.

@MountainGoat said:

@Titleist99 said:

@MountainGoat said:

@Titleist99 said:

@MountainGoat said:

I wasn’t.

Nope, I never said it was. He elected not to play and chose to play somewhere else. Fine with me.

Sorry for my misunderstanding. I concur, he should do what's best for him and his family.

• mthomp1495mthomp1495 Members Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind the playoffs as much if the "Race to the FedEx cup" wasn't endlessly focused on throughout the season. I don't care who is leading the FedEx Cup points in February.

Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5* - HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.0
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2 15* - AD DI-7x
    Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 21* - AD DI-105x
    Driving Iron: MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 19* - DG S400 TI
    Irons: Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-6, MB 7-PW - DG S400 TI
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60* - DG S400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 or Futura X5

@mthomp1495 said:
    I wouldn't mind the playoffs as much if the "Race to the FedEx cup" wasn't endlessly focused on throughout the season. I don't care who is leading the FedEx Cup points in February.

Well FedEx wants you to think about it in February, so when you go to ship packages at work or at home you use them instead of UPS.

• mthomp1495mthomp1495 Members Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

@Titleist99 said:

@mthomp1495 said:

Well FedEx wants you to think about it in February, so when you go to ship packages at work or at home you use them instead of UPS.

Hahaha, their true motives shine through

Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5* - HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.0
    Fairway: Titleist 917F2 15* - AD DI-7x
    Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 21* - AD DI-105x
    Driving Iron: MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 19* - DG S400 TI
    Irons: Mizuno MP-18 SC 4-6, MB 7-PW - DG S400 TI
    Wedges: Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60* - DG S400
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 or Futura X5
  • daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@QuigleyDU said:

@Ferguson said:
    Makes me think he could be going through some issues at home?

always your go too.

As far as the play offs go, they should move one of the majors to be one of the 4 events.

It’s only August s there’s still time for someone to top you, but so far this is the leader for worst idea of the year.

• daleheaddalehead Members Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Titleist99 said:

@agolf1 said:

@Titleist99 said:

@agolf1 said:
    The playoffs in golf doesn't really mean you are the "champion" for the year like in other sports. The four most important winners have already been determined.

I also think the playoffs here is too random. There's too many points awarded to whomever gets hot in this 3 tournament (was 4 tournament) stretch. If you want to argue its like the NCAA basketball, OK maybe. But most other sports the best teams are usually playing late too.

College Basketball) HAVE TOURNAMENTS WITH A TOURNAMENT ((Baseball)....Pennant champion ,World Series (Football)....division Champ, Super bowl (College football).....Many Bowl games ( Basketball)...….conference champs, finals champ. My point is all sports have contrived season events because it is about entertainment and money$$$,

My point is no one thinks the FedEx Cup Champion is the undisputed champion of the golfing season. Anyone think Billy Horschel had a better 2014 than Rory?

Fair point but the FedEx Cup and Wyndhem points is based on season consistency.

I know that’s the idea but it hasn’t always worked that way in practice. Billy Horschel is a case in point. Patrick Reed is now number 2 in Fed Ex Cup points. Has he had the second best season so far? If he wins the Fed Ex Cup will he have been the most consistent player of 2019?

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dalehead said:

@QuigleyDU said:

@Ferguson said:
    Makes me think he could be going through some issues at home?

always your go too.

As far as the play offs go, they should move one of the majors to be one of the 4 events.

It’s only August s there’s still time for someone to top you, but so far this is the leader for worst idea of the year.

why is it the worst idea? Granted, even I do not think it is a good one, but it would make the "playoffs" more interesting...

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow

@dalehead said:

@Titleist99 said:

@agolf1 said:

@Titleist99 said:

@agolf1 said:
    The playoffs in golf doesn't really mean you are the "champion" for the year like in other sports. The four most important winners have already been determined.

I also think the playoffs here is too random. There's too many points awarded to whomever gets hot in this 3 tournament (was 4 tournament) stretch. If you want to argue its like the NCAA basketball, OK maybe. But most other sports the best teams are usually playing late too.

College Basketball) HAVE TOURNAMENTS WITH A TOURNAMENT ((Baseball)....Pennant champion ,World Series (Football)....division Champ, Super bowl (College football).....Many Bowl games ( Basketball)...….conference champs, finals champ. My point is all sports have contrived season events because it is about entertainment and money$$$,

My point is no one thinks the FedEx Cup Champion is the undisputed champion of the golfing season. Anyone think Billy Horschel had a better 2014 than Rory?

Fair point but the FedEx Cup and Wyndhem points is based on season consistency.

I know that’s the idea but it hasn’t always worked that way in practice. Billy Horschel is a case in point. Patrick Reed is now number 2 in Fed Ex Cup points. Has he had the second best season so far? If he wins the Fed Ex Cup will he have been the most consistent player of 2019?

The FedEx Cup is season long until you get to the playoffs, then points quadruple and anything can happen.....remember, the best team don't always win the Super Bowl. Volatile playoffs is all we can ask for.....

• Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@agolf1 said:

I would argue its not even real playoffs. Once the regular season is over there should be no points involved. Perform to a certain level in tournament #1 and move on, if not you are done. Same as tournament #2 with whatever the top number of finishers there moving on to the Tour Championship. Whoever wins the TC wins it FC. I find it ridiculous that they call it playoffs when you can sit out/miss a round and still move on.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
    Ping G400 7w/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 4h/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 5 Crossover/Alta CB r flex
    Ping IE1 6-G/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping Glide ES 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭

He's my favorite player (even though his shank at The Open cost me a bunch of $$) and seems like an all around cool guy. Seeing that the Tour Championship's format is ridiculous and downright stupid this year, I dont see anything wrong with any player skipping it!

TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges

@Bad9 said:

@agolf1 said:

I would argue its not even real playoffs. Once the regular season is over there should be no points involved. Perform to a certain level in tournament #1 and move on, if not you are done. Same as tournament #2 with whatever the top number of finishers there moving on to the Tour Championship. Whoever wins the TC wins it FC. I find it ridiculous that they call it playoffs when you can sit out/miss a round and still move on.

It's called a "Bye"...…..LOL!

• Brass_BullseyeBrass_Bullseye BrassBullseye Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭✭

@MattyO1984 said:
    Part of me is with the cynical brigade in thinking that the number one reason he is doing it is because, as things stood, the chances of him making it to next week never mind the Tour Championship were pretty slim given his position in the rankings. The other part of me thinks that the money on offer to the players these days is so great that they don't really need to chase for it as much as they once would have wanted or needed to and if that's the case, then why not head home, still earn some money and not have to worry about the grind quite as much.

Ben Crane has made over $21,000,000 on tour and his last decent season was 2014. There is too much money in golf.

Titleist TS2 Driver,
    Titleist 915F 3W
    Titleist 915H 2H
    Titleist 716 CB irons 3-PW
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges, 52.08F, 56.08M
    Odyssey O-Works Red #7
  • Bad9Bad9 Members Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Titleist99 said:

@Bad9 said:

@agolf1 said:

It's called a "Bye"...…..LOL!

Agree if its the first round. In previous years guys could sit out the second or third round(of the playoffs) and still move on. When it would 4 tournaments I could go along with a first round bye for a the leading points getters, top 10 or something, but not in second or third rounds. Now that's its down to three "playoff" rounds suck it up and play them all.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
    Ping G400 7w/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 4h/Alta CB r flex
    Ping G400 5 Crossover/Alta CB r flex
    Ping IE1 6-G/Xcaliber r flex
    Ping Glide ES 58°/Xcaliber r flex
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06
  • imakaveliimakaveli Moli Moli Moli Moli Tommy Tommy Tommy Tommy... Members Posts: 12,995 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see him choosing his national Open over some easy money.

• cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 12, 2019 9:49pm #49

@Brass_Bullseye said:

@MattyO1984 said:
    Part of me is with the cynical brigade in thinking that the number one reason he is doing it is because, as things stood, the chances of him making it to next week never mind the Tour Championship were pretty slim given his position in the rankings. The other part of me thinks that the money on offer to the players these days is so great that they don't really need to chase for it as much as they once would have wanted or needed to and if that's the case, then why not head home, still earn some money and not have to worry about the grind quite as much.

Ben Crane has made over $21,000,000 on tour and his last decent season was 2014. There is too much money in golf.

Compared to? Sam Bradford has made something like $130M and his next decent season will be his first.
    ;)

• farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The sports 99 mentions have playoffs and championships that do actually define the best team. The FedEx, not so much.

• KRAMER1997KRAMER1997 Members Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

If the FedEx cup mattered in the long run, Bill Haas wouldn't be playing in the Korn Ferry Tour finals.

• Edward_MajorwinEdward_Majorwin British ColumbiaMembers Posts: 152 ✭✭✭

Good for Stens, I would probably do the same and enjoy some family summer time if my career had been so rewarding to this point.

Right-handed Canadian golfer swinging left
    Ping G400 9.5
    Taylor Made M4 3-wood(recently destroyed)
    Ping G410 3H
    Titleist AP2 718 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52 & 56 degree, Callaway Mack Daddy2 60 degree
    Odyssey Stroke Lab ONE
    Ball: Callaway Supersoft (yellow)
    Tees: Wood

• MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 3:07am #53

I don't think I can blame the guy. He's likely getting a pretty good appearance fee, in his home country, as well as adding points to the Race to Dubai which he has a better standing on, on top of getting his money for the FEC bonus ($105,000), even without playing.

The FEC has never been something that has interested me, but the fact that it brings so many of the biggest names for these final few tournaments is something that I have always enjoyed. The guys that win the actual tournaments are much more exciting to me than the one who gets the now $15M prize at the end.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.

@cdnglf said:

@Brass_Bullseye said:

@MattyO1984 said:

Compared to? Sam Bradford has made something like $130M and his next decent season will be his first.
    ;)

@MidwestGolfBum said:
    I don't think I can blame the guy. He's likely getting a pretty good appearance fee, in his home country, as well as adding points to the Race to Dubai which he has a better standing on, on top of getting his money for the FEC bonus ($105,000), even without playing.

The FEC has never been something that has interested me, but the fact that it brings so many of the biggest names for these final few tournaments is something that I have always enjoyed. The guys that win the actual tournaments are much more exciting to me than the one who gets the now $15M prize at the end.

Hmm, I didn't know that he gets paid just for qualifying for the playoffs....

@KRAMER1997 said:
    If the FedEx cup mattered in the long run, Bill Haas wouldn't be playing in the Korn Ferry Tour finals.

I seen a lot of sports where the champion goes from first to worst.....Why not golf?

• Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Titleist99 said:

@cdnglf said:

@Brass_Bullseye said:

@MattyO1984 said:

;)

@MidwestGolfBum said:

Outside the top 30, it goes into a retirement account.

But still, $60,000,000 for 150 players, yes even 126-150 get a bonus.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2019/02/14/fedex-cup-bonus-pool-purse-winners-share-prize-money-payout-for-2019-and-beyond-111676/

swing is irrelevant, score is everything

just say NO.... to practice swings
  • Aaronwilson_95Aaronwilson_95 Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barring a top 5-10 idk the points he wasn’t gonna move onto bmw let alone TC . Props to him for spinning it this way when he’s winning financially from all angles. > @Darth Putter said:

@Titleist99 said:

@cdnglf said:

@Brass_Bullseye said:

@MattyO1984 said:

;)

@MidwestGolfBum said:

Outside the top 30, it goes into a retirement account.

But still, $60,000,000 for 150 players, yes even 126-150 get a bonus.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2019/02/14/fedex-cup-bonus-pool-purse-winners-share-prize-money-payout-for-2019-and-beyond-111676/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file