GIVEAWAY: PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE, Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 3W - ENTER HERE.

Grips - More Taper?

 A.Princey ·  
A.PrinceyA.Princey Major HackerMembers  2571WRX Points: 539Handicap: 3Posts: 2,571 Titanium Tees
Joined:  edited Aug 8, 2019 in WRX Club Techs #1

Wondering how many folks embrace taper in grips?? I'm beginning to think the trend of less taper, or extra wraps under the lower hand might be bad for me.

Does anyone build up the top hand and INCREASE the taper? I'm beginning to think the bigger butt end helps me stabilize the swing easier and smaller bottom portion is better for finger manipulation and feel. It almost feels like a strong low hand can manhandle the club even easier when the portion it's attached to is bigger.

Posted:

TM 2016 M2 12*, OG Graf Blue X 43.5"

TEE XCG7 3W 16.5*, OG Graf Blue X 41.5"

Callaway Rogue X 4i, PX SD 5.5 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, XP95 R300

Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

B330-RX

1

Comments

  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3704WRX Points: 1,721Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,704 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #2

    I used to feel this way. I liked taper and I felt that building up the bottom hand had a negative impact for me. I've since changed my view on that though after stumbling into a particular grip build on a used club and now the feeling of standard taper feels unbalanced to me. I get what you're saying though, but the idea behind a built up lower hand is to reduce the amount of rotation during release. The bigger the grip diameter, the less influence your hand movements have, hence Bryson DeChambeau with his mega jumbo grips.

    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

    WITB Thread
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX  5539WRX Points: 1,192Posts: 5,539 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #3

    I like a very slight taper on the grip. The grips I use are built that way so it's two wraps of tape and on they go.

    Posted:
    TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
    TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
    Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter




  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members  2571WRX Points: 539Handicap: 3Posts: 2,571 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #4

    I’m just saying that a larger diameter seems to create more influence from that respective hand. Larger diameter on the low hand has me steering club more with that hand, if that makes sense

    Posted:

    TM 2016 M2 12*, OG Graf Blue X 43.5"

    TEE XCG7 3W 16.5*, OG Graf Blue X 41.5"

    Callaway Rogue X 4i, PX SD 5.5 39.75"

    Cobra King OS 4-G, XP95 R300

    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400

    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

    B330-RX

  • KevinnzKevinnz Members  393WRX Points: 97Posts: 393 Greens
    Joined:  #5

    Lamkin z5 standard plus is a reduced taper grip, the lower portion is fairly fat. I love them.

    Posted:
  • SocratesSocrates Warning Points 1+ WinnipegClubWRX  10266WRX Points: 1,156Handicap: 4ishPosts: 10,266 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #6

    I don't build up the grip (top hand), but I chose the MCC Align Midsize which has a nice taper and lets me have a relaxed grip that I know won't get away from from me. Top hand feels very secure. Don't like grips like the +4, at all.

    Posted:
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
    MCC Align Midsize

  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members  2571WRX Points: 539Handicap: 3Posts: 2,571 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 14, 2019 #7

    Little update, but grip shape/taper definitely affects my release and ball flight. It literally changed everything I thought I knew about fitting. It's possibly a feel issue or a swing sensitivity, but the larger diameter on the butt end, with noticeable taper gradient towards the head, secures the club so much in my lead hand. Ball flight is higher and markedly straight, but distance seems slightly short of normal. Despite a slight distance drop off, the new flight has made gapping much better from the top end to the bottom, and the increase in accuracy is great. I'll continue to follow up with my long term results.

    Posted:

    TM 2016 M2 12*, OG Graf Blue X 43.5"

    TEE XCG7 3W 16.5*, OG Graf Blue X 41.5"

    Callaway Rogue X 4i, PX SD 5.5 39.75"

    Cobra King OS 4-G, XP95 R300

    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400

    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

    B330-RX

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members  2388WRX Points: 579Posts: 2,388 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #8

    This year I moved to less taper for two reasons:
    1. Don't need to build up low-hand area for wedges.
    2. Less taper means better grip pressure, especially with lower dominant hand.

    Posted:
    What's In The Bag *...

    Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS + MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr.  | Note: MD4 58°/8.C-grind may replace MD/PM
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperHot - orange
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course and season.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members  3704WRX Points: 1,721Handicap: 1.7Posts: 3,704 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #9

    On -, @A.Princey said:

    Little update, but grip shape/taper definitely affects my release and ball flight. It literally changed everything I thought I knew about fitting. It's possibly a feel issue or a swing sensitivity, but the larger diameter on the butt end, with noticeable taper gradient towards the head, secures the club so much in my lead hand. Ball flight is higher and markedly straight, but distance seems slightly short of normal. Despite a slight distance drop off, the new flight has made gapping much better from the top end to the bottom, and the increase in accuracy is great. I'll continue to follow up with my long term results.

    It does indeed make a huge difference, I myself am experimenting with it at the moment. Its a great part about buying used clubs to try out on eBay/here; you get to try different grips will all sorts of different tape build ups that you might never try yourself. That was how I got off on to the path i'm on now,

    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Titleist 915FD 15* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    Titleist 915FD 18* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818H1 18.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype 
    Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid
    Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Special 61* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot

    WITB Thread
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members  2571WRX Points: 539Handicap: 3Posts: 2,571 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Aug 14, 2019 #10

    I'd say grip fitting should almost be in its own realm of the fitting process.

    Posted:

    TM 2016 M2 12*, OG Graf Blue X 43.5"

    TEE XCG7 3W 16.5*, OG Graf Blue X 41.5"

    Callaway Rogue X 4i, PX SD 5.5 39.75"

    Cobra King OS 4-G, XP95 R300

    Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400

    "Rusty" Byron DH89 Pipeneck, 34" (or any of 10  2 other putters...)

    B330-RX

  • Trying4BetterTrying4Better Members  233WRX Points: 86Handicap: 13Posts: 233 Fairways
    Joined:  #11

    This made me think about baseball bats and their current trend. It seems many manufacturers are going to extreme amounts of taper, with very thick butt end and very narrow top hand. It seems a baseball players bat grip is just as important as a golf club grip.

    So maybe you are on to something here...

    Posted:
  • mogc60mogc60 Members  1018WRX Points: 492Posts: 1,018 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #12

    If you want to get real extreme and feel what a difference the taper can make....
    Take a standard grip and cut the butt cap off and install it upside down. So the skinniest part of the grip is on the butt end of the shaft. It’s amazing how easy it is to release the club this way. In my opinion, the cap area of all grips is too thick relative to the lower hand. The grip size and taper plays a huge role in how the club feels overall.

    Posted:

    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • skralyskraly ClubWRX  1696WRX Points: 197Posts: 1,696 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #13

    On -, @A.Princey said:

    Wondering how many folks embrace taper in grips?? I'm beginning to think the trend of less taper, or extra wraps under the lower hand might be bad for me.

    Does anyone build up the top hand and INCREASE the taper? I'm beginning to think the bigger butt end helps me stabilize the swing easier and smaller bottom portion is better for finger manipulation and feel. It almost feels like a strong low hand can manhandle the club even easier when the portion it's attached to is bigger.

    On -, @A.Princey said:

    Wondering how many folks embrace taper in grips?? I'm beginning to think the trend of less taper, or extra wraps under the lower hand might be bad for me.

    Does anyone build up the top hand and INCREASE the taper? I'm beginning to think the bigger butt end helps me stabilize the swing easier and smaller bottom portion is better for finger manipulation and feel. It almost feels like a strong low hand can manhandle the club even easier when the portion it's attached to is bigger.

    Lamkin Z5’s seem to have quite a bit of taper and aren’t very pricy. You might give a couple of them a try.

    Posted:
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  11303WRX Points: 2,080Posts: 11,303 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #14

    On -, @A.Princey said:

    I'd say grip fitting should almost be in its own realm of the fitting process.

    Its the FIRST of all parameters during fitting if we want to make it right, since Grip weight is part of both Total , and Balance, and the shape or taper is part of face angle timing, so it better be there from the start, and all the way to the end. Thats why i used compressed air for grips on all shafts for fitting, we used the grip the player wanted to play from the start, and if the player wanted to play a grip i did not have in stock, he would bring one to the fitting session.

    Im not sure, but New Decade has a vary sharp taper, more than most others ive seen, so maybe thats the grip for you? (you dont say what model you play)

    Posted:

    PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

    Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2799WRX Points: 1,364Posts: 2,799 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #15

    For years I have played the 62g midsize Lamkin PermaWrap Classic (white stripe), but the company stopped making them. These grips have a steep taper such that the butt end is essentially a jumbo-sized grip and the bottom end is normal sized. I've been buying these grips on eBay out of supplier's unused inventory, but the well has apparently run dry. There are no more of these grips available anywhere, and I cannot find a suitable replacement. Everything these days is moving toward the +4 style that puts too much size in the right hand. If someone knows about a good replacement for my Lamkins, I'd love to hear about it.

    Posted:
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  11303WRX Points: 2,080Posts: 11,303 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #16

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    For years I have played the 62g midsize Lamkin PermaWrap Classic (white stripe), but the company stopped making them. These grips have a steep taper such that the butt end is essentially a jumbo-sized grip and the bottom end is normal sized. I've been buying these grips on eBay out of supplier's unused inventory, but the well has apparently run dry. There are no more of these grips available anywhere, and I cannot find a suitable replacement. Everything these days is moving toward the +4 style that puts too much size in the right hand. If someone knows about a good replacement for my Lamkins, I'd love to hear about it.

    I just posted about Asymmetrical _bu tape, but to straiten out the taper, and make them more like the +4 grips
    You can use the same, only turn it around to get steeper taper.
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19207962/#Comment_19207962

    Posted:

    PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

    Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2799WRX Points: 1,364Posts: 2,799 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #17

    On -, @Howard Jones said:

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    For years I have played the 62g midsize Lamkin PermaWrap Classic (white stripe), but the company stopped making them. These grips have a steep taper such that the butt end is essentially a jumbo-sized grip and the bottom end is normal sized. I've been buying these grips on eBay out of supplier's unused inventory, but the well has apparently run dry. There are no more of these grips available anywhere, and I cannot find a suitable replacement. Everything these days is moving toward the +4 style that puts too much size in the right hand. If someone knows about a good replacement for my Lamkins, I'd love to hear about it.

    I just posted about Asymmetrical _bu tape, but to straiten out the taper, and make them more like the +4 grips
    You can use the same, only turn it around to get steeper taper.
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19207962/#Comment_19207962

    Thanks, Howard. I'll give that a try. But the problem for me is the size of the butt cap, which you can't build up with tape. I like the large cap of the Lamkins.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  11303WRX Points: 2,080Posts: 11,303 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #18

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    On -, @Howard Jones said:

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    For years I have played the 62g midsize Lamkin PermaWrap Classic (white stripe), but the company stopped making them. These grips have a steep taper such that the butt end is essentially a jumbo-sized grip and the bottom end is normal sized. I've been buying these grips on eBay out of supplier's unused inventory, but the well has apparently run dry. There are no more of these grips available anywhere, and I cannot find a suitable replacement. Everything these days is moving toward the +4 style that puts too much size in the right hand. If someone knows about a good replacement for my Lamkins, I'd love to hear about it.

    I just posted about Asymmetrical _bu tape, but to straiten out the taper, and make them more like the +4 grips
    You can use the same, only turn it around to get steeper taper.
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19207962/#Comment_19207962

    Thanks, Howard. I'll give that a try. But the problem for me is the size of the butt cap, which you can't build up with tape. I like the large cap of the Lamkins.

    Sound like you place your hands higher than you "should"....
    If you follow that link, look at the Golfpride grip
    Before the butt cap itself, there is 2 white rings around the grip.
    The "correct" position for the upper hand is when the hand is only "in line with" (barely is in contact with) the lowest of the 2 rings.
    If you place you upper hand higher, there will not be "shaft" under your hand, only rubber....not good, so if thats your hand position, you should maybe play clubs thats 0.25" longer than now?

    Posted:

    PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

    Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2799WRX Points: 1,364Posts: 2,799 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #19

    On -, @Howard Jones said:

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    On -, @Howard Jones said:

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    For years I have played the 62g midsize Lamkin PermaWrap Classic (white stripe), but the company stopped making them. These grips have a steep taper such that the butt end is essentially a jumbo-sized grip and the bottom end is normal sized. I've been buying these grips on eBay out of supplier's unused inventory, but the well has apparently run dry. There are no more of these grips available anywhere, and I cannot find a suitable replacement. Everything these days is moving toward the +4 style that puts too much size in the right hand. If someone knows about a good replacement for my Lamkins, I'd love to hear about it.

    I just posted about Asymmetrical _bu tape, but to straiten out the taper, and make them more like the +4 grips
    You can use the same, only turn it around to get steeper taper.
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19207962/#Comment_19207962

    Thanks, Howard. I'll give that a try. But the problem for me is the size of the butt cap, which you can't build up with tape. I like the large cap of the Lamkins.

    Sound like you place your hands higher than you "should"....

    So did Hogan :)
    Seriously, I think he and I do it for essentially the same reason. I'm very much a fan of his release style, which I've inadvertently discovered over the years is very much dependent on grip size/shape and how you place the club in your left hand.
    I'm a club-maker, myself, and I specialize in MOI-matched clubs. My 7-iron is 3/8" long.

    Posted:
  • Howard_JonesHoward_Jones Members  11303WRX Points: 2,080Posts: 11,303 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Nov 7, 2019 #20

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    On -, @Howard Jones said:

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    On -, @Howard Jones said:

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    For years I have played the 62g midsize Lamkin PermaWrap Classic (white stripe), but the company stopped making them. These grips have a steep taper such that the butt end is essentially a jumbo-sized grip and the bottom end is normal sized. I've been buying these grips on eBay out of supplier's unused inventory, but the well has apparently run dry. There are no more of these grips available anywhere, and I cannot find a suitable replacement. Everything these days is moving toward the +4 style that puts too much size in the right hand. If someone knows about a good replacement for my Lamkins, I'd love to hear about it.

    I just posted about Asymmetrical _bu tape, but to straiten out the taper, and make them more like the +4 grips
    You can use the same, only turn it around to get steeper taper.
    https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/comment/19207962/#Comment_19207962

    Thanks, Howard. I'll give that a try. But the problem for me is the size of the butt cap, which you can't build up with tape. I like the large cap of the Lamkins.

    Sound like you place your hands higher than you "should"....

    So did Hogan :)
    Seriously, I think he and I do it for essentially the same reason. I'm very much a fan of his release style, which I've inadvertently discovered over the years is very much dependent on grip size/shape and how you place the club in your left hand.
    I'm a club-maker, myself, and I specialize in MOI-matched clubs. My 7-iron is 3/8" long.

    Ive seen lots of videos with Hogan, nothing compares to his swing, but i did not notice his hand position on the grip, but each to their own...its only how it is suppose to be, and we can see it on the players glove when his hand is to high on the grip....in the end its only one valid rule to it all...whatever that works...:-)

    Posted:

    PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PMs ON CLUB TECH ISSUES - ASK PUBLIC IN THE FORUM.

    Unless you are a former Customer or someone i already have a PM dialog with, i want reply to tech questions on PMs.

  • golfschnellgolfschnell Members  297WRX Points: 98Posts: 297 Greens
    Joined:  #21

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    For years I have played the 62g midsize Lamkin PermaWrap Classic (white stripe), but the company stopped making them. These grips have a steep taper such that the butt end is essentially a jumbo-sized grip and the bottom end is normal sized. I've been buying these grips on eBay out of supplier's unused inventory, but the well has apparently run dry. There are no more of these grips available anywhere, and I cannot find a suitable replacement. Everything these days is moving toward the +4 style that puts too much size in the right hand. If someone knows about a good replacement for my Lamkins, I'd love to hear about it.

    The Pure wrap grip has a huge **** er butt end which I hated but may serve your needs. The Gripmaster Signature Stitchback also has a big ole butt. If you have any interest in these PM me I have a dozen new ones I'll let go cheap as the butt end just too big for me.

    Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2799WRX Points: 1,364Posts: 2,799 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #22

    I suppose this is the most obvious comment ever made, but I'm growing increasingly impressed by the effect of grip on club performance. As I said, all I've ever used for the last 20 years is the midsize Lamkin PermaWrap Classic. It always felt best, and attempts to switch were never successful. However, I've been testing AMT shafts and while building the set, I thought I'd just go ahead and test grips at the same time. When I used the Lamkins, the clubs performed very well. In fact, the 4-iron was among the best I've ever swung. But, when I switched to another grip, performance totally changed. Totally. In fact, with one grip I tested the 4-iron was literally unhitable, in spite of the fact that the club had the same SW and MOI as it did with the Lamkin! I'm at a loss as to how to explain this, but the effect was real and unambiguous. This experience has me agreeing with a statement Howard made above. Club fitting should begin with the grip.

    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.