Grips - More Taper?

A.PrinceyA.Princey Major HackerMembers Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Aug 8, 2019 9:13am in WRX Club Techs #1

Wondering how many folks embrace taper in grips?? I'm beginning to think the trend of less taper, or extra wraps under the lower hand might be bad for me.

Does anyone build up the top hand and INCREASE the taper? I'm beginning to think the bigger butt end helps me stabilize the swing easier and smaller bottom portion is better for finger manipulation and feel. It almost feels like a strong low hand can manhandle the club even easier when the portion it's attached to is bigger.

'16 M2 10.5*, Diamana Ltd. 70 S+ 43.5"
Ping G SFT 16*, DIamana Ltd. 70 S+ 41.5"
Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 4 other putters...)

Comments

• ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I used to feel this way. I liked taper and I felt that building up the bottom hand had a negative impact for me. I've since changed my view on that though after stumbling into a particular grip build on a used club and now the feeling of standard taper feels unbalanced to me. I get what you're saying though, but the idea behind a built up lower hand is to reduce the amount of rotation during release. The bigger the grip diameter, the less influence your hand movements have, hence Bryson DeChambeau with his mega jumbo grips.

Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Titleist 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,687 ClubWRX

I like a very slight taper on the grip. The grips I use are built that way so it's two wraps of tape and on they go.

Titleist 905T 9.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tour (3-PW) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • A.PrinceyA.Princey Major Hacker Members Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I’m just saying that a larger diameter seems to create more influence from that respective hand. Larger diameter on the low hand has me steering club more with that hand, if that makes sense

Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
  • KevinnzKevinnz Members Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

Lamkin z5 standard plus is a reduced taper grip, the lower portion is fairly fat. I love them.

• SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,467 ClubWRX

I don't build up the grip (top hand), but I chose the MCC Align Midsize which has a nice taper and lets me have a relaxed grip that I know won't get away from from me. Top hand feels very secure. Don't like grips like the +4, at all.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

edited Aug 14, 2019 3:11am #7

Little update, but grip shape/taper definitely affects my release and ball flight. It literally changed everything I thought I knew about fitting. It's possibly a feel issue or a swing sensitivity, but the larger diameter on the butt end, with noticeable taper gradient towards the head, secures the club so much in my lead hand. Ball flight is higher and markedly straight, but distance seems slightly short of normal. Despite a slight distance drop off, the new flight has made gapping much better from the top end to the bottom, and the increase in accuracy is great. I'll continue to follow up with my long term results.

Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
  • ChipNRunChipNRun Members Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This year I moved to less taper for two reasons:
    1. Don't need to build up low-hand area for wedges.
    2. Less taper means better grip pressure, especially with lower dominant hand.

What's In The Bag *...

Driver: Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
    FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
    or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
    Hybrid: Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
    Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 101 gr.
           4i refitted with SteelFiber 780 HLS Hybrid shaft R Flex 75 gr.
    Wedge: Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +
    MD.PM 60°/10  | KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) / 34" w. Ping Pistol PP60 grip (stock)
    Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
    Ball: Calla SuperSoft
    * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
    ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@A.Princey said:
    Little update, but grip shape/taper definitely affects my release and ball flight. It literally changed everything I thought I knew about fitting. It's possibly a feel issue or a swing sensitivity, but the larger diameter on the butt end, with noticeable taper gradient towards the head, secures the club so much in my lead hand. Ball flight is higher and markedly straight, but distance seems slightly short of normal. Despite a slight distance drop off, the new flight has made gapping much better from the top end to the bottom, and the increase in accuracy is great. I'll continue to follow up with my long term results.

It does indeed make a huge difference, I myself am experimenting with it at the moment. Its a great part about buying used clubs to try out on eBay/here; you get to try different grips will all sorts of different tape build ups that you might never try yourself. That was how I got off on to the path i'm on now,

Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Titleist 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
    edited Aug 14, 2019 12:19pm #10

I'd say grip fitting should almost be in its own realm of the fitting process.

Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
    Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
  • Trying4BetterTrying4Better Members Posts: 130 ✭✭✭

This made me think about baseball bats and their current trend. It seems many manufacturers are going to extreme amounts of taper, with very thick butt end and very narrow top hand. It seems a baseball players bat grip is just as important as a golf club grip.

So maybe you are on to something here...

• mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to get real extreme and feel what a difference the taper can make....
    Take a standard grip and cut the butt cap off and install it upside down. So the skinniest part of the grip is on the butt end of the shaft. It’s amazing how easy it is to release the club this way. In my opinion, the cap area of all grips is too thick relative to the lower hand. The grip size and taper plays a huge role in how the club feels overall.

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• skralyskraly ClubWRX Posts: 1,563 ClubWRX

@A.Princey said:
    Wondering how many folks embrace taper in grips?? I'm beginning to think the trend of less taper, or extra wraps under the lower hand might be bad for me.

Does anyone build up the top hand and INCREASE the taper? I'm beginning to think the bigger butt end helps me stabilize the swing easier and smaller bottom portion is better for finger manipulation and feel. It almost feels like a strong low hand can manhandle the club even easier when the portion it's attached to is bigger.

@A.Princey said:

Lamkin Z5’s seem to have quite a bit of taper and aren’t very pricy. You might give a couple of them a try.

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@A.Princey said:
    I'd say grip fitting should almost be in its own realm of the fitting process.

Its the FIRST of all parameters during fitting if we want to make it right, since Grip weight is part of both Total , and Balance, and the shape or taper is part of face angle timing, so it better be there from the start, and all the way to the end. Thats why i used compressed air for grips on all shafts for fitting, we used the grip the player wanted to play from the start, and if the player wanted to play a grip i did not have in stock, he would bring one to the fitting session.

Im not sure, but New Decade has a vary sharp taper, more than most others ive seen, so maybe thats the grip for you? (you dont say what model you play)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file