Iron shaft help

HappyGilmore22

Having a hard time deciding on iron shafts, so any input would be appreciated. This might be a bit scattered but the main shafts I'm trying to decide between are: DG X7, DG X100 hs, PX 6.5, KBS ctaper 130x.

I currently have DG X7 in my Mizuno's and I like them for the most part but they are definitely on the heavier side for iron shafts and the shorter irons feel overly stiff. Ball flight and spin numbers are in line with what I like to see and they are very similar to Ctaper 130x that I have used in an older set of AP2 718s. Problem is that I don't like the feel of the ctaper as much as DG, otherwise the ctaper 130x seem to fit me very well. Have tried out X100's but they balloon a bit and spin too much losing me a full club distance. Has anyone hard stepped X100's and have a comparison to DG X7 or KBS c-taper 130x? Wondering if that will be similar to those if I do that. Have also tried PX 6.5's and they actually feel similar to X7 but noticeably lighter. PX 6.5's definitely launch higher than these other shafts but otherwise seem to be ok, just light. Trying to stay away from PX 7.0's because if I go that stiff I'd just stick with X7s.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaft WEIGHT is #1 here, so what shaft weight would you prefer?

it seems to be above 125 as PX 6.5 and Below 132 grams as DG X7

If we soft or hard step we loose or add shaft weight equal to 0.5" for each step. Ive always used the #6 as example and X7 is 3.43 grams pr inch so SS1 = 1.7 grams down. Thats means X7 as SS1 should be considered to be 130.3 grams, and as SS2 only 127,6 grams

If 127,6 grams sounds good, but SS1 sound better on flex, then start by going SS2, to get the weight loss, then tip trim each shaft - yes Taper tips 3 to 4/8" depending on how much your hosel accept before we are prevented to get full insert. This makes them 1 CPM stronger for each 1/8". This way we can get the weight of SS2 and the flex as close as can be to SS1.

Just a tip if less shaft weight is wanted, and you are happy with the X7....It cost 1 or 2 shafts extra, depending on if 130.3 grams (SS1) or 127.6 grams (SS2) is the best weight option.

Just my 2 cents as a option to your thinking....

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

> @"Howard Jones" said:

> Shaft WEIGHT is #1 here, so what shaft weight would you prefer?

> it seems to be above 125 as PX 6.5 and Below 132 grams as DG X7

>

> If we soft or hard step we loose or add shaft weight equal to 0.5" for each step. Ive always used the #6 as example and X7 is 3.43 grams pr inch so SS1 = 1.7 grams down. Thats means X7 as SS1 should be considered to be 130.3 grams, and as SS2 only 127,6 grams

>

> If 127,6 grams sounds good, but SS1 sound better on flex, then start by going SS2, to get the weight loss, then tip trim each shaft - yes Taper tips 3 to 4/8" depending on how much your hosel accept before we are prevented to get full insert. This makes them 1 CPM stronger for each 1/8". This way we can get the weight of SS2 and the flex as close as can be to SS1.

>

> Just a tip if less shaft weight is wanted, and you are happy with the X7....It cost 1 or 2 shafts extra, depending on if 130.3 grams (SS1) or 127.6 grams (SS2) is the best weight option.

>

> Just my 2 cents as a option to your thinking....

Thanks for the info that's helpful, but makes it harder to decide on what I need at the same time. lol If I hard step PX 6.5's that will increase the weight some? How much stiffer will it make them?

Titleist ProV1

Just try the X7's soft stepped? I'm playing X100 but have a set of X7's I'm thinking about trying soft stepped 1x. I've used the X7 in the past and found them to be just a little too much shaft, both in weight and flex, for me. But I really like the feeling of control and I can't over spin them. I don't like C Taper at all, so that's out. I played PX 6.5 for years but I am not a fan of the feel any more.

For my next I'm between X100 HSx1, X7 SSx1, or something Nippon. Super Peening Blue is supposedly very similar to X100 but a little lower launch/spin. And the Modus 125 are supposed to pay just like X100 with better feel. Just some other options. Both are right around 130 grams and have dedicated wedge shafts making hard stepping a little more effective.

Taylormade Stealth Plus (9) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60

Taylormade Stealth Plus (15) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus (19) - Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80

Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100

Taylormade MG3 54.11 - DG Tour S400

Taylormade MG3 60.08 - DG Tour S400

Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

If you are looking for better feel, while keeping spin in check, I would look at Modus 130x or KBS $ Taper X. There isn't much that will spin less than C taper X though. They just feel terrible.

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

> @cw1209 said:

> If you are looking for better feel, while keeping spin in check, I would look at Modus 130x or KBS $ Taper X. There isn't much that will spin less than C taper X though. They just feel terrible.

Yeah the c tapers are a different feel but they do perform exactly as advertised. $ tapers seem decent but I can't justify the price of them when they are probably going to be about the same as PX which are no up charge through Titleist. I've been testing a PX 6.5 in a 7 iron and I'm finding that on course it flies about the same distance as my X7's but launch 10-15 feet higher. Balls spin on the green the exact same from their ball marks. From what I was seeing on trackman inside the 6.5's were spinning a ton and a club shorter but the on course results seem much better and I care more about that. Might just go PX 6.5's in my new set after seeing the results on course even though the ball does fly a touch higher than I want. Weight feels better the more I hit them with the X7's feeling heavier now to me. Wondering if hard stepping 6.5's might just bring the flight down a touch and maybe even fly a few yards farther.

Titleist ProV1

> @HappyGilmore22 said:

> Yeah the c tapers are a different feel but they do perform exactly as advertised. $ tapers seem decent but I can't justify the price of them when they are probably going to be about the same as PX which are no up charge through Titleist. I've been testing a PX 6.5 in a 7 iron and I'm finding that on course it flies about the same distance as my X7's but launch 10-15 feet higher. Balls spin on the green the exact same from their ball marks. From what I was seeing on trackman inside the 6.5's were spinning a ton and a club shorter but the on course results seem much better and I care more about that. Might just go PX 6.5's in my new set after seeing the results on course even though the ball does fly a touch higher than I want. Weight feels better the more I hit them with the X7's feeling heavier now to me. Wondering if hard stepping 6.5's might just bring the flight down a touch and maybe even fly a few yards farther.

It looks like you are considering new irons as well. I don't mean to talk you out of Titleist, but there are a few options that don't upcharge for KBS $ taper. Titleist is perhaps the most expensive option with the shortest list of no charge custom shaft options. If you are looking to stay with Mizuno, KBS $ taper will be a stock option for their MP20 series. I used to play Project X 6.5's and they are the prototype mid launch low spin option, but there are better feeling options now. If your goal is trajectory control and spin reduction, the iron head is just as important as the shaft. Take a look at the VCOG measurement in the Maltby Playability Factor ratings. Although MPF counts a high VCOG measurement as a negative feature, it might be a good thing for you. Irons like the MP-18 SC and TM P730 have really low MPF ratings and high VCOG's, but might the perfect thing for you to help control spin and trajectory. As an example, Bryson DeChambeau is a high spin, high flight player. Had to use DG X7 and Modus 130X to keep flight and spin down while playing cavity back Cobra Forged One irons. Now he plays DGTI S400 with Cobra MB irons. Hard/soft stepping will achieve a much much smaller result compared to changing flex, shaft, or head.

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

> @cw1209 said:

> > @HappyGilmore22 said:

> > Yeah the c tapers are a different feel but they do perform exactly as advertised. $ tapers seem decent but I can't justify the price of them when they are probably going to be about the same as PX which are no up charge through Titleist. I've been testing a PX 6.5 in a 7 iron and I'm finding that on course it flies about the same distance as my X7's but launch 10-15 feet higher. Balls spin on the green the exact same from their ball marks. From what I was seeing on trackman inside the 6.5's were spinning a ton and a club shorter but the on course results seem much better and I care more about that. Might just go PX 6.5's in my new set after seeing the results on course even though the ball does fly a touch higher than I want. Weight feels better the more I hit them with the X7's feeling heavier now to me. Wondering if hard stepping 6.5's might just bring the flight down a touch and maybe even fly a few yards farther.

>

> It looks like you are considering new irons as well. I don't mean to talk you out of Titleist, but there are a few options that don't upcharge for KBS $ taper. Titleist is perhaps the most expensive option with the shortest list of no charge custom shaft options. If you are looking to stay with Mizuno, KBS $ taper will be a stock option for their MP20 series. I used to play Project X 6.5's and they are the prototype mid launch low spin option, but there are better feeling options now. If your goal is trajectory control and spin reduction, the iron head is just as important as the shaft. Take a look at the VCOG measurement in the Maltby Playability Factor ratings. Although MPF counts a high VCOG measurement as a negative feature, it might be a good thing for you. Irons like the MP-18 SC and TM P730 have really low MPF ratings and high VCOG's, but might the perfect thing for you to help control spin and trajectory. As an example, Bryson DeChambeau is a high spin, high flight player. Had to use DG X7 and Modus 130X to keep flight and spin down while playing cavity back Cobra Forged One irons. Now he plays DGTI S400 with Cobra MB irons. Hard/soft stepping will achieve a much much smaller result compared to changing flex, shaft, or head.

>

Have honestly never looked into VCOG measurements but that's kind of interesting to me now. I am not really a fan of Mizuno MP series (don't hate me people). Have just always played Titleist since I was a kid so that's familiar to me, but did try out the 919 Tours this year which are nice. Looking at the VCOG though I'm not looking to move to a blade but AP2 and 919 Tours are both right at about .800. TM P760s were much higher around .850 and that's more of the type of iron I'd be looking into. I've hit those quite a bit and almost ordered them if it wasn't for TM custom shop telling me they were going to make my irons D2 SW no matter what when I asked for D4or5. Right now I'm looking to order T100's though which I'm assuming will be really close to the AP2 numbers wise.

Titleist ProV1