The 200 Yard Par 3 - How Do You Play It?

13»

Comments

• JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing guarding in front a 6 iron. Forced carry more like a 5

TM M1 2017 10.5 Tensei CK Orange 60x
    TM M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
    Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
    Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
    Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
    ProV1x
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
    Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
  • juststevejuststeve Members Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Neutral conditions it would be a 23 degree hybrid for me.

Steve

• gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 7,925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

if the middle of the green is 200y, i'll hit 6 (middle/back of the green) or 7 (pin front assuming the front edge is like, 185-190).

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set N/S) / HZRDUS Smoke Green Hulk 60 6.5TX tipped 1.25"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic Flash / 5 (set N/S) / BF 90TX Tipped 1.75"
    718 T-MB 2I / PX Flighted 7.0
    785 / 3-PW / PX 7.0
    RTX4 / 52, 59 / DG S400
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• golfer07840golfer07840 Smart ass from Northwest NJMembers Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

depends, 200 to the middle? how much to the front? Let's assume the green is 25 yards deep, 200 in the middle. So that's about 188/189 to the front. It's a 3HY for me.

Opinions are my own and are never to be taken seriously.
    and for God's sake, if you're going to whine about Jim Nantz, have the respect to spell his name correctly.
    WITTB:
    Driver: Callaway XHot Pro 9* Stiff
    3W: Tour Edge Exotics 13* Stiff
    3-4 HY: Callaway Rogue Stiff
    5-PW: Callaway Rogue Stiff steel, True Temper
    48* Titleist, 52* Callaway
    Putter: Nike Method
    Ball: ProV1 -- or whatever I find in the woods while looking for my ProV1

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Solid 4 iron.
    Occasionally...bladed lob wedge.

Titleist 915D3 9.5
    Titleist 917Fd @ 14.25
    Mizuno Clk 19, 22
    Titleist 716mb 4-Pw
    Vokey SM7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 8
    Titleist ProV1

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,839 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I play to 2-3 handi. Par 3 or.. My 180-yard club is either 4 or 5 iron, and my 200-yard club is 3 or 4i. Depend on conditions and actual yardage. Last weekend facing a full-carry over a deep ravine, 170 yards to Par 3 pin in the front middle quadrant, breeze crossing left to right. I hit beautiful 5i to 8'.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65 "6.0"
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 83 x5ct "S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So, when I posed this question it was in the context of some golf trips I had coming up that all seemed to involve 200 yard-ish par 3s. My local courses don’t have one, so it’s not a shot I practice and definitely a source of anxiety.

I played my first yesterday. Calamity Corner, the 16th at Royal Portrush, was a nerve-wracking introduction. 201 yards playing about 225 into the breeze and no room to go short.

A caddie said there was some room to miss left. I was using Titleist rental clubs and wasn’t used to the gapping even by the 16th. It was between a 818 hybrid that I was sure would go long and a AP2 4 iron that I hadn’t hit at all. I decided on the dreaded 4 iron and - uncharacteristically for the day - flushed it, landing pin-high left, and unfortunately feeding down into a collection area just off the green.

I wasn’t getting on with the Vokey wedges at all, so I hit a trappy 60* to 4 feet. Then, me being me, I missed the 4ft par putt with a $400 putter. Horrible bogey, but the tee shot said something of the advice expressed by some in this thread: hit a decisive shot, and expect to hit it well.

So, a bogey, but decent decisions and good execution followed by a junky putt. I’ll take it.

• smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

6 iron, smoked or easy 5i. If the hole is cut in the front or off the back is dead I'm going for that smoked 6i to help it hold the green.

• llewol007llewol007 4KidsGolfer ClubWRX Posts: 3,395 ClubWRX

Not sure if your question is in the approach of the hole versus what club you should use. If it is the latter, then obviously go with the club that will work in terms of distance taking into account any elevation change or if the wind is helping or hurting your shot. In terms of approach, like some have said, it all depends on the pin placement and the setup of the hole itself. Golf is all about risk reward and whether or not you can score (great birdie opportunity) or if hitting to the fat part of the green and making your par is just as good. Those are the two ways to really look at the hole from my opinion. If it were myself and Im a 4 handicap it can be hitting my 4 iron to where I want to putt from the best. It can vary from 5 iron to 5 wood depending on any elevation or wind interference in the shot and if the Pin is in a scoring position or it is in a sucker risk reward position.

Cobra F8 9* Aldila Rogue 60 3.0 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 14.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.3 X Stiff
    Cobra LTD 17.5 Degree Aldila Rogue 70 3.6 X Stiff
    Cobra Utility 20.5 DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black HHx1
    Cobra Pur 52/58 S200 
    Odyssey Grim Reaper 
    Vice Pro+/Snell Mtbx
  • PorscheFanPorscheFan Members Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@llewol007 said:
    Not sure if your question is in the approach of the hole versus what club you should use.

I deliberately left this open because I think the answer varies significantly by handicap and by person.

Some of us are thinking mainly about front-to-back dispersion, spin, and land angle. Can we find a club that will reliably get us the distance? If that club gets us there will it stop?

Others (many lower handicappers) are thinking more about placement and left-to-right dispersion. The preferred miss becomes a more specific place.

That’s maybe the more interesting part... What our individual considerations are when it comes to the dreaded long par 3.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file